Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Oh God, I hope he lives in a caravan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Can't remember if I've posted this before but sometimes at my work I spot the family name 'Lickfold'. Also 'Wellbeloved' but that's kinda nice.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Yeah it's like how 'spaz' reads as horribly offensive in the UK but, at least until recently, Americans think nothing of it. Just one of those things. Sorry you're dealing with that, Fleta.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

I dunno I kind of don't hate Tequila.

There's a family in my hometown called Lickfold.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Pope Hilarius II posted:

Apparently Patricia Routledge, the actress who portrayed her, was a lovely woman though.

But yeah, some things can hit too close to home. I knew a guy once whose antics and behaviour were incredibly similar to Ace Ventura, hence I didn't think the Ace Ventura character was funny in the slightest.

Yeah I couldn't enjoy Absolutely Fabulous. Still can't tbh.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

What's wrong with Poppy? All those flower names are coming back into fashion, we have a crop of em in my family.

Best surname around my town is Lickfold.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

All solid usernames.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Look out! Here comes the Jello Sheriff!

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

PureRok posted:

There's other ways to pronounce Anna? I can't figure it out, but I've never seen Frozen, so I guess my brain hasn't been broken yet.

You can pronounce the first vowel sound as a short A or a long one.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

dirby posted:

"Long A" usually refers to the diphthong vowel sound in a word like "rain", which is neither "the ash vowel found in the usual American pronunciation of Anna" (sometimes called "short A") nor "the vowel used in the pronunciation of 'Anna' in Frozen, which is close or identical to the vowel in 'hot' in most dialects of English".

Well I feel foolish.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Normalise naming girls just their dad's name but with an A at the end.

I mean my name would be Patricia which is a thing, so.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

DorkusMalorkus posted:

This person had an interview at my place of business today:

I don't have anything to do with the interview/hire process so I don't know if we're going to hire him. Hopefully he goes by Levi or something.

Honestly if I were making hiring decisions it'd be quite difficult *not* to hire someone called Leviathan Mitten.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Lady Disdain posted:

Sorry, did you read his CV ? "A subtle mix of charisma and genuine concern" ?
Unless the job is writing poncy descriptions for restaurant menus, no name is going to save this lad.

Oh I'm sure he'd suck but Leviathan Mitten! A very big mitten or a mitten made for a whale? Or both??

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Marlon couldn't even be bothered to come up with a last name.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Astrofig posted:

There's a Symonena and a Calandaria having birthdays today, and a guest named Katonna arriving in two weeks.

Those are unusual but I don't think they wholly suck. Those people *are* going to spend their whole lives spelling their names for people but then, my first name is Irish so I constantly have to do that too.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Lady Disdain posted:

Like, Rafe. /ɹeɪf/ I guess.

That's just Ralph Fiennes as far as I know though maybe all posh Ralphs are said like that.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Are good names allowed? Because my niece has a cousin named Brandon Steele and that's an astonishing name for a toddler to have. He's the coolest person in any room he's in by default.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

My mum sometimes sees a neurologist called Doctor Axon. I find that very satisfying because it's so specific.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Runcible Cat posted:

I once stunned a Lincolnshire guy by calling him a yellowbelly. He didn't expect that from a Londoner.

But yeah, that's a hell of a one. How many explanations are there for it?

I was curious and went to wikipedia. The reason folk from there are called that is after the town's coat of arms. But the reason there's a dog on the coat of arms seems to have quite a few explanations, as usual. Also Mary, Queen of Scots, was from there! Looks like a nice enough place.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why the hell isn't it Liberty Belle? Step too far? Tsk.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

There are a lot of little Alfies around here but not many are actually called Alfred.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Samovar posted:

It's not anyone specifically, but does anyone know when Carol and Karen stopped being unisex?

Poked around a bit and Carol took a big plunge in popularity as a boy's name in the US in about 1950, a few years after it took a big spike in popularity as a girl's name. So I'm guessing maybe the reason people stopped using it for boys was because it became more perceived as a common girl's name. There's no good data about why though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

The one that gets me is 'Todd Bonzales' and like, it's only one letter away from a completely normal common name, and it kills me for some reason.