Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

Ugly In The Morning posted:

It’s a type of rock... and if you’re thinking “oh, I bet it’s a type of rock that gets used in all sorts of crystal healing bullshit”, you would be 100 percent correct!

wouldn't it make more sense for volcanic rocks to be used in JO crystals though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

It's not any different in Europe, it seems. Last year, I had ten students in my class. Six were boys. Two were Guillem and one was Guillermo.

That is true. Some names here in Flanders are perennial, like Jan or Marie, but others a very much a generational thing. Over here, if your name is something like Luc, André or Rita, there's a 95% chance you were born in the '50s or '60s. I have a name like that as well, which is an incredibly obvious '80s name. In the maternity ward, there were two other newborns with my first name! The upside of this is that it's a little harder to find information about me if you don't really know me because my last name is also fairly common in Belgium and the Netherlands. One of my namesakes is a CEO and another one is a lowkey prime athlete, so that muddles the search results quite a bit.

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

My first year in college (2005), I lived on an all girls' floor. Out of ten girls, three were named Amanda.

Heh. I have one American ex-girlfriend, and that was her name, too.

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

TheKennedys posted:

If someone has a singsongy name I can't help but append a singsongy middle name to it to complete the rhythm, I feel like that's how a lot of those names happen. It feels very Southern, yes. It's gotta be the right combo of first name with the stress in the right place and short middle name to work, which is basically why my daughter's names are in the order they are. It's the rhythm of the name for me at least, and probably the era when there were less first names and everyone was called Mary or Sarah that led to dual names like that. I dunno why this thread and names overall are so interesting to me but I love this poo poo :v:

something like Beauregard Cletus Jackson, or?

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

that... that simply can't be true?

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

I don't know where it's a common name, but whenever I hear the name 'Moreno', I'm always reminded of the word "moron". It's a deeply stupid name.

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

TheKennedys posted:

Pope Hilarius reminds me that I have a friend called Larry who I knew for nine months IRL before bothering to add him on Facebook, where I realized his real name was Hilario

I know it's an actual name but it was never an option that had crossed my mind I guess

Of course. My user name isn't just Pope Hilarius II for funsies, there actually was a Pope Hilarius in the 5th century. I hope he was as funny as his name suggests.

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

maybe he just enjoyed silly dad jokes, so they called his successor Pope Eyerollius

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

I had a housemate named Chiffon for a while.

First names:
Daxly
siblings Kaige and Zaige
Clarizaneth :black101:
Chaise
Phelan
Hatter
Brynx
Hanklee
Kathern (pronounced like Katherine)
Prebble
Kynser
Shirlnita
Jipsy
Misty Dawn
Danial
Baylin
Kaleesi Faith
Xiyan
J'Liyah
Jyrone
Loburta
Luv
Earrita
Raydynn
K'leigh
Peighton
Ilagean
Ellowene
Caelob
Kodiey
Za'quany
Velvet Noel
Starlet
Axxila
La'korion
Maelee
Sharlotte
Honor'lise
Timberly
Knoberly
Paizlee
Labecca

Last names:
Szczys
Fall Leaf
Melting Tallow (this is apparently a First Nations name)
Sidebottom
Laffoon

Full names:
Reid Wine
Gwendolyn Grapes
Faye King
Kitty Hummer
Hudson Miracle

Most of these sound like they came straight from the fat-addled mind of George Lucas

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

Lady Disdain posted:

I know tradition is tradition, and your name is your name. But there are plenty of other names that have had their spelling changed to match their pronunciation. So why wouldn't you do that with a name that has an embarrassing spelling ? Just stubborn determination ?

Yes. They once interviewed someone on Flemish television with the surname Kut ("oval office"), it was an old lady and she defiantly said: "well I am a proud oval office".

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

Phlegmish posted:

The interview team is on its way,

Consisting of Phlegmish and myself, you'll recognise us by our Mediaeval clothes and our pious facial expressions

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

HiroProtagonist posted:

I don't think you're allowed to say that word anymore

Only if you're from the region between Mons and Liège, otherwise you're just a sparkling French speaker

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

Fader Movitz posted:

Two names I ran across at work

Gunbro

Assgärd

Edit: they kinda make sense in Swedish I guess even if they look funny to English speakers.

Reminds me: I once had to call up a woman named Mrs. Tits.

I also had a colleague whose name was Frank Guns, which is a pretty normal Belgian name but funny to English speakers because it made him seem like a Chicago-era crimelord. He was a very gentle, soft-spoken man though.

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

Today I learnt there is a councilman and MP in Belgium called Franky Demon

https://www.frankydemon.be/

You don't pronounce it as "demon" in English but it's funny nonetheless, especially in combination with his first name, like he's just a friendly demon named Franky.

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

You might have heard of the Renaissance physician Paracelsus, right?

Well, apparently his full name was Philippus Aureolus Theophrastus Bombastus von Hohenheim.

I mean, each of his subsequent names sounds more like that Inception BRRRRAAAAAAAHHHH sound than the previous one.

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

Apparently Patricia Routledge, the actress who portrayed her, was a lovely woman though.

But yeah, some things can hit too close to home. I knew a guy once whose antics and behaviour were incredibly similar to Ace Ventura, hence I didn't think the Ace Ventura character was funny in the slightest.

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

A year or two ago there was a food scare around chicken eggs in the Low Countries, and the Dutch PR person of the poultry association was called Hennie De Haan ("Hen the Rooster").

I also had a teacher for Greek, Latin and French whose name was Frans Van Parys ("Francis of Paris", but 'Frans' also means "French" in Dutch).

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

3D Megadoodoo posted:

I say turd all the time.

Turd.

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

Lady Disdain posted:

Brother of Andy Pandy.

Reminds me of notorious Belgian serial murderer Andras Pandy. Together with his daughter, with whom he also had an incestuous relationship, they murdered at least 6 people (mostly family members) and dissolved them in acid.

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

3D Megadoodoo posted:

New names endorsed in 2020:
Zwakman

Do they realise that this is literally Dutch for "weak man"

Also it was my understanding that Finnish didn't have a Z?

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

Speaking of names, does anyone know why some months are acceptable as names and why some aren't? I mean, barring August, which originally is a name anyway.

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

cptn_dr posted:

How dare you?! My frind Ehnna will hear of this!

"The rivolution has begun!"

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

Antivehicular posted:

I've always wondered about that re: guys named Dick UnfortunateSurname. Most of them must be legally named Richard, right? Why go by Dick when you could be Richard, or Rich, or Rick? Was Dick just so ubiquitous a nickname that they would have been seen as weirder not to use it?

I realize the answer, at least for the older guys, is probably that their surname didn't have unfortunate slang connotations until later in their lives, so they got used to being called Dick and didn't want to change... but I still wonder.

In some cases it's total unawareness. I had a colleague whose last name was De Cock and his brother was named Dick. It wasn't a terribly uncommon name in the Dutch-speaking world back when he was born (~1960s) and most Dutch speakers didn't know about the connotation either 'Dick' or 'Cock' held. Unfortunately this man became a sales rep in England.

Sometimes things just come together in unbelievable ways. A friend of mine worked in the city of Antwerp and she had a Dutch-Moroccan colleague whose name was Bennawel Azuzat, which, especially with an Antwerp accent, sounds exactly like "oh man I'm so drunk". In another city this wouldn't have led to so much giggling.

Teketeketeketeke posted:

Eh, OED says "dick = penis" has been around at least since the late 1800s

I think that connotation was widely popularised much later.

Oddly in Flanders we have the same thing going on with the name 'Piet' (short for Pieter or Peter), which is slang for dick. I don't know of any Piets who were born after, say, 1980.

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

Marcade posted:

My first name comes from a neighbor's dog and my middle comes from another neighbor's cat, so...

Also, saw two Dicks today (:v:), Dick Hardin and Dick Jones. Dick Jones just made me think of Robocop.

I think Dick Jones really was called Richard, Clarence says "Take a look at my face, DICK," after RoboCop beat the crap out of him at the warehouse, then later calms down and says "We could be friends after all... Richard."

Anyway I have an OCP coffee mug, it rules.

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

Mescal posted:

Most of those aren't names. Quintus, Sextus, and Septimus were praenomia. Ocavianus was a praenomen later, modeled after the nomen Octavius. They didn't refer to birth order, rather the month one was born in. Presumably one who could have been named the nonexistent Tertius was instead called Marcus. But this connection wasn't known by everybody in the Republican period--by then they had become just names, not necessarily named after month born any more. Apparently some women were named Prima, Secunda, etc, but I would guess these were less "names" and more an expansion of calling her Minor or Maior, with recordkeeping omitting a redundant-seeming first name ("everybody knows she'd be Julia, you don't need to write it down.")

Bonus: Postumus doesn't mean posthumous--but it usually indicates it, because it means "the final."

They were both praenomina and ordinal numbers. Don't you think that someone named Quintus wouldn't pause to think that the expression for, say, "the fifth soldier" ("miles quintus") would sound an awful lot like his name? Or what do you think Latin used for ordinal numbers? Like Russians, Romans had three names (usually), so that's why their praenomina didn't matter all that much in the long run of things.

Postumus does mean "posthumous" by the way, it indicates the kid was born after his dad already died. So, yes, final, kinda, but not really.

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

Lieutenant Lemony Lime

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

rodbeard posted:

I just remembered that guy named MegaZone who registered an account here to defend legally changing his name to MegaZone and immediately got banned for the stated reason of being named MegaZone.

To date he's also behind the only redtext I've ever gotten, I think, and I didn't even burn him that badly on his obviously ludicrous name

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

OwlFancier posted:

old norse haugr (which I think also gives us "high")

they're cognates but I don't think 'high' directly derives from 'haug' (consider Dutch 'hoog' and German 'hoch')

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

Zudgemud posted:

In swedish the word "hög" is used for pile/heap, small hill and high. So it might as well be the same word in some old vikingese dialects.

Isn't "høy" in Norwegian (IIRC the pronunciation would be the same as you would write it "haug", at least in bokmål) also "tall"?

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

Apologies for the double post, but I was putting my university's graduation announcements together and I am both sad and happy to say that one of the students has the first name of Semen.

Let's hope he graduates cum laude

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

Lady Disdain posted:

I was going to suggest that it was probably the Russian name Semyen, but... There are two names that commonly get transformed into the English word Semen ? What a time to be alive :allears:

There's also 'Siemen' in Dutch (pronounced, yes, as 'semen'), a variant of 'Simon'.

And let's not forget former England goalie, David Seamen

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

What's this supposed to be? Dear Eces? Diaresis? Diarrhoea?

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

PYF Interesting, Cool, and Weird Names?

Sure, I'm in favour

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

IIRC this is actually a fairly common name in Hungary, though

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

Arivia posted:

these two sound like henchmen in a D&D adventure

'Slagboom' is Dutch for a barrier of the type you see in e.g. secure parking lots and literally means 'beat-down tree' (cf. think of Afrikaans 'boomslang' which literally means 'tree snake'). I believe Russian imported 'slagboom' as a loanword even. But it's a weird last name regardless.

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

deoju posted:

I'm not sure if it is true or not, but I heard an origin story for weird as Dutch sur names. Before 1811 they used patronymics, like Jensen (John's son). Bonaparte invade the Netherlands and wanted people to have surnames for taxes and poo poo. The Dutch didn't take it seriously and made up weird poo poo to gently caress with the French, but they stuck.

Here's a source, but I'm not 100% sold on it.
https://netherlandsbynumbers.com/2013/06/05/14-dutch-surnames-which-you-are-glad-are-not-yours/

Phlegmish posted:

It's a popular story in Flanders, where some people like to brag about how we (or specifically the County of Flanders/Duchy of Brabant) were already advanced, urbanized societies while 99% of the Dutch were still living in peat huts in the swamp.

I am also sceptical of this, since places like Amsterdam and Rotterdam had been important port cities for centuries by 1800, not to mention university towns like Leiden. In fact, their Golden Age was already past them at that point. On the other hand, it is true that these out-there names are almost exclusively specifically Dutch, rarely Flemish as well, and very tellingly they all seem to use more modern Dutch spelling as opposed to the archaic spelling commonly found in Flanders. My best guess without actually looking into it is that it's partially true, and that it applies mostly to the rural eastern provinces, not so much Holland, and probably not North Brabant either.

No, it's a myth: http://www.naamkunde.net/?page_id=162 (source is in Dutch though)

Apparently many of the more comical Dutch last names were the result of forced 'dutchification' of foreign (most French, German or English) names.

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

hyperhazard posted:

Actual question: How do you keep track of your relatives when you follow this naming scheme? I don't mean following family trees back generations, I mean like "I need to give this letter to my second cousin Bjorn who lives in the next town. I don't know his father's name or where he lives, so just ask around for a Bjorn who has a sister with the last name Helgadochter." Or "I owe Hans Heroldsen twenty guilders. No, not Hans Heroldsen son of Herold Jansen, Hans Herolden son of Herold Larsen. No, not that Herold Larsen, the one whose father was Lars..."

Mobility wasn't fantastic back in the Middle Ages, if you were born in an area chances were you would remain in it or at least have your home there for the rest of your life, so in an average small village, everyone knew each other and could go back a couple of generations in living memory. It's not a coincidence this system began to fade out first in populous cities. In your hypothesis, likely all three Hans guys would have a nickname of sorts, like Big Hans, Hans the Leper or Bald Hans (incidentally, some now fixed last names grew out of nicknames like that).

Some Indo-European cultures (and presumably others, but my knowledge of them is very faint) kept the patronymic system but introduced a third name to denote sublineages or individuality.

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

Male Tears posted:

Tregory, maybe?

E: f, b

Ser Tregor Gregrane

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

These old-young cycles are also true for Dutch names. Like, no one in Flanders who is named Luc, Rita, André or Liliane is going to be younger than 50, while people with names like Jef or Jules are either over 80 or under 10. I myself have such a 'generational' name that clearly marks me as an elder Millennial - after 1988, almost no boys with my name were born here.

It was my impression English did have a larger variety of "evergreen" names like John, William, Mary, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

Phlegmish posted:

I have fairly close relatives with this exact surname. It's basically the Dutch/Flemish equivalent of Cook. I must say that I have occasionally wondered if it ever gets awkward for them when they visit Anglo countries or interact with Anglo people.

I had a colleague with this surname, and he had a brother named Dick (not an uncommon name in the Netherlands and to a lesser extent Flanders, for men born in the '50s and '60s). So yeah. Dick De Cock.