Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!

Shalinor posted:

Anywho, I am a firm believer that quick saves shouldn't be used to balance for accessibility. That's a stopgap. Add an easy mode, don't space your checkpoints so far apart / be more forgiving with how much progress a player loses on death, etc, but saving shouldn't fill that gap.
Anchoring saves to checkpoints should be enough and there are far fewer technical challenges involved.

Gromit posted:

Well, no that's not the same. Save scumming is not an inherent game design, it's a player choice. What you describe would be the forced default behaviour.
Yes, but allowing it forces you to make a bunch of unhealthy design decisions if you want to present any sort of challenge to people that do it. The most egregious example is probably Max Payne, which was essentially designed around save scumming: Almost anything that can kill you will do so instantly, there aren't really degrees of success and failure or protracted fights.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

The thing is that if you already have checkpoint-anchored saves, the only thing save-any-time offers is the ability to break up the intermediate time on your own terms, which is used much more for reducing difficulty than managing fatigue, and there are better ways to handle users wanting to tweak the difficulty mid-session like just letting them change the difficulty.

Quicksave in particular pretty much exists for save scumming, since the only thing it offers over the main save mechanism is frequency.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

I recall C# Express being severely stripped down from the pro version. I'd have to reinstall it to remember exactly what it's missing, but I recall the debug menu only containing a tiny handful of items. It's definitely missing the ability to automatically break on exceptions, which is really annoying, and I don't remember if it has Watch or not.

OneEightHundred fucked around with this message at 08:03 on May 15, 2013

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Shalinor posted:

Arcade games are another sort that are designed to have no end.
Nah, most arcade games have an end so they can crank the difficulty through the roof in the final stages and drain the people that got that far by bringing a $20 bill and being willing to throw as many quarters at the game as it takes to win.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Shalinor posted:

They're more like arcade ports of console games, though.
Eh, this isn't really true either, arcade games tend to have a bunch of distinct aspects like giving the player extremely little control over pacing, almost no ability to recover from mistakes, and a distinct difficulty curve that goes up a lot after the first stage. You can't play something like Metal Slug and not tell that it was made for arcades.

quote:

Huh. What the hell do you call a classic arcade game at this point, that has morphed into endless-genre score driven games? The sort that was designed for arcade gaming first, and seldom had a home port, or if it did, it was terrible, as opposed to the reverse being more accurate? "Score attack" seems really dumb, but maybe that's the more accurate term currently?
I've always heard it called score attack.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Fangz posted:

You might as well say 'I want to win the lottery'.
You can't boost your lottery chances with bots posting fake reviews though.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

IMO the purple orbiting cubes should be changed, the fact that they're large and close interferes with the character silhouette. Maybe move them out, move them vertically, shrink them, or some combination?

It might also help to make the hat less symmetrical, i.e. bending the tip backwards, folding the brim up on one side, adding decorations to one side, etc. so those provide another visual cue to direction.

I'll second that just having the character's eyes be consistently visible would probably help more than anything though.

OneEightHundred fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Dec 30, 2017

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

BirdOfPlay posted:

Don't forgot that, by far, most mod teams are total amateurs in every sense of the word. I'm not saying that modders don't have talent or ability, but most don't know how to keep a project going and/or what level of work will be required. But, I could be biased from the few scrapped mods that I worked on in my youth.
They also suck at just deciding something's good enough and moving on. A lot of mod teams get it in their head that "oh this will be FUN to work on!" and just add work forever until oops, real life intruded and you lost some crucial team member, or oops, we've reworked the character models 8 times and the game is still barely playable because people are only working on the things that they enjoy working on instead of making doors work.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

chiefnewo posted:

Remember people are more likely to post when something annoys them than when something makes them happy. The happy ones are busy playing the game.
It's actually kind of the opposite in a weird way.

There was an interesting comment by Rich Hilleman, one of EA's higher-ups, at a UVA event. Video's here, article with some excerpts here:

quote:

We watch our forums a lot, because we care what our players have to say, and [on] some of those forums we're responsible for, one of the things we have learned—especially in the free-to-play space is [that] the people who spend the most time complaining happen to be the people who spent the most money. So my attitude is: "If you spend enough money with me, you get to complain." If that's what makes you happy is to go on the forums and complain, you get to complain.

The reason they're doing that is because they are establishing their place in the social hierarchy on the forum. It is not about our product—it's about their relationship to the other players. And if I get all twisted up based on what they're saying, I'm actually going to build a product they don't like.
I think there are other reasons, like the players that complain about everything are the players that know the game inside and out because they play a ton of it. If someone really isn't enjoying the game, then they'll usually just quietly leave.

That doesn't apply as much to feedback during development, but one thing is common with both: What people do is more important than what they say.

OneEightHundred fucked around with this message at 08:22 on May 24, 2018

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Elentor posted:

TLDR: I'm extremely suspicious of demos that are basically half a dozen models instanced ad nauseum. We've been through two decades of that never having any real application.
Based on some earlier work by Karis, it sounds like it's probably something based on geometry images, i.e. grid of vertex positions stored in a texture instead of an arbitrarily-connected mesh.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Clearly if it has a gigantic gun it should be shooting gigantic shells that detonate below the water, forcing you to then dodge the gigantic steam bubble.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Cross-posting here now that it's (mostly) out of beta...

I ported an old Mac game about flying a paper airplane that some of you might remember.
https://github.com/elasota/Aerofoil/releases/tag/1.0rc1

... including the level editor, and it has some tools for importing community content and extracting old StuffIt/Compact Pro archives.

Triarii posted:

On the other hand, Monster Hunter (the actual best game series) has a lot of monsters that would be tremendously harder if they spammed their best move on repeat. I think they make it work because the monsters blatantly aren't intelligent opponents that are playing optimally; they're angry animals that are thrashing around using whatever natural weapons and abilities are available to them.
Game "AI" in general is really about creating a performance, not any kind of intelligence. They're intentionally dumb.

I think the issue with the Marauder, aside from having about 50% too much health, is that the biggest part of that "performance" is they have some discernable logic to their behavior and the Marauder... when you encounter it, the game literally tells you how it behaves and how to beat it, and both are wrong. If you try to deadzone it, its random zippy movement will move it out of the deadzone and then it will do the things that it tells you it won't do if you deadzone it. It tells you not to keep it too far away or it will just snipe you, but you can dodge its projectiles and then it will get bored and charge in for a melee attack anyway.