Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice
OP, can you add a rule against racist bullshit naming stories in your post? At least for the more obvious idiocy like the entries below, most of which are so common as to have their own Snopes entries:
http://www.snopes.com/racial/language/names.asp
http://www.snopes.com/racial/language/le-a.asp

Lotish posted:

My father met a woman during a pre-sentence investigation whose name was spelled "L-a," but pronounced "La dash ah." HER PARENTS PRONOUNCED THE DASH!

BrigadierSensible posted:

I have heard this too. A mate of my brother's has a child called "La-la". When I asked why they would name their kid La La, (perhaps after the Tellytubbie), he corrected me, and they too pronounce the dash. But there's no space, so instead of being "la dash la", her name is "ladashla"

Poor little stupidly named girl.

funkybottoms posted:

My mother was a NICU nurse and came across a number of good names:

"Ma'am, before you leave the hospital, we need a name to put on the birth certificate."
"Oh, but I did name her"
"Um, it just says 'female' Lastname here, ma'am."
"No, that's my baby's name"
"Female?"
"No, Female (fuh-mall-ee)"
"Ma'am, are you sure you want to name your baby that? It's going to be really rough on her, and other children are probably going to tease her about it."
"But Diarrhea is such a pretty word!"

No one has ever done any of these. Ever. And you will notice usually it's not the person himself/herself who says they themselves encountered this, it's a friend or relative. The race of the people in the stories above may have been removed, but that doesn't change their frankly awful racist origin.

jojoinnit posted:

Constipated posted:

Aida
Arian
Ben Breedin
Golda
Tavish
As are Tavish and Golda.

Aida's a perfectly real and normal name, too. A name isn't terrible just because it's foreign as opposed to traditional to English-speaking parts of the world. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice

funkybottoms posted:

Notice that I made a follow-up comment both admitting that I likely misremembered a joke overheard when I was like eight years old and that I was unaware of it being a "thing." I'd certainly show my mom those links if she wasn't dead. Sorry.

It's great you understand that it was a joke now and accepted the correction, but seriously, yours was something like the third tired racist joke near the beginning of the thread. You'll notice I quoted several other posts.

You can take it as a personal insult against your mom if you want, but honestly? The reason I quoted the offending posts and asked the OP to put it in the first is so that a promising thread stays funny without more stupid "I totes knew a guy who knew a La-a!" posts making GBS threads it up.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice

A Moose posted:

Pretty sure Theron is an actual name people sometimes have. But holy crap Nazim. Best name on that list. He is almost certainly named after someone's D&D character or something.

Nazim is a perfectly normal Arabic name. White people can be Muslim, too. So can Arabs, for that matter.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice
This is fairly tame compared to most of the other names, but my childhood dentist was Dr. Bonkers.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice

Dogbrisket posted:

Other winners included kids named after lowbrow liquor (Alize) bad cologne (Drakkar) and probably a half dozen or so Tupacs. also, the requisite girls named aftrr luxury cars.

Well, to be fair, if you mean by that Mercedes, Lexis/Lexus, and/or Porsche, those are all legitimate names and have been since well before any cars existed. Though Porsche maybe was more of a surname until comparatively recently.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice

Bonster posted:

Portia is a legitimate first name. Porsche is not. It is a surname, though. Alexis was around before Lexis/Lexus, and Lexis was sometimes used as a first name, but Lexus was not (except as an occasional attempt at a creative respelling, but not as something that would be traditional for anywhere. Lexis, too, would probably not predate cars as a formal name).

Point taken. Though I admit I don't always think using a surname as a first name is inherently terrible (except when it's obviously a patronym/matronym, like MacKenzie), so the German spelling of Portia as a first name doesn't bug me at all.

Bonster posted:

Mercedes definitely was - it's an appellation of the Virgin Mary (Mary of the Mercies). It's actually a really popular name in many countries.

As are other appellations derived from the Virgin Mary, such as Consuela (from Nuestra Señora del Consuelo, Our Lady of Consolation), Dolores ( María de los Dolores, Mary of Sorrows), Pilar (María del Pilar, Mary of the Pillar---this one isn't so common in my experience, though), and Rosario (Nuestra Señora del Rosario, Our Lady of the Rosary).

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice
edit: NVM

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice

Khazar-khum posted:

Depending on where in the Spanish world they come from, that's a legitimate pronunciation.

I'm pretty sure that's an Italian surname. Especially any variant with a D' in front of the Esposito part.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice

Krustic posted:

I used to work with a guy named Richard Faglie, I also went to school with a Rebel Davis and my personal favorite Bob Oso. For you goons who aren't too hip on your spanish slang, boboso means idiot.

More specifically, a drooling idiot. :eng101:

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice

Bampf Kerpow! posted:

I just started reading this thread, and I know this is from the first page, but holy poo poo, lol. That's my mom's name. :) It's a Mexican name. She usually does go by Maria though.

Nothing even remotely wrong or weird with Margarita as a middle name---the first few pages just had a few overly enthusiastic contributions. Anyway, it's my mom's middle name, too, so :hfive:

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

Shaquille is a pretty strange name itself.

I think it's meant as a variant of Shakil/Shakeel, which is an Arabic name.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice

Leelee posted:

It's not a stupid name, but I had a roommate named Kara. She was from Rhode Island, and due to her accent, the way she pronounced it was "Chaah-rha". She didn't mind if you said simply "Car-ah", but due to her accent and the way her friend said her name, I felt like I was never quite getting it right. Same with a classmate named Helena who was Hispanic. Couldn't quite get the guttural Spanish "H" right to say her name correctly, but again, she didn't care if you said it "Hell-enna" or even "Elena".

The Spanish h is silent, so I'm really not sure what the issue here was. It's either a pronounced h or completely silent. The e is pronounced differently, though, which would be where you'd hear the real difference.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice

squeegee posted:

Estrella is a pretty normal Spanish name and it's common to call children by the -ita suffix. I guess if they aren't Spanish speakers or don't have any Spanish ancestry it's a little bit weird, but otherwise :confused:

I was about to express confusion over this as well. Estrella's perfectly fine and as for the diminutive, hell, I'm in my late 30s and I still get an -ito added to my name when I'm from my mom, uncles, aunts, and older cousins.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice

AmateurHuman posted:

I was in the grocery store and this huge woman was telling for her kid down the aisle. "Come here, Chlamydia!"
:doh:

No you loving didn't. Also, maybe read the first post.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice
I'm hazarding something like ksh-chot based on Wikipedia's IPA pronunciation for the name.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice

Lotish posted:

So it's more "Pushp-Indra?" That doesn't seem so bad at all. Indra being a leader of the devas and Pushp being a common place name, it makes a lot of sense.

Google says it means "king of flowers." Apparently pushpa is Sanskrit for flowers, so I'm guessing the -ndra is the king part (or my Google search was lazy, one or the other!).

flakeloaf posted:

Why are there feminized masculine names (Henrietta, Georgette) but not masculinized feminine ones? Meeting one "Elizabob" would make me feel a lot better about all the Paulettes.

There's Mario (derived from Maria, not the other way around).

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice

Jippa posted:

What sort of name is "oral"? I remember a character in the usual suspects was called that.

Apparently it's the Swiss form of the name Aurelius.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice

Brother Jonathan posted:

While "schmuck" is an insult in Yiddish, it is also a family name in Germany, and one of them moved to New York City: The Atlantic: Sister Schmuck Takes a Stand.

Schmuck is also just a regular German word. Its meaning is "jewelry" or "decoration."

Avshalom posted:

I'd like to see a Swiss version of 'One Hundred Years of Solitude' now. Oral, Oral Johnny, Colonel Oral, Oral the Second, the seventeen doomed Orals, it would delight highschool literature students everywhere

I would get a chuckle out of it myself (well, assuming I could read German well enough, and specifically a Swiss dialect of it, to understand).

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

City/place names aren't that unusual if they're just one word names. Austin, Boston, London, Denver, Cheyenne, Paris, Brooklyn...a lot of places are named for people, anyway. If people were naming their kids stuff like Salt Lake City or El Paso or Colorado Spings I'd be a lot more perturbed.

Austin and Denver were names first... those cities were named after people.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice
Nothing terrible about wanting your name pronounced right, though.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice
Tephany is a real last name. Maybe someone decided to snag it to use as a first name, like MacKenzie. That's the most charitable spin I can put on it.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice

rodbeard posted:

Way back in this thread someone posted hard evidence of someone naming their kid Abcde for the same reason.

Was that the supposed real and not at all photoshopped screenshot of a college admissions database?

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice
At least the two decidedly less common Roman ones are the middle name. Lucas on its own is pretty normal.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice
Candida comes from Latin candidus, which means shining or bright, but also can mean white. Candida is a perfectly valid name in both Spanish *and* English, incidentally. St. Candida is one of the very earliest saints in Christianity, plus the name got a bit of a boost in the English-speaking world from George Bernard Shaw's comedy of the same name.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice

schadenfraud posted:

Spanish names: Inma, short for Inmaculada Concepcion (Immaculate Conception), and Mamen, short for Maria del Carmen. Also, a lecturer known as Angeles (Angels), whose full name was Maria de Los Angeles y de Los Dolores. Mouthful. Oh and Chairo, short for nothing as far as I know, but still weird.

How are these terrible names? They're standard nicknames (except maybe Chairo, never came across that one before). Not Angeles, I guess, but it makes sense and certainly isn't a terrible name.
nicknames. I can't remember the last time anyone in my family called me by my given name.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice

sweeperbravo posted:

Did part of your post get eaten there?

Yes, I had a bit more about nicknames and their prevalence in Latin culture that I apparently deleted without noticing. This is what I get for trying to rush an iPhone post.

No great loss, though. On with the horrible names!

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice

VorpalBunny posted:

From this terrible Facebook forward, we meet Airryn and Adasyn. It took me a few moments to parse out what the hell their names are supposed to be.

:bravo:

That is one smug looking six-year-old.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice
Aleta? (Really hoping it's not Horrit.)

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice

Crow Jane posted:

Yup. My mom nixed Galadriel, so dad had to get sneaky and actually find it in a baby name book before suggesting it.

My younger brothers both have totally normal names, I think my folks were either more hippy-ish when I was born or they thought they'd have more leeway with a girl.

At least he picked a nice name out of all the fantasy ones he could have snuck by your mom. Aleta's definitely not a terrible name.

I don't know what it is about girl names, though. One of my friends and his wife seriously considered naming a daughter Amara after a D&D character... but his wife wound up having a boy, which received a perfectly nice name in common usage.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice
I wish so much her first name had been Hazel.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice

Istari posted:

Overheard a woman telling off her overweight 6-year-old son, Titan.

And I met a woman whose name is Mischa, pronounced Miz-cha.

I'm used to seeing it without the c, but otherwise not sure what the problem with Mischa is. A bit uncommon, and kind of weird how in English-speaking cultures it's feminine rather than masculine, I guess, but not seeing how it's *terrible.*

Also kind of hoping Titan *is* that kid's real name because otherwise that mom was just being cruel and picking on her kid. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice

Memento posted:

This thread can be for cool as hell names as well, right?

Alberto Lobo-Guerrero Sanz, the middle part of which translates from Spanish as Wolf-Warrior.

If you want to take it further, Alberto ultimately comes from Adalbert , the components of which mean "bright and noble," and Sanz from Latin sanctus, "holy." So Bright and Noble Holy Wolf Warrior.