Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
I totally missed getting this comment in the old thread before it was closed, but on the subject of licensing music for games from composers then on top of the exclusive/non-exclusive issue it's worth agreeing to what extent you're allowed to make derivative works.

It should never be a problem with most composers cool enough to collaborate on an indie game, but it'll forestall any sticky situation where the muso hits it large with a major label whose legal eagles then that determine your 30 second edit crop of their tune that ends in an explosion/cymbal crash/record scratch requires full renegotiation of all licensing rights.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
I went mad. :ghost:

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

thedaian posted:

Does anyone have suggestions for how to respond to "I'd love to play your game but I don't have Windows" comments?

"Thanks for showing an interest and getting in touch! There are no plans right now for $X but your suggestion has been noted and will be considered for future developments."

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

The White Dragon posted:

It's okay though, it's totally doable. You might even walk away from the project still sane!

... But probably not :smithicide:

Sanity is an impediment to game development.

Pollyanna posted:

Regarding the Bosca Ceoil post from last page, I ended up making the dinkiest Blue Monday cover in the world. :downs: I cannot figure out why it sounds so weird. What's off about it?

Seems to me like the melody rhythm is slightly off in the second half and the bassline's harmonics sound way out of key (could just be an artefact of an unsculpted instrument choice).

If you want, I can see if I can find my notes from when I did a crass cover of it.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
Rope ladder drops from sky, NPC climbs up it, rope ladder disappears.

If the player character tries to climb it, they cling on, fumble, flail, then fall back down (whilst the kitty shakes its head and rolls its eyes).

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

Mug posted:

When did this become "normal"?

The true argument and cause of a million assumption-bugs is of course left-handed versus right-handed.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

Shalinor posted:

Yes, but that only makes sense for a centered coordinate system. The second you map your coordinate system to only be quadrant 1, putting 0 in the lower left instead of the top left abandons the whole origin of that convention (ie. that the memory buffer started at 0 in the upper left of the screen).

NGUI also lets you set this to whatever you like, as a matter of interest, by setting an anchor. It defaults to The One True Standard of 0 is upper-left, though.

Oh, I'm not disagreeing at all that 0,0 as top left makes more sense in 2D work, particularly with UI where one thinks of rows and columns and increased content extends downwards. Of course, that then conflicts with those 2D platformer coders who consider the one true standard to be Y as distance above the ground plane, and round and round it goes.

Edit: flexible configuration of coordinate systems rule.

ynohtna fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Mar 18, 2014

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

horriblePencilist posted:

I'm starting to wonder how I could properly rotate the character freely without hitting gimbal lock. Every movement at every angle has to be possible, so with Euler I'd be bound to hit gimbal lock sooner or later, right?

~Quaternions~

(Don't sweat the math behind them, just use an existing implementation.)

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

Pizzatime posted:

Say, is there any place where one could have like a devlog thread on SA at all?

Cavern of Cobol has a project.log subforum aimed at exactly this!

http://forums.somethingawful.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=265

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

anothergod posted:

I'm really cool and I make pixel art real fast, so that might be a plus for the actual jamming. Note I have good hygene, but am farty.

I think the phrase you're looking for is "arty farty". :)

(Good luck with continuing the project!)

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
If you haven't seen it already, there's this GDC 2016 presentation from Rami Ismail of Vlambeer about their experiences developing Nuclear Throne on Twitch that may provide a couple of pointers:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MXLRhUw4FJk

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
Gotta be the face of ~your own brand~!

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
I can't see any problems here.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
Test your game on a library or internet-cafe computer?

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

:siren: WARNING :siren:
A HUGE BATTLESHIP
Too Much Abstraction
IS APPROACHING FAST

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
That's no bug, that's your character's latent mutant x-gene abilities kicking in!

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
Looking impressive!

IIRC, Catmull-Rom splines are the goto solution for smooth camera interpolation through waypoints.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

Makes me wanna grow another pair of butt cheeks! :yosbutt: :yosbutt:

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

BrokenGameboy posted:

A friend and I are having fun making a 3D stealth game in Godot. I have some ideas on how the system will work, but is there any good write ups on how the stealth system in Thief The Dark Project works under the hood? Thanks in advance.

Cool!

Have you seen these vintage gamasutra articles?

https://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/131762/postmortem_thief_the_dark_project.php
https://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/131297/building_an_ai_sensory_system_.php

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

baby puzzle posted:

help i'm stuck in the dev cave

I could be doing tweets and dev logs and things that get people interested but again I don't want to do any of that and I just want to churn out the next big update.

When you're in the zone and the code's starting to flow, ain't nothing to do but ride the waves, baby.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

matti posted:

what could be a good vehicle for me to practice writing? specifically help learn the "bad fantasy novel" voice

Join local writing groups and behold with thine innocent eyes the endless beguilingly eldritch literary horrors within.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
I'm a dumb and couldn't figure out that I needed to click on the softly glowing chest icon to do the necessary upgrade/item step between encounters.

I'm really captivated by the mechanics, though! (e: and thank you for undo.)

ynohtna fucked around with this message at 12:14 on Jul 30, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

LoboFlex posted:

There are no buildings in the game (at the moment atleast), it's all about building the landscape itself. Here's a quick video, its all placeholders for now:

https://i.imgur.com/7LFXDKI.mp4

districts would be a great name, but since it's all about building the biomes/biotopes/whatever, and not administrative regions I'm not so sure.

It'd be nice to hear what others think though, even if yeah, I might just go with "biomes" since its accepted in videogames and that's it.

This looks like catnip to me, an autist. :lovebird: