Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Please remind me to draw more often.
Soiled Meat

Nition posted:

It also looks to have pretty passable driving physics already. I just wanted to mention it because no-one seems to really know about it at the moment but IMO it looks brilliant.

This is like Kerbal Space Program for raggare. This /is/ brilliant. It would be a perfect basis for an Interstate '76 reboot. Especially if most of I76's gun-mounting was done away with, because the combat sucked, it was the driving and the style that made the game so good (and the music!).

I wonder if this Finnish guy could incorporate some manner of a Rigs of Rods body and frame physics into the game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Soiled Meat

Shoehead posted:

I managed to fix most of the shittier bugs and had some fun making maps!

Making maps is literally why I'm making this game btw :3:

This is looking good! Your art has come up bigtime.

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Soiled Meat

Mr Underhill posted:

At the moment I'm seeing decent blacks and overall values but I really have no idea whether you guys are seeing what I want (nice blacks, hazy evening atmosphere but not exaggerated darkness) or or it's just my stupid monitors lying to my face.

That art reads quite well, it looks great. What you need to do is buy a quality monitor and a colour calibration chart. Calibrate the monitor and ideally run it alongside your cintiq so that you can reference as art is made.

To be honest, you don't even need that good of a rig. Get a half decent refurbished monitor (it's amazing what a hundred bucks can buy these days) and run it through Windows Display Calibration. It might only get you to 90% perfection, but frankly that's gonna be way ahead of what most users will be viewing your game on.

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Soiled Meat

Fishbus posted:

Yeah, same with sound. Trying to simply explain to audio designers the same principle makes them sneer with disgust. Always build to the worst situation/setup in mind, then it can only improve from there. You can also go on to argue about catering to the largest market share, etc.

It's like the part in 24 Hour Party People where they listen to the Joy Division demo tape in the car. Someone starts to object and someone else (I think Tony) says they need to know how it sounds on AM radios. I loved that bit in the film.

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Soiled Meat

Stick100 posted:

FYI Today 12/16/14 and today only Allegorithmic is having a pretty massive sale.

Substance painter $49 instead of $149, Indie pack $125 instead of $250.

DRM Free:
http://www.allegorithmic.com/buy

Steam:
http://store.steampowered.com/app/273390/

They claim it will be a long time before it comes again.

This is tempting. I've wanted to learn 3d texturing for a long time now. I can do basic polygon modeling and being able to texture would open up the range of games I can work on.

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Soiled Meat
The NES palette is rubbish and we need to recognize this and move forward as a society.

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Soiled Meat
It's a christmas miracle! I thought I was gonna get dogpiled with flame posts for speaking ill of the NES. Then again this is SA and we are Cool and Good and are better than fanboy-ism. Most of the time...

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Soiled Meat

Nition posted:

So yesterday I learnt that Bethesda made a 3D open-world game with a 150km^2 (60 square miles) map that had a big chunk of LA, cars that you can steal and drive, shops you can buy or steal from, weapons etc... in 1990. 11 years before the first 3D GTA. Written entirely in Assembly. With the Terminator licence.

The Terminator.

Woah! I never knew about this game! I thought Terminator 2029 was the first PC Terminator game (from Bethesda too). 2029 used what seems to be a re-purposed fantasy RPG engine like the sort you'd find in Wizardry. So you move within a grid from a first-person perspective and can only turn along 90 degree increments. You had a targeting reticle that was mouse controlled. It looked quite good for its day.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xv28Te6oA1I

This older Terminator game though, wow that seems impressive for what they were attempting. The premise would be great today as well. 'Here's your open world, here's your target, track it down and defeat it by any means possible'.

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Soiled Meat

Shalinor posted:

... and they both made literal millions.

This is one of those things that you'd wish would matter to consumers, but it doesn't, and thus: the flood of pixel art games that don't really care about "good" pixel art, bought by people who are perfectly happy with the result.

I groan at this yet it is so true. Terraria has such low-rent art, but I feel like the sheer volume of assets, plus the ability for the community to make similar quality mods helped propel them. That said I know pixel artists who put me to shame so I guess every level is only relative.

In the end I feel like people who appreciate visual craft will gravitate towards well crafted visuals, and one should firstly consider if the aesthetic is something they want to create and does it look unified.

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Soiled Meat

Unormal posted:

Wall upgrade.

I loooove this art! It would be really fun to do a sci fi sprite set in this style.

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Soiled Meat
Is there any kind of automated sale tracker for professional software? I've been wanting to learn ZBrush for quite a while but I don't currently earn any money from 3D concept design. Sinking $800 bucks into a flight of fancy doesn't seem like a great idea right now. I know that some pro tools will have flash sales or promos and getting an email reminder about something that pops up in the future might just get me to shell out some bucks for Zbrush.

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Soiled Meat
Yeah I saw cgriver and it didn't really fill me with confidence. I guess I need to hustle for some surplus cash to save up for Zbrush. I was gonna buy it in the mid 2000's as a student but held off because at that time it wasn't so clear it would become the industry standard it is now.

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Soiled Meat
Maybe the higher priced quotes are coming from people expecting you to haggle them down? Complete guess on my part but Canadians and Swedes in my experience don't really like haggling.
What kind of assets are you looking for?

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Soiled Meat

KRILLIN IN THE NAME posted:

Still needs some work, but here it is so far;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGZx8VoEI7c

Gold. Holy poo poo this is funny. I think this is going to be the new benchmark for testing if people have a sense of humour similar to mine.

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Soiled Meat
I gotta post this asap. The burn against TotalBiscuit at the end is a wonderful touch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Soiled Meat

WaterIsPoison posted:

I screenshot'ed my saturday

I like seeing this. I hope you post more progress!