Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

treiz01
Jan 2, 2008

There is little that makes me happier than taking drugs. Perhaps administering them, designing and carrying out experiments that bend the plane of what we consider reality.
I know a girl named Me'Lisa who is engaged to a guy named Shadoe Rowe. They have named their children Lestat and Zephyr...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

treiz01
Jan 2, 2008

There is little that makes me happier than taking drugs. Perhaps administering them, designing and carrying out experiments that bend the plane of what we consider reality.
So earlier I posted two names given to children of someone I know, but she just popped out a 4th kid (at the ripe old age of 22 I might add) and this one takes the cake. The fact that she spells her own name Me'Lisa says it all I think.

Her other children are named Lestat-Zachery Anderson, Ericka-Storm Anderson, Zephyr Rowe, and she is engaged to a guy named Shadoe Rowe. :ughh:

treiz01
Jan 2, 2008

I remember my mother telling me about one of the ladies she taught with at elementary school. Her first name was Sunday and she married a man whose last name was Friday. Sunday Friday.

treiz01
Jan 2, 2008

Last week I bumped into a girl from high school whose name is Aranda (no I didn't spell that wrong) I guess her parents decided she was such a special snowflake that the name Amanda just wasn't special enough. She has decided to continue this unfortunate trend by naming her son Dreco...

treiz01
Jan 2, 2008

RazorBunny posted:

We named a cat Zipporah, but that doesn't really count.

Neither does my favorite nickname of all time, but here it is. I had the great pleasure of working with a Lefty, who of course had no left arm and a wicked scar around his neck from a motorcycle accident that left his spinal column exposed. The stump of his left arm had a Harley Davidson logo tattoo'd on it, with the left wing torn off and a pool of blood under the logo. Rock on Lefty, you had the best perspective on life of anyone I've ever met.

treiz01
Jan 2, 2008

TheMightyHandful posted:

I used to work at a bank, some shockers:

Abcde pronounced Absidee.
A-a pronounced Adasha.
Camerondiaz s a first name.

I decided to google Adasha, and it told me that in that form it is an actual name, an old near east combo that means "beauty" or "noble".

The other has to be bullshit though and I wouldn't accept it without proof.

treiz01
Jan 2, 2008

IronClaymore posted:

My own IRL name is kinda messed up. It's mostly the same as, and pronounced like, a relatively normal name, but looks like someone did a typo. It's actually more aesthetically pleasing (I think) then the normal spelling, but still, unusual. It's actually so distinctive that a long while ago, when I still gave free money to Blizzard, a random person's character had my real name, and because I had never seen my name before in any context I did a double take and almost followed that guy trying to find out where he got the name from. Later I found out it from a random selection of syllables for random names they give World of Warcraft characters. :confused:

Turns out my parents named me for some weird artist who no one has ever heard of but was momentarily popular around the time I was born.

I feel like a 27 year old version of the "Aeris" or "Cloud" kids. Only not quite so bad. People will remember FF7 for decades to come, but I was named for someone way more obscure. I can pass off for just being a really bad typo on the birth certificate, while they're doomed forever as being the children of nerds.

Is it Ander?
I had a friend named Ander for a few years and his name explanation was bizarrely similar.
Also I knew a Polish girl named Kinga Korbus. She told me that Kinga was the name of a beautiful queen of Poland, but wikipedia says she was only princess and doesn't mention her looks. This name was ironic to me because Kinga was not beautiful.

treiz01
Jan 2, 2008

I got another good one! Someone I know has named their baby boy "Kahless", as in the legendary Klingon warrior. I'm actually stunned. I mean, I googled Kahless and only the Star Trek definition came up. What the gently caress Sarah?

treiz01
Jan 2, 2008

Another Facebook special, a girl I know has named her newborn son "Kahless" as in, the Klingon warrior. She is completely aware of the connection because her last post was about the tattoo of her son's name she will be getting... in Klingon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

treiz01
Jan 2, 2008

HEGEL SMOKE A J posted:

As long as the grammar and orthography on the tattoo is correct I see no problem? :confused:

Would you name your child Odo or Garak, just because they are cool Star Trek characters? Kahless is going to have a lifetime of people thinking his name is weird and having to explain that his namesake is a minor character in a fictional universe. Maybe he'll roam from town to town, Bat'leth strapped to his back, searching for the mother who gave him that awful name.