Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gamingCaffeinator
Sep 6, 2010

I shall sing you the song of my people.

:catstare: that's my name, although I wholeheartedly admit I used to hate it and think it's silly; it doesn't help that my middle name follows the whole hippie-dippy theme. My brothers also bemoan their 'unique' names. All three of us wish our mother had not been the one to name us.

I've known a Spring, two Autumns, two other Summers, and a Winter. Also my best friend when I was about five was named Breeze.

I knew a girl named Shajuana (pronounced Sha-KWAH-nah), and another named Lironica when I was younger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gamingCaffeinator
Sep 6, 2010

Lullabee posted:

The worst had to be a tiny white girl named Chevrolet. She went by Chevy.

There was a girl who transferred into my elementary school in fourth grade whose name was Chevelle. She was quite proud of the fact that she was named after a car model; we never quite understood why.

gamingCaffeinator
Sep 6, 2010

Today, I learned that there is a tech at my local pharmacy named Porsche.

gamingCaffeinator
Sep 6, 2010

My supervisor has a nephew named Hezekiah. I know it's an old Biblical name, and they're hardcore Christians, but man that's a mean thing to do to a kid.

gamingCaffeinator
Sep 6, 2010

HEGEL SMOKE A J posted:

Meh, Zeke is a nice nickname.

The kid's parents call him Kiah, and his aunt (my supervisor) calls him by his full name. Zeke has never occurred to them, I assure you.

gamingCaffeinator
Sep 6, 2010

One of the managers of the local electronics store is named Qyrstyn [last name].

Seriously. Qyrstyn. I don't even know how to pronounce it (although I can guess), let alone WHY you would inflict it on a child.

gamingCaffeinator
Sep 6, 2010

Lotish posted:

This reminds me I have a coworker named Leigh, but she pronounces it "lee-uh."

I knew a girl in elementary school whose name was Leigha, and pronounced 'lee-uh'. There was also a Chevelle, who proudly announced she was named after the car. Both were blonde white girls whose other siblings had semi-normal names, so we just kinda collectively shrugged.

gamingCaffeinator
Sep 6, 2010

VogeGandire posted:

I work with a guy named Steven.

Not unusual at all. He prefers Stevie. Again, not unusual.

His surname is Revie (pronounced Ree-vay).

Last page, but this reminds me of a kid I went to school with. His name was Stevie Beebe (BEE-bee). I've never forgotten that.

On the note of 'could have been', my parents were on the way to going with 'Summer Sky', 'Summer Rain', or 'Summer Rainbow' for me. Then my great-grandmother passed, and they gave me her first name as my middle name. :3: Much nicer, and now my brothers and I all have family names for middle names.

gamingCaffeinator
Sep 6, 2010

Hummingbirds posted:

Most everyone here says "Aaron" and "Erin" the same, but my boyfriend, who is from New York, swears there is a difference and that he says them differently. :shrug:

I'm from Colorado and I say them differently? :shrug: The first sound in Erin is like the word 'air', where Aaron is more of an 'ehr' sound.

Content: There is a woman who comes through my store with the name Lacie Whyte. I wonder if she married into it, but it makes me giggle like an immature schoolgirl.

gamingCaffeinator
Sep 6, 2010

I met a woman yesterday named Quiata.

gamingCaffeinator
Sep 6, 2010

All my coworkers have been sharing our middle names, since a bunch of us have our middle initials on the schedules for some arbitrary reason. Most of 'em are fairly standard, but one guy's middle name is Renwick (REN-ick). I thought it was cool.

Also, one of my buddies from high school recently had a baby boy. I went to his Facebook page to congratulate him, and found out that he had named his son Raistlin Tiberius. Just... drat. Not as bad as the Sephiroths I'm sure are running around, but drat.

gamingCaffeinator
Sep 6, 2010

Tonight, I met a person named Cozing. I have no idea if it was the woman driving or her son, but Jesus.

gamingCaffeinator
Sep 6, 2010

There was a guy named Cotile in my store the other day.

gamingCaffeinator
Sep 6, 2010

A gentleman came through the other day with the name Sai Rolla. It could only have been better if his first name was Hai, like I originally thought.

gamingCaffeinator
Sep 6, 2010

I met a woman named Erandy the other day, and in one of the news stories connected to one linked a couple pages back, there was a girl named Knytalee.

gamingCaffeinator
Sep 6, 2010

fullroundaction posted:

One is definitely worse than the other, but the combo made me cringe:

Facebook Status posted:

Here is a video that Codylynn took of Taylyn last night ...

I don't get parents doing this. I knew a pair of sisters named Amberlee and Crystallee.

gamingCaffeinator
Sep 6, 2010

ibntumart posted:

At least he picked a nice name out of all the fantasy ones he could have snuck by your mom. Aleta's definitely not a terrible name.

I don't know what it is about girl names, though. One of my friends and his wife seriously considered naming a daughter Amara after a D&D character... but his wife wound up having a boy, which received a perfectly nice name in common usage.

My ex-husband insisted that if we ever had a daughter, he wanted to name her after the female lead in the new Zorro movies. Elena isn't a bad name, but a. I knew the provenance, and b. I would have secretly always thought of the FFVII character. :sigh: thank god I'm not a mom.

gamingCaffeinator
Sep 6, 2010

The other day, I ran a credit card issued to a Mr. Lion T Grenader. I don't care if it's fake, that was an amazing name to see.

gamingCaffeinator
Sep 6, 2010

Today I met a Latrenda and a Dagmar. I know Dagmar's a Scandanavian thing, but jesus.

gamingCaffeinator
Sep 6, 2010

Dogfish posted:

Last name first names are a really big thing right now. Grayson, Harrison, Hamilton, Jackson and endless spelling variants thereof.

That reminds me, I met a woman named McCall as her first name. Wouldn't be surprised to find out she pronounces it like Michael, but still.

gamingCaffeinator
Sep 6, 2010

Found out today that someone I know is engaged to an Undras, pronounced "Ahn-DRAY-us".

gamingCaffeinator
Sep 6, 2010

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

Just Plain Made Up
--Taurean

I went to elementary school with a kid named Taurean! He was born in May, so I always figured that was the reason

gamingCaffeinator
Sep 6, 2010

Alaois posted:

Stefan Assmann

There is an Assmann plot in the cemetery in my town. I feel a little bad for giggling when I see it.

gamingCaffeinator
Sep 6, 2010

Seen yesterday on my drive home from work: two 'baby on board' style signs with the names Klaudia and Wiktoria.

gamingCaffeinator
Sep 6, 2010

Winter Stormer posted:

These are perfectly normal Polish names.

Didn't think about that. I'm in the outskirts of Chicago, which has a huge Polish population.

gamingCaffeinator
Sep 6, 2010

Dogfish posted:

I like the -adens better than the -sons, but that's just personal preference. I'll take a Jaden over a Jackson or a Greyson - or, worse yet, a Jaxen or a Greyzen - any day.

I know a guy whose name is Lewis Jackson xxxxxx the Fourth. He goes by Jackson for some unfathomable reason, and apparently so did his father. I still can't believe there've been FOUR of them.

Also, not a terrible name, but I met a very sweet lady named Ethel at work today. I love the early 20th century names. (Ethel herself is only 45 or so, so it's definitely not a resurgence of the names sadly.)

gamingCaffeinator
Sep 6, 2010

HopperUK posted:

Can't remember if I've posted this before but sometimes at my work I spot the family name 'Lickfold'. Also 'Wellbeloved' but that's kinda nice.

I knew a family with the last name 'Godbehere' when I was in elementary school. Nice kids, not terribly religious.

The Moon Monster posted:

My girlfriend's mom met knows some twin brothers from her church named Dwayne and Dee-Wayne.

You reminded me that I once had a foster sister whose biological dad's name was Dwayne, so they named her Dwayna.

gamingCaffeinator
Sep 6, 2010

Seen in car-window-stickers: Jalynn and Keitnn.

gamingCaffeinator
Sep 6, 2010

subpar anachronism posted:

Had several Kinzlees over the last little bit, as well as a Sterling Silver Lastname.

I knew a kid named Sterling Silver (X) when I was in middle school. We grew up in a silver mining state, so I guess his parents were proud of that.

gamingCaffeinator
Sep 6, 2010

AMISH FRIED PIES posted:

Middle names should be good little nuggets of meaningful poignancy but then people just slap in common meaningless stuff like "Lynn" or "Marie" or "Lee".

This is why I appreciate my middle name so much. It was my great-grandmother's name, since she passed right before I was born. It also follows the flower naming convention on my mom's side, and it flows nicely with my first name.

gamingCaffeinator
Sep 6, 2010

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

"Alexandra Rowan" has a lovely flow!

I have already spoken on the tragedy of my middle names, so I'll just add that my parents learned from their mistakes...kind of. They gave my brother the hideous middle name of Galen, but only that one.

Because HE got the hyphenated last name!

Hippies and drugs, man.

My older brother's aunt (his father's sister) is named either Galen or Gaylord, I'm actually not sure. I've never met the woman, and my mom just refers to her as "your brother's aunt Gay".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gamingCaffeinator
Sep 6, 2010

Winter Stormer posted:

I had a great-aunt named Gay. Are you sure the aunt isn't just named that?

I'm not, to be honest! I think my mom mentioned a longer name before, but it could just be Gay.