Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only

JamieTheD posted:

And, of course, there's good ol' AGS, which is relatively uncomplicated, and can handle GUI elements like textboxes just fine.

I'm always amazed that AGS is not only still around, but has come so far from it's DOS days of being a Sierra/LucasArts engine clone. even back then it was pretty easy to use.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only

My workspace has been dominated by this stuff for the past 2-3 weeks. I threw my list out after a point because the priority for what needs made keeps changing. Hopefully it'll be worth it though.

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only

Progress towards getting demo ready by the 20th. Amazed we've even made it this far in just shy of a month's amount of time.

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only

Since the current work for the OutQuest public demo is winding down, I got the okay to make a vertical scrolling shooter for our quick, 3-4 month dev-cycle game. currently bashing out ideas for the player ship. the two elements I was given to work with is 'travelling in a black hole' and 'customizable', so the ship's designed around replacing parts of it, namely the wings and front spear. Not sure if it's sillouette is quite right just yet. Any suggestions?

Diabetes Forecast fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Apr 30, 2015

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only

Zaphod42 posted:

Why does a ship have a spear anyhow? Is it like some kinda cowboy bebop laser cannon?

Honestly I think it'd look cooler if you reversed it and turned the "spear" into an engine thrust cone.

I like the asymmetry.

The spear won't always necessarily be a spear, there's plans to have beam cannons, crescent beams, all sorts of things that can replace it. It's just the basic front mount, it works well for the idea of piercing into an environment that isn't normally safe to go into. I suppose to give the sense of spreading the forces of gravity in the black hole away from the ship? Something like that.
But yeah, I could add thrusters along the edges of it and the other addons. That's something I hadn't thought of. Good call on that!

As for the assymetry... both wings can be changed independently of each other, either by power ups or picked at the start of the game if they've been acquired in previous playthroughs. So the player can definitely have symmetrical wings if they want, but it's not really necessary. (and in some ways, having two of the same may not be as benificial)

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Could be some kind of ramming spike. That's always fun. Trade range for the ability to damage enemies on a front collision rather than having them damage you. Also you could set up a graphical effect for shearing an enemy ship in half when you fly right through them with it, which would be really satisfying.

I like the idea of the ship being modular though, since it would make each powerup feel more substantial when not only does it give you some new attack option, but you can see the difference it makes to the shape of your ship just by equipping it.

I'm honestly not sure how feasible making the point actually damage things would be, but it could probably work similiar to Batrider/Bakkraid's damage flash aka 'tickle beam' that appears when you stop firing in those games. the spear has little machine gun ports on it for actually firing. I'll keep the rest in mind though.

rough draft of the ship's sprite in about 15-20 minutes. colors are a bit on the iffy side, but it's getting there.

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only

FraudulentEconomics posted:

Your ship looks a LOT like Spike's Swordfish ship from Cowboy Bebop. It looks good, but maybe consider another color palette if you don't want to risk people associating it.

Yeah, probably best to go with a bluish tone for the grays then, rather than reds. I'll get on that in a bit.

Police Automaton posted:

The colors seem off to me, there needs to be more contrast. I also have the problem on choosing the right palette and it's more difficult than it sounds like when you don't try to make simple cartoon-y stuff. Also did you notice the void around the ship is a very faint purple or did that screen calibration I did go very wrong?

yeah, I've been constantly playing with the contrast and tone since I did the first version. Before it was WAY worse. And yes, palette is pretty hard to make work for something as important as what you play as, ESPECIALLY at 32x32. It has to almost stick out like a sore thumb. That's part of why the cockpit specifically is so bright and gaudy. Being the hitbox, that's the most important part of the whole ship.
I kinda don't care so long as the background is dark, so I just slapped whatever color there, haha. most of the game is gonna be in dark backgrounds, so it's important that I create it with that in mind. I'm not sure on what the tint of the background will be for it all though, may stick with straight grays to make the backgrounds easily recolorable for stage transitions, as there's pretty much only two backgrounds intended for the whole game with a few extras for differentiation.
In general, the graphical choices will be something similiar to this (though with MUCH more enemy variety) as well as other 68k games.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q70d2-wxiZk

Edit: better?

Diabetes Forecast fucked around with this message at 17:45 on May 1, 2015

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only
dammit now I can't not see the wizard thing as I started animating rotation. well it's not a big deal, I guess?

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6tWWu8NtpYk

Work on the public demo of OutQuest is winding down, so i figured I'd toss this here so we can get some critique on our work so far. (check it out here if you want)

Now if only I didn't hate writing design documents, the shooter thing would be progressing a bit faster, haha. (please kill me)

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only
I'm starting to seriously think that OutQuest was a bad idea and nobody's gonna want it. Which sucks, because we've fed about 30k into it and nobody's paying attention to it. What's worse is we're gonna need to pony up another 30k somehow to finish it, so... all this work for a public demo release for nothing I guess?
I dunno, the more I think about it, the more I feel like that year and a half was a waste of my time, no matter how hard we worked to make things happen.

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only

Shalinor posted:

It's just super unpolished. The UI / UI art needs to be overhauled entirely, and you need to reconsider the camer angle and zoom in the combat, ditch that awful hard edged toon shader, work on making the arenas more interesting, and just generally add a ton of polish to all of that. It looks very much like a project that's only half complete / very programmer-driven.

The bright side is, nothing about your 3D assets is bad. They aren't amazing, but they'll do. It's everything 2D that needs massive work.

Finally, as to why no one cares... well, I mean look at what you've got objectively. It looks like a lackluster turn-based game. There's no apparent hook, just "yup that's a turn-based tactical game skeleton." Why should I care about that when ENEMY is available, and I mean, hell... even ENEMY isn't doing all that grand. Look at the number of reviews on Steam. (EDIT: not to say ENEMY is doing poorly, just that it isn't leaping off the shelves despite having a way more compelling hook)

I really wish the guy in charge of UI had looked at Armored Core and condensed the gently caress out of everything. We're wasting so much screen space on things that aren't the robot and the character.
And for that matter, I wanna strangle the programmer every time for deciding that the models and everything need lighting. I designed all the assets with flat shading in mind, but of course every time i brought it up he said 'that would look ugly'. After awhile I threw my hands up in the air because he was just not going to change it.
But really, all I've done is graphics for environments, weapons, and some robot stuff. I really wish I had more knowledge of what was going into the rest, but the rest isn't what I was paid to do.

What we've been doing is polishing the combat off to the point it's quick and easy to get through. To put it in a way that makes sense, the combat is just one part of the game as a whole. What we've been planning is to have a big world building thing, dungeon crawling, and then this would be like... the RPG battle system sorta deal, like how old final fantasy has the combat separated off. Unfortunately We've not even begun on the rest, and that's the worrying part. this is only 1/3 of the core game, right? But the response is definitely not good. It atleast flows well by the point the player reaches the combat, fights end in like 1-4 minutes usually. But all the rest of this alpha is a clusterfuck.

Diabetes Forecast fucked around with this message at 00:24 on May 9, 2015

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only
It's not that it'll be feature creep, so much as the dungeon stuff (according to the programmer) needs to be 'sofisticated'. I WAS building up a set of graphics that could be built upon in a grid, but apparently that's not what they want???
The world building would just be like, a world map that Visual Novel style conversations and other things would take place on. It's never been planned to be terribly interactive like the rest is. The Dungeon Crawling would be the most traditional thing of the whole ordeal, playing out somewhat similiar to to Kings Field style dungeons, or the 'rpg' section of Misadventures of Tron Bonne. The only difference being touching an enemy or being spotted by them would lead to the turn based combat.

Diabetes Forecast fucked around with this message at 00:56 on May 9, 2015

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only
Armored core atleast has things segregated to one side of the screen is the graphical robot stuff and pertinent information, and the other side is for changing different parts and options for customizing. it's certainly not the best, but it's atleast better than a whole screen full of what the gently caress.

E:
It's... I dunno, it's an RPG. You have a main character you create, you're in the game's world to solve the issues of a Settlement within a time limit. You do things to help the various people on the planet, fight off criminals and monsters, and other various things. You have robots in a squad that you customize, buy new parts for, and all that jazz. If you don't succeed to deal with the major issues in time, something bad happens and you get a game over.
That's pretty much it.

Diabetes Forecast fucked around with this message at 00:55 on May 9, 2015

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only
Because my boss wanted to guage reaction of the combat. I really have no idea, his main skill seems to be getting people hyped up and getting us money to keep moving forward.
This isn't even the sort of game I would want to make. I'm all about arcade games (which I atleast convinced them to let me make something I'd enjoy.)

Diabetes Forecast fucked around with this message at 01:28 on May 9, 2015

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only
Yes. he actually does allow me alot of freedom, suprisingly enough. To put this in perspective, our skype conversations with the team have the subject of 'Mercenary Babies' permanently banned because we couldn't shut up about them.
We're kind of a bunch of goofy adult children, sadly. I don't know how the hell we've made it this far at all. Boss is just good at planning and keeping things in line, I guess!

Diabetes Forecast fucked around with this message at 01:35 on May 9, 2015

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only
he didn't make it. our writer/stats guy did, which he admitted himself it wasn't very good. (it was made in like 3 hours so we'd have something for the public alpha release and coincide with the convention stuff) I'm looking into making a better video either myself or getting one of the other art guys to help.

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only
What resume

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only
Redesigning the combat interface stuff for OutQuest. Is this more readable? The intention is most of this won't be shown unless a unit is selected. compacted energy and health bars will be shown for units not selected.

Diabetes Forecast fucked around with this message at 18:51 on May 19, 2015

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only
can't do that until changes to the camera are finalized. I'll be doing proper draw-overs once that's settled.

E: nevermind I'm dumb, apparently it's mostly finalized while I was asleep! I'll get on that after I get home.

Diabetes Forecast fucked around with this message at 19:41 on May 19, 2015

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only
Use GraphicsGale.

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only
that scrolling shooter thing's pretty much become my little side project since the boss found that scrolling shooters really don't generate money, so been on/off loving around with the player ship thing whenever I'm bored.

need to do another set of parts then i can start playing with other things.

Who knows, maybe I'll actually finish something for once!

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only
I think most of what draws in folks to shooters isn't so much the detail you put into the graphics as it is the complexity of the things you fight. if there's been one constant in the genre, it's that the bosses get to this point of being huge messes of moving, transforming abominations that tear apart in pieces. Most western games shy far away from that. Even Jamestown, for how pretty it is, doesn't really go that route, instead opting for graphical bricks. It's mostly because that stuff is hard to make... up until the past 2 years though! now with Spriter, Unity, and whatever other wild ways you can take, you can make complex things with considerably less fuss. As long as you show that off, you can draw people in.

Problem is, the market for these games is considerably smaller than one would think. That amount gets smaller because the games keep getting harder to draw in the hardcore crowd, alienating anyone else and leaving the public to think that now all of them are like that. It's kinda killed itself through it's own evolution.

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Cool bullet patterns aren't that hard to make if you design your system right. Hell, there's a markup language (BulletML) for describing bullet patterns that I once wrote an implementation of. I don't think I'd necessarily recommend going that route because it constrains you to the abilities encoded in the markup language (and implementations are/were scarce so you'd probably have to roll your own, a nontrivial exercise). But generally bullet patterns consist of loops, timers, spawners, and size/direction/speed indicators. Nesting those appropriately can get you some very intricate patterns.

I really am not about that bullet pattern eye-candy. I mean yeah, some of my favorite games would probably fall into that realm of 'bullet hell' but it's despite that rather than because of that.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-sjOcefXCcI

This is the sort of thing I'd like to achieve with the boss design. it's not even graphically hard, it's mostly static sections linked together in a chain to create complex structures. The thing that's annoying is the chaining them together really, but even the hardest bits of that can be done by a non-programmer now. that's mostly what I was referring to.

Diabetes Forecast fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Jul 24, 2015

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only
Yeah okay I said gently caress it to that other shooter because I got a shot at making the game I've always wanted to make, SPACE PANZER. I wasn't even doing that one for my own interest, it was something slapped together for my boss, so...
Anyway.

Test graphics I slung over a screenshot of Thunder Force 4. that walker will probably be used as is, albeit with palette tweaking of some sort.

It's also alot easier for me to visualize and build stuff for this, since I've had a year to let the idea build up and drew a few things out for it beforehand. Just gotta write out the rest of the documents to make sure that everyone involved knows what's gotta be done and everything will go smoothly.

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only

Spriter is FUN. I'm gonna have lots of fun building stuff for this!

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only

Shoehead posted:

Spriter seems like its perfect for Cybernator style mechs.

Oh man, that would be my biggest dream! After I get all this other stuff done I'd definitely like to try that!

I think the only thing I don't know is whether or not the program has frame blending between animations. If it does I'd be able to do all sorts of exciting things with it. (If i can, I can set damage and destruction states, shot fire jiggle, and a bunch of things in the animations themselves rather than having the programmer do all that stuff.)

OtspIII posted:

How intense is Spriter, especially in comparison to Unity's built in animation stuff? Are they largely the same thing, or does Spriter do a bunch of stuff Unity doesn't?

Spriter's a different beast entirely, allowing you to animate with frame easing through sections or bones, moving and rotating and scaling them all independently in the animation itself. it also allows you to set audio triggers, parrent and unparrent, and all sorts of stuff. The only problem i really have is some parts are bit vaguely documented, or just not documented at all, like whether or not you can blend multiple animations together.

Diabetes Forecast fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Jan 16, 2016

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only

One thing Unity has over Spriter is the ability to set a "shoot at" point or whatever it's officially called. If you want to do a free-aiming thing with Spriter, you have to set the animation blending to be some wonky equation relating to where the mouse is as compared to the sprite itself and :argh:

Wouldn't that be a fairly easy workaround though? you'd just take the arm/gun whatever, animate the frames in Spriter, export and then attach it to the rest during runtime. I mean, that makes sense, right?

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only

It's extremely hamfisted to do it like that, plus IIRC the Unity version allows for inverse kinematics when it comes to where you're aiming at, versus having pre-baked animations you've got to utilize.

That is something I'll have to try doing though, in terms of Construct 2 it sounds like I could put the arm into a container of the torso. Then it'd just match the animations, but have a specific "isShooting" boolean or something to let the shooting arm know when it needs to extend and not pump. I'll have to mess with that once things slow down with work and classes.
In hindsight, I kinda realized you don't have to pre-render the frames at all, just attach another spriter object. But yeah it's a bit weird. I don't think I'll need to do anything super complicated in that goes beyond that workaround. (that I know of atleast.)

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only

I guess this will be all the frames I need for this enemy. just waiting on my friend to finish the Panzer IV model for rotoscoping (and i should do some background elements soon too.)

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only
So, I'm trying to figure out something in Unity that's a bit on the odd side.

Me and the programmer have been trying to figure out which method would work best for an auto-scrolling shooter: move the level, or move the camera. The problem is, we've got a Rayforce style background target lock mechanic going on, and I can't really decide which would make more sense to have. Since some patterns would really NEED to be linked to the camera's plane, so we can have enemies that actually have paths that circle around a play area, or hang out on screen for awhile. But therein lies the problem: some enemies that come in to the background have to be linked to the play area. I'm trying to figure a way around us having to have both of these setups going at the same time. The camera movement method means re-timing the level becomes a huge chore if something needs re-synced during testing. But the other method means that some things are gonna be weird to reposition when the game's running, such as active background objects and such with the whole background area being shifted.

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only

AntiPseudonym posted:

Move the camera move the camera move the camera

Moving the world just ends up causing a huge amount of problems in my experience, since rather than a couple of moving pieces you've suddenly got everything - 1 moving pieces.

If you want things to move with the camera, I'd recommend having an empty gameobject that lies in the plane of the play-space but is locked to the camera, so you can just parent things to that and they'll be effectively in screen-space.

yeahhh, we kinda came to this conclusion tonight after talking about it too. there's no reason not to do this beyond some parts looping endlessly until something triggers the next part, and even that can be worked around.

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only

pffffft
I'm going to admit to the fact that this is a super easy fix (always set a default pivot point on your objects in spriter, ALWAYS) but I couldn't help but find it funny.

E:
there we go, much better!

I wonder how many people will get what this thing is a homage to?

Diabetes Forecast fucked around with this message at 11:08 on Jan 23, 2016

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only

Shoehead posted:

You keep making me want to pixel mobile suits!

Are you making something with this guy?

He's a bigger mid-boss sort of enemy for a scrolling shooter, which would show up later on as a regular enemy. It has a port on top for bigger gun attachments and other stuff I'll add later. Though granted, he's a pretty shameless homage to Heavy Ducker from Gradius Gaiden.
The game's name is gonna be SPACE PANZER. It's literally about WW2 never happening, and instead the Axis and Allies joining forces with alien rebels to destroy the CORE OVERLORD who's a BIG MEAN GUY controlling the home planet of the aliens!
It's mostly an excuse for me to make the sort of game I've wanted since I was like... 12, but I'm only just recently skilled enough to really make it happen. I don't think i'll ever explain how this idea came to be. It would be too embarrasing!

Diabetes Forecast fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Jan 23, 2016

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only
It's actually not even that big of a deal. A friend of mine wanted a goofy intro for his World of Tanks videos, so I decided to make the Thunder Force 4 opening, but with tanks. I figured that would be pretty cool, yeah?

I made this to replace the Rynex, rotoscoping the Maus model to get the frames I wanted. It was such a fun little project that I took the idea of flying space tanks a little too seriously.
That was like... about a year and a half ago? It was only last month that I found a super competent programmer that took interest in helping out with this. Before that it was totally shelved.
All the player sprites and some of the bigger things are planned to be rotoscoped, since tanks are PRETTY COMPLICATED. Already have the SPACE SHERMAN model since a friend got REALLY excited and wanted to help out.

Hopefully he'll be up for the rest. If not, I'll just have to make them myself. (though I'm dreading the SUPER CARRIER YAMATO with a pair of US aircraft carriers strapped to the sides of it.)

Diabetes Forecast fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Jan 23, 2016

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only

Nude posted:

Have any neat ideas for power ups or will it be more of the bullet hell/dodge shooter?

The powerup system is a mixed setup. we're gonna have Ketsui's whole GET CLOSER TO ENEMIES TO SCORE BETTER, but attaching an exp system onto it. The player can get a max of 4 powerup items that are more or less temporary, but the meat of this is gaining levels from 'research points' gained from killing enemies and getting close enough to gain a better multiplier. each time the player dies or gains a level, the powerup items are reset, but each time this happens the ship gets significantly stronger. Ignoring this system would probably gimp the player later in, but that's the point of learning to get better!
Each of the selectable tanks are going to have a different gimmick, so leveling and powering up helps to that effect.

Really, the hardest I ever want this getting is pretty much Gradius or R-type. I've never been all that thrilled with true full-on Bullet hell. I think it's an obtuse way to artificially lengthen a game by setting an arbitrary skill cieling.
The eventual goal graphically is to mix 3D and 2D elements to make something very akin to the Playstation era. i always felt like the genre hit it's highest point along that time, and I really want to continue that progression of extravagantly designed backgrounds and enemy encounters.

Diabetes Forecast fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Jan 23, 2016

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only
Ehh, it doesn't give me the level of control I'd want. besides, the size of the player sprites are gonna be like this:

It wouldn't really afford me that much of an advantage to do that. (especially since I'm trying to mark the hitbox area very specific and easy to understand.)
Now for some of the OTHER things I have planned... well, we'll see!

Diabetes Forecast fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Jan 23, 2016

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only

Lork posted:

"Bullet Hell" is a different style of gameplay, not a measure of difficulty. Yes, there are a lot of bullets on the screen, which can be intimidating, but they tend to move much slower than they do in "traditional" shooters, giving you a lot more time to plan and react. Difficulty can be as high or low as desired, but the bullet hell games I've played have tended to be a lot less frustrating than, say, Thunder Force or Einhander, because they at least give me enough time to see and understand what killed me, rather than forcing me to memorize the whole stage or suffer instant death. It might help to do some more research into the styles and conventions of the genre if you're going to be making a game in it.

I've been playing these games for years, I know the differences quite well. Some of my favorite games fall into that category. (Ketsui, Armed Police Batrider, Eschatos) I'm just really bad at them! It's the CAVE mentality that I find awful, IE throwing hundreds, if not thousands of things on screen to overwhelm the player. I always preferred Gradius style progression over that, because it's a bit looser and easier to manage. R-Type was a bit TOO strict, but it's still easy enough. (For me, maybe not everyone else.) I'm mostly making a game I would personally enjoy playing the most, and I'm hoping others will too.

Diabetes Forecast fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Jan 23, 2016

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only

I am insanely proud of how this is turning out. I can't wait to animate the guns and other poo poo on it. (and pain/death states)

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only

Since my friend got the Pz.IV model done i'm making a few frames for testing. Only half are done haha. Turret and Body are on separate layers to allow for animations independent of each other, IE aiming and firing at something in the background.
The best part about having models for things is later when I make the 'box art' I can lay out the scene in 3D and then build up the illustration from there. there's a few parts for the intro and other stuff that will get lots of benefits from this methodology.

Diabetes Forecast fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Feb 6, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only

hitboxes are great, though I only intended those to collide with the player's death box. still funny haha.