Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

So whatever this show jumped the shark somewhere in Season 4 and should have ended probably last season. But anyone that is surprised that Tara was killed my Gemma shouldn't be. It's a Hamlet story y'all, everyone is gonna die and his mom dooms his fiance in the play by sending her to the crazy house. I'm not saying he's magically deep and brilliant, cause a lot of the poo poo that goes down is tiresome with what they get away with, but seriously that was coming from a mile away. Tara wasn't going to last through the season, either she was gonna kill herself to get her kids away from the club or basically what happened. Gemma will get hers next season, because I don't see how this goes for more than 1 more season. This show is going to end with the club completely dismantled and everyone dead save for whoever comes in to fill in the power void a la Hamlet (prb the black kingpin cause he's on top of poo poo).

I still feel like it was a p gut wrenching moment there at the end however contrived it was. Nothing nice can ever happen for anyone on this show, that's how I knew Tara was doomed the moment Jax decided to be a real adult and do what he should have done at the mid point of this season.

I'll keep watching because I'm invested at this point, but yeah it's been silly for a while the contrivances Sutter keeps coming up with to keep Jax around the show plodding along. I seriously will look forward to Jax offing Gemma, and I can only hope it's half as awful and graphic as what she did to Tara.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

Loosely based is the key here. In the play his mom gets his fiance sent to the looney bin where she kills herself. My gf figured that Tara would commit suicide to get away from the club, but instead we got Gemma going ape poo poo. Mom still killed his love so close enough for Sutter imo.

As for all that rape :iiam:

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

Everything that has gone wrong with the Club, almost in totality, inexorably ties back to Gemma. Even from before the show, all the conflicts that have doomed them are from Gemma being a psychopath. The fact that it hasn't caught up to her yet and the fact that it must is just about all that keeps me watching the show.

Abel is also a god damned ninja, always sneaks at just the right time when no one is looking to see his Grandma confessing awful poo poo. He's magical.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

poo poo got real, Juice is forever screwed, Lin got screwed. And now I'm left wondering how everyone yet gets killed because no one should survive from Redwood Original.

While the last 2 episodes have had some good moments though, still glad we've only got 2 left. At this point I'm not sure what's left in the tank to surprise or horrify me.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

That scene with Smitts was prb his best acting of the entire series.

Still think everyone in SAMCRO has to die. No way else around it, the whole club is going to burn because of Gemma and Jax.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

Junkenstein posted:

Actually, in general, people who binge-watched season 3 seem a lot less down on it than those of us who watched it week-to-week. Remember, the biggest complaint was that it spent too long spinning its wheels, and it does have a decent ending. Yes, looking back now, the cracks were all there, but we had no idea at the time just how bad it would get.

I started with this show in S4, came back and rewatched 1-2. I never finished 3 though. Everyone complained about how long they were in Ireland, except I got through 8 or 9 episodes and they still weren't there. Never watched those last few to see how that played out...so maybe it was still not very good and meandering and stupid.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

Jax is clearly going to die. Anyone who thinks otherwise is fooling themselves. It even feels inevitable he'll go out like his dad. We can only hope those kids get taken far away from the disaster that is Charming. This whole last episode wasn't even cathartic, because we all knew what was bound to happen. It finally did, and Sutter used the lamest shot and dialogue to get it done. 1 more episode and then I can fondly remember when this show was good. Also good for Juice on arranging to out not in I guess the most awful fashion.

Also Wayne went out like he lived, a bitch to be used as a means to the club's ends.

The Notorious ZSB fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Dec 8, 2014

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

Good chance he gets to see the letters and the unmolested manuscript from his dad that will be in Gemma's safe (it was one of the last things he actually asks Gemma about before offing her). It'll probably be the final nail in the coffin for him even though he basically looked resigned to death this last episode. Learning that literally everything he was trying to do was sabotaged from long long before he had a chance to do anything about it I expect will simply solidify his resolve to go out as is needed by the club.

Still hoping that it all burns and no one comes out of this. My only real question is how much epilogue time will we get? A bunch or none at all?

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

Noirex posted:

Hahahahahah people on my FB are praising Sutter's genius because the episode has ~~so much symbolism~~

ahahahahahahah This was the most overblown heavy handed pile of poo poo ending. Just wow.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I really want a gif of the Abelator spinning the ring Gemma gave him while staring poignantly out the window..."I'll be back."

The whole finale was laughable, maybe the only particularly good visual bit was him in the blanket looking like the reaper they wear on their backs. I liked that. There is a good show hidden in here, in terms of the large plot points as someone mentioned earlier, but Sutter dragged it out and jumped the shark with it so many times it was just too much to actually conclude.

The show would have been better if it had stuck to the internal conflicts and divisions of the club vs the club having to escape impossible situations they've found themselves in externally. All the best sequences are about the club members and their issues. "Gunrunning" might as well be synonymous with "all the boring poo poo outside the club".

It was also better when their biggest problem was what Mayan to beat up.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

DangerKat posted:

Season 3 was poorly pace but had a redeeming finale. Season 4 was a decent season and built perfectly to the death of Clay until Sutter changed his mind.

I'm quite sure the exact moment these threads turned into a hate watch of Sons is when the cartel turned out to be undercover CIA agents complete with badges. Just an awful finale and the show went downhill from there.

I think you've hit the nail on the head. I remember literally exclaiming something along the lines of "gently caress THIS DEUS EX MACHINA BULLSHIT" when they revealed themselves to be CIA. It literally ruined almost an entire season's worth of effort and story telling for the sake of ONE MORE SEASON. I think that plus the failure to get rid of Clay at the story appropriate point are probably when the show just totally took a dive for me.

You could have told a good smart story, instead once again the ego of the creator (much like Lucas & Star Wars) thanks to popularity I guess just took it right over that shark tank. Stringing it out with stupider and stupider poo poo to get them caught up in.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

The "Men of Mayhem" patch, was that a rank in the club or a symbol that the wearer is a heavy hitter that has murdered for the club?

This is a question I've always had, what warranted that patch as it seems extra special inside the club. Did you have to kill or only do something equivalently risky in terms of jail time?

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

My fiance loved SOA till Sutter ran it into the ground. Out of amusement we watched till Segal showed up. This was so laughably bad, it could only be hate watched. The accents :shudder:

God speed to anyone that actually burns away minutes watching whatever this crap is FX let him produce.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

My fiance asked about whether we should watch Southpaw, then I mentioned Sutter made it and we both decided it was better not to bother.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

Propaganda Machine posted:

A random youtube foray led me to Gemma's death scene, and I don't know why I didn't notice it on the first watch, but her last words are the laziest, worst-looking composite shot imaginable. gently caress you, Kurt Sutter, you don't need to use a lovely green screen, because there is absolutely zero dramatic or artistic value in having both Jax and Gemma perfectly in focus for that.

I did not notice that but wow yeah that's like symbolic of the entire last season. Lazily cut together because who the gently caress knows why.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

Wait Korn is still an active band? Who knew?

• Locked thread