Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

eeenmachine posted:

Use this, it seriously is the bees knees: http://struct.ca/futile/

I came to Unity without a clue of how to use it and using Futile had a playable version of a pretty complex game within a week or two.

I've been playing with this and while it's fine for, like, displaying sprites on a screen and letting you tap buttons, it has NOTHING else in it. There's no physics, there's only the slightest hint of collision detection (if a single bounding box collision method I only found by searching /r/futile counts), and there's almost no public libraries and next-to-no tutorials for it.

If you want to use a minimal 2D game engine and are fine with your game being limited to PC platforms, stick to an engine with more support, a bigger community, and better libraries like Flixel, Love, or even XNA if C# is really your jam*. And if you need iOS support, maybe look into Cocos 2D - I don't have first hand experience with it, but I've heard a lot of success stories about it.

* XNA may actually be just as minimal as Futile is when it comes to 2D games; I don't have any experience with it. I can guarantee it has far more tutorials and documentation, though.

I don't want to sound super negative about Futile, it's a super new engine and I'd love for it to grow and become the standard for 2D development in Unity - I like being able to code in C# and be multiplatform! On the other hand, it's just not at the level these other engines are at yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

That's a fair assessment. I think it's similar to Love in that regard, but Love has just had much more development time and has more libraries, examples, and tutorials.

I'd like to hear more about how you integrated tiled map loading in Futile; did you roll your own TMX reader?

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

My problem is that I can't come up with one idea, let alone twelve in a year :v:

I know that it's impossible to really describe the "creative process" in any medium, but, well, how do you guys develop your ideas? I should probably just start working on something generic to get my feet wet, but it's hard to get excited about making Yet Another Indie Platformer. The only ideas I ever have for games tend to be narrative ideas and not actual gameplay concepts, which is unfortunate. That's the kind of dark path that leads to things like the original Zybourne Clock - I'd rather come up with, you know, a game instead of a plotline.

Btw, it's interesting seeing a lot of artists in this thread who are learning coding, whereas I'm thinking of doing the opposite - I know how to code (in broadest terms), but have absolute poo poo in terms of art skills. Everyone's screenshots always make me really jealous, since I know if I ever really started on a project it would look like rear end by comparison.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

timeandtide posted:

As a fiction writer, I'd really like to experiment making a few simple text games, but I have 0% programming knowledge. Are there any recommended programs/methods to start out with? (I'm hoping there's an RPG Maker style program for this.)

If there's one that I can tool around by putting in audio, visuals, etc. (I'd love to do a text game with a visual novel flair to it- music tracks cuing up for certain rooms, etc.) but that still keep it simple would be even better.

Also, if anyone has any must read interactive fiction/text games I need to check out, feel free to link them.

You want Inform: http://inform7.com/

Inform 7's interesting because it basically lets you write a story rather than code. A lot of coders don't like it because they feel like they could express themselves more easily with an actual scripting language, but from what I've used of it, it didn't feel too awkward or difficult to learn to write "prose" in the form it's looking for.

Inform won't do any sort of audiovisual flair, but it has some advantages: it produces a very portable filetype that can be played on a variety of interpreters on different platforms (from PC to iPhone) and can apparently now generate web sites your game can be played on (which is badass).

Also, play a few Adam Cadre games (particularly 9:05, Photopia, and Shrapnel) to see some of the more experimental narrative stuff, some Infocom games to learn how to design puzzles/gameplay (in particular A Mind Forever Voyaging and Planetfall, though the former doesn't have much in the way of "puzzles" in the traditional sense), and whatever else interests you from the Xyzzy award winners.

abraham linksys fucked around with this message at 09:49 on Dec 23, 2012

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

I was hoping to do Ludum Dare but I can't come up with any good ideas on this theme :smith:

But I did make a video game over the last week! So hey, there's that: http://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/80097157/momentum/index.html

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

Are there any good resources for free 3D models for Unity, similar to the various free-to-use sprite sets out there? I don't even need them to be licensed for commercial use, just for creating some prototypes. I have zero art skills and every time I open up Blender it's the 3D modeling equivalent of the dude from QWOP :smith:

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

Here's my "screenshot" for today: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/80097157/tunneler/index.html

Trying to make a Tempest-y thing, built around avoidance instead of shooting. I'd like it to feel like you're actually moving down a tunnel, instead of stuff coming towards you. The "rings" in the tunnel are my attempt to create that perspective, not sure if they actually work.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

Playtest Saturday: is this browser game I'm working on any fun? :shobon: http://disco.zone/33rpm/ (warning: plays music on start, press M to mute)

I mostly made it for practice, but I want to get it slightly more polished so I can comfortably call it "done" and move on.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

Obsurveyor posted:

It's alright. Neat concept and the animation/music timing is perfect but the shooting/balls are pointless when you can just spam shots forever and just focus on dodging barriers. Maybe they should come back around and kill you to prevent this? It also starts immediately at full speed. Maybe start slow and then speed it up as the player progresses.

Ooh, I kinda like the idea of a ball essentially becoming a barrier if you miss it (and presumedly disappearing after a second lap). I've basically been struggling to find a way to do something more interesting than just having the player lose if a ball hits the red line. I actually had a version at one point where you're only dodging barriers, but it made the game feel kinda empty.

edit: I just realized you were saying the bullets would come back around and hit you :downs: that would be interesting, but I worry it'd be too punishing.

You're right about spamming shots, not sure how best to throttle (I know I've played some shoot-em-ups where you can't fire until your shot actually hits something, but that might be too harsh?).

quote:

edit: Oh yeah, the default volume is way, way too loud.

Web Audio APIs :argh: Thanks for the heads up, didn't think to check the relative volume versus other apps.

abraham linksys fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Jun 29, 2014

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

I just published a game I've been working on for the past few days to itch.io: http://discozone.itch.io/monotron

It's a neat site, might replace the self-hosting I've been doing. The only thing I don't like is that they don't have a deployment API; you have to manually upload a zip file in their web interface. Slightly less convenient than the automated SFTP uploads I've been doing to my own site :(

I'm pretty happy I managed to get this game made in about 5 days, hoping I can keep up the pace this year. I am starting to get sick of just using geometric primitives in my games (though using a retro vector style makes it look much more on-purpose), so I might start poking around Open Game Art for some assets. I might even drop $10 on Pixen so I can develop some generic lo-res assets to use for prototyping, but I don't know how much time I want to spend learning the ways of pixel art (and, uh, art in general).

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

Here's my screenshot Saturday, I guess, in the form of a single playable test level for a platformer I may or may not continue: http://disco.zone/blorp/

Platformer physics are really hard, it turns out! This is full of a bunch of hacks to make things work. For example, there's a bunch of code to set whether edges are collidable on adjacent tiles, so that a long platform becomes one contiguous region (essentially, [ ][ ][ ] becomes [     ] in the eyes of collision detection). Honestly, were I to do this all again, I wouldn't use the collision detection built into the library I'm using (Coquette) for the actual platform collisions, instead rolling my own with something fancier. In fact, I still might do that depending on how stable my current solution is...

This is also the first game I've made that has, like, actual sprites, which I made with Pixen. I like some things about Pixen a lot, but it's a very... idiosyncratic interface, I guess? There are lots of things that feel slightly "off" or unexpected about it (like a bunch of common actions seem to be missing hotkeys). Still, worth the $10 investment. This is also the first time I used a level editor to create maps, using Tiled, which is super awesome for simple mapping like this.

I think I'm going to keep adding new enemies (spikes, moving spikes, spikes that hide, that sort of thing) and see if I can make something fun with the level editor. Even if the game itself ends up being kind of blah, I'll have learned a bunch of new stuff in the process :)

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

Stiggs posted:

Sup everybody, was wondering if anyone could help me with some 2d tile collision stuff.

I've got a solution that's almost working, but it's still giving me a couple of issues. First of all, the code... http://pastebin.com/yHschd9b

The level is a grid of tiles, so I'm looping through all of the tiles around the player and checking to see if they intersect. If they do, I go and find the intersection depth and then push the player out by that amount. My problem is when I'm up against a wall of 2 or more tiles high, if I move towards that wall and jump, I keep getting stuck on the wall. Also, if I jump to the left and land in the center of a tile, I seem to get completely stuck and can't move left anymore.

I'm kind of at a loss here, though I have a feeling the jumping left issue has something to do with the order in which the tiles are being checked for collision.

Can anyone point me in the right direction? If I need to post more of the code, let me know.

Hey, I actually had the same issue with getting "stuck" on walls when implementing a tile-based platformer over the past couple weeks. The problem is that when you have adjacent tiles, you don't want to be able to collide with the "seam" between them. The same issue can happen when walking over the top of adjacent tiles, too.

There's a few different ways you can solve this, which this Stack Overflow answer describes better than I could: http://gamedev.stackexchange.com/a/29037

The first way - to flag internal edges - is arguably the easiest, and the one I implemented.

Also, here's a couple of very good tutorials on implementing collision detection in a tile-based platformer, by the people who made N:

http://www.metanetsoftware.com/technique/tutorialA.html
http://www.metanetsoftware.com/technique/tutorialB.html

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

I've been toying with the idea of a web-based PC Music rhythm game for the past few weeks, and finally started to execute on it this week by building a chart editor:

http://quick.as/qq1c7jrm

You can't tell from this garbage screencast, but it actually runs at 60fps, which wasn't easy. The editor's web-based and built on React (rendering mainly SVGs). I think the actual playback engine will be a custom-built canvas thing, depending on what kind of visual effects I end up adding, but just using SVGs/DOM events feels surprisingly decent (though the input timing is really imprecise/gets off sync quite easily, gotta figure that out).

Building tools is super fun and I wish it hadn't scared me off some previous ideas I've had. Though in this case, I'm essentially just cloning Stepmania's editor, so there's not a lot of design to worry about.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

I've been working on a music game engine that runs in a browser on and off for the last few months. finally got it basically working and threw a song from undertale at it, since it was pretty easy to chart and interesting to play

you can play it here, use SDF[space]JKL keys: easy / hard

I'd like to hear how it runs on y'alls computers; it maintains a slightly-hitchy 60fps on my Macbook but probably falls apart on some devices because browsers are slow and SVG rendering is even slower, but it's sorta cool that I was able to make a Stepmania clone work in a goddamn web browser.

Right now, it's rendering the entire chart to an SVG, then using CSS to scroll the chart on every frame. This sounds ludicrous, but is actually way faster than updating the Y values of every single note. This is almost good enough, but it's still hitchy, so I'm gonna try to reimplement chart rendering using <canvas> instead of SVG for the playback engine - I'm hoping that with even the most naive rendering code it should be easy enough to make run at 60fps.

I also built an in-browser editor, which is a pretty direct rip of Stepmania's editor UI. It makes creating charts a pretty fun exercise in itself.

It's an open source React+Redux app, too, if you're curious about how it works under the hood.

Eventually, I want to make a properly-packaged game with this engine, after adding some more gameplay features (like hold notes or whatever). Gotta find the right base of music and the right theme, though. I also have a kind of crazy idea to use Youtube/other streaming services as the playback engine for the music so I don't have to host a bunch of MP3s, but so far I've been, not surprisingly, having issues syncing audio playback to the game playback :(

abraham linksys fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Dec 13, 2015

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

going kind of crazy trying to track down a canvas render stuttering issue in my music game. here's the same demo song I posted earlier, with canvas rendering flipped on:

http://bipp.disco.zone/play/1/easy?fps

controls are still SDF[space]JKL for the columns from left to right, and if you played the last demo, you might have to manually refresh to see the new version, since I have yet to figure out how to properly cache-bust things :( (you'll know it's the new version if you see white lines separating the columns)

I added an internal FPS meter that just calculates FPS from the time-delta requestAnimationFrame() gives, and it shows a pretty flat 60 even when I can see stuttering happen (and it only uses the last 100 samples, whereas the stuttering tends to last >1 second, so it should be dropping, theoretically). I'm convinced that there's some sort of browser rendering issue happening here :(

Do y'all see the same weird stuttering, or is it running smooth on your computers?

e: it runs perfectly for me in Firefox but not Chrome, blargh

abraham linksys fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Dec 21, 2015

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

hey i've been working on this game called manygolf for like a month now, curious what y'all think of it: http://manygolf.disco.zone

some things I've learned:

- netcode is loving hard, even for a goofy golf game. there are so many quirks and edge cases and special cases and testing it locally is super difficult; you have to find ways to simulate lag and various concurrency scenarios. I wish I'd written tests for this game as I'd gone because right now my manual QA testing process is "deploy while people are playing and see if it breaks and roll back if it does"

- on the other hand, making online games is awesome. i love having the instant feedback of seeing people playing and knowing they're having some fun. as hard as netcode has been i'm really hoping i can make more online games because it's so much fun

- this is an obvious one, but taking a "dumb" technical approach to get a prototype going is almost always the right choice. the original version of manygolf had netcode that just sent you player positions 60 times a second, which, uh, obviously didn't scale, but was enough to get a handful of people playing the game at once. now i'm going back and writing real netcode, which i'm still working on, but i at least know the game itself is fun and works and is actually worth the effort. level gen was the same way: the original level generation code was incredibly naive and made garbage levels, but helped me figure out what make levels fun or not fun so i could tweak it a bit.

- consider throwing some kind of visitor analytics code on your game as early as possible. i didn't add referral tracking to my game, but thankfully, since i did have an error collector (sentry) that included referrers and, uh, some errors that happened to basically everyone, I managed to find out that my game got mentioned on /r/webgames, some Hungarian magazine, and is getting shared by a ton of people on facebook

- add an error reporter/collector so you can find out when things are going horribly wrong! if you're making a web game, or a game with a server-side component, sentry has a free plan (tho i'm currently on the $9/mo hobbyist plan because my error volume is pretty high at the moment and the free plan has a daily limit) and takes like two lines of code to set up. both my server and my client use it. i assume there are other options for unity games and such.

- task management is key. i've been using a workflowy section to maintain features, bugs, and other tasks. has really helped a lot in keeping everything in my head, much more than github issues did on my last project

abraham linksys fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Apr 24, 2016

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

crab avatar posted:

Congratulations! You have many ad $$$ to look forward to.

heh, i've purposely decided not to monetize it:

- it's a pretty straight ripoff of desert golfing with a worse control scheme. like, to the point that i thought about adding an offline mode and then realized i should just download desert golfing again instead and tell everyone else to do the same. i would feel bad monetizing something that unoriginal, unless the monetization was "an affiliate program with desert golfing" :v:
- it wouldn't be enough for a full-time job, obviously, and feeling like i had to support a monetized service would take time away from my actual full-time job
- it probably wouldn't be much money at all and not worth the headache it'd add to my taxes

i got an email from $big_web_game_host asking if i wanted to add it to their site (i assume in exchange for money) but, like, eh

also the game's open source so if they really wanted to host it they could just run their own drat server and host the client themselves, shrug. i've always made my web games open source by default because, like, by their nature they're not exactly hard to get the source out of. this time i suppose i could have closed sourced the server but eh

on feature suggestions:

- leaderboards (and related things like win streaks) are a to-do! lots of ideas here, the coolest of which would be to be a "championship" style points system and a rolling leaderboard. if nothing else, showing more player positions at the end of each round so you can get a sense of who's good could be fun
- taunts: yup, i want to have an icon-based chat system that would include that (displayed in tiny speech bubbles above the balls)
- safe screen edges: interesting! i was actually thinking about making the edges more obviously "cliffs" but actually having some safe buffer could be interesting too
- mutators: for sure, lots of ideas here. weird physics, reversed gravity, "cave golf" (courses with ceilings that make it harder to putt), etc. it just would take quite a bit of time to individually code each feature, especially since i'd need to come up with a nice abstraction for sharing logic around them between the clients and server. prioritizing leaderboards/netcode over that

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

deck posted:

please tell us how the level generator works

it is so, so, so much dumber than you could possibly imagine https://github.com/thomasboyt/manygolf/blob/master/src/universal/levelGen.ts

there's a few hacks there that can make it more confusing than it should be so tl;dr

1) generate a random number of segments between 10 and 30, numSegments
2) divide worldWidth / numSegments to get the width of each segment
3) pick a segment for the ball to start in and a segment for the hole to go in
4) iterate over the points, setting the x to be pointNumber * segmentWidth and the height to be a number 40 pixels greater or less than the previous segment. this is the main thing i changed from the uber-dumb prototype, which used to pick a completely random y for each point, resulting in monstrously hosed up levels, especially when numSegments was high
5) for the spawn and hole segments, set the y values on either side to be the same so it's flat

that's the gist of it. there's a bunch of wild poo poo happening in the physics code that then turns the generated points into polygons in the physics engine (actually a set of 3: one for the left of the hole, one for the ground under the hole, and one to the right of the hole, which is all done to get around a weird bug where the physics engine kept breaking on larger polygons for some reason). this code also actually inserts the hole into the level geometry; in retrospect i probably shoulda done that in the initial level gen but it's fine like this.

hey, congrats! i'm definitely gonna play this whenever i boot up my windows desktop next, or whenever you make an osx build :v:

abraham linksys fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Apr 25, 2016

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

Problem Sleuth posted:

I haven't been working on any sort of game stuff in ages, but I decided to get back in to it by learning Unity through a Udemy course.

which course was this? I want to learn Unity but have no idea how, and trying to jump into that editor/IDE has just been completely overwhelming. I've been keeping an eye out for a good tutorial series or book or something (ideally not video but, hell, I'd take that if it was honestly the best option) that goes through building 2D games with it. unfortunately, most of what i've found so far tends to either be geared towards total programming beginners and only really go through hooking together premade components or is super out of date and limited :(

basically I need the equivalent of Michael Hartl's Rails tutorial - going through the entire ecosystem and walking through building real projects - but for building 2D games in Unity

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

this is kind of an esoteric question that may belong elsewhere, but:

i made manygolf open source by default because, well, i always make stuff open source by default, plus at the time github wasn't offering unlimited private repos like they do now. i've recently gotten some questions about what license it's under, though (currently the repo doesn't have one). i've been looking into licensing, and basically, i'm trying to figure out if there's a way to license the game under a CC-BY-SA-NC (that is, Creative Commons Attribution Sharealike Noncommercial) - so people can't just fuckin throw up the game with ads on it and call it a day - while licensing the code under an MIT or similarly permissive license, so that someone could come in and copy-paste some utility function and that'd be fine.

has anyone here worked on an open source game? is this possible? or should I just make the thing MIT-licensed and accept that someone might rehost it with some ad banners somewhere

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

anyone want to chat 2D collision detection? it's kinda hurting my brain

I'm making a little game where you're a triangle going down a tunnel. To implement collision detection with walls, which are represented as line segments, I implemented a raycasting sorta thing. It just casts a line from the center of the triangle to the position it will be on the next frame (taking into account the scroll speed along the X axis).

This worked great for the walls, but then I decided to add the fan blade thing you see at the start. Currently, collision with the fan blade is also handled through raycasting, which... kind of works? I don't know, it feels glitchy, and I'm not sure why. I think it just has to do with the "next frame" aspect of the calculation?

anyways, I've previously just done stuff with bounding box collision, so this has been an interesting experiment if nothing else. I kinda think going forward I should rewrite the fan blade collision as colliding a bounding box in the center of the triangle with four distinct rectangles, or maybe implementing some sort of non-rectangular collision detection algorithm so I can actually treat the triangle as, uh, a triangle. The raycasting solution for the wall segments still seems like the right move, but maybe it'd be better to also handle them as individual shapes for reasons I'm not aware of?

I should just learn some existing game engine so I can focus on, like, designing games, but designing games is insanely difficult and scary so instead I guess I'll keep working on these little game framework experiments where I get to have fun doing coding instead of, like, learning art or animation or how to make compelling video games :unsmith:

abraham linksys fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Jul 31, 2016

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

I found NPM modules for line-line intersection for the walls, and a module for SAT collision for colliding with other enemies :toot:

Those articles are great, though, it's a lot of stuff I had seen in libraries or even copy pasted into my own code but never fully understood myself.

Now I can rapidly come up with new enemies of all sorts of weird shapes and the code is there for drawing and colliding with them, which is letting me get Real Weird With It. Hope I'll have some fun gameplay to share within the next day or two.

(I would like to find a good module for decomposing concave shapes into convex shapes for SAT collision, but it's not that hard to do that manually with the shapes I'm using)

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

as best I can tell, Pico 8 is a hyper-minimal Lua game engine bundled with a sprite, audio, music, and level editor that can be exported for web games. which is cool but also I don't really want to write games in Lua, and the UI of the editor is basically Mario Paint and I don't know who's ever looked at Mario Paint and gone "yes, this is how games should be made"

I own it from that Voxatron Humble Bundle back in the day but every time I've opened it I've just been immediately turned off by everything about it. I've had https://eev.ee/blog/2016/05/25/under-construction-our-pico-8-game/ on my backlog to read for a while tho, it seems like a good overview of what game dev is actually like with it

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

hey, so I'm currently midway through making a game with placeholder boxes, and I'd like to draw pixel art for it. are there any good places to learn how to draw pixel art?

I know this is a stupidly open-ended question, but, like... there should be a place to learn this sort of stuff by now, right? Like a Codecademy for drawing things? It seems like there's a lot of incredible tools and resources to help artists code games, but not any tools and resources to help coders make art for games. And unless I suddenly befriend a pixel artist who shares in my dream of making this game a reality and doesn't need, like, money, I don't have any other options other than making it myself.

man, the visual aspect of making games sucks. gonna do this and then maybe figure out how the hell shaders work so I can start dipping my toe into making 3D games, though gently caress if I'm ever going to manage to learn how to 3D model something

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

Polo-Rican posted:

yo abraham linksys your game got a great callout in boingboing - cool!!

http://boingboing.net/2016/08/26/manygolf-simple-addictive-on.html

I saw from the way the servers have been on fire all morning!

been resurrecting some efforts I made for an iOS version and cut a trailer for Steam Greenlight, because, eh, why not? so look for that sometime next week, and hopefully the iOS version in a month or two (it's in "beta app approval" right now so I may come back asking for invite emails soon :>)

kinda happy I got this boost because some my efforts for a new game are floundering pretty hard, heart's not really in finishing it and it's been bumming me out that I'm going to be scrapping a bunch of work. though I at least managed to learn some stuff while working on it. people still love Manygolf tho and it's nice being able to go back and work on something that people are already enjoying again

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

after experimenting with a bunch of lil' projects over the past couple months, I've returned to Manygolf to experiment with making some native apps. I also put it on Greenlight because, gently caress it, why not, right? Also it turns out there's a JS wrapper for Steamworks so it should be possible for me to add cool Steam integration stuff.

You can sign up for the iOS beta here: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLScAJAsaPGTE_elKg5MbqXgsa-W1rbrWRdDQGi-gXLBgaTM34Q/viewform
And upvote on Greenlight here: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=751794609

It was fun cutting a trailer for Greenlight, and a $100 donation to Child's Play is a far better deal than a lot of the money I've spent on this game so far (Apple dev membership, booo). I don't have any faith the Greenlight campaign goes anywhere, but hey.

abraham linksys fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Aug 30, 2016

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

started loving around with unity, and man, a few bits are rougher than I expected. scripting is intuitive and fun but the rest just isn't intuitive at all

I was trying to prototype a basic lil 3d wall-ball game (throw ball at wall, ball bounces back at you, repeat), and thought I'd throw a grid texture on the Cube prefabs I'd thrown up as walls. the walls are of course scaled to be big rectangular shapes and not cubes, but I was surprised when I applied the texture to the objects and found the textures were scaled up to match the scaling of the mesh, even though the textures were set to repeat

of course this obviously makes sense given, like, the way most meshes in a real game would work - your textures would scale with your mesh - but for repeating textures on level geometry, this isn't what I want. googling this lead to a bunch of script examples like this that are supposed to resize the texture to fit the mesh, but don't seem to work in practice (this one has throws a deprecation error, I think?). I even tried to find a shader that would apply a simple grid to a mesh, but I couldn't find one that (a) wouldn't emit a not supported error with a WebGL target or (b) would allow an underlying texture under the grid (which apparently has to be handled by the shader, since you can't just stack shaders from the looks of it?).

I even went as far as to install that ProBuilder addon that's included with Unity, which, indeed, did let me generate actual, custom, sized meshes with grids already attached to them, even though it was obviously overkill. it, of course, kept throwing up random permission errors when I saved, which I had to solve by deleting a cache folder inside my project :psyduck:

so all that said: when y'all make 3D games for Unity, what the gently caress do you use for actually creating level geometry? Do you create wall and floor meshes of various sizes in Blender and copy past them together? Do you use a level editor? Do you just use a 3D modeler? Do you generate stuff in code? and, while this is obviously not even slightly relevant to my current project, how on earth do people make levels like the world in Firewatch, since I assume you can't just create a giant deformed ground mesh in Unity?

at least with the scripting stuff being as easy as it is I feel like I'd be pretty confident making a 2D game in Unity now (especially one that used a reasonable level editor like Tiled, or just generated everything in code, so I'd never actually have to deal with the editor)

abraham linksys fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Jul 7, 2018

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

yeah, I went ahead and installed Blender and made my box-with-a-hole-in-it. works but as you can see here the grid alignment is all hosed up, probably cuz i gotta adjust the generated UV map or something http://funk-wav-bounces.surge.sh/

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

shs posted:

Is it normal to have people from Unity hitting me up to buy the pro version? I released a web game a few weeks ago that had a decent number of users, so maybe someone noticed that, but at the same time, these emails are written like robot translated phishing scams. If it is real, they're going to be real disappointed when they find out my 1 person "company" doesn't make anywhere near $200k a year.

according to twitter it seems to be some badly implemented new directive:

https://twitter.com/weheartgames/status/1019017856464416778
https://twitter.com/KaiClavier/status/1019003728265924608

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

FuzzySlippers posted:

Unreal seems like a great option for decent sized teams of former AAA people but I can't imagine its better than Unity for tiny team dev. Unreal also has a lot of features to make a super pretty game that are kinda dangerous. Like what just happened with the System Shock pseudo remake even with a medium sized team. Easy to be impressed with early near AAA art tests that eventually crush you with the pipeline.

Looking at the most successful tiny indie teams they usually seem to try to minimize the tech. Making a game is already brutally hard so any additional tech hurdles just push you that much further from completion. Since people do great things with even GM or Clickteam (isn't Darkest Dungeon basically a web game under the hood?) I think trying to attack development with the mindset of what is the minimum technology I need to make this game is a smart one.

While Darkest Dungeon may not be a web game, there's quite a few Electron-wrapped games on Steam. Game Dev Tycoon is one, and its developer even made an open source Node wrapper for the Steamworks API. Web is a solid platform for anything menu-driven that doesn't need super fancy graphical effects, since the DOM is reasonably easy to work with - I believe several VNs on Steam are HTML5 games, for example.

There's also some neat stuff out there that combines web UI with canvas or WebGL games, like this loving amazing open source music game engine,. I wrote my own (very lovely) music game engine a couple years ago using React + Redux + Canvas, and found this the other day and was just stunned that someone else had not only built the same thing with the same stack, but made such an incredibly polished and feature-complete engine with it.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

j.peeba posted:

Progress on Stuffo has continued strong! I've done a bunch of small additions to further JUICE the game, along with a couple of new test puzzles.

The great thing about having big chunky pixels and a constrained palette is that adding new layers of detail. Just creating the look up/down animations for the bot felt like it added a lot of character and dimension and all it took was moving like 10 pixels slightly for the frames.

this looks incredible!

i'm curious, what goes into making some of these effects? i assume a lot of it is framework-specific, but i'm kind of fascinated by some of the stuff people can make in 2D, as someone who can't art for poo poo and is mostly looking for ways to add some sort of juice to my game's looks. like, everything from the shaky laser beams, to the explosion effects, to the water reflection are completely mystifying to me. are there any hot tips, or is it just like "learn shaders for fancy effects like reflections, and gently caress around building particle effects with simple sprites until you get something cool?"

i'm over here building games in html5 canvas, which is more or less a BASIC-level graphics api, so i think some of this stuff will be beyond me until i transition into something webgl-based (you can apply webgl pixel shaders on top of a canvas, but i think you can only do screen-level stuff for e.g. fake crt filters, not really piecemeal effects). still, it'd be nice to have a mental model for like... how to make games look neat, i dunno

abraham linksys fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Aug 27, 2018

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

baby puzzle posted:

I am polishing up graphics and stuff on some new content. I think this is a lovely screenshot.

once again, i have made the mistake of opening the gamedev thread while starting to dip my toe into trying to make something, and saw something so impressive-looking that i am immediately intimidated :v:

I've been trying to build some kind of procedural track-based game in Godot and found it pretty difficult so far. i managed to create a random descending path using godot's curve3d (which is a bezier curve thing) and this algorithm for generating curve control points to fit randomly-generated points. trying to make it twist, with banked turns that are generated from the turning speed, completely maxed out my math knowledge, though.

I thought maybe I could do some poo poo with normals or derivatives or whatever to figure out how to "bank" a point along the curve correctly, but couldn't figure out the math for it at all, and google turned up very little practical stuff in terms of generating or automatically this. i think, like, if i were building a track manually, i would just create a second spline that had the desired normals for each banked turn (e.g. a vector sticking out sideways if i want a 90 degree turn), and then I could interpolate along that when generating my mesh. trying to figure out an algorithm to do this for a randomly-generated curve has got me stumped, though

i might just build some simpler track-followin' game (right now I'm down to just doing a little thing with stuff traveling along a half-circle "over the horizon"). i will say the programmatic 3d rendering tools in godot are pretty awesome as someone who has no idea what the gently caress i'm doing, since you can just render wireframe lines real quick (as long as you don't, uh, need actual face culling for your environment to make sense). it's a neat lil engine for something you can grab off itch.io and download in three seconds!

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

baby puzzle posted:

Each of my spline points has both a position vector and a normal vector. So it’s a 6 dimension spline. Don’t get caught up I thinking that a spline only has 3 dimensions. Although whatever Godot provides probably doesn’t give you that out of the box. I don’t remember what spline library I’m using and I’m away from my pc. I author the banking and stuff manually everywhere. Edit: of course I built my own editor as well where you are maybe using something built for generic use.

godot has a built-in "Curve3D" node type that is, theoretically, something you could use to build a spline with, but the editor tools are really poor and it doesn't seem to give you any control over setting normals on the curve (in the editor or in code). that said, I think it'd be reasonable to make a second curve that has the normals, since you can just interpolate over the normals in the same way you interpolate over the positions, I guess? wouldn't be able to visualize it in the godot editor out of the box, but could be fine existing in code if I'm doing programmatic generation anyways...

I do wonder if you could have an algorithm generate "banked" splines automatically. Godot actually has a "PathFollower" Node that tries to rotate and tilt based on the curve, but it's really fuckin' busted, which makes me think it's not an easy problem.

probably a more reasonable compromise here would be to generate a spline by gluing "prefab" segments together, assuming you can make the start/end points match up. I think this is what (Super) Impossible Road does, something like "generate a spline for a curve segment that will turn 45 degrees over X, Y, and Z displacement, and add a random facing-in normal in the middle of the curve to make it bank." in fact, in impossible road, I think the pieces are "joined" at the checkpoints, which I suspect is why they appear to always be unbanked, since that makes it easier to glue them together

abraham linksys fucked around with this message at 22:52 on May 17, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

Hammer Bro. posted:

If Godot C# isn't a first-class citizen quite yet, it's definitely gunning for it.

I'm actually worried it'll become the primary Godot language at some point. Not that C# wasn't delightful when I last used it, but so's gdscript and also I get a wristful of Java at my day job.

funny, literally just mentioned this in the other thread, but I'm really not liking GDScript much. i have written quite a lot of Python for web development (though 2-3 years ago now, I guess), so I'm not really put off by the syntax or anything like that, mostly just wish the type annotations were more powerful (like, not "algebraic data types" powerful, just "let me define the items in an array" powerful), and the lack of list comprehensions and lambdas means my logic always ends up being a for-loop hell. also, I have introduced a couple memory leaks in trivial applications by just forgetting that it uses really naive reference counting and you have to explicitly free circular dependencies; I guess that might be okay as a runtime tradeoff to avoid GC but is just so weird to me in a scripting language in 2020

that said, I like it well enough that I haven't tried C# yet (I didn't even install the version with Mono support, which I guess would be required). It does seem like just about every example you find on the internet is in GDScript and not C#; I'm not familiar enough with the Godot C# API to know if it's an easy 1:1 translation