Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous

Peanut President posted:

I have some family somewhere who's three kids were named Bric, Brac, and Broc. Bric, Brac, and Broc Dike. :allears: Indiana.

There's a group of siblings from my hometown named Skiff, Surf, Shell, Sand, and Sun. The 60s were a fun time.

quote:

Also I've never met him but there's a famous NASCAR driver named Dick Trickle.

Also, the Indy racer Will Power who has the coolest name ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious

Deific Presence posted:

My ex's name is Betty. Not short for Elizabeth, her legal first name is Betty.

My name is pretty drat weird itself, but I'm not going to post it because according to the internet I'm the only one with this name.

If your name is Al, you missed a perfect opportunity.

vv Reminds me -- in middle school I had a camp counselor named September. All of her siblings were named after the months in which they were born. Makes sense if you come out between April and August, but any other time of the year it's just cruel.

hyperhazard has a new favorite as of 04:32 on Sep 16, 2012

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious

bringmyfishback posted:

1. What the hell kind of political motivations are at work here?

It could be creepier. I had neighbors that named their children after the places they were conceived. Paris or Sydney may not be so bad, but what happens if the condom breaks in Wagga Wagga?

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
Back when I worked in a psych lab, part of my job was doing cold calls to ask random people if they were interested in participating in studies. We got our list of people from one of those semi-sketchy companies that collects names and addresses if you sign up for anything online. So naturally, we got a lot of fake names.

One day a Tori Amos popped up on my screen. My coworker goes "Yeah right," and calls the number, sarcastically asking if she can speak to Mrs. Tori Amos. The guy on the other end tells her just a moment, and then a woman comes on. "Hi, this is Tori."

Yep, it was her real name. She came by a few days later to participate in one of the studies, and she had a pretty good sense of humor about her name.

The best part was that the next name on the list was James Brown. I never did find out if he was real, though.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
Got a package from Tai Wan yesterday. Not the state. It was shipped from an Amazon fulfillment seller in New Jersey. The seller's name was actually Tai [middle name] Wan.

I guess they're common Chinese names, but I still got a kick out of it.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious

PeaBeeJay posted:

Nope, the resumes were serious. When I googled "Anotha Hitler" I found a Facebook page from a local high school where people mentioned going to school with her. Apparently, she's Sri Lankan.

I went to elementary school with a Harry Dix. Poor kid.

My grandfather's brother (my grand-uncle?) is the Rev. Dick Hol.

I know he's from a different generation and all, but that has to have gotten some snickers in the '30s and '40s as well.

VVV Sounds like an awesome name to me.

hyperhazard has a new favorite as of 06:07 on Oct 26, 2012

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
I remembered this one today. My parents' old pastor was named Jean-Valjean. Like the character from Les Mis, except it was hyphenated as his first name. Jean-Valjean Simmons.

His family wasn't French, I think his parents just really liked the book. He went by Val, anyway.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious

bee posted:

A few other ridiculous-sounding boys names I've encountered lately are Henly and Corbin.

Please tell me his last name was Dallas. :v:

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
Not my photo, but I have the same book on my shelf:

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious

stubblyhead posted:

I wonder how often people in Spain forget parts of their name, or those of their immediate family?
It's probably the same as a lot of traditional Arabic names, where you're technically Abdullah Nassar bin Abdul Mohamed bin Omar al-Sulati, but you go by Nassar al-Sulati. Unless it was my cousin or something, I sure as hell wouldn't remember a person's 3+ generation lineage.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
Met a client the other day named Gru. As in the character from Despicable Me.

Apparently he's a real rear end in a top hat to work with, too. No word on whether or not he plans to steal the moon.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious

Istari posted:

In Primary school, our teacher read us the first Harry Potter (before the films had come out). 3 separate kids in the class told her how to pronounce Hermione, but she still insisted on calling her Her-mee-on.

And in high school, my teacher wouldn't believe me when I told her that the name Gillian is pronounced with a soft G (like Jillian). (Yes, I'm aware how Gillian Jacobs pronounces her name.) Later that year, the author of the book the name was from did an interview about the book, and pronounced it Jillian. The teacher's response was something to do with "artistic flair".

I knew three Gillians in school. Two pronounced it Jill-ian, and the other Gill-ian. It was confusing, to say the least.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious

bringmyfishback posted:

Grandmascouch Leftcushion Johnson, you put that ice cream back right now!

"Hey Honey, I was thinking we could have a nice romantic night together toni--"

"Godammit George, not until we leave Wagga Wagga!"

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious

Poor guy walked out of that Life of Brian sketch.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
Did they honestly name their kid Keiythan?

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
Zeph. Short for Zephyr.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious

Istari posted:

Is he Australian ? Because I know a Zeph/Zephyr.

Nope, American. I'm guessing it's not a common Australian name either?

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious

Pronounced Kawaii? :sparkles:

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious

Shithouse Dave posted:

I've always wondered how that was really pronounced. It's one of those names I've seen in text but never in speech.

:eng101: Neeve

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
I have a doctor whose last name is Vaidya, which literally means "doctor" in Bengali. (She's Indian, but I don't know if she speaks Bengali.)

hyperhazard has a new favorite as of 13:59 on May 9, 2015

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious

Istari posted:

I'm really struggling to think of names that end with the letter D. David, Donald, Richard, Gerald, Conrad. Muhammad ? What are all these once-incredibly-common boys' names ?

According to Social Security, the top 20 include Richard, Donald, David, Edward, Ronald, Raymond, and Harold.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious

Choco1980 posted:

I would imagine Avengers would up the Bruces in the world. Mary honestly surprises me. It's one of those names like "Jane" or "John" where it's considered super generic.

I had this backfire with my kid. My (now ex) wife and I were huge b-movie fans, and liked the name Ash (from Evil Dead. We're nerds. Deal with it.) and went looking through name books for something Ash could be short for. Ashley is still too girly, despite being the case with the namesake, and Ashton would make everyone think we named him after Ashton Kutcher. So then we settled on Asher, because it was cool, it was different, and could be shortened to Ash (Ironically he at age 8 prefers the full name to the nickname.) Then, after he was born, suddenly we started seeing people named Asher everywhere. On TV, at playgrounds, in pictures in newspapers, etc etc. Apparently by chance we wound up with one of the hot "different" names of that year. I even found out later that a cousin of mine who had her son less than a year later named him the same thing, because apparently she'd always wanted a son with that name--to the point where she didn't tell her husband we already used the name, even though we're not at all close, until after the kid was born and named.

One of the main characters in The Giver is named Asher, and since the mid-90s, that book's been a requisite in every middle school ever. It's not unlikely that kids who read it back in the 90s are having kids of their own now.

I always liked the name :shrug:

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
First thing I thought of.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APyl6Cnbfzw

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
Wired came out with an article about black market coupons on the deep web. The guy in charge of the scheme is Beauregard Wattigney.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious

trauma llama posted:

Way too many people named Special, and a few named precious.
A woman who works at the Panera near me has the name Unique. I guess technically it is?

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious

sweeperbravo posted:

Either we go to the same Panera or Uniques are destined to work there.

That's kind of creepy. It wouldn't happen to be next to a Party City and across the road from a Giant, would it?

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious

Crow Jane posted:

The nearest Panera to me is. :tinfoil:

It's not creepy, I see you in the LAN thread all the time :v:

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious

De Nomolos posted:

Came across something from a Dr. Harb Ranks at work.

1. Is Harb short for something?
2. What is Harb short for?

Harbinger :black101:

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious

pookel posted:

I was just reading about the DEA Silk Road case and ran across this in a Wired story from March:

I had to stop and think for a minute about whether he was a guy named Carl who was a member of a team called Mark Force IV.

I gotta say, if my name was Mark Force, I'd want to pass that on to my children too.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
I realized today that the two women I sit closest to at work have the last names Battle and Slaughter :black101:

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious

Istari posted:

As a kid, I had a dance teacher with the surname Blood. She was a really sweet, demure woman. When she got married (to a man with a really ordinary surname), she chose to keep her own surname. I was thrilled.

My sister's 2nd grade teacher was a Mrs. Love. She was a really nasty person. No idea how she ended up teaching elementary students.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
Shear Bliss would be an great name for a beauty salon.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious

Lotish posted:

Just got a student named No Nguyen, which if I'm informed rightly is pronounced "Know When."

More like "no win" which is actually funnier imho.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
Got an email at work today from a Dr. Steve Holt. I had a good chuckle.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
Husband met a Dr. Gert Kwakkel. It's probably a perfectly normal Dutch name, but I can't get over the fact that somewhere out there there's a Doctor Quackle, and he's not a cartoon duck.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
It's always weird to me when suffixes go beyond Junior. By the time you hit IV, I think it's less a namesake and more "This name is common in my family."

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
Leonard Slutsky.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious

AA is for Quitters posted:

Not an actual name (yet) but my man is already angling for naming rights of we have a girl.

He has a hard on for Apatchalla. Like the way a good ol boy from KY might pronounce his region. No amount of reason and logic is working. I'm looking for jobs in Iceland so that he can try and pout and plead and still be legally unable to pick... That.
I did not alter this image in the slightest.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
Absolutely no idea, but according to his IMDB page, he went by Scully.

Skuv-leethan?