Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.
I run into a lot of fairly unusual last names in my line of work but my personal favorite will always be EverybodyTalksAbout. It's not an uncommon last in some Native American tribes but there's nothing like having a kid with a grandpa who's name is Dick Everybodytalksabout.

Aside from that it's mostly people in my family naming their kids stuff like Peace Sundancer, Freedom Butterfly (both are boys by the way) or, for some reason, Yakima.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

Philthii Rich. I'm almost disappointed his new brother has a normal name.

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

Fucahoe, pronounced exactly like you'd expect it to be.

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

Seattle. We all live and/or work in Seattle so clearly this kid will never have to worry about people asking where they're from.

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

We got a Trail, Cruise, and Canyon today at work.

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

credburn posted:

I knew a Native American fellow whose surname was White Man.

Yellow Hair is a not uncommon last name for some Navajo tribe members. We get a lot of White Eagles, So Happy, and EveryBodyTalksAbout/TalksAbout where I live.

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

Queenamerica, Kingusa, and Kingesekiel popped up today on a data list.

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

Yo'Heiness

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

My brother wants to name his kid Boromir or Aragorn if it's a boy so I've been doing my darndest to talk him out of it.

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

Phlegmish posted:

So...his partner's okay with those names?

My sister-in-law is being diplomatic about it but no. She wants to go with James but my brother doesn't want to do that because they would all have J names and he doesn't want to be known as "the J's". It won't be an issue until next month when they find out the sex of their fetus but I refuse to have a nephew who will answer to "Hey Bro" like it's his actual name.

My mom has offered up Freedom and Alphonse instead in an attempt to mediate the name dispute.

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

Aphrodite posted:

Your family shouldn’t be allowed to name things.

The only reason I have a regular name is because my dad managed to talk my mom out of naming me "Moon". Every father's day I get him a nice gift just for that. Some of my younger siblings didn't have that luck.

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

Lady Disdain posted:

I've always believed that hideously feminised versions of masculine names are the worst possible names. The absolute worst "genuine" names in my mind are Thomasina and Albertina.

(Disclaimer: Obviously, there are a ton of feminised names this doesn't apply to: Alexandra, Victoria, Luisa, etc.)

Albertina is dumb since Alberta is right there. It does remind me that I went to elementary school with a Llyodina.

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

My baby sister has two first names, two middle names, and a hyphenated last name. Can't wait until we have to get her her first passport.

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

Lady Disdain posted:

Your parents are monsters, and your sister's resentment towards them will grow steadily every time she's asked to provide her name.

Same mom, different dads and a 20 year age difference. Pretty sure I told this thread once my first name was originally going to be Moon but my dad refused to sign off on it and they negotiated my first name. Mom got to chose the spelling, dad chose the name.

My dad named me after his ex-girlfriend.

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

More like "Cynthia spelled Sinthiyah" but replace with a relatively popular 80s name.

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

I ended up reading the comments on a youtube video and a dude commented to say he almost named his kid Trieze, after the Gundam Wing character. I'm choosing to believe it was weird poo poo posting.

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

Lady Lychee

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

One of my brother's real first name is Frank but he goes by his middle name since he hates being named after his shithole dad but mostly because he thinks of it as an old man name and that no one under 30 is named Frank.

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

Mabel/Mable is also coming back in for girls and that's also a very matronly, sweater knitting grandma name.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

My name is a medium popular 80s girl name with a special spelling because my teen parents couldn't initially agree on what to name me. My mom wanted "Moon" and my dad wanted his ex-girlfriend's name and they compromised by going with a version of dad's ex's name but my mom got to choose the spelling.