Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

I'm actually considering downloading Epic's UDK to play about with it and see if I can create anything with it. I think my skills mostly lie within map making - I've toyed about with Hammer, but found it rather limited toward Source based games.

Either way one of the biggest problems I have is that I'm absolutely terrible at art. Given time I could probably create textures and such, but when it comes to hand drawn art I'm useless and this means I have a hell of a time trying to convey my ideas. Hence why I look more toward map design, since that only really requires a good hand at drawing mazes and architecture, which I'm a bit more confident at than drawing monsters.

Has anyone tried the UDK before?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Mug posted:

Okay, I'm gonna make the 2nd post all about "technologies" with a bit of a writeup on each one for someone who's never used them before and needs to make a decision about whether it's right for them.

Anyone wanna throw some words together about Unity, Multimedia Fusion, Game Maker, Unreal Engine, Source, whatever people use Flash/Actionscript for and anything else?

I'll give some feedback on things I've used in a couple of minutes.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

I'll just do some advantages and disadvantages on stuff I've used:

Hammer map editor(part of Source SDK)
Advantages
  • Fairly easy to learn and use.
  • Has an in depth tutorial and wiki and once you get the basic idea it doesn't take long to create the foundations for a map.
  • Has a fairly extensive resource library incorporating all of Source based games.
  • Friendly enough UI that's quick to learn.
Disadvantages
  • Is starting to age compare to other SDK's. Terrain editor is fairly limited and is rarely used for creating anything other than TF2 maps.
  • Absolutely hates leakage and doesn't help much finding it. Got a gap leading into empty space? Hammer won't let you proceed until you fill it.
  • Creating a skybox and background structure can be a fiddly process.
  • Used to crash quite often - particularly if you're doing something complex - although I think that's mostly been resolved.

Unity
Advantages
  • Fairly easy to use.
  • Has a massive amount of support for the implementation of different filetypes.
  • Well known and used within the indie scene means there's a good amount of resources on it.
  • Versatile in what you can make on it (from something really simple to a complex full featured game)
Disadvantages
  • Easy to use, difficult to master.
  • GUI takes a while to get used to.
  • I personally found their tutorials to be rather vague and unhelpful, although it makes up for this by having a good amount of resources elsewhere (including walkthrough guides for making pre-set game ideas.)
  • I also found it rather overwhelming. It feels like you need a dedicated team to do anything on it.

Source Filmmaker
Advantages
  • Very powerful animation designer for the development of films using the TF2 resources.
  • Clever and simple to use UI with a varied amount of options in recording.
  • Easy to learn
  • Dedicated resources and wiki.
Disadvantages
  • Lip sync options can have mixed results and requires the patience of a saint to get right.
  • Limited to TF2 (and some Source) resources currently.
  • You can completely gently caress up what you're doing within it and not be able to revert, hence why you need to save repeatedly when using it.
  • Can crash rather frequently.

Communist Bear fucked around with this message at 11:50 on Sep 14, 2012

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Mug posted:

Is Source Film Maker related to making games? I thought it just rendered to video?

Yeah actually, sorry. I thought I'd add it in just in case! :)

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Mug posted:

I've never touched it so I wouldn't know. What's Hammer SDK? Do you mean the Source SDK? I thought Hammer was the map editor for Source. Is that not the case anymore? I haven't played with anything Source before, Hammer was the Half-life 1 map editor I remember.

Hammer is the map editor. I think the full thing is Source SDK, which incorporates the editor, the face editor and resource stuff. I used Hammer more than anything else.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

I want to bulk up my portfolio because I've already got the degree (Computing - Software Engineering) but I have real trouble trying to figure out where to start. Either my ideas are too huge, or I feel overwhelmed whenever I look at the program (ie Unity).

As stupid as my problem might sound, can anyone help? Should I just start off with small art-based 2d things (even if I absolutely suck at art)? Or should I concentrate on specific area - ie map design?

I need help finding my feet so I can make stuff. I reckon If I can develop a few individual projects before the end of the year I might have more luck getting employed within the games industry.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Unity's terrain editor uses height maps for its creation. Does that mean I could use a custom height map - ala from a real place - in order to create my terrain?

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

So after looking at a couple of video tutorials and learning the basics a bit more(Unity websites tutorials are useless. 3D Buzz is amazingly helpful) i've taken my first steps toward making my own map using Unity:

Not much at the moment mind. The empty sections to the left and right are going to contain building models (presuming I can find an apartment prefab) and the general middle area is where the player will go.

I'm referring to a map I drew with pencil and paper.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Derp, how the hell do I get tree colliders to work?