Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

"That isn't the appropriate trash receptacle."
When Poemdexter was initially feeling this idea out I made some quick concept art to use as a base for the model:

As you can see, he captured the essence of the design and then went further than I ever could have imagined. It's humbling to be able to contribute in small ways to projects like this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

Mug: Is that scripted explicitly, or are you generating new rooms procedurally?

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

I think it's important to enjoy your work.

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

Crossposting an action GIF of my latest utterly impractical game idea:

other discussion.

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

Gromit posted:

Given how flame-retardant wool is, hopefully you'll make these guys the one thing you can't do that to.

Space-sheep, specially bred for their ability to grow gun-cotton fur instead of wool. You're welcome, Lucid.

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

Gonna chime in that Java is great for games, even without third party libraries like LibGDX. I've used it for tons of projects and I can knock prototypes together like nobody's business. It's never going to be "cool", but it's a drat good building material with excellent tooling, cross-platform support (from ancient dumbphones to ill-conceived microconsoles and every desktop platform between), extensive documentation and every library under the sun. If you're comfortable working with Java just keep doin' your thing.

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

Nition: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ei-rbULWoA

James Gosling posted:

Y'know, goto statements are really stupid.

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

We were thinking we might add a poncho and a cigar.

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

_jink posted:

roughed out some more concrete design to make into an actual game (maybe)

lots of screens like this:

that I art up

but the gameplay design is treading water as combat / platforming don't interest me as much as other things, and trying to design interesting systems that keep it from being little more then a visual novel or whatever is really hard!

Starting with a two-tone sketch and then going back with more color and detail is how I approach pixel art as well. Everything you've been posting looks really great- that little particle effect for dust in the beam of light is a lovely touch.

If you want some people to bounce gameplay ideas off of or get some coding tips from, you should check out the #SAGameDev channel on irc.synirc.net- we have a pretty nice crowd of folks with different skills to collaborate with. This has been my mandatory end-of-year IRC channel plug.

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

It's worth noting that if we're spergin' about code it is always OK to shift conversation to art or such. Many of us are interested in art, music and other topics or will at least provide oohs and ahhs in response to cool stuff people have made. I also have experience teaching literal children to program, so if you wish to strengthen your coding fundamentals we can help. Please don't let us scare you off too easily.

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

Or even just wait for the characters to be offscreen before you teleport (destroy) them. If you stand next to one they'll stay in place until you move, but that isn't actually a problem.

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

Even if you ripped out most of the libraries Unity offers, you'd still benefit from the deployment options, though- a fairly widespread browser plugin and standalone executables for a hell of a lot of platforms.

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

I've been slaving over a new Logo interpreter for an educational programming game I'm building. Today I implemented the first turtle graphics primitives:

Believe me when I say there's a hell of a lot more going on here than is readily apparent.

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

I'm with Unormal on this. Basic working-knowledge CLI git is extremely simple and will be the same on every OS and machine you find yourself sitting in front of. Just learn a couple of commands and you're on your way.

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

A bonus behind-the-scenes look at the art of Poemdexter's Voodoo:

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

A while back, I posted about an experiment called VectorLand. The core idea is that it's built on an ultralight VNC-like client with a heavyweight server that controls everything in the game and just hammers polygons across a socket. The original game required a small Java-based client, which limited the potential audience a bit. This afternoon I took a crack at writing my own WebSockets server, HTML5 client and modifying the game to work on the new infrastructure. It still seems to work surprisingly well, all things considered!

Special thanks to forums goons Mido and EntranceJew for the hosting:

http://mumble.valoryn.net:8082/vector.html
http://ejew.in/pub/vector.html

ASWD move, mouse aims, clicking shoots. First team to 5 flags wins the round.

If you're geographically far from the server, you may still get a pretty laggy experience. If so, I invite you to have a crack at running your own server:
https://github.com/JohnEarnest/VectorLand/tree/master/websockets

(Beware; it can chew up a LOT of bandwidth and CPU power.)

Internet Janitor fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Feb 6, 2014

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

Limerick posted:

Should I try Unity, or what? One of my goals is, after all, getting hired for freelance programming jobs, so doing everything the hard way might be the right choice, but I don't know maybe the human resources people like Unity too.

I would recommend using whatever tools make you the most happy and comfortable. If you're miserable or constantly frustrated, your little hobby side projects won't get anywhere. I think keeping your scope small and working up to gradually larger and more complex projects will have much more of an impact on your success than switching to a popular tool, language or framework. It's all about discipline, patience and recognizing how to play to your strengths and weaknesses.

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

xzzy posted:

I want someone to come out with a game where "vector art" means it's loving vector art, as in the game is calculating splines and curves in real time. None of these "we rendered it to a texture" shortcuts.

So does my VectorLand thing not count because it's straight line segments instead of splines?

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

After a long afternoon of making dumb mistakes and overcomplicating stuff, I have succeeded in writing a simple LWJGL-based OBJ model viewer. Behold a procession of my failures:

And now I can start playing with my original goal: making low-rez textures for robots!

Props to Mido for the sweet models I've been using for testing.

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

Sethmaster: Um, how does this actually come into play in the game?

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

In my opinion facebook/twitter/etc. integration is pretty tacky most of the time, and it will date your game pretty badly within a short timespan. I am reminded of the "tweet this" button in Superbrothers: Sword and Sorcery and how much it tore me out of the atmosphere of the game. Social media and file hosting websites vary rapidly in popularity, and even if Unity abstracts some of the changes in third-party APIs you will need to stay on top of those trends. Making it very easy to share gameplay videos with minimal editing means you might get a little bit of free viral advertising, but for the same reason it means there will be a lot of low-quality footage of your game online. I'm not convinced the benefits are worth the effort and the hazards.

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

My new puzzle game is coming along.

It's nice to finally start seeing stuff move around on the screen.

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

MDickie's "Hard Time"? :v:

I dig the sprites but I'm a little confused by the tables- they seem to be using a different perspective than the walls. Floor reflections are a neat touch.

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

I think this sounds like a compelling concept.

Common enemies of janitors include but are not limited to:
  • gum on the undersides of desks, chairs, benches, etc.
  • birds and squirrels who have found their way inside.
  • people who think it is funny to carve penises into the walls of restrooms.
  • people who do not understand how to operate urinals properly.
  • poorly-grounded electrical outlets.
  • boobytrapped and/or dangerously overfilled trash receptacles.

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

Let's summarize that further into one point: Looking good is a matter of aesthetic consistency, not complexity. Look at your graphics, palette and animation as a unified whole and make sure they work well together.

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

Corbeau: Looking at that screenshot I am vaguely reminded of an old mac game, Armor Alley.

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

For recording gifs I use LICEcap, which is available for both OSX and Windows.

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

Slowly fleshing out more parts of my game. There will be a number of different kinds of puzzles to solve, each with their own rules and variations.
For starters, a mode I call "Turtle Trails", which is essentially like the Tron lightcycle game except with turtles:

In the game you'll mostly play Turtle Trails against pre-made opponents but it'll be pretty easy to add a sandbox mode too.

edit: also BUGS:

Internet Janitor fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Apr 6, 2014

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

I would guess that video tutorials are prevalent because you can record one much more quickly and easily than you could compose a written tutorial, not because people think they're higher quality. Additionally if you're relying heavily on GUI-based tools it is extremely tedious and difficult to describe what to do step-by-step in text without resorting to lots of screenshots.

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

You should call it "Cubicle Dismount".

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

Literary interpretation / reading comprehension puzzles. I love the concept.

What do you envision being the rewards for solving such a puzzle? I don't know if you're trying to avoid combat as part of existing in a "realistic" setting, but this can pose a lot of design challenges. Typically when a game has a combat system it immediately justifies the inclusion of lots of goodies like health restoring items, temporary buffs, ammunition, better weapons, etc. In a more thoughtful game strictly about exploration you have to get much more creative.

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

Worked on some graphics and tileset handling code today.

I'm still figuring out the style I want to use for background art. This is kinda all over the place.

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

It's just straight-up Java, using a custom engine.

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

A first pass at some simple environmental effects.

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

It is, however, fairly easy to make sure your pixel alignment is right. Render your game in real pixels to a framebuffer/texture, and then only at the last possible moment nearest-neighbor upscale that buffer to the target screen resolution. You'll need to make sure this is a whole-number upscale, so your original framebuffer will need to be adjusted to match the aspect ratio of the target screen and/or you may choose to letterbox it to some extent.

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

Put together the scripting system for dialogues today.

Needs some juice, but I think it's a good start.

code:
register("girl", new Sprite(Sprite.Mode.Single, 166, 160, 20)
	.add("stand"  , Resources.girl[0], 0, 1)
	.add("ask"    , Resources.girl[1], 0, 1)
	.add("eyeroll", Resources.girl[2], 0, 1)
);

beginScript(new Script()
	.speaker("girl")
	.anim("ask")
	.say(-50, 40, "Wait, are we rolling?")
	.anim("eyeroll")
	.say(-70, 50, "OK, Geez-\nwarn me next time!")
	.anim("ask")
	.say(-50, 40, "Should we do\nthe `puzzle now?")
	.ifTarget("puzzle", new Script()
		.say(-50, 60, "You got it!")
		.goTo(new GolfCoursePuzzle1())
	)
	.anim("eyeroll")
	.say(-70, 50, "Fine, your loss.")
	.anim("stand")
);
Now I need to do a lot of animating.

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

The Stone of Wisdom.

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

Tummyache: Just gonna chime in that your new models look fantastic. I think you're really getting the hang of this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

Further evidence that Kirby Super Star had the most creative bosses:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qEIDmPvTB20