Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Obviously, someone needs to get to the bottom of this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JaddaCaddra
Oct 3, 2013
Hah, I had forgotten all about the SOA game! God, what a crock. I'm glad I didn't buy that and played TLAD instead.

smg77
Apr 27, 2007
I'm sure development on the SoA game will pick up again after the Bastard Executioner game is released.

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

You people will by God act like a team, or at least like people who know each other, or I'll incinerate the bunch of you here and now.
I guess Sutter hasn't gotten to the bottom of things yet. He's bringing poo poo to the table.

Mayans MC in script development.

e: Really? Nothing? Did I miss the suicide pact? I missed the suicide pact, didn't I.

Pixelante fucked around with this message at 05:58 on May 12, 2016

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

If he's going to be as hands off as he claims, then I'm actually quite looking forward to this. I still dig the setting and idea a lot.

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

Junkenstein posted:

If he's going to be as hands off as he claims, then I'm actually quite looking forward to this. I still dig the setting and idea a lot.

Does anybody really believe he will be able to stay hands off? I give it half a season before the show runner departs over "creative differences".

JaddaCaddra
Oct 3, 2013
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/sons-anarchy-gets-new-comic-892579

I'm just gonna leave this here. Looks like it will be out in time for the spinoff, Mayans "FC"!

Does anyone know anything about this co creator? I don't think I've seen any of his work. I doubt Sutter will be "hands off," but if this guy has good writing chops he could be like Shawn Ryan was on The Shield, molding Sutter's ideas into something better and reigning in the crazier ones. Of course, Shawn Ryan was the only head writer on that show (if memory serves) and Kurt wasn't, so I don't know if the same thing could happen here. For all I know, Sutter could have this guy fired after two episodes. Hopefully that isn't the case though, but we'll see.

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005
Honestly, I'd be happy w/ just a different charter of SOA in another state - Texas - w/ a unique set of problems, preferably non-Shakespearean related.

Lose the 'guns from the Irish' shite and have a Redwood alumni transfer over for maximum intrigue. Make it Happy just for good measure.

All Sutter really needs is an excuse to continue branding SOA.

BrandonGK
May 6, 2005

Throw it out the airlock.
I can't wait for Katey Sagal's acoustic cover of La Bamba.

JaddaCaddra
Oct 3, 2013
Wasn't there supposed to be a series of books about the show done? What ever happened with that? Did it go the way of the game? I read the first one they did. Not a great read but surprisingly decent. I guess it's being replaced by the comic prequel.

Love Crime
Apr 4, 2016
Well, I've finally found another show on par with SoA in terms of the creator/writer/whoever's love of ridiculous rape plots: Outlander.

A show set in the 1700's in Scotland where Tobias Menzies (Brutus from Rome / Edmure from GoT) tries to rape a woman he just met 30 seconds ago and gets knocked out. Then he tries to rape her again a few months later and gets knocked out again. Then he decides to just rape the woman's husband and succeeds, then gets knocked out again. Shocking surprise, the husband secretly liked it and feels ashamed. Then the woman/husband take in a homeless child ward and Tobias shows up and rapes him too.

Somebody saw SoA and thought "challenge accepted"

JaddaCaddra
Oct 3, 2013
Well, not to defend gratuitous usage of rape in a story, but at least Outlander seems to restrict it to one character, from what you're telling us. You can at least say it's a quality of the character the writers made to try and make us hate him. SOA did that once and then decided to just make it something they randomly threw in every now and again for shock value.

Love Crime
Apr 4, 2016
Oh no, it's not just one character. There's a ton of other rapes going on, I was just listing the most ridiculous.

There's a roaming rape gang in Paris whose initiation is to rape a virgin, which leads to the woman from above having her other child ward getting raped in the street. Basically anybody who comes into contact with the two main characters is getting raped or nearly raped. The main woman from above also fights off other people trying to rape her that have nothing to do with Menzies' character.

It's complete :psyduck:

JaddaCaddra
Oct 3, 2013
Well dang. I wonder if the books are like that, or if the writing team is just adding those in for the shock value?

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005
Did the original pilot with Scott Glenn as Clay ever get released?

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Outlander actually delves into the trauma of rape with a fair degree of respect, though.

JaddaCaddra
Oct 3, 2013

Armyman25 posted:

Did the original pilot with Scott Glenn as Clay ever get released?

Not yet, as far as I know. I'd love to see it though, just to see how Scott Glenn and Emilio Rivera played their characters. Also, Juice with hair.

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

You people will by God act like a team, or at least like people who know each other, or I'll incinerate the bunch of you here and now.
AHAHAHAHA oh god, SoA broke Charlie, didn't it. I'm gonna make a bingo card for this pile of hot garbage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6rbPTQIdjmY

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Pacific Rim was good poo poo

JaddaCaddra
Oct 3, 2013
Charlie? That man is dead. There is now only Jax. Who is also dead. On the inside. Of a semi truck's grill.

I'm oddly still excited for the prequel comic, and the Mayans spinoff. Mostly because the word is Sutter won't be as heavily involved in those. I don't know if they'll end up working out that way, but yeah. Kinda iffy on the First Nine prequel show, but at least it's supposed to be more of a miniseries type of thing.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

Has anyone watched that new "Vice Principals" show with Walton Goggins (Shane in The Shield/Venus Van Damme in SOA)? Any good?

JaddaCaddra
Oct 3, 2013

suboptimal posted:

Has anyone watched that new "Vice Principals" show with Walton Goggins (Shane in The Shield/Venus Van Damme in SOA)? Any good?

Don't forget Boyd from Justified! :P I haven't got to yet but I'm gonna give it a shot once it has a few more episodes. It'll be cool to see him in something strictly comedic.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

suboptimal posted:

Yeah it's pretty good. Like a low-key Eastbound & Down. Goggins is kinda second fiddle to Danny McBride so far, but he's really funny.

JaddaCaddra
Oct 3, 2013
For some reason I'm now imagining Walton Goggins playing a Stevie-like role to Danny McBride. Is it anything like that?

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

JaddaCaddra posted:

For some reason I'm now imagining Walton Goggins playing a Stevie-like role to Danny McBride. Is it anything like that?

No he puts on a facade that he's a suck up but he is really a smart and devious rear end in a top hat. He's really loving hilarious and plays off well with the dumb idiot McBride is known for.

JaddaCaddra
Oct 3, 2013
Alright, good. I'm not sure if I could buy Walton Goggins being a Stevie Janowski. I can totally see the scenario this show is apparently putting forth. Which kinda makes me wish that Eastbound & Down had had a character like that for Kenny at some point, but oh well, this is even better! :)

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

JaddaCaddra posted:

Oh no they flesh him out a lot more in the second episode.

He's crazy as gently caress.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Did people see Michael Jace got life in prison? :stare:

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

Holy poo poo Julian

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

JaddaCaddra posted:

Alright, good. I'm not sure if I could buy Walton Goggins being a Stevie Janowski. I can totally see the scenario this show is apparently putting forth. Which kinda makes me wish that Eastbound & Down had had a character like that for Kenny at some point, but oh well, this is even better! :)

Ehhhh I guess Will Ferrell's car dealership guy might be a spiritual equivalent, but he was always an authoritative antagonist and not really well developed. In VP Goggins and McBride are on a level playing field more or less.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Kurtofan posted:

Finally after all these years we find out he WAS crooked too!

Schiavona
Oct 8, 2008

Kurtofan posted:

I mean, he kinda murdered his wife, didn't he?

JaddaCaddra
Oct 3, 2013

bring back old gbs posted:

Ehhhh I guess Will Ferrell's car dealership guy might be a spiritual equivalent, but he was always an authoritative antagonist and not really well developed. In VP Goggins and McBride are on a level playing field more or less.

Oh, that's pretty cool! The Ashley Schaeffer comparison makes me happy, since he was one of my favorite characters in Eastbound & Down. I've always wondered what the show would have been like if he had showed up more often and been developed a bit more, and this sounds like it might be kind of like what I pictured. I can't wait to check this out!

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."

Kurtofan posted:

First I've heard of this and holy gently caress, man! :stonk:

That'll make any reunions awkward.

And Walton Goggins is easily the best thing about "Vice Principals." He steals every scene he's in.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Schiavona posted:

I mean, he kinda murdered his wife, didn't he?

No "kinda" about it. I guess that's what years of repression does for you.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

quote:

Jace was arrested by the Los Angeles Police Department on the evening of May 19, 2014, at his Hyde Park, South Los Angeles home, following a domestic violence report, as well as Jace's own 9-1-1 call, in which he stated, "I shot my wife."[4] When police arrived, they found Jace's wife, April, dead from gunshot wounds. After being questioned by police regarding his wife's death,[5] Jace confessed to the shooting. On May 20, 2014, at approximately 2:30 am, Jace was arrested and booked for the murder of his wife.[1] On May 22, 2014, he was formally charged with murder by the Los Angeles County District Attorney's Office.[6] On May 31, 2016, Jace was found guilty of second-degree murder.[7] On June 10, 2016, he was sentenced to forty years to life in prison.[8]

This is why you never confess to anything kids

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

To be fair, his first mistake was shooting his wife.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

iajanus posted:

To be fair, his first mistake was shooting his wife.

It's an easy mistake to make

JaddaCaddra
Oct 3, 2013
Has anyone else read the new comic they made? I thought it was a pretty neat set up. It also features Jax Teller being talked to like he's an idiot and getting beaten up within twenty pages, which was refreshing to see after the show basically painted him as bullet proof genius until the last five seconds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
A random youtube foray led me to Gemma's death scene, and I don't know why I didn't notice it on the first watch, but her last words are the laziest, worst-looking composite shot imaginable. gently caress you, Kurt Sutter, you don't need to use a lovely green screen, because there is absolutely zero dramatic or artistic value in having both Jax and Gemma perfectly in focus for that.

• Locked thread