Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

nooneofconsequence posted:

That something else was the infinitely better and more respectable Vikings.

Dude left SoA to work on Vikings?

I mean, in terms of moving to a better quality show, it's a great decision. But I'd figure he'd take a hit in the salary department. I'd assume FX would be willing to pay a lot more than the History Channel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JaddaCaddra
Oct 3, 2013
I was always a little confused about that too. I guess he just felt more passionate about Vikings than he did SOA.

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

JaddaCaddra posted:

I was always a little confused about that too. I guess he just felt more passionate about Vikings than he did SOA.

He was still beefing with FX over how they mishandled Terriers. John Teller would have understood.

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."

smg77 posted:

He was still beefing with FX over how they mishandled Terriers. John Teller would have understood.

Speaking of Terriers (which is a great show, watch it on Netflix!), a retrospective podcast just started up Beach Cop Detectives in which they go episode-by-episode and interview cast, writers and producers of the show. They went over the pilot last week and today they just released an episode with Co-Executive Producer, Tim Minear.

UNRULY_HOUSEGUEST
Jul 19, 2006

mea culpa

JaddaCaddra posted:

Vikings season 1 had already filmed and aired with Logue in the last episodes, and for some reason Sutter and team thought they could get all they needed from him before his contract came up to fly back to Ireland for season 2. Also I don't know how cast salaries compare but some Googling reveals that Vikings season one cost about as much as SoA season 5, i.e. between $2 and 2.5 million per episode. How SoA's 90s-daytime-action-serial style production cost that much is a mystery to me. They sure as gently caress weren't hiring 8000 extras for their action scenes.

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

Maybe they had a bigger cocaine flowers budget on soa

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Goofballs posted:

Maybe they had a bigger cocaine flowers budget on soa

Vikings has a stretch of previously empty Irish countryside set aside just for the show. Having to film inside an active city with people in it means permits, irregular shooting schedules and other things that can really eat into a budget.

UNRULY_HOUSEGUEST
Jul 19, 2006

mea culpa

DarklyDreaming posted:

Vikings has a stretch of previously empty Irish countryside set aside just for the show. Having to film inside an active city with people in it means permits, irregular shooting schedules and other things that can really eat into a budget.

How much of SoA was filmed in an "active city" though. If it were like Mr. Robot where they're straight up shooting in Times Square I'd be on board but we're talking about a show literally set in generic Californian sprawl and still over half the exterior shots must be of a barn or a parking lot. Honestly I am more persuaded by the cocaine theory

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

GimpChimp posted:

How much of SoA was filmed in an "active city" though. If it were like Mr. Robot where they're straight up shooting in Times Square I'd be on board but we're talking about a show literally set in generic Californian sprawl and still over half the exterior shots must be of a barn or a parking lot. Honestly I am more persuaded by the cocaine theory

Ah, that drat barn, where all the double-crossings take place, time and time again. :allears:

Ellaybee
Jun 17, 2005

The Barn: Where the Bottom of It Is Gotten To

JaddaCaddra
Oct 3, 2013
I forgot about that freaking barn. The constant warehouse meetings are forgivable since it at least seems like something outlaw bikers would do and you can excuse them as being different places, but that barn was always the exact same location. Pretty sure they even gave it a name at one point.

Anyways, I'm reading issue two of "Sons of Anarchy: Redwood Original." It looks like whoever is writing it forgot about Otto being in the club. I guess he could be in prison by this point, but still, there have only been like, five members shown so far. The implication that this club's mother charter always had less than ten guys in it and somehow stayed one of the biggest gangs in a California city amuses me.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

GimpChimp posted:

How much of SoA was filmed in an "active city" though.

It was shot in LA. There was a chase scene in one of the later seasons that passed by the building they use as the exterior for Paddy's Pub in It's Always Sunny.

JaddaCaddra
Oct 3, 2013

William F Cuckley posted:

It was shot in LA. There was a chase scene in one of the later seasons that passed by the building they use as the exterior for Paddy's Pub in It's Always Sunny.

True, but outside of chase scenes they usually shot in the inactive parts of the active city, like warehouses, docks and barns.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

JaddaCaddra posted:

True, but outside of chase scenes they usually shot in the inactive parts of the active city, like warehouses, docks and barns.

Still need permits and and there's all the SAG and other union stuff. LA is expensive to shoot in, even if you're mostly on a studio lot.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Also FX was literally throwing bags of money to keep SoA going due to ratings.

JaddaCaddra
Oct 3, 2013

William F Cuckley posted:

Still need permits and and there's all the SAG and other union stuff. LA is expensive to shoot in, even if you're mostly on a studio lot.

That was just my sleepy attempt at being funny, but I actually did not think about the permits and stuff. Huh. I learned something new today. Neato!

Oh, also I didn't know that about them passing by Paddy's Pub either, so thanks for that too. I meant to mention that in my other post but it slipped my mind. I'm gonna have to give that a look. I love spotting stuff like that.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

JaddaCaddra posted:

Anyways, I'm reading issue two of "Sons of Anarchy: Redwood Original." It looks like whoever is writing it forgot about Otto being in the club. I guess he could be in prison by this point, but still, there have only been like, five members shown so far. The implication that this club's mother charter always had less than ten guys in it and somehow stayed one of the biggest gangs in a California city amuses me.

Yeah, that's the thing that always puzzled me. During the seasons where they were in prison, the first with the Aryans and then again when they had to deal with Pope, I was surprised to see how they had literally zero back up from any other bikers. Especially since you saw literally hundreds during that one episode in season 1 (or 2?) where they had that big shindig for...uh, something.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

The Irish pub they go to in Ireland is actually my buddy's Irish bar in the valley. That poo poo always cracked me up.

JaddaCaddra
Oct 3, 2013

Mr Interweb posted:

Yeah, that's the thing that always puzzled me. During the seasons where they were in prison, the first with the Aryans and then again when they had to deal with Pope, I was surprised to see how they had literally zero back up from any other bikers. Especially since you saw literally hundreds during that one episode in season 1 (or 2?) where they had that big shindig for...uh, something.

That had me scratching my head a few times too. The first season implies that those little table meetings are just the SAMCRO leadership and there are some other members we just don't see in a prominent role. You even see a few hanging around in the background at a few points and there are a lot of occasions where you can see more bikes parked outside the clubhouse. But then late in the season and throughout season two it's said that's all their members, they just get a lot of help from other charters and nomads, so I guess you could explain away those first two points by saying "Those background members were just Nomads or guys from other chapters, and those were where they parked their bikes when they were visiting, or they were just the other bikes of the SAMCRO guys." And then the rest of the show pretty much shows them lone wolfing it and occasionally getting help from or helping out other charters.

The size of the club on a national level seemed to fluctuate a lot, too. Like, in the beginning the writing implies they're an organization on the level of the Hells Angels or something. But then in season four, Lincoln Potter says something to the effect of "They're barely in the top ten" or "Not even in the top ten" or "Just under the top ten," something like that, which implies they're a mid-level club. But then the last few seasons have some lines that imply the club is made up of loosely associated charters that usually act independent of each other. It's like the club gradually shrank over the course of the show. Which I guess makes sense, since I sure as heck would jump ship if I had a guy like Jax leading me, haha.

Either way you cut it though, there's really no reason some of the plots they had going on should have been that big a deal. If the writers wanted these "Small Town Biker Club vs. Big Scary Evil Organizations" to have more of an effect, they really should have just, y'know, made the Sons a small town biker club from the get go.

ruddiger posted:

The Irish pub they go to in Ireland is actually my buddy's Irish bar in the valley. That poo poo always cracked me up.

Did it look very different through the green filter? :P

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Breaking Bad does the filter trick too, except better, and people care about what's going on. :smug:

Same with Better Call Saul.

JaddaCaddra
Oct 3, 2013
I think SOA's use of the filter was just an attempt at convincing people Ireland was just a greener (or bluer?) California.

Hardflip
Jul 21, 2007

http://deadline.com/2016/12/sons-of-anarchy-spinoff-mayans-mc-pilot-order-kurt-sutter-elgin-james-fx-1201862850/ no. just no

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I'm going to hate-watch the gently caress out of this.

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XmTPCvpPthU

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
In which Diego Molina, Jax's unlikely and never-before-mentioned childhood friend, is shaken up by the events leading up to Jax's death and pledges to get to the bottom of it.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

But what about the beef?

6EQUJ5 6 7
Sep 1, 2012

I'd do the same as you.
They'll find it at the table.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JaddaCaddra
Oct 3, 2013
I'm actually looking forward to this. Maybe it will actually end up being a decent watch. I'm not expecting Breaking Bad-tier good, but wouldn't it be amazing if it ended up with more acclaim than SOA after Sutter left? God, that'd be hilarious.

• Locked thread