Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

I'm interested in making a ~minute long prerendered cutscene of a meteor hitting a low-poly forest, so I decided to give Unity a stab.

I went through the default kart racer tutorial and it seemed pretty thin on doing things like importing new models and textures. I couldn't even figure out how to import any of this stuff https://devilsworkshop.itch.io/lowpoly-forest-pack and get the textures attached to the treess. It apparently was tested in Unity so should work just fine...

I assume I just need a more basic tutorial - does anyone have any recommendations for one? Am I crazy to be doing this in Unity, and there's much easier software to do this in?

Tunicate fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Aug 25, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

oh wow, they seem to have changed the Blender UI considerably since the last time I tried using it. Dunno if it's better or not since I was never any good with blender, but I like them finally conceding on the the left mouse vs right mouse issue.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Thanks, that was super helpful.

I'm aiming to be roughly at the quality level /aesthetic of one of the old tiberium dawn CG cutscenes, since that seems like something I can reasonably hit on a first project, and will stop me from being too perfectionist about tiny details. Definitely not gonna be splicing in live action like they did, though.

EDIT: comparing my results with yours, it looks like you've some lighting options on the mesh renderer menu that I'm not seeing, which probably explains why your trees and hill are different colors than mine. I tried the 'lightmap static' option and that's not it.

Oh, is lighting a plugin, or something only in the premium version of unity?

Tunicate fucked around with this message at 09:51 on Aug 25, 2019

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

honestly I personally find the aliasing more distracting, but that's a problem that's been solved a lot of times

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I'm not sure what you mean by aliasing. Are you talking about the ocean shader near the horizon? The ocean shader is very temporary; it's a free thing I downloaded early on.

yeah exactly, the water pattern starts getting aliased pretty hard, and combined with the animation that gets particularly distracting for me

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Just go full Spy Hunter, and every time your ship is destroyed the next-smaller ship class sails out of the wreckage

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

leper khan posted:

You can always kit bash your prototype and if you need to roll through and paint over all your assets you can do that later.

like how AI Wars started by just using graphics and edits from Tyrian

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

The Rotsprite algorithm is probably the best one i've seen for rotating sprites in a nonblurry way. Basically it upscales all sprites to 8x using a modified scalex2, rotates the sprite, then downscales to the original size again, picking the sampling grid dynamically to land on as few color borders as possible. Might be expensive in realtime, but results are nice.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

You can succeed with pretty lovely pixel art compared to actual high quality stuff.

Compare the bad megaman seven sprites to, say, fool

Tunicate fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Sep 7, 2019

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

I was bullshitting with some friends about ideas for the bosses in my game, and I want to share one we were talking about. So, the basic idea here is that when Pearl Harbor happened, the islands got occupied, and the invaders built a gigantic cannon into one of the volcanoes, which they used to shell the United States, thousands of miles away. Right? Gigantic cannon built into a volcano. So how does this work? We want the volcano to factor into it somehow...what if they converted the entire volcano into the weapon? So the caldera is the barrel of the gun, maybe there's an ammo-loading "chute" built into the side that's a weak point for the player to attack. Put some extra, more "normally-sized" (read: still pretty preposterous) guns on the slopes so there's a threat that doesn't deal automatically-lethal amounts of damage.

Ah, but then you do enough damage, so the boss leaves stealth mode. The slopes of the volcano crumble, revealing even more guns underneath! And runways to launch airplanes!

And when you blow all of that up the main gun pops off of its mount and starts tracking you directly on a colossal turret! With a laser sight. And a bayonet.

I feel like my goal for the bosses in this game, at least conceptually, should be to take it to 12. Where 10 is pushing the limits of good taste, 11 is really absurd, and 12 is the player is actively having trouble with the controls because they can't believe the poo poo I'm pulling.

The volcano's contribution should be entirely defensive, because everyone knows Hawaii has shield volcanoes

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

I'm amazed that you were able to pull it off, and I'm glad you're reaping some well-earned benefits.

I have no idea how you'd go about making a platformer or FPS or practically any realtime videogame blind-accessible. So many games depend on your ability to quickly read subtle visual cues and make decisions that rely heavily on your immediate situation (like, exactly how far are you from that ledge, or that doorway, and in exactly which direction?). About the best I think I can hope for is making my game accessible to people with limited mobility. I think I can pull that off by having options for autofire, some navigational assistance (basic terrain avoidance, the same stuff the AI uses), and of course permissive difficulty levels.

I do someday want to try making an echolocation game where there's no graphics at all, or the graphics are just a visual representation of the sound effects, so the game's accessible to the blinddeaf. It sounds like a fun design challenge, but it'd require way better SFX chops than I have currently.

it's possible to play CoD while blind, just more difficult. there's a blind guy who streams it

https://www.engadget.com/2018/08/02/blind-call-of-duty-player-thousands-of-kills/

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

That's amazing. But it's also an example of someone overcoming disability to play a game that wasn't made with them in mind, whereas the game I'm imagining would be equally accessible to just about everyone.

Yeah, but could be a good place to start looking at gameplay ideas, since there's apparently a blind-playable subset of CoD. Using bullet sfx to figure out where you are is an interesting mechanic. Might be neat to do a mockup with the doom engine.

Seems like blind and deaf accessibility are gonna be mutually exclusive, tho, given the limits of what a computer can output, unless you want to do something really gimmicky with a rumble controller.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Botw would be better if
A) making the unique recipes were ever a good use of food items
B) if learning a recipe would let you fastcraft it
C) if that stupid gerudo soup recipe that npcs discuss and you have to puzzle out the ingredients for had some sort of use, like showing it to a npc or something, instead its just a way to waste ingredients with special effects

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

I'm just making something for my own personal amusement, and the fsct that the framerate drops from 140 fps to 4 fps when my laptop unplugs from the wall just means i need yo keep it plugged in.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

I thought this was an interesting dissection of how water was rendered in mario galaxy 2.

https://youtu.be/8rCRsOLiO7k

Its pretty simple but the end result looks quite nice.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

didn't he scale down to just like, a meta-tetris game

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

KillHour posted:

Even if it did have enough energy to move the ship, the guns being above the water line would make the ship roll over and capsize.

Not if they were pointing in exactly opposite directions!

Then it would just put a torque across the entire battleship, and if that's enough force to turn it, you'd have entirely different problems than capsizing.
:byoscience:

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Doing UI design is exactly like training an animal, you have to make the behavior(s) you want be the only possible ones your test subject can take.

The valve portal commentary is really good to go through with.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Ghetto SuperCzar posted:

I'm not really good at the whole Art thing... but I do have fun using Medium for Oculus. However, that generates a lot of really detailed models, which kind of clashes with the idea of using pixel art sprites for other assets. Anyone have a good strategy for making things look more... jank?

something like this?

https://twitter.com/roadrunning01/status/1181377510455615488

https://twitter.com/jonathanfly/status/1181384425726238720

sadly they don't have their code up yet tho

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

N-N-N-NINE BREAKER posted:

There's an rpgmaker bundle on humble bundle, has anyone tried these before? If I just want to make something really simple are the 8 or 15$ tiers worth it?
I only have experience with MV, but...

Rpgm has a bit of a stink to it if you use the default assets and UI, since it's really easy to poo poo out a bad game with little effort and so people come in with a level of prejudice. The JavaScript-based engine also isn't super optimized, so if you want to use the built-in deploy as a phone app doing relatively simple special effects and filters or having tons of moving events on the overworld might cause performance issues.

That said, the engine is totally open source, and fully customizable, the community has made plugins for basically everything you can think of, and debugging is a hell of a lot easier when other people are familiar with the engine itself. And using an interpreted language is slower in terms of processing, but also means that you can debug it live (IIRC, big gamemaker or unity projects can take forever to compile, while RPGM can just instantly start and test).

If you want to make something reasonably JRPG shaped, it's worth at least using rpgm as a rough draft (like the Barkley 1 guys did)

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Sailing themed tasks as well. Climbing a knotted rope, swimming, rigging the mainsail, rowing a boat...

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

A bit of musing about writing and, uh, narrative reward systems? I guess? I'm working on the high-level plot for my boat game, and I'm trying to figure out how victorious the player should be up until the endgame. Broadly speaking, the structure here is:
  • Get your rear end kicked and run away in the Pacific (USA west coast)
  • Have some successful battles in the Atlantic (USA east coast) but your land-based support evaporates, so go to Europe.
  • ??? in Europe (plenty of mission ideas, but the ??? is for how it's structured narratively)
  • Head back to Pacific for final confrontations.

Now, one way I could structure this is that the player is always on the losing side. They're constantly winning battles, but losing the war, in other words -- their individual efforts aren't sufficient to turn the tide. In each chapter, you arrive in a new location to find that it's only slightly less embattled than the last one, you do some missions, buy some time (and are heartily thanked by NPCs for said time), but ultimately it's futile and you have to move on. I feel like this could help make the story feel more desperate and the stakes feel higher -- the player's safe harbors keep getting overrun and they keep having to run away, until by the time of the final confrontation it's literally just them hauling rear end towards the final boss and hoping they can clutch out a win before the unstoppable tide of enemy forces annihilates them.

On the other hand, I'd worry that players would get annoyed if they aren't allowed meaningful victories over the course of the game. If everything you accomplish is always undone then it's hard to keep up motivation, you know? The common alternative approach is to let every victory the player makes stay -- you roam around, converting troubled areas into peaceful, secured areas, and the enemies just wait for you to show up. I've always felt that makes the overall stakes much lower -- "OK, the war's won here forever, time to move on to the next country". But it does give the player plenty of wins.

Given that I can't really do a dynamic/reactive story (i.e. the player has no control over the narrative), what are y'all's thoughts?

(NB losing the USA is pretty well decided at this point; there needs to be something important to rescue)

if it's a fighting retreat, then an easy way to show the player's progress is to have the player amass a huge fleet over the course of the game, picking up more and more ships at each place where you break the blockade and rescue them. So yeah narratively things are going bad, but you have all these ships now, and you're personally in a bigger ship

And by the endgame you aren't serving in the fleet, you are the fleet

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

I figured out how to do hit detection with particle-based bullets, so I no longer have to worry about slowdown with absurd bullets on screen :toot:

Now to code even more elaborate bullet patterns.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Well historically naval wargames ranked armor types, so for example 'first class' armor is the best, and then second class is slightly worse, third class is subpar, et cetera, et cetera, until a totally unarmored ship has tenth class armor, which then turned into armor class 10, which is how we ended up with lower armor classes being better and the abomination of thac0

so in conclusion totally ignore all that bullshit

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

quote:

XT9YZ-WRCFT-IVQQ9
Grabbed this, will try it out!

EDIT: Welp, it crashes right after the 'controller is advised' screen, the moment it starts turning from black to gray

Tunicate fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Dec 7, 2019

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Okay it ran successfully the second time :shrug:

EDIT: Not sure how to join a game? The quick join just seems to stay on the searching for server page forever, and pressing space to host my own doesn't seem to do anything?

Tunicate fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Dec 7, 2019

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Have any of you played with those anime/toon shaders in the Unity Asset Store? I am assume I don't just install it and get instant waifus.

instant waifus is more of an artbreeder thing.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Whybird posted:

I'm going one step further with my current project and making a comedy "near-impossible to defeat, probably not even fun, what the hell are you thinking even trying this" difficulty that's tuned to be too hard for the developer.

I've been kicking around the idea of having a 'hardcore' mode which just makes the QoL way worse and does nothing else.

So for instance your overworld speed is halved, your inventory no longer stacks, enemies only drop crafting components which have to be crafted into the items they'd usually drop (so instead of getting a copper sword you get a Copper Sword Blade, a Copper Sword Hilt, and a Copper Sword Pommel which have to be assembled into a Pommelless Copper Sword and then a plain Copper Sword), et cetera et cetera.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Whybird posted:

Then add a super-hardcore mode which requires you to enter your personal details before it will run, and has a 10% chance per hour played of logging into Gmail and calling your grandma a bitch.

Ah yes the Social Permadeath difficulty setting

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

ZombieApostate posted:

Forsooth, roll your own is dumb! Stitch together your eldrich frankenstein horror out of the dismembered parts of other people's work, I say!

that's my approach and I'm sticking by it

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

for unrelated reasons I am disabling the pause menu in all boss fights, as it has an unfortunate tendency to delete every bullet onscreen.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Also, so long as the player is solo, friendly fire can help hurt the AI in what can ideally be a very cinematic way.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Note that programming your AI to be inaccurate can be surprisingly difficult. IIRC Perfect Dark ran into the problem that they made hard bots perfectly accurate, and easy bots bad aims. So far, so good, but there were explosive AOE weapons that arced, and the easy bot "inaccuracy" ended up making them lead their shots and be way more dangerous with those weapons than the hard bots.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Not gonna lie i always associate magical realism with "fantasy but i am too much of a Serious Author to deign to write Genre" and "everyone is apathetic towards any fantastical elements"

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Cover it up with a little half second animation when you save.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Running checks when a gun is placed isn't really adequate, because the layout may change around the gun after it's placed, changing how it can fire.

Are you talking about adding non-gun components? I thought this was just tacking new guns onto a static ship model

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

I have 98 ship parts at the moment, only 43 of which are weapons -- the rest are mostly bridges, smokestacks, and miscellaneous superstructure. A "bare" ship looks something like this:

They're pretty much blank canvases for you to sprinkle with whatever parts suit your fancy. (I have 15 ship hulls currently; this is a cruiser hull, specifically the Hawkins-class)

Here's dynamically drawing the current firing angles for a pair of guns. The underlying implementation is hideously inefficient, but doesn't produce noticeable lag on this very simple ship.

https://i.imgur.com/fiVbnOc.mp4

so, maybe this is dumb, but if you're testing every gun against every object on the ship once, why don't you check each individual object's collision with the guns whenever it gets placed? At the end of ship creation you will have tested each and every object/gun pair

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

The problem is perhaps less of what happens if a gun is added, but rather what happens if a gun is removed.

Check when its removed using the same algorithm to see what it interferes with, then recalculate those specific guns.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

great!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

well it turns out the reason my enemies weren't playing their death animations properly was because death made them stationary enough that it thought it was trying to do an idle animation instead