Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Regalia
Jun 11, 2007

Senso posted:

Which IDE do you use and how do you deal with having separate smallish projects? Let's say I'm using Visual Studio, it would be a pain to setup a new project with all the particular bindings and settings, just for a prototype. I wonder if there is an easy way to do that.

I do this in VS. Personally, I just set up a new solution for each prototype. By using property sheets, and a pretty simple main loop I can get a new idea set up in a matter of minutes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senso
Nov 4, 2005

Always working

Regalia posted:

I do this in VS. Personally, I just set up a new solution for each prototype. By using property sheets, and a pretty simple main loop I can get a new idea set up in a matter of minutes.

Ah yes, I did not think to do that. I can just create a new solution other than Release/Debug, let's say called "MapGen" and just tell it to compile my map generation source files/headers from a "prototype" folder.

EDIT: Sweet, that works pretty well in Code::Blocks.

Senso fucked around with this message at 10:04 on Sep 25, 2012

Mug
Apr 26, 2005
I just spent two days creating a second sheet of characters for a new in-game location. I made 6 new characters, but I haven't done any environmental art to go along with them yet, so I just dropped them into an existing level I've made to make sure they all animate okay.

After fiddling around with memory to allow enough room to fit 12 totally different looking characters into a single level, I got them walking around and looking good. Then, to see what would happen, I assigned the new set of characters to "team 2" and made put path nodes that would cause them to walk into all the existing NPCs that are on "team 1".

Watching the AI encounter "other team" AI, start running around shooting each-other and calling for help was beautiful. Things like this make you sit back and think "This is actually a game."

Nition
Feb 25, 2006

You really want to know?
Finally releasing my first game today. What started as a learning experience somehow turned into three months of work and a full game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nIsgrpWNMi0

Demo download, purchase, and everything are here.

It's pretty "casual", though it's not easy to complete, so I'm putting it as USD $2.50 and I'll see how it goes. Plus there's the demo version. Turns out releasing games is actually pretty nerve-racking! It's written in Unity using C#. This is my first Unity game (it's my first real game at all really), although I've used C# a bit in XNA in the past, and its been good experience. Unity seems really solid as a platform.

A hope this post isn't too spammy.

Senso
Nov 4, 2005

Always working

Nition posted:

Finally releasing my first game today. What started as a learning experience somehow turned into three months of work and a full game.

But most importantly, what happens when you fall?!

Nition
Feb 25, 2006

You really want to know?
We don't talk about that. So many lives lost...

Mug
Apr 26, 2005
Why do you have to purchase for different operating systems? Can't I just buy once and use it on all systems?

Nition
Feb 25, 2006

You really want to know?
Just not within the limits of the payment system unfortunately. The only way I could do that would be to bundle all three installers together so it'd be a 3x bigger download. I'm hoping to also get it on Desura which I think should fix that. I agree it's not ideal. If anyone bought one and wanted the other I'd be happy to send them a free activation.

Mug
Apr 26, 2005
Can't you just sell people a licence code that grants them access to a download page with all 3 options on it?

Nition
Feb 25, 2006

You really want to know?
Just did some research. I think there is actually a way. I'm gonna do some tests in the background.

EDIT: Managed to get it to be a single purchase which gives you three download options. You can't come back infinitely and re-download but it's definitely better.

Nition fucked around with this message at 11:22 on Sep 26, 2012

Mug
Apr 26, 2005
Cool, I'll buy a copy tomorrow when I get paid (literally do not have $2.50 in my account, just bought Blade Runner 5 disc version with my last dollars)

Oddx
Sep 9, 2005

Nition posted:

It's pretty "casual", though it's not easy to complete, so I'm putting it as USD $2.50 and I'll see how it goes. Plus there's the demo version. Turns out releasing games is actually pretty nerve-racking! It's written in Unity using C#. This is my first Unity game (it's my first real game at all really), although I've used C# a bit in XNA in the past, and its been good experience. Unity seems really solid as a platform.

This is really cool, and I'm actually doing a lot of very similar things for the audio in my game. Your explanation video was helpful in thinking about some of the problems I'm having (I don't lock anything based on the first triggered note, it's a bit more free form.)

One thing, in the demo my mouse's sensitivity is way too high. Can that be adjusted in the full game?

Lord Humongus
Apr 10, 2009

ice ice baby :toot:
I shrunk the darkness sqauares, how does this look?

http://www.stencyl.com/game/play/14712

DeathBySpoon
Dec 17, 2007

I got myself a paper clip!

Lord Humongus posted:

Looking better, but still rough- can they go smaller? If not, what if you made every square touching light be at half darkness instead of full? Kind of an anti-aliasing effect.

DeathBySpoon
Dec 17, 2007

http://www.swfup.com/swf/zvb1.swf

Working on an SMT style RPG battle system. Z is confirm and Shift is cancel. Nothing actually dies yet and Defend / Escape don't work, but hey! I think it's coming along pretty well. Next I'll add targeting / multitargeting / proper turn order.

ZombieApostate
Mar 13, 2011
Sorry, I didn't read your post.

I'm too busy replying to what I wish you said

:allears:

Your link is complaining that hotlinking isn't allowed :ohdear:

Nition
Feb 25, 2006

You really want to know?

Oddx posted:

One thing, in the demo my mouse's sensitivity is way too high. Can that be adjusted in the full game?

Actually I just patched that in. Press - or = on the keyboard to adjust mouse sensitivity. You can also press I to invert mouse.

Mug posted:

Cool, I'll buy a copy tomorrow when I get paid (literally do not have $2.50 in my account, just bought Blade Runner 5 disc version with my last dollars)

Man, if you don't have $2.50 to your name, PM me your email address and I'll send you a free copy. Make sure you spend that $2.50 working on your sweet game instead though.

DeathBySpoon
Dec 17, 2007

ZombieApostate posted:

Your link is complaining that hotlinking isn't allowed :ohdear:

Well crap. Here's a different one:

http://www.swfcabin.com/open/1348708374

That's ok, I added a lot since I posted- multiple targets, dying, and a stack based skill system (anyone who plays MtG will know what I mean). I thought an SMT style battle system with triggered abilities sounded cool, so that's what I'm making. You can't actually see that yet, but hey, progress.

DeathBySpoon fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Sep 27, 2012

Lord Humongus
Apr 10, 2009

DeathBySpoon posted:

Looking better, but still rough- can they go smaller? If not, what if you made every square touching light be at half darkness instead of full? Kind of an anti-aliasing effect.

It's hard to shrink them, they are created by figuring out each ones x, y, coords and spawning them when the player walks over the threshold of the rooms. It seems like an inefficent way of doing things, but I can't come up with anything better.

I darkened the light blocks: http://www.stencyl.com/game/play/14712

Lord Humongus fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Sep 27, 2012

Senso
Nov 4, 2005

Always working
The devs and people behind the Humble Bundle 6 did an AMA on Reddit. Some interesting stuff, they've got people from a few indie studio talking about their experience.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*

Lord Humongus posted:

I have a laptop that can run Skyrim with the graphics turned down, and it chugs when trying to run this demo.

Lord Humongus
Apr 10, 2009

Mercury_Storm posted:

I have a laptop that can run Skyrim with the graphics turned down, and it chugs when trying to run this demo.

I don't know what to do about it. I've tried everything so it doesnt lag. The darkness blocks are just actors that change when the light object hits them, I don't know if there's any other possible way to have dark/light in the stencyl engine. It's becoming frustrating.

DeathBySpoon
Dec 17, 2007

Stencyl runs atop Flixel, right? I don't know how much control you have, but try making a BitmapData, drawing the squares directly to it, and then setting it as the image for a FlxSprite you just put in front of everything. That would be a LOT faster than individual actors.

farfromsleep
Sep 16, 2012

space cat wannabe

Lord Humongus posted:

I don't know what to do about it. I've tried everything so it doesnt lag. The darkness blocks are just actors that change when the light object hits them, I don't know if there's any other possible way to have dark/light in the stencyl engine. It's becoming frustrating.
Pretty bad lag here too with the demo. I notice it slows considerably as you progress, which has me thinking you're probably spawning those blocks and leaving them there (which is probably why it gets worse from room to room). Even if they're outside the visible area, your collision routine's probably checking against every instance of these, even when they can't be affected. More blocks means more checks per step, which is eventually going to end up chugging.

Not sure if Stencyl's got a function for this, but you could try deactivating any instances of those blocks outside of the visible screen area. Or as a quick n' dirty fix, killing and respawning the blocks on entering and exiting a room, so you only have one room's worth to worry about. Another option is to check for collision less often, say every few ticks/steps/frames instead of doing it every frame.

Edit: Or what DeathBySpoon said.

Lord Humongus
Apr 10, 2009

farfromsleep posted:

dirty fix, killing and respawning the blocks on entering and exiting a room

That's whats already implemented. They despawn offscreen, and spawn again when the player walks onto a region. I thought it was all the errors, but once I got rid of most of them, it still continued to chug.

DeathBySpoon posted:

BitmapData, drawing the squares directly to it, and then setting it as the image for a FlxSprite you just put in front of everything. That would be a LOT faster than individual actors.

Stencyl has a function to put in typed code, so I'll try this. Thanks to both of you dudes and the thread for helping me with this.

Mug
Apr 26, 2005
I did some cool stuff in my game that I thought I'd write a few words about.

After I made the "Explosions" work by emitting an ellipse that slowly grows, I took the same logic that makes them work and recreated all of my in-game "Sounds" to use the same expanding spread.

Now, when you fire a bullet, you gun emits a "SoundPulse" that expands across the game field. It expands slightly slower than the bullets travel, so you can shoot people dead before they hear your gunshot. If the soundpulse hits a person, they will either call for help (Emitting a sound pulse that says Help! and also includes the location of the person they're scared of) or they'll start shooting back at you.

Security cameras emit "Alert!" sounds that catch people's attention. Other electronics use sound for other reasons, too.

The coolest thing is the SpawnSoundPulse routine has a variable you pass for it for "IsVisible". If you set it to True, all the sounds in the game are rendered as ripple that move across the screen so you can see exactly who is hearing what and when. Sounds can be set to "Penetrate Walls", "Penetrate Glass", and "Penetrate Ornaments". A "Silenced" weapon can be heard if you're in the same room as it, but not from outside that room. If someone in the room hears the gun shot, they will call for help loudly, which can be heard through walls. But because bullets can hit people before the gunshot sound hits them, you can kill people with silenced weapons as long as no one else is in the same room.

It's cool!

Mug fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Sep 27, 2012

Svampson
Jul 29, 2006

Same.

This sounds like the best thing! Looking forward to eventually playing this bad boy :D

Mug
Apr 26, 2005

Svampson posted:

This sounds like the best thing! Looking forward to eventually playing this bad boy :D

I'm really looking forward most of all to seeing the user-made levels people make. Every step of the way I'm making sure every thing the game is capable of doing can be created not just in the code, but also created in the campaign editor.

I'll upload a video of myself building a level and then playing it one day.

Mug
Apr 26, 2005

Nition posted:

Actually I just patched that in. Press - or = on the keyboard to adjust mouse sensitivity. You can also press I to invert mouse.

Man, if you don't have $2.50 to your name, PM me your email address and I'll send you a free copy. Make sure you spend that $2.50 working on your sweet game instead though.

Sent you some money, downloadin' some games.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

Lord Humongus posted:

I work in flash — not the stencyl engine though — and am pretty good at thinking of terrible ways to hack things in. If I wanted to make a really, really quick lighting system without getting into complex math, this is how I'd do it:

I'd make a movieclip that's a series of 10 or 20 or 30 black dots in a line (represented here by orange dots in a line... whoops), then duplicate and rotate that movieclip a bunch of times until I'd made a cone of vision. Then, on each frame, I'd use a for loop to iterate down each line, from the inside to the outside, testing for collision with walls and objects. If a dot collides, then dots further down that line display. Then have another for loop that does this for each vision line. f you applied Flash's blur filter to the whole vision cone you could have a fairly slick-looking thing.

The light blue oval thing I drew that surrounds the player is a single graphical object, a constant field of darkness that rotates with the mouse.

Polo-Rican fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Sep 27, 2012

tehsid
Dec 24, 2007

Nobility is sadly overrated.

Nition posted:

Hey dude, congratulations. You've made it!

You're on Rock Paper Shotgun!
https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/09/27/exquisitely-synth-ful-skylight-demo-and-release/

Good work, I'm really enjoying it at the moment. The music is fantastic and the game flows really well once you get the hang of it. Thanks!

Juc66
Nov 20, 2005
Lord of The Pants
Pfft, I play piano like that in real life.

Nition
Feb 25, 2006

You really want to know?

Mug posted:

I did some cool stuff in my game that I thought I'd write a few words about.

After I made the "Explosions" work by emitting an ellipse that slowly grows, I took the same logic that makes them work and recreated all of my in-game "Sounds" to use the same expanding spread.

Now, when you fire a bullet, you gun emits a "SoundPulse" that expands across the game field. It expands slightly slower than the bullets travel, so you can shoot people dead before they hear your gunshot. If the soundpulse hits a person, they will either call for help (Emitting a sound pulse that says Help! and also includes the location of the person they're scared of) or they'll start shooting back at you.

Security cameras emit "Alert!" sounds that catch people's attention. Other electronics use sound for other reasons, too.

The coolest thing is the SpawnSoundPulse routine has a variable you pass for it for "IsVisible". If you set it to True, all the sounds in the game are rendered as ripple that move across the screen so you can see exactly who is hearing what and when. Sounds can be set to "Penetrate Walls", "Penetrate Glass", and "Penetrate Ornaments". A "Silenced" weapon can be heard if you're in the same room as it, but not from outside that room. If someone in the room hears the gun shot, they will call for help loudly, which can be heard through walls. But because bullets can hit people before the gunshot sound hits them, you can kill people with silenced weapons as long as no one else is in the same room.

It's cool!

This sounds awesome. Did you ever play Commandos (1998) or the sequels? It had some stealth/cone of vision mechanics a bit like your game. Also, hope you have some fun with my game, thanks.

tehsid posted:

Hey dude, congratulations. You've made it!

You're on Rock Paper Shotgun!
https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/09/27/exquisitely-synth-ful-skylight-demo-and-release/

Good work, I'm really enjoying it at the moment. The music is fantastic and the game flows really well once you get the hang of it. Thanks!

Glad you like it. Sometimes I think I should have added this or that or improved whatever vefore releasing it, but I could probably have kept doing that forever. It started off as basically just a test, I had to get it released!

And yeah, apparently it's way easier to get your game on indie game sites than it is to get your music on music sites. I sent info and a free copy to a bunch of places last night and already a few have put up articles. When I released an album at the end of last year, I sent it to 50+ sites and blogs and didn't get a single review. Actually the most exposure I got was through SomethingAwful. :)

Mug
Apr 26, 2005

Nition posted:

This sounds awesome. Did you ever play Commandos (1998) or the sequels? It had some stealth/cone of vision mechanics a bit like your game. Also, hope you have some fun with my game, thanks.

I always looked at Commandos and thought I'd love it, but I never actually took the time to play it. It looks very slow paced.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Mug posted:

I always looked at Commandos and thought I'd love it, but I never actually took the time to play it. It looks very slow paced.

It's a bit misleading. It's more of a puzzle game than a tactical/strategy game. You have to figure out how to use all your guys special abilities together in order to accomplish the goal. Which does usually involve stabbing a bunch of nazis in the back, but still. The actual shooting mechanics are pretty terrible, but you aren't really supposed to do much shooting (except maybe with the sniper).

It would be an interesting thing to look at though, just to contrast against games like Syndicate or turn-based tactical stuff like Jagged Alliance or X-Com. Might give you some interesting ideas (you can get the whole series on GoG).

HelixFox
Dec 20, 2004

Heed the words of this ancient spirit.
Commandos was a great game, if a bit poorly executed. I played the hell out of the demo that I got from a PC Format magazine disc. Ah, memories. I still remember Amiga magazines boasting about having a whole megabyte of content on their floppy disks.

I'd love to see a modern take on the basic concept of the Commandos games or something similar like the Hitman series - a puzzle game portrayed through the medium of stabbing/shooting dudes and blowing things up.

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
if it's not rough it isn't fun.
Hey Mug, I don't know if you've changed this since posting the video of your explosion testing, but it looks like the spawn point for your bullets is lagging behind the player quite a bit. Saw quite a few cases in your video where the player was moving up, and the bullet spawn was at his feet rather than the barrel of the gun. You may want to adjust the bullet spawn by the velocity of the player to compensate. The feature looks really cool, and appears to be working great, this is just a little detail that makes things look really weird.

Mug
Apr 26, 2005

G-Prime posted:

Hey Mug, I don't know if you've changed this since posting the video of your explosion testing, but it looks like the spawn point for your bullets is lagging behind the player quite a bit. Saw quite a few cases in your video where the player was moving up, and the bullet spawn was at his feet rather than the barrel of the gun. You may want to adjust the bullet spawn by the velocity of the player to compensate. The feature looks really cool, and appears to be working great, this is just a little detail that makes things look really weird.

Internally (for the purposes of dealing damage) the bullets travel along tiles, so I can either spawn it at the "CurrentTile" the creature is standing on, or the "NextTile" they're about to stand on if they're transitioning between two.

I could offset the actual on-screen rendering to draw the line from the exact pixel of the character's arm to the exact point of the mouse click if you think it would be worth the effort? I doubt it would be very hard. I'd just add "PixelStart" and "PixelEnd" on top of "TileStart" and "TileEnd" for the bullet renderer.

Anyway, I came back to say I've made some cool new progress. I've just completely off-loaded my "Mission Load" code to be part of the main game loop, instead of something that happens before the game loop starts. Now, I have a flag called MetaCampaign.CampaignLoaded, and if it gets set to "FALSE" the game will re-load the "Current" level.

With this, I made an NPC you can talk to, choose a mission (which changes MetaCampaign.CurrentMissionBaseFile to the one you picked) and then click "Dispatch!" (which changes MetaCampaign.CampaignLoaded to FALSE) and the game loop flushes out the existing mission and changes to the one you've asked for.

Seems to work good; the ability to transition between levels has been something I've been worried about tackling in the code up until now.

edit: cool fact - The characters will probably never actually hold guns in their arms when shooting, they just point their arms out with nothing in them. I don't think this is something I'll ever change.

Mug fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Sep 28, 2012

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
if it's not rough it isn't fun.

Mug posted:

Internally (for the purposes of dealing damage) the bullets travel along tiles, so I can either spawn it at the "CurrentTile" the creature is standing on, or the "NextTile" they're about to stand on if they're transitioning between two.

I could offset the actual on-screen rendering to draw the line from the exact pixel of the character's arm to the exact point of the mouse click if you think it would be worth the effort? I doubt it would be very hard. I'd just add "PixelStart" and "PixelEnd" on top of "TileStart" and "TileEnd" for the bullet renderer.

Personally, I think it'd be worthwhile. If you're doing collision along the full path of shots, you could easily run into edge cases where a player fires, and the bullet slides past the target because the expectation is that it'll fire from an exact point in relation to the player every time, and that could be frustrating. With the way your explosive shots work, it appears that it's just based on wherever the mouse is located, and there's no actual collision checking. It isn't harmful in terms of simulation for the shot to spawn independently of the player in a case like that, it's just visually jarring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mug
Apr 26, 2005

G-Prime posted:

Personally, I think it'd be worthwhile. If you're doing collision along the full path of shots, you could easily run into edge cases where a player fires, and the bullet slides past the target because the expectation is that it'll fire from an exact point in relation to the player every time, and that could be frustrating. With the way your explosive shots work, it appears that it's just based on wherever the mouse is located, and there's no actual collision checking. It isn't harmful in terms of simulation for the shot to spawn independently of the player in a case like that, it's just visually jarring.

Collision isn't per-pixel, so I'll change it so that the white rendered line for the bullet comes out of the gun and travels to the tile you clicked on, but it will still only deal damage in a tile-based manner. If you watch the "shadow" that appears under the bullet, you can see what tile it's dealing damage to.

I'll make the change tomorrow so you should be able to see it in effect in whatever video I upload next. The white pixel line will come precisely from the shooters hand, but the shadow of the bullet will still be on the "floor".

edit: Oh wow, that was WAY easier to implement than I expected, literally 6 lines of code. It makes a huge difference, I never even noticed it before but now that it's fixed I can really appreciate it. Thanks for the genuinely good advice!

Mug fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Sep 28, 2012