Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

xzzy posted:

Firespam, get it, its a play on fireman!

I like it. Or just "Fireman", which is itself ironic (a la Fahrenheit 451).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

Triarii posted:

If it helps, the fiction is that you're not playing as the same pyromancer the whole time. Your guy dies at the end of each run and you start as a new person next time. See, all of the other schools of wizardry are talkin poo poo about pyromancy, saying it's wild and unreliable and you'd have to be an idiot to learn it. So the Guild of Pyromancers has opened up recruiting and is giving each new apprentice the equivalent of a magical bazooka before sending them out into the world to "prove the true power of pyromancy" (blissfully unaware that they're setting half the world on fire and proving everyone's point, of course). The gold you collect on each run goes to improvements for the guild, which is how the next apprentice is more powerful than the last one.

So technically the more accurate title would be Guild of Irresponsible Pyromancers.

Order of the Phoenix

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

Hello thread. I've been mostly lurking here for awhile. I quit my day job (software developer) 3 months ago to try my hand at building a word puzzle game I've wanted to make for a few years. Lots of inspiration from this thread. I don't have high hopes for making money in the mobile marketplace but I figure I'll give it my best shot and I have a prototype that I think is compelling.

Actual content: I'd like to monetize the game by making level packs, which consist of a little bit of string data along with a few textures. Unity seems to have a system for managing IAP, but I don't know how to get started making modules that can be downloaded. I could also conceivably just make the level packs a chunk of JSON and Base64-encode any binary content like textures. I'm still a little unclear on how to handle IAP in general, and if I need to keep track of purchases on a server of my own, or if that's all done via Unity and the app stores. How does managing IAP work?

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

FantasticExtrusion posted:

I'm building a vehicular scifi game similar in scope, content, and aesthetic to vehicular-scifi games of the late 90's - early 2000's. It's local only, however I am designing my game from the ground up to support local co-op in split-screen. It's a "meant for analog input" game, but can also be enjoyed using only a keyboard without extra effort. I don't want my first cohesive game to be one where you just zap stuff, and I've got simple game plans towards that goal I'm excited about. I've nailed down some art techniques and core systems, so I have a foundation now.

This looks great. Reminds me of G-Police.

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

King of False Promises posted:

I love the old-school feel of the fourth one in the imgur gallery. It reminds me of 80s/early 90s RPGs.

:yossame:

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

.TakaM posted:

Howdy goon developers,
some of you may remember a thread or two about my old indie game "Fetch Quest"

This is a brilliant name for a game. For that reason alone, you must pursue it.

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

Polo-Rican posted:

I'm going crazy trying to think of a good name for a game I'm working on. It's a remake of this old game I made in Flash for the sa gamedex X:

trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yVY7gfdMhoA
gameplay: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YjXNYZrD7sw

The new version is built in Unity and looks and feels so much better than the flash version you see in the videos above... plus there are a few new gameplay mechanics that make the experience stronger and better-balanced. But I need a new name; the name "Hyperkozmo" is awful - too hard to spell, hard to google, only vaguely on-theme.

The game most resembles pool/billiards, so I'm occasionally tempted to have a pool-related name, but at the same time that would probably turn off almost everyone who doesn't care about pool. I personally don't give a poo poo about pool.

For a while I was considering "Super Orbcop," but there's nothing cop-related. Then I had a bunch of other potential "orb" titles: "Legends of the Orb", "Grand Orbis Magnifico," "The Orb Majestic," "Magna Orb Legenda," etc.

Then I started thinking about bocce instead of pool. "Bocce" is inherently funny, and I think there's a lot of potential for a title like "Cosmic Bocce" or "Super Bocce 5D." But I don't think anyone in real life knows how to spell "bocce." People know the word "bocce" by sound, but unfortunately I have a feeling that any title with "bocce" won't be read as "bocce" by the vast majority of people who see it.

Anyways, if anybody itt watches the youtube video above and comes up with any good names, let me know!!

The Orb titles make me think it's a fantasy RPG. I picture the Palantir, or Rita Repulsa, or the Wicked Witch of the West :orb:

Considering the game is based around vectors, and it has vector-looking graphics, and because "vector" sounds cool, I'd be tempted to use that word somewhere.

Cosmic Bocce has a decent ring, but yeah hard to spell. Is the game set in space or just supposed to look abstract? It has kind of an asteroids vibe.

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

Pigmassacre posted:

Up now for me, but here's the trailer anyway: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vM9dvABs2v0

It timed out for me as well. Retroid website looks pretty. Small typo: "We belive that gaming is a social activity."

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

asmasm posted:

Fun or annoying? I'm planning to use him as the intro tutorial bot. He won't actually interrupt the game with help:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tECFDx_n5k8

This is hilarious. Can you make his eyes track the controller?

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Considering your game, have you considered using KITT instead?

Okay this is a great point. I'm torn. Does the target audience of the game recall KITT?

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

What should I use to capture gifs? I think this thread had a consensus on GIF capture software several pages back, but I can't seem to find that discussion. I'm using Unity although this is all off-line so I don't know if that matters at all.

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

shs posted:

My game that I've been developing on and off since... times unknown is finally released.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/815630/Majula_Frontier/

The game has 30 something human characters and 50 something unique monsters and 60,000+ words of dialogue and 10+ 3D areas. I'm still not sure how I finished such a massive loving thing but somehow I reached the end.

Here's some Steam keys for who ever feels brave and bold enough to try it, and can copy and paste really fast.

1. IZ6LT-ZIPAZ-VDM__
2. 6GEA6-HPE3V-8GB__
3. DRAIT-N6HF4-5B0__
4. N3C0C-24PKZ-9AP__
5. T6YIG-HGVW3-2HY__

replace the underscores with these

1. D0
2. YB
3. BK
4. YP
5. EI

Grabbed #5. Thank you, and congratulations! :toot:

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

I quit my day job at Large Software Company last year and have been (mostly) lurking in this thread while I learn how to make video games. Finally ready to share some of my uhhh, own personal juice.

It's a word game!

https://www.punlock.io/

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

Polio Vax Scene posted:

Google Play store soon I hope?

Very likely, yes. It's made with Unity and the only platform-specific code is the haptics and StoreKit, both of which are easy to swap out.

My largest concern is the wide array of Android devices that may not run it well and trying to decide on a strategy for API version / device whitelist to make sure people don't have a bad experience if their device is not supported well.

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

Discendo Vox posted:

Tell us more about your monetization plan, Escape Goat. No ads is a bold move!

There's IAP theme packs (Fruit, Animals, etc.). All of the content is done by hand since the words need themes to tie them together (as opposed to having infinite gameplay interspersed with ads). I tried initially making it just pick a random word from a list but without the themes to provide a strong hint, I found the game was no fun at all.

I see the monetization as similar to shareware in that you get a starter pack for free, but if you want more "episodes" they're 99c. I understand the % of people who pay for anything might be quite low but I'm hoping that people like the game and don't mind paying for additional content.

Honestly though, I spent so much time trying to make the game look appealing and ads obviously undercut that pretty badly. So at least part of it is stubbornness.

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

Crain posted:

Ok so I think I've gotten a handle of the structure for the State Machines. Now I have to figure out how to apply them.

Not sure if this is applicable for your use case, but I used the state machines from "Surge" from the Unity asset store: http://surge.pixelplacement.com/statemachine.html for my game.

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

anothergod posted:

Anyways, I know I've played w/ a few of you, and I'm not sure if "community development" is generally considered "Making Games" in this thread, but if I have played with you and/or ya'll are interested please join the Discord and get ready to play Sundays (tonight) on Parsec.

I got an "invalid invite" error for the Discord. Maybe it expired?

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

I added a goon TestFlight group for my game if anyone is interested in trying: https://testflight.apple.com/join/kZjRRXxu

Would love some feedback. Here's a video to give you a better idea of how the game plays:

https://twitter.com/dbartle/status/1048338934709665792

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

baby puzzle posted:

Friends, could you please look at this rough draft of a trailer for my game? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7XZpjj9Hbjo

It isn't done.. it doesn't even have the game's name on it yet. However I want to be sure I'm on the right track.

I don't like the transition at 45 seconds to the vocal track, where there's some silence. I'd suggest starting the music track from the gameplay before the visuals pop in, while the title card is showing. The music at 55 seconds could probably be abruptly transitioned to when coming off of the first music track and skip the vocal track or leave it for the end of the trailer.

A few other transitions feel like they could be tighter, like the beats or first/last notes could connect better (e.g. at the 1:01 mark).

I'm still confused as to what the vehicle is doing and why it doesn't move laterally. I know this feedback has been given before, but it makes it hard to follow what's going on in the trailer because it's kind of distracting with the car jerking around.

The game looks gorgeous btw! Love the visuals.

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

I'd like to embed an action shot of the main model from my game directly onto the game's website, so that it is composited on top of the website's background.

Any ideas on how I could record from Unity and mark areas as transparent? Or would I need to mark areas with a specific colour and then use post processing software to cut that area out for transparency? Or is this all a bad idea?

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

Good points, I should have been more clear. While the focus is on the model, there is animated gameplay happening (wheels spinning). I could recreate that in a 3D tool, but I'm so bad at them that it would take an excessive amount of time.

I'd like the background gradient to just be transparent so I can embed that gameplay directly onto the website. Although now that it's pointed out, the object silhouettes / edges might look bad with the compression.

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

Got the transparency working via Unity Recorder thanks to this helpful fellow:

https://twitter.com/John_O_Really/status/1053707091356147713

I guess video autoplay and HTML5 video formats is a little more complicated than I realized. Even without an audio track and audio muted specifically, I can't tell why it plays sometimes and doesn't. In Safari it doesn't show up at all.

But in Chrome it looks cool:
https://punlock.io/index2.html

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

megane posted:

That looks great! ...but you should definitely cut of the ends of the video when the lock is facing sideways so that it loops cleanly :colbert:

Agreed, that would make a satisfying loop. I'll change the game to reload the same level (or try to figure out Vegas Pro since I bought it in a bundle awhile ago).

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

Lunatic Sledge posted:

there's something about making a trailer for a 30 minute game that feels really silly

Today I'm making a 16:9 YouTube trailer for a word game that plays exclusively in portrait mode. I feel silly.

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

Spent half the day re-capturing and re-creating my App Preview in widescreen 1080p. With that, I think my press kit is complete... now to see if any press will bite.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KBrWQhVJHYs

Anybody have any tips for contacting press?

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

j.peeba posted:

Looks slick! One scattershot you should do is to send a press release, along with screenshots and link to the trailer, to https://www.gamespress.com/. Check out some of the press releases there if you don't already have one and you're not familiar with the format.

Here's the instructions on how to submit: https://www.gamespress.com/about_howtosubmit.asp. The first option there works just fine, you can safely ignore the fancier approaches.

Thank you!

I have a little experience writing press releases because that's how things were done at the company I worked for (even for internal corporate apps, you'd write a press release).

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

The White Dragon posted:

my only tip is contact everything and expect to get absolutely nothing

i lie tip #2 is ignore it if some editor is rude as hell to you, just note it and never contact them again

I've had my expectations for sales quite low since I started this project, but I'll admit I hadn't realized that there might just be a void where not even press responds. I guess it's tiresome getting tons of emails every day hawking their game.

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

Mr Underhill posted:

I caved and added a double-click to run feature. It's straight out of Benny Hill. I love it. It's a keeper.

This is hilarious and also beautiful.

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I would definitely recommend the "make it into a routine" approach rather than the "force yourself to work" approach. Routines are a lot more sustainable than feeling guilty that you aren't working on something and therefore trying to force yourself to work on it. Forcing it is more liable to lead to burnout, in other words.

I'd also suggest keeping a list of todo items. You can keep it roughly prioritized, but the important thing is to have a list of achievable things that count as progress towards your long-term goal. Sometimes you're going to be able to tackle the "figure out why textures occasionally glitch out" bugs, other times all you're going to be up to doing is taking on the "add a button to the pause screen to go back to the main menu" kinds of things. Small wins still count as wins though, and are a big help in maintaining motivation.

I agree with all of this. I've tried to keep a routine that keeps me roughly on a normal work schedule despite being indie for a year now.

Pick one single thing, even a tiny menu bug, and do it.

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

Another hot motivation tip: don't read the Trump thread or you'll face existential dread and/or depression.

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

baby puzzle posted:

I have a steam page now: https://store.steampowered.com/app/630640/SEQUENCE_STORM/

Why does that feel a bit scary? I set the release date to december but idk...

Awesome, well done. Added to my wishlist.

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

Hammer Bro. posted:

It's not gamedev related but recently I've been getting ahold of people with a message akin to, "Hey, I would like to pay money for the services that you advertise," and 85% of them haven't responded.

It's astounding the cavalier approach people take to the things that make them money (as I type this at work).

Thus far my press emails have resulted in zero responses except two which are offering to sell services to me. :toot:

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

Gaspy Conana posted:

There's not much of a trick to it beyond just replying to folks when you think you have something to add to a convo and making sure to post gifs/vids/whatever with some regularity. You'll naturally gain followers over time as long as you aren't a jerk.

I knew there would be a catch.

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

anothergod posted:

Btw, I don't think I'm following you. If you or any other goons wanna drop a link to their twitter I'm interested in seeing what you post out there.

https://twitter.com/dbartle

Please subscribe for quality content like this:

https://twitter.com/dbartle/status/1055917020661858305

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

My app hit 250 pre-orders this morning! It's a free app but still, seeing the numbers go up has been a huge morale boost after I was kind of bummed out at the complete lack of press response.

Thanks to all ya'll in the thread who have pre-ordered or signal boosted on Twitter. You are the goons beneath my wings.

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

al-azad posted:

The best actual mocap in a video game is Clock Tower 3 where everyone is acting past the rafters and straight into the stratosphere.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3c9FWG5dQWM

For comparison

This is completely insane, hahaha.

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

I think the key to episodic content is to release Episode IV first and then never release Episode I.

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

The model for my game is like shareware, in that it's a free download with no consumable IAP or ads. But it's hard to distinguish from the other freemium models. I think when you see FREE you assume the worst now.

GIF format seems particularly poorly suited for a subtle gradient but it did not stop me from trying:

https://twitter.com/dbartle/status/1060259349820465152

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

Akumu posted:

Escape Goat, I was wondering, do you construct your puzzles with red herrings? Like in the coffee category, could you make C_EAM_R but then the E-R doesn't exist in the second ring?

Very interesting question. No, it's not that clever, but I like that idea. You could take additional solution seeds, deliberately chop off one ring (or even more cruel, just one letter to get "CREAMZR"), and then add it to the puzzle.

Right now the puzzle generator pulls extra letters at random and tries not to duplicate letters. I found that this inadvertently reduced difficulty nicely by limiting the number of vowels (which is a good thing because it was too hard before that, I think). I also re-roll the random letters if other words are generated by accident, although it's impossible to avoid for some puzzles due to the symmetry (e.g. WOLF -> FLOW; SNAP -> PANS).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

Cory Parsnipson posted:

You said you quit/got laid off to develop this full time right? I'm curious as to how you are going to make money off of it without ads or any purchases?

Also good luck! I wish I could do what you did but I'm too scared.

Thank you, much appreciated. I wrestled a lot with anxiety but ended up more terrified of how I'd feel if I never tried, even if it was a huge commercial flop. I also have been quite nervous about posting in this thread.

I did quit my comfortable day job, but I don't have any expectations of making serious money on the App Store. It's being funded by savings and I guess you could call it a vanity project. My rationale was that instead of buying a nice car for myself I'd buy myself a year to make something.

There are in-app purchases, just not consumable purchases. That's why I liken it to shareware, its kind of like parceling out "episodes" of the game in that sense. Contrasted with e.g. purchasing "energy" to play the game more or purchasing hints that are consumed.