Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Deific Presence posted:

Being from Alabama, I'm sad to say that "Bo" is a pretty common name.

I know a German dude named Bo. Not a nickname.

In middle school I thought the word "wanker" was hilarious and I said it a lot. My dad told me it was a real-rear end last name. I looked in the phone book to prove him wrong, and found a Mr William Wanker who lived on Walton Way in Woodburn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Dogbrisket posted:

Worst thing I ever saw in my time working in California's social service system was a kid named Wu Tang.

I'm imagining a teenage action hero with a father who was Japanese martial arts master and a mother who was a black American gangstress, and he must unravel the clues surrounding their mysterious deaths...

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Key & Peele tell the La-A story on their new episode. At the end of what felt kind of like a massively racist bit on football players' names.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Shut the gently caress up, Megazone.

My sister's pregnant. No name decided yet. I've already given my soon-to-be niece/nephew the nickname of Truck Spank. Everybody's calling him or her that, and it's still just a fetus.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

Is that all first name or first and last?

First and middle, I think.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Sunshine89 posted:

If my parents were so cruel as to have done this to me, I'd have changed it to Steven the second I turned 18

And miss the opportunity to change it to Sven?

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Tritanomalicious posted:

Also, my name is Krzysztof. It's an extremely common Polish name and is (obviously, I think) equivalent to Christopher, but unfortunately, it's difficult, if not impossible for a non-Slavic language speaker to pronounce. Usually, I get "Kristo" or "Kristoff". The latter is what most of my friends call me. One guy I went to high school with thought, for years, that my full name was "Kris Dof".

Wait, if not Kristoff, how do you pronounce it? And seriously, what's with the Zs? You've got to admit somebody made a mistake with the thing about the Zs.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Popcyan posted:

Sidenote on Irish names: until I started dating an English guy (who kept asking me how to pronounce the names of people in his classes), I didn't appreciate how tricky Irish names can be to English speakers. Some prime examples being: Sabhdh (pronounced 'sive'), Tadgh ('tigue'), Niamh ('neev'), Padraig ('poric'), Aodh (sounds like 'eh', basically), Naoise ('neesha'), Fionnabhair ('finavair'), Ailbhe ('alva'), Gráinne ('gronya'), Dearbhla ('dervla'). None of which are bad names, they just sound completely different than you might expect.

The only excuse for this poo poo is if Ireland started using the Roman alphabet before everybody else. A cursory wiki search didn't tell me the history of the alphabet used for Irish. Can somebody give me some insight? Cause if "Sabhdh" is supposed to be a transliteration based on phonics, somebody's gotta burn. (I'm going to assume that the various languages went from runes or... heiroglyphs or whatever into alphabets then evolved separately. It may be insensitive of me, but if a language evolved to spell a word "Sabhdh" then it must have gotten high along the way.)

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Dogan posted:

Weird but also fairly cool names (people I've met in North Carolina):

- Some ghetto dude named Karon (pronounced "Kay-ron") (His mom called him "Bouchie". Dude was like 20 years old)

Might have been named after the Styx ferryman, which would be pretty cool.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Today I met a man named Firstname Jack Harder.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

I would love to see some more class rosters of kids in English classes in Asian countries. You know, when kids choose their English name of Altria, Sweater, Nursy, Five, Click...

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

My husband works with a Mexican guy called Hilario, which in Spanish is no more unusual than a name like Hope or Prudence* I guess, but it;s pretty funny for English speakers.

How do you pronounce this name?

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Why is there a baby gallery? Anyway there's some pretty good stuff on it, for example these beautiful children born within 15 days of each other.

http://www.tillamookregionalmc.org/gallery/jaxon-clarence
http://www.tillamookregionalmc.org/gallery/jaxon-kb
http://www.tillamookregionalmc.org/gallery/jaxon-allen

Tillamook is a pretty small town that does not deserve that many Jaxons.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Douginc posted:

Not sure if anyone else has ever run into this name: Febby. In Minnesota here and met a girl who worked at a restaurant named Febby, and asked her about it. Apparently it's short for February and she has a sister April, and the mom was hoping to have a third girl named January, but instead had a boy who they gave a "normal" name, don't remember what she said it was, but it was something unmemorable like 'John' or 'Mike'.

If they'd only gone for April -> May -> June, they wouldn't be in this mess!

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Celery Face posted:

Butch Dick, a carver from the Songhees Nation. Take out the T and his name would almost mean "bend over" in German.

It would mean "book fat" until you added the umlauts, which is even better.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Sadhbh Walshe

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Istari posted:

Sadhbh is one of those names that's as common as dirt in Ireland, and pretty much unpronounceable by everyone else. Although the original spelling is much nicer than Sive (or Sow).

So is it pronounced Sive, or Sow?

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

GabrielAisling posted:

I'm called by my middle name. I know lots of people who are. It's irritating and inconvenient. And they could always call him Ron.

I've a friend named Miri after the Star Trek character. Her name on her birth certificate is listed as "Miriam" because her mom wanted her to have a real name to sign on official documents.

She's gonna be mad when she finds her birth certificate and realizes she had a normal name all along.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

At first I thought it's "Mal" with a crossbar added, then I realized it's "Ana(:"

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Ugh, "Heusner."

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Mister Olympus posted:

Heard of an Augie on my flight home yesterday.

If your name's Augustus, it's a better nickname than Gusty.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Ofaloaf posted:

Today, I had a student named Lucas Gaius Crastinus. This is the second Roman(-ish) name I've encountered at this school, and he's not from the same family as Gaius Junius from last year.

Gaius Junius is really good.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Lotish posted:

My mother was just telling me about one of her female students who was named James Curtis [lastname]. Apparently she was the youngest of seven girls, and they had promised grandpa they were going to name a baby after him, so she drew the short straw.

That's cool. If I were her I'd be happy about it. Girls with boy names is nice as long as it's not like Gary or Irving or Anthony or something

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Tifphany

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

I looked at the license of a person whose legal first name is Tifphany.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

And now for stupid names from history: there was a shipping merchant, banker, and stock broker in the early 19th century named Preserved Fish.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Shellsea

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Antivehicular posted:

"Many years later, as he faced the firing squad, Colonel Aurelio Jones was to remember that distant afternoon when his mother took him to discover Starbucks."

:golfclap:

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

REQUIRED READING

http://www.theparisreview.org/blog/2015/09/03/how-to-name-your-baby/

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Analy.

I'll see if I can find the picture I took, it was a long time ago. A car, clearly the car of a person who has just graduated high school, and part of the decoration read "You did it! Analy"

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

OwlFancier posted:

If numbering your children is good enough for the romans then it's good enough for you. Primus, secundus, tertius, quartus, quintus, sextus, septimus, octavius... nonimus?? (loving stupid idiot gets called nonimus?) and decimus.

My name is biggest ten in the middle, and I shall have my vengeance.

Most of those aren't names. Quintus, Sextus, and Septimus were praenomia. Ocavianus was a praenomen later, modeled after the nomen Octavius. They didn't refer to birth order, rather the month one was born in. Presumably one who could have been named the nonexistent Tertius was instead called Marcus. But this connection wasn't known by everybody in the Republican period--by then they had become just names, not necessarily named after month born any more. Apparently some women were named Prima, Secunda, etc, but I would guess these were less "names" and more an expansion of calling her Minor or Maior, with recordkeeping omitting a redundant-seeming first name ("everybody knows she'd be Julia, you don't need to write it down.")

Bonus: Postumus doesn't mean posthumous--but it usually indicates it, because it means "the final."

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Pope Hilarius II posted:

They were both praenomina and ordinal numbers. Don't you think that someone named Quintus wouldn't pause to think that the expression for, say, "the fifth soldier" ("miles quintus") would sound an awful lot like his name? Or what do you think Latin used for ordinal numbers? Like Russians, Romans had three names (usually), so that's why their praenomina didn't matter all that much in the long run of things.

Postumus does mean "posthumous" by the way, it indicates the kid was born after his dad already died. So, yes, final, kinda, but not really.

1. I fuckin know they're numbers dude
2 Nope https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Postumus_(praenomen)

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Casebeer is a cool surname

Winter Stormer posted:

Another grab-bag of Names of Real People Who Got SSNs But Don't Need Them Anymore.

Colon Johnson Cockman

Ubiquitous Perpetuity God

killer

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Sir-Kristopher, nicknamed "Turkey Legs",

aspirational naming can go awry :(

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Ralph Hurley posted:

What happened to that Name of the Year bracket tournament? We need some more of the likes of Mathdaniel Squirrel and Jizyah Shorts.

Last I checked they let their website's hosting lapse and had only a crappy twitter account. RIP

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Steve Bytheway

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

Wow, is this ever a Photoshop Phriday challenge of days past! "Design Nazi safety posters starring Kaiser Caution" lmao.

did you make the thread??

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

They're from Placentia

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Hippocrass posted:

Oh my God their real names. Their all real.

Also, LOL Britanny Pozzi married into the Tonozzis

I am still thinking about this one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Hats lil pony lol