Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kunzelman
Dec 26, 2007

Lord Shaper
Just hopping in to say that I have made a game in Construct called Smash the Patriarchy! It is a platformer where you rescue feminist ghosts and platform your way out of oppression.

You can check out my blog post/links here.

I had a great time making the game. I also really, really like Construct (way more that Gamemaker) and I had an awesome time making all the audio and visual parts of the game. I just want to say thanks to everyone who posts in this thread (and the previous one). I've read countless posts about design, read links to forum posts about art, and learned basically everything about game making from this thread.

Anyway, sorry for running in and gushing. I'm just proud to have a finished product, even if it is a little ugly/Mario-like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kunzelman
Dec 26, 2007

Lord Shaper

Mug posted:

Added you to the OP, do you have facebook or twitter you'd like people to follow, too?

Sure, twitter is @ckunzelman. Thanks for adding me.

Also, Ularg I listened to the first track you made and now it is stuck in my head super hard. That never happens to me, so great job.

Kunzelman
Dec 26, 2007

Lord Shaper

ScirraTom posted:

Tom here from Scirra! Just saying thank you for listing Construct 2 :) We're a 2 man company based in London (it's me and my brother running it) and things are going well! We get really excited seeing Construct becoming a bit more recognisable :)

If anyone wants to see some examples of games made in Construct 2 check our arcade. These are my favourites:

http://www.scirra.com/arcade/addicting-rotary-games/848/airscape
http://www.scirra.com/arcade/games/addicting-action-games/1694/my-irrational-fear-of-unicorns
http://www.scirra.com/arcade/games/addicting-action-games/1487/super-ubi-land

Although we have a smaller community, they are all very friendly and helpful!

To reiterate what I said last page, I made a game with Construct 2 and it was incredibly easy.

Kunzelman
Dec 26, 2007

Lord Shaper
Ladies and gentlemen, the powers of sarcasm!

Kunzelman
Dec 26, 2007

Lord Shaper
I just thought that I would poke my head in here to say that I made a twitter list of all the twitter names that are in the OP. I like using lists, and in case someone wants to check all those people out without individually following/making a twitter, I thought the list would be helpful.

Here is a link! Feel free to add it to the OP.

Kunzelman
Dec 26, 2007

Lord Shaper

Nition posted:

Want to add me? My Twitter isn't in the OP because I only made it recently. @_BillB

Got you added!

ClownSyndrome, that cat looks awesome. What kind of game is it?

Kunzelman
Dec 26, 2007

Lord Shaper

GetWellGamers posted:

So, the deadline for IGF submissions is in 9 days, and we've got what I think is a pretty solid entry, but even so, any way I can conscript a few goons to play through the latest build and give feedback? I'll PM the link if you say yes, or otherwise give me some means to send you the link... :shobon:

I would totally play something. I can also string sentences together in a cogent manner so my feedback might actually be helpful.

Kunzelman
Dec 26, 2007

Lord Shaper
I just wanted to jump in and say that GetWellGamers' game is absolutely great.

Kunzelman
Dec 26, 2007

Lord Shaper
Amazing work Mug, Oddx, and the chaos engine.

Oddx posted:

When it first shows up it'll appear as a massive cloud covering the lake approaching from the horizon and when it fades away it'll break up into smaller pieces like this cloud as they fade away and drift off. I don't know why but this makes me excited.
I've been intrigued every time you post a shot or a video, but I'm still really confused as to what your game actually is.

Kunzelman
Dec 26, 2007

Lord Shaper

Oddx posted:

At its most basic, it's a touch based generative music game. It has a fixed camera view point where you swipe to throw stones onto a lake to hear the sounds they make. As that goes on, the environment changes from day to night, causing the sounds to change, with things like weather effects triggered randomly. Everything has a musical component to it. At the same time poetry appears across the lake and sky revealing a narrative.

I'm really just experimenting in creating a small environment that reflects some themes and feelings that I want to explore in a digital way. I'm not sure if that really makes it any more clear though.

That sounds absolutely amazing. That's really my reason for making/playing around with games, too. I just like making small art experiences that people can enjoy--Smash The Patriarchy! was a part of that.

Last weekend I "jammed out" a little art game about a goblin that has a story. I put a lot of thought into it philosophically--in that I'm trying to generate a specific effect through all the the mechanics, art, story, etc.--but I also wanted to make something that takes a minute to play, is accessible (the opposite of STP!), and made me happy to work on.

I didn't really post it here, but here is a link to Goblin Story if anyone is interested in checking it out.

Anyway, I am super excited about your game Oddx. Make sure you post in the thread when it is done!

Kunzelman
Dec 26, 2007

Lord Shaper

ClownSyndrome posted:

I love the look, would love to see how it looks with CGA colours!

In other news, the game I made for Halloween (posted a few pages back) won YoYo games October steamworks competition!

http://www.yoyogames.com/news/135

Congratulations!

Kunzelman
Dec 26, 2007

Lord Shaper
So I released my newest art "game" earlier.

I know that Shalinor remembers the kickstarter I ran a few months back. It was a strange parody of Kickstarter itself, sort of testing the ironic entertainment value of the enterprise, and because of the particular terms of use for Kickstarter, I had to have a product that the funds went toward.

That product was Funeral. The game is about a funeral. It is also about fragmentary knowledge, continuity, and Dragon Warrior.

I'm partially making this post to say, hey, look, I made a thing that takes five minutes to play, but I also want to say a quick thing about Construct 2.

The past couple games that I made, Smash the Patriarchy! and Goblin Story, were both made in Construct 2. Funeral was, too. There are a couple things I like about the program--first, I have zero programming experience or knowledge. Second, I like that it exports to HTML5. I want people to be able to play my game without having to install anything, and since I make things that are generally kind of short, I want people to be able to pick up and play.

So Construct 2 is great for that, but I already feel severely limited by what I am able to do. Generating a simple JRPG-style interface with interaction that pops up in a dialogue box was actually really difficult to implement for me. It was also difficult for me to create NPCs. The sideways method I ended up making is "within x distance, y button creates z behavior." While I understand from a programming standpoint that those parameters are exactly what all interactions with objects are, it would be much easier if Construct 2 had something similar to RPG Maker's handling of NPCs (they are a certain object with certain behaviors programmed already.)

I guess what I am saying is that Construct 2 is great for whacking together a certain kind of game in short span of time (I did Goblin Story in eight hours or so), but I found it more difficult to make this game in the system. This is probably a failing on my part, though.

Kunzelman
Dec 26, 2007

Lord Shaper

Mug posted:

I remember your kickstarter, and after playing goblin story I actually realized you might make a good thing.

Now I will look at this other thing you've made.

edit: Yeah, good.

Yeah, the kickstarter existed purely as a piece of art, but a lot of people didn't take it that way.

Also, glad you like it.

Kunzelman
Dec 26, 2007

Lord Shaper

Oddx posted:

I struggled so hard with this in both Construct and Stencyl (which I don't think I'm going to use for the time being) in creating a menu system with selectable dialog/action decisions. I really liked Funeral and Goblin Story too by the way.

I don't understand why that isn't a premade thing. "Menu" as an object can't be that hard to make and it would up the usability of the program a lot. Glad you liked the games!

Kunzelman
Dec 26, 2007

Lord Shaper
Ol Uncle Anime is a totally rad and qualified game maker person.

Also, for new people to the thread, I run the Making Games Megathread twitter list - also known as SA Game People. I added all of the new twitter handles to the list, but if anyone else wants to be added and isn't on there (there are only 25 or so) please post here and let me know or send me a PM or tweet at me (@ckunzelman) or something.

Here is the list.

Kunzelman
Dec 26, 2007

Lord Shaper

floofyscorp posted:

Is this list for people who actually talk about games on Twitter, or just... game-making people on Twitter? I don't often talk about work but I do tweet like I'm addicted to it(I might be).

I'm @floofyscorp if non-games verbal diarrhoea is your thing :v:

It is literally just a list of people who are making things and posting in the thread. I mostly made it so people can go look at it all follow everyone instead of having to manually move down through the OP.

Kunzelman
Dec 26, 2007

Lord Shaper
That video is so, so great Shalinor.

Also, I made a game last night.

It is called Oh No and it features a lil person running away from Michel Foucault.

You press buttons to some rockin' music. It makes me vaguely motion sick.

Play it here and read a little bit about it here.

Kunzelman
Dec 26, 2007

Lord Shaper

I made a game called Alpaca Run where you are a lovable alpaca traveling across the United States.

There is a song that goes along with it.

You can play it here.

A BONUS DEVELOPMENT GIF:

Kunzelman
Dec 26, 2007

Lord Shaper
The protagonist for my next game is this little guy.

I bet he is really nice.

Kunzelman
Dec 26, 2007

Lord Shaper

Spark That Bled posted:

Speaking of engines, what about Construct2? It's pretty similar to GameMaker, but it looks like it's got a nicer interface and has HTML5 support right out of the box. I already made a game from a tutorial out of it, and I think that it's pretty good for quickly prototyping 2d action games, at least.

I use Construct 2 for everything and I am very happy with it. It is pretty rare that I want to do something that I can't do, but it is made in such a way that there are plugins to inject code into your game. So if there's some like next level poo poo you want to get going on, you could always figure out some kind of labyrinthine way to do it.

If you're just making games in your free time, which is what I'm doing, then it is pretty rad.

Kunzelman
Dec 26, 2007

Lord Shaper
Hey y'all what up just a wriggling horror over here.

Kunzelman
Dec 26, 2007

Lord Shaper

Mug posted:

Everything you create is loving amazing.

This is the best thing that's happened to me this year to date.

StevenM posted:

"Hey, Bob. Wanna grab a beer after work?"
"ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn"
"Yeah, that's the married life for you."

This IS a game where you go undercover as a mild-mannered IT worker while plotting to subjugate the entire human race, right?

I actually think that it is going to be kind of semi-parody of games like Lone Survivor and Home that are these pixelated horror games where you go through these incredibly hackneyed stories about loss and survival and memory while scary noises rumble in your required headphones. I basically want to make something that resonates with those games while also recognizing that they take themselves way, way too seriously. I'm not very good at making game art, but I think I've found a style that I'm at least competent with, and I think I can probably do some light comedy writing.

Of course, as is my way, I am going to kickstart it for a ridiculously low sum. I'll be launching that next week.

Maybe I could do an offshoot office scene, sort of like the way that Limits and Demonstrations works in relation to Kentucky Route Zero.

Kunzelman
Dec 26, 2007

Lord Shaper

Rutibex posted:

What's the sentiment on RPG Maker around here? After getting my feet wet with Minecraft modding I have decided to get back into making my old and abandoned RPG Maker game. I'm really starting to notice it's limitations now that I've had a taste of "real" coding; though it's basically perfect in so many way for the game I'm making that I can live with it knowing any other engine would require 10X more effort to implement the basic stuff RPG Maker has incuded by default.

Anyway my game is basically a hybrid of jRPG and Roguelike called Dungeon Quest. The purpose is to get to the bottom of a huge randomized dungeon using a party of adventures. I have ripped a lot from Final Fantasy and D&D. There are 50 human characters with individual abilities and 50 unique job classes; as well as FF7 Materia and FF6 Magicite that can be equipped for other modifiers. I also ripped a lot from Pokemon, there are 7 recruitable Pokemon that can be evolved into any of the 251 original from gold/silver. I have all 251 Pokemon abilities as well as the TMs and HMs and the movable boulders/rocks/bushes/etc obstacles that make for a good Roguelike maze. At the moment every character comes in a Pokeball (pokemon and humans alike) and you can kill the trainers in pokebattles. I don't think I'm going to change this :v:

I've just about finished the boring database work and am close to being ready to the much more entertaining job of battle and level design. Here's test movie I did after my most recent build:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8aA8IhJ6_Eg

This sounds really dismissive, but the only thing I think when I read this is "I would never want to play this or have anyone talk to me about it," which probably isn't a good reaction to elicit.

Kunzelman
Dec 26, 2007

Lord Shaper
I made a little bit of progress today and figured out how I want to display dialogue (which is going to be super crucial, I think.)

#gifshotmemorialday?

Click for a great big GIF

Kunzelman
Dec 26, 2007

Lord Shaper

G-Prime posted:

Jerky cam

Yeah, it flips pretty quickly back and forth--that's still not a system set in stone, so I'm glad you said something. It actually looks less smooth in the gif than in the game proper, but that might be some kind of GifCam setting I should fiddle with.

Kunzelman
Dec 26, 2007

Lord Shaper
Yeah, I think that you should just go with what you have Mug. There is nothing that makes me happier than knowing that someone in an office will read that and have to make a decision about if it is "good enough" or not.

Also this new horror/comedy game is getting super made because the kickstarter doubled its goal of $125 in 8 hours.

Kunzelman
Dec 26, 2007

Lord Shaper
whoa 72o this music is way good

Kunzelman
Dec 26, 2007

Lord Shaper

FinalSin posted:

I was tired of making games with no art or anything in, so this year I started making small games where I tried really hard to draw and animate some small sprites. Nothing fancy. Here's what I started with:

It's an endless runner, basically. The sun slowly sets, you run between flamingo(e?)s, water splashes everywhere. It looks nice, but I can't think what the hell to do for a core mechanic. Can anyone suggest anything? It's based on this photo:

I can't really do the usual endless runner thing of huge gaps to jump across really. I was going to do some kind of time attack thing where you grab fireflies to delay the sunset, but that feels pretty lame, especially if there's no way to die.

It's fun animating stuff though! Even a few frames made me feel completely awesome even if it actually looks a bit naff.

Instead of pits you can go with storks? Something dark and contrasty with flamingos and the sunset that has to be jumped over.

Kunzelman
Dec 26, 2007

Lord Shaper

SystemLogoff posted:

So, I've used some public domain images from NASA, and a quick 3D model I threw together render and have something for the opening to my RPG.

This is very, very cool.

Kunzelman
Dec 26, 2007

Lord Shaper
holy crap Yodzilla, Crab Commando is awesome.

I also did a jam game recently for #creativeconflictjam

It is a game where you let time kill you. Plays best in Chrome? Who knows? I don't test anything in any browser other than Chrome.

http://heylookatmygames.com/conflict/

Kunzelman
Dec 26, 2007

Lord Shaper
I spent all day thinking about a way too scary game and all I ended up making was an ugly tunnel background.

But I did manage to fix some weird errors so whoooo yeah the minutiae of games creation.

Kunzelman
Dec 26, 2007

Lord Shaper

Unormal posted:

Oh yeah, sexy arrow.

That's a dope arrow.

Kunzelman
Dec 26, 2007

Lord Shaper
I just finished this little arcane book cart for Ooooh way too scary and it is the closest thing to a screenshot I have today.

Kunzelman
Dec 26, 2007

Lord Shaper
My god, Spek, that processing halt thing is really really cool. Everything you post is gold.

As for me, I've spent something like 85 hours working on WAY TOO SCARY GAME over the past month in order to release it by the kickstarter date at the end of August. I've resigned myself to the fact that I'm probably not going to make it, which sort of bums me out, but oh well. Something that I wasn't expecting was that the increased length and number of animations would take up such a MASSIVE amount of time and I'm really paying the price for that.

Today I made a sorcererscientist.

Kunzelman
Dec 26, 2007

Lord Shaper
I made a mirror with a curtain that melts into a pile of blood and becomes consumed by a dark void today.

Kunzelman
Dec 26, 2007

Lord Shaper
The most efficient and mobile inca tern.

Kunzelman
Dec 26, 2007

Lord Shaper
So a few months ago I kickstarter a game that I knew was going to be a little bit horror and a little bit comedy and after putting in way more hours than anyone should over a two month period I have now released Catachresis: A Way Too Scary Game.

It is a 2D horror game in the vein of Home and Lone Survivor but getting rid of 99% of the things that make those objects "games." It is mostly a narrative that you walk through. There are some good ambient tracks to go with the whole thing, and everyone who has played it so far has enjoyed at least some aspect. It takes about 45 minutes to make it through the whole process.

Here is a link to a blog post where you can play the game and learn other stuff about it.

From a "making games thread" perspective, I can say that about halfway through development I realized that either a.) Construct 2 isn't built to make a longform narrative adventure game or b.) I am totally awful at figuring out how to make a 2D narrative game within the affordances of the Construct 2 program. In either case, I really struggled against the program a lot, and most of my bugfixing had to do with figuring out weird timing issues and inconsistencies between browsers so I could get a roughly complete experience for people across platforms.

I'm thinking of writing up a proper postmortem on the game in the future, and I might do a first draft here, so if anyone plays it and has any specific questions about how I did something or the inner workings of Construct 2 as I learned them through fumbling game creation, feel free to tweet/PM/post them.

OH AND ALSO there is a launch trailer that I've gotten a lot of positive feedback on.

Kunzelman
Dec 26, 2007

Lord Shaper
Obelisk Showdown

*lightning bolt*

Kunzelman
Dec 26, 2007

Lord Shaper
I was on a long haitus from this thread due to other INTERNET BUSINESS but now I have read the ~100 pages that I missed and I'm back in full form.

This is not a significant contribution, but the games that have popped up here over the past few months are all really neat, and I am genuinely surprised that The White Dragon is still chugging right along. I'm mega impressed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kunzelman
Dec 26, 2007

Lord Shaper

Shoehead posted:

Been working on this for a Jam. It's a little life sim/virtual pet kind of deal were you have to tend to the needs of your guy or girl. How they look changes depending on their mood too, and at some point soon I'll be throwing in some random day to day events that give some bonuses or penalties. Also that clock is the dumbest thing ever and is literally just a value that increases by 1 for every tick and then resets at 2400 and I love it.

Edit: Oh yeah I forgot to mention, this one's been incredibly bug free for me, which if you know me then you know I break things in pretty doofy ways. But at one point if you changed the character from male to female she would just cry, uncontrollably, forever.

Just wanted to say that I think this is beautiful. I've been building home interiors over the past couple weeks and you've got a talent for it that I can't even begin to approximate.