Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

SubNat posted:

I imagine it can roll Vulkan as well, can't it? I would be surprised if it doesn't have support for win+linux vulkan.
DX11/Vulkan as a requirement is fairly unproblematic nowadays, everything considered. The first nvidia gpus with Dx11 are over 10 years old now.
Per Steam's hardware survey, non-DX11/12 gpu + windows users accounts for less than 4% of (windows)users.

Dx12 os+gpu has ~82% market penetration. Dx11 os+gpu is roughly 9.8%

Yeah it almost certainly can- I haven't done my graphics API homework, part of the reason I'm rolling with unity is because it handles like 85% of the cross-platform crap without me thinking about it, but yeah- if most people can do DX11/Vulkan or higher I should probably stop worrying. I think the editor running like crap has given me false impressions of how resource intensive HDRP is, because subsequent tests have shown that, yeah- my terribly-optimized testbed scenes all run like butter in a packaged build.

Edit: And just for fun, here's the fully-textured scene. I'm pretty happy with most of it but low-detail metallic textures are frigging hard to get right, so I'll probably rip out and totally redo the blue pillars and the subway car/doors.

Omi no Kami fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Mar 5, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pigmassacre
Nov 23, 2010

GARBAGE DAY

One year anniversary of the Wunderling release! We managed to launch on Steam, Switch, PS4 and Xbox One, and we've been working on more Wunderling! Feels good to finally reveal... something :)

https://twitter.com/retroidofficial/status/1367929432023982087?s=20

Bert of the Forest
Apr 27, 2013

Shucks folks, I'm speechless. Hawf Hawf Hawf!
Just released a new devlog, starting to get a hang of the format! Think this one turned out much better structured than the last.

https://twitter.com/DeliInteractive/status/1367987429236346881?s=20

Bert of the Forest fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Mar 6, 2021

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
(crossposted from the Ask a Game Dev thread)

I want to share a short story involving myself and fellow goon Serth, who has been playtesting my game. I was working on an EMP pulse effect yesterday evening, got it to a point I was happy with, and threw it up on the game's Discord to share around, then went to bed. I came back in the morning to this:

quote:

[12:25 AM] Serth: ....ow. the initial part of that effect is unbearable for me to look at. I'm going to have to ask you to extend the various color effects for about half a second each as they transform through the animation.
[12:28 AM] Serth: Seriously, I...I can't look at it and keep a coherent train of thought.
[12:30 AM] Serth: yuuup definitely need you to remove that animation from the chat. My right eye is still acting up about a minute after i last looked at it
[12:31 AM] Serth: for reference, its the flashy bit at the start of the animation that fucks me up
[12:32 AM] Serth: the latter part is just fine and would be no trouble at all
[12:32 AM] Serth: but the actual burst is hurting my vision and imparing my thought pattern for up to several minutes after
[12:33 AM] Serth: its the mix of light and dark colors changing rapidly over an expanding area that just makes my brain go "gently caress this poo poo im out"
[12:34 AM] Serth: and my right eye still feels like someone is pressing a finger into it (not the owow finger in the eye feeling, just the annoying pressure feeling)
[12:35 AM] Serth: And just to be clear here, I have absolutely no problem with you posting this sort of animations for feedback here
[12:35 AM] Serth: But could you spoiler them and give me an epilepsy trigger warning when you do?
[12:36 AM] Serth: Cause that was 10minutes of hosed up vision since i wasn't prepared for it (knowing that its about to hit me makes a huge difference in how my brain copes with it)
[12:44 AM] Serth: okay there we go, eyeball is completely back to normal and i only have some light nausea left
[12:44 AM] Serth: very effective EMP
[12:44 AM] Serth: would not mount on my own ship

Needless to say, this was distressing. I certainly don't want my game to physically harm anyone! But it simply hadn't occurred to me that it might be a problem. I wanted a fast-moving effect to give the player instant feedback when they pressed the EMP button, and I made it bright and contrasting so it'd stand out and feel satisfying. These are of course exactly the kinds of things that are potential epilepsy triggers.

And since I was asleep, it took about six hours before I was back and able to respond to Serth's request to hide the animation.

For reference, the original, problematic EMP effect is https://i.imgur.com/zPZAjEF.mp4. I worked with Serth to fix it, and ultimately it now looks like https://i.imgur.com/kXSkd9T.mp4 The main changes are to slow everything down by a factor of 2, reduce the intensity of the central lightning burst, and make more of the effects transparent instead of solid-colored.

I want to thank Serth for putting his health on the line and still being willing to look at effects afterwards. He's also said he's willing to act as an epilepsy consultant for other goon devs. I encourage you all to think about any rapid flashes or other big, fast-moving effects your games might have, and to consider how you can tone them down so your games can be more accessible. Let me tell you, just putting a blanket "this game has flashing lights that may be a health hazard for people with certain conditions" disclaimer on your game is not a good solution.

Also-goon AzMiLion has also offered to help with legibility for the visually-impaired. Quote: "I'll gladly throw words at people if it means i get to poke at in dev things."

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

It has been two zero days since last incident.
Big Super Slapstick Hunk

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

He's also said he's willing to act as an epilepsy consultant for other goon devs.

Yeah if you are in doubt about the potential impact an animation might have, throw me a PM here or add me on discord: Serth hashtag one two two four and I'll be happy to look it over. Most of the damage done by any flashing or highly color/light contrasted animation will be when it takes me by surprise. So as long as a I get a spoilered link and a "Not Safe for Serth" tag along with it, I'll be fine. I'm also a very very talky person, so I can assure you that I will be giving a very detailed response (and no it won't just be six pages of "gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress"). If I can help someone avoid an actual full blown seizure by taking one for the team and feeling some mild-moderate discomfort for 20minutes-10 hours then that is something I am willing to do. Neither payment nor crediting needed. I like to help.

Ripper Swarm
Sep 9, 2009

It's not that I hate it. It's that I loathe it.
Hi thread, I'm dipping my toe into gamedev as a hobby, with the first goal being to slap together a 2D turn-based grid battlemap in Godot that I can move a player unit around on.
Over the past couple of weeks I've gone through a bunch of tutorials: intro to Godot, put together the basic asteroids knockoff and followed a few takes on real-time tile-based movement.

I'm struggling with the next step, which is making units respect the terrain (eg impassable tiles). Tilemaps seem like the ideal tool, but they're a bit obtuse to work with and I can't figure it out. I picked Godot as the engine to jump in with based on it's touted strength with 2D, but after a whole bunch of googling it seems that's based mostly on how it handles platformers, rpgs and the like. Despite a whole bunch of search, as far as I can tell I've run out of tutorials on the 2D turn-based grid thing.

I've seen a few people ITT posting about this genre, so hoping for some pointers here. Can anyone point me towards any resources in this area?
Relatedly, it does seem like there's a decent amount of stuff out there on this topic for Unity. I've never used Unity but hey, I'd never used Godot a few weeks ago so I'm not opposed to starting over if Godot is unsuited to what I'm trying to do. I'm green enough that I have no idea if there's nothing out there because Godot is new or because this topic is real advanced game-makin' stuff!

dreamless
Dec 18, 2013

Ripper Swarm posted:

I'm struggling with the next step, which is making units respect the terrain (eg impassable tiles). Tilemaps seem like the ideal tool, but they're a bit obtuse to work with and I can't figure it out.

There's sort of two parts of your question, I think? In general, if you're looking for algorithms that work on a (square or hex) grid, https://www.redblobgames.com/ is a good place to start.

If you're trying to figure out the properties of a square, the first thing I'd do is make a function like bool IsWalkable( int x, int y ) and then when you're changing tiles, push them backwards if the destination tile isn't walkable.

What's in that function is up to you! In fact, you should probably do the easiest thing, like query the tilemap and if it's tile 0 or the tile name begins with "x" or whatever's convenient to author--I don't know if Godot has a builtin tile editor or it imports from some other editor or you're just typing in csvs like it's 1989--and then evolve it as you start needing more features or when you change how the data is stored.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
It sounds a little like you're coming at this problem with the mindset of "how does the engine solve this problem for me?" And then when you find that the engine doesn't have a built-in solution, you're considering switching engines. Engines are great, but they don't handle everything or even most things. What they do is handle the most common things, as well as whatever things someone in a position to modify the engine felt like working on.

Even when you find an engine that is highly suited to your specific needs (for example, making a JRPG with RPGMaker), you're still going to find a lot of problems that you'll have to write custom solutions for. That's just a fact of life in gamedev.

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

I got into my car and ate my chalupa with a feeling of accomplishment.
I got frustrated last year trying to find a premade Unity package and modify it with the way my game handles turn based gameplay, so I just started rolling my own from scratch and thing immediately started going way smoother for me

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
What dreamless suggested is the kind of thing I've done in the past, querying the tilemap at a coord and seeing which tile is there or if it has flags and then manually clamping movement if you can't enter a square.

I'm not very familiar with Godot, but looking at the tilemap documentation: https://docs.godotengine.org/en/stable/tutorials/2d/using_tilemaps.html#collision-shapes

They already explicitly have a thing for defining collisions on tile objects, even with custom shapes (so you can get sub-tile collisions like ramps!)

I'm not sure how Godot physics works but it seems that if you're using their API then you can just define those shapes and it should just block movement automagically?

Ripper Swarm posted:

Relatedly, it does seem like there's a decent amount of stuff out there on this topic for Unity. I've never used Unity but hey, I'd never used Godot a few weeks ago so I'm not opposed to starting over if Godot is unsuited to what I'm trying to do. I'm green enough that I have no idea if there's nothing out there because Godot is new or because this topic is real advanced game-makin' stuff!

I could definitely tell you how to do this in Unity but I'm pretty positive that you can do it in Godot too and its not really a reason to jump engines, so I say stick with it.

Ripper Swarm
Sep 9, 2009

It's not that I hate it. It's that I loathe it.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

It sounds a little like you're coming at this problem with the mindset of "how does the engine solve this problem for me?" And then when you find that the engine doesn't have a built-in solution, you're considering switching engines. Engines are great, but they don't handle everything or even most things. What they do is handle the most common things, as well as whatever things someone in a position to modify the engine felt like working on.

Even when you find an engine that is highly suited to your specific needs (for example, making a JRPG with RPGMaker), you're still going to find a lot of problems that you'll have to write custom solutions for. That's just a fact of life in gamedev.

"how does the engine solve this problem for me?"
Got me, that's absolutely the mindset going in. From a non-gamedev perspective turn-based tile stuff seems like it's just fancy boardgames, so This must be super simple, right?TM

Haha, no. I am so out of my depth here!

Zaphod42 posted:

I could definitely tell you how to do this in Unity but I'm pretty positive that you can do it in Godot too and its not really a reason to jump engines, so I say stick with it.

Yeah...to expand on the switching engines comment, I thought I'd done my engine research but it turns out I wasn't looking for the right thing. I have zero experience in object-oriented engines so it's not really the relative capabilities of the engine with regard to 2d tiles that worries me, it's how difficult it's going to be to learn what I need to know. For whatever reason (it's been around a lot longer, I guess?) Unity seems much better supported in that regard.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Ripper Swarm posted:

Yeah...to expand on the switching engines comment, I thought I'd done my engine research but it turns out I wasn't looking for the right thing. I have zero experience in object-oriented engines so it's not really the relative capabilities of the engine with regard to 2d tiles that worries me, it's how difficult it's going to be to learn what I need to know. For whatever reason (it's been around a lot longer, I guess?) Unity seems much better supported in that regard.

You're going to have to do a lot of learning no matter what engine you go with, simply because game development requires just so many different disciplines. Like, off the top of my head and in no particular order, there's art (pixel/vector/3D/environment/texture/concept/etc/etc/etc), programming, sound design, music, UI/UX, writing, game design, level/environment design, art direction, editing...and this is just the stuff that goes into making the game, let alone the management/marketing/team management stuff that you can end up working on. Different games will need different skills of course, and it's extremely smart to pick a game that requires as few of them as possible, but even a simple game like Pong or Breakout has a lot of different stuff that goes into it.

Anyway, as to your question: the main thing that Unity brings to the table is a large community that has run into almost every problem you're likely to encounter, and had a forums thread arguing about how to solve it. This is great! ...the answers aren't always right, or relevant to the current version of Unity, since it's been around and in common use for a long time. So you're going to have to exercise your own judgement, do a lot of reading documentation (and swearing at Unity's documentation writers, who sometimes give less than helpful descriptions), and a fair amount of experimentation and asking for help yourself.

If you have very little programming experience, then personally that's something I would focus on rectifying first. I've heard that this Udemy course is good for getting started in programming. It's Unity-specific, but programming as a skillset is highly transferable. By the way, never pay full price for a Udemy course; they routinely go on sale for like $10-20.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Ripper Swarm posted:

There may be more Unity videos on youtube, but there's still just as many people hitting walls where they don't already have an example of what to do, or running into an API that won't exactly do what they want.

At that point you design around it or you code it from scratch yourself. You have access to an object's X and Y coordinates, you could always write your own tile system and then it'll do whatever you write it to do.

But don't re-invent the wheel if you don't have to. Check out that tilemap collision documentation link I posted above.

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?

Ripper Swarm posted:

I'm struggling with the next step, which is making units respect the terrain (eg impassable tiles). Tilemaps seem like the ideal tool, but they're a bit obtuse to work with and I can't figure it out. I picked Godot as the engine to jump in with based on it's touted strength with 2D, but after a whole bunch of googling it seems that's based mostly on how it handles platformers, rpgs and the like. Despite a whole bunch of search, as far as I can tell I've run out of tutorials on the 2D turn-based grid thing.

I've seen a few people ITT posting about this genre, so hoping for some pointers here. Can anyone point me towards any resources in this area?
You should take a look at path-finding algorithms as a starting point. As linked earlier, Red Blob Games has a great resource, specifically this page: https://www.redblobgames.com/pathfinding/a-star/introduction.html This tutorial is really nice, because it starts with basic breadth-first pathfinding, and upgrades in stages to full A-star.

With that under your belt, you should also check out the AStar2D class in Godot to see if it meets your needs: https://docs.godotengine.org/en/stable/classes/class_astar2d.html

Finally, I'm making a Front Mission / FF Tactics style game, and I basically used this project as a first stepping stone: https://github.com/rodmaureirac/godot-tactical-rpg Although it's in 3D as opposed to 2D, you can take a look at how this guy created his own tile object, and implemented his own A-star pathfinding. That way, you can see one way of implementing what you're looking for.

Edit: Guess I should post a progress pic?

Tupperwarez fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Mar 7, 2021

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

You shouldn't really need pathfinding just to do collisions, although it will be useful if you program AI to navigate a platformer (although not if they're goomba level dumb)

E: Somehow I missed that he's doing a turn based strategy, I was like why is everybody suggesting tips like this is for a strategy game? :doh: Yeah pathfinding is gonna be necessary for your AI in that case, and will be needed if you want the player to click a destination instead of moving tile by tile.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Mar 7, 2021

kaffo
Jun 20, 2017

If it's broken, it's probably my fault

Ripper Swarm posted:

"how does the engine solve this problem for me?"
Got me, that's absolutely the mindset going in. From a non-gamedev perspective turn-based tile stuff seems like it's just fancy boardgames, so This must be super simple, right?TM

Haha, no. I am so out of my depth here!

AB is totally right in the posts above and Zaphod is giving good advice too

But just wanted to chine in and say, as someone who was recently making a 2D grid based xcom game, both unity and godot have equal headaches to solve in their own ways. If you've already learned what you've learned in godot, stick to it and don't go relearning unity just incase it's "better" because imo it's really not for what you're trying to achieve, just different.

But for the actual collision question, the built in collisions on the tiles are pixel perfect and physics based, they are more used for platfomers. I originally wrote a one liner method, something like what was suggested posts ago, literally "does tile map have a tile at x?" and my units just wouldn't move if that returned false. Then I changed it up for a logical 2d array of bools later on. This did mean originally I had to manually set each x and y on the array to be the correct impassible value until...

Much later I wrote a quick script that had a list of tileids in it which I wanted to be impassable and I had 'maps' saved to text files as lists of ints. So when I loaded the ints one by one into the tilemap, I'd check if it was on the list of impassable tile ids and if it was set that x y to impassable on my 2D array.

My solution is not the right solution, it's not fast or good or perfect, but works and hopefully some of those words give you an idea of the thought process to get a walkable grid without me sitting writing the code for you

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable
Nobody asked, but I figured I would share that attempting to do anything 2D in Unreal is hideous and don't believe anybody telling you differently :lol:

From documentation saying to do things that don't work, to hugely confusing issues, to a community that doesn't use it for 2D so when you Google a problem you'll keep retracing the same 4 posts and hope this time you can get that seed of wisdom that has you blocked.

Needless to say I switched to 3D after playing around with Unity 2D a little.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

And then with Unity you get the pleasure of finding that there are three different features in various stages of documentation that can each do about 30% of what you need, but when you do some googling you find tons of forum posts going 'Yeah, every single one of those features was abandoned half-implemented, the only production-appropriate approach I know is this old feature from 5 years ago that they keep meaning to deprecate."

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

But 2D is so straightforward you really need the engine to give you a decent starting point and then get out of your way and let you do the thing more than you need special features.

At least at the level where you want to use a Unity/Unreal type engine.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
It's nice to do something different, been really burnt out on spaceships. Instead, for the past week I've been working on updating an ancient formerly-game-jam project. Feeling good about my simple new map gen algorithm that makes more difficult-to-dig materials the further you get from the start:

e: In play:

Corbeau fucked around with this message at 12:03 on Mar 9, 2021

organburner
Apr 10, 2011

This avatar helped buy Lowtax a new skeleton.

I bought the gamedev.tv tutorial pack from humble bundle a while back and finished the "project boost" cave flier tutorial a while back and decided to try to turn it into my own thing with my own assets etc.
So here, have a link to a semi-buggy game I made called Space Truck: Initial BeerGin
https://tobekko.itch.io/space-truck-initial-beergin

so far the one piece of feedback I've received has been "gently caress that final level"

For my next game I will probably be hitting up some friends for art and music because, well, this poo poo ugly and sounds bad :D

Lucid Dream
Feb 4, 2003

That boy ain't right.

Phigs posted:

But 2D is so straightforward you really need the engine to give you a decent starting point and then get out of your way and let you do the thing more than you need special features.

At least at the level where you want to use a Unity/Unreal type engine.

Personally I'm a fan of MonoGame. It's still C#, and it provides ways to draw sprites to the screen efficiently and then mostly gets out of the way. I can't speak to Unity's 2d stuff because I haven't used it in ages, although I do love Unity for 3d stuff.

Also, unrelated, here are some cybernetic gun arms we're working on:

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

Lucid Dream posted:

Also, unrelated, here are some cybernetic gun arms we're working on:

Man, how long has this been in development? I vaguely remember discussing how the character should fall on their face, and maybe weird gifs with chickens and sheep? I hope you see a light at the end of this tunnel!

e: clicked on your "?" and the first post was 2012! Great to go through those and see how the game has progressed.

e2: I'm also an idiot as your game has been in EA for quite a while now.

e3: Haha, and looking back at your posts I see I asked something similar a couple of years ago, pretty much. I'll shut up now.

Gromit fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Mar 10, 2021

Lucid Dream
Feb 4, 2003

That boy ain't right.

Gromit posted:

Man, how long has this been in development? I vaguely remember discussing how the character should fall on their face, and maybe weird gifs with chickens and sheep? I hope you see a light at the end of this tunnel!

e: clicked on your "?" and the first post was 2012! Great to go through those and see how the game has progressed.

e2: I'm also an idiot as your game has been in EA for quite a while now.

e3: Haha, and looking back at your posts I see I asked something similar a couple of years ago, pretty much. I'll shut up now.

Ahaha. Yeah, things are going really well. Despite the constant scope creep we're actually making really good progress lately. We've been hammering out a bunch of stuff that we've been putting off "until we get closer to release" and we're 1 or 2 more content updates away from finishing the story content. I might make a new thread for the game when we get the next update out.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

I suspect the idea I'm fleshing out for 7DRL doesn't have legs, but the whirlwind haste I've had during my few working settings have made a surprising number of things click for me.

I used to grumble and groan whenever I had to construct UI elements in Godot. But now I, dare I say it, might actually enjoy the setup. The trick is to use more of it.

I'm achieving a delightful level of symmetry only previously achieved when tediously counting pixels, and this symmetry will survive scaling and stretching and arbitrary resizing.

KRILLIN IN THE NAME
Mar 25, 2006

:ssj:goku i won't do what u tell me:ssj:

I am also very slowly doing 7drl. probably won't get mine done in time but this is my progress so far

https://twitter.com/bonerman_inc/status/1369534906624217088

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

KRILLIN IN THE NAME posted:

I am also very slowly doing 7drl. probably won't get mine done in time but this is my progress so far

This would be extremely cool if fleshed out to include other pieces and their moves you'd have to break through. Don't do a wait button though, it'd defeat the whole purpose.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

I love this. I'd be really interested to see what it played like if the enemy pieces started advancing on you when you get within a few spaces of them.

Would get pretty hectic if 3 pawns were coming at you from different directions.

KRILLIN IN THE NAME
Mar 25, 2006

The Joe Man posted:

This would be extremely cool if fleshed out to include other pieces and their moves you'd have to break through. Don't do a wait button though, it'd defeat the whole purpose.

I *think* i solved the need for not having a wait button by having pawns take a turn to wait before changing direction, so it shouldnt put the player in a situation where any approach to a pawn is diagonal in front

Tip posted:

I love this. I'd be really interested to see what it played like if the enemy pieces started advancing on you when you get within a few spaces of them.

Thanks! I plan on adding at least bishops and rooks that are "dumb" like pawns and only attack if you get in their way. Maybe I'll have knights be different and stand still and only attack if you're on a valid tile for them

My other plan is for enemy pieces you defeat give you a "charge" that lets you use their move for one turn, and letting the player hold up to three of these charges. Maybe that can function as a health/lives system too instead of the player taking a single hit and dying instantly

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

So I was getting tired of doing prototype UI work for my game and so took a break to work on a couple other concepts and "do research" aka play video games. Then when I came back to it today I was greeted with this:

I don't need this kind of discouragement Unity.

A LOVELY LAD
Feb 8, 2006

Hey man, wanna hear a secret?

College Slice
Theres loads of good stuff on this page so I feel bad for not quoting it all

Pigmassacre posted:

One year anniversary of the Wunderling release! We managed to launch on Steam, Switch, PS4 and Xbox One, and we've been working on more Wunderling! Feels good to finally reveal... something :)

https://twitter.com/retroidofficial/status/1367929432023982087?s=20
Did you add to the goon made games thread for that sweet free publicity?
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3957894

This looks neat, and within the scope for a 7drl! I see it got discussed before, but for the "wait" command, you could have it as a consumable item or skill with a long cooldown to avoid people abusing it.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

It's a shame you cant call it Kings Quest

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

Ignite Memories posted:

:golfclap:

KRILLIN IN THE NAME
Mar 25, 2006

Ignite Memories posted:

I was gonna call it "Chogue" as in Chess + Rogue (mostly because it sounds funny), but I did a quicker twitter search the other day and it turns out someone already beat me to it by four years. might have to check it out after the jam is over

updated the sprites a lil bit (will have to change the colour scheme so it doesnt blend in with the blood spatter) and there's a gameover state now

https://twitter.com/bonerman_inc/status/1369813853823852544

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Roguemate maybe?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
King's Gambit

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Tunicate posted:

Roguemate maybe?

This is already taken by a casual sex app for D&D players.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Obviously it needs to be an en passant joke.

"ne passant pas"?

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
diagonal movement?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KRILLIN IN THE NAME
Mar 25, 2006

xzzy posted:

Obviously it needs to be an en passant joke.

"ne passant pas"?

ceci n'est pas en passant xxx

edit: thanks to this thread I have decided on "Brawn Passant"

bob dobbs is dead posted:

diagonal movement?

Thought about it but probably wont have time to implement it/figure out a (no numpad friendly) control scheme. I do plan on letting the player use stolen enemy attacks though so the player can at least have pawn movement/diagonal attacks

KRILLIN IN THE NAME fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Mar 11, 2021