Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Reflect could have a certain % chance of reflecting, so any loop would stop eventually when the reflect failed. Or the attack could become slightly weaker on each reflection, either by just weakening the attack or by leaking a bit of damage to the character doing the reflection. Or some combination. This could pave the way to some kind of reflect skill level or item level or whatever, or just provide tuning knobs for balancing reflection.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Juc66 posted:

Soooooo ... make something.
At worst it'll suck and be a good learning experience.

And make something can be a really simple thing like "draw random shapes on the screen until a key is pressed" or "print out the location of the mouse when it moves". Of course, you won't know how to do everything you want, so you will need to fire up google and do some reading. If you feel like you can't make any progress, put your project aside and start an even simpler project.

Try to avoid just wholesale copying of code without understanding it, but it can be really helpful to use someones example code as a template that you can expand on.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

shs posted:

compiling in debug mode your texture sizes are going to be bloated
You aren't kidding. Those are some impressive savings!

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Peewi posted:

Got some screenshake going on.

Also graphics stolen from a game I'm ripping off.

I haven't seen Flying Power Disc in awhile! Used to love playing that on NeoGeo back in the day. Are you trying to clone it or just making something similar?

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

DeathBySpoon posted:

READY

SET

MOW

You can play what I've got of this dumb lawnmower game here. Gonna flesh it out a bunch tomorrow but I'm pretty happy with the basic feel. Looks like something broke the percent counter on the web build, though.

Awesome, I used to play this lawn mowing game when I was a kid and I'd totally play one now, too. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ae5mJ9wI5aA

Played a bit, it is hard a poo poo to control but I got the hang of it eventually.

taqueso fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Dec 6, 2014

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

I like more colors, you can still pay homage without sticking to the limitations exactly. Without the blue, your palette is black/white/brown/brown/brown/brown/browngreen, a bit yuck.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Winty posted:

Hey guys, I'm working on a tank game! It's HTML5, multiplayer, and based on a similar game you might remember if you played mac games in the 90s. The netcode can still be a bit jankity especially when first starting, sorry, but otherwise it seems stable for now. Of course I'm sure now the server will crash about 15 seconds after I post this. Check it out if you like http://tankwar2000.com/

Ohh this looks cool. OK played it a bit, it is awesome! We played so much Bolo in computer lab. But, how do I shoot stuff?

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Winty posted:

Thanks! Hold space is shoot. I have already learned many things in the last 5 minutes such as there should be instructions for that, the map is too big, there should be a team list, and it is not stable at all oh god

It works! I guess I expected the first shot to happen right away, not after waiting a few seconds. Anyway, this is pretty loving great. You even have boats, I forgot about them :)

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Saw this on HN: Doc about scrolling in games, way more detailed than I expected. And the video

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Pretty sure that should be 'nose'. http://www.wired.com/2015/04/reduce-vr-sickness-just-add-virtual-nose/

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

N0data posted:

A space management game I've been working on. You drag the commands into the robot icons and send them to do tasks around the ship.

Sounds cool. Does it work sortof like roborally?

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

SupSuper posted:

So the trick is to just use social networks as usual and if you get some Reddittor's attention they'll probably post about it for you, and then you can just comment on that instead.
Everyone is always super stoked to see a game dev show up to a thread about their game, too.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Allan Alcorn did all the hard work decades ago, everything since then is just a reskin.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

It is pretty drat dark, but I kindof like that it is feeling nice and creepy.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

ThePhotoshop posted:

So I have a new build of my elemental stealth platformer, Wildfire, that I'd love some feedback on: https://www.dropbox.com/s/9bmibjhjz9mcx3n/wildfire_alpha_augustv0.zip?dl=0

20MB, Windows. Press F4 or alt-enter to go fullscreen.

This is fun so far, how far am I supposed to carry the friend that I rescued? Just until the next checkpoint turns blue?

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

WaterIsPoison posted:

Dumb skeletons are really dumb.

The lighting is starting to look really good.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Mr Underhill posted:

56k warning and all that - finally got some parallax up in this sumbitch. For some reason the gif recorder sped this up to yakety sax levels, and characters' relative sizes are still off due to us still loving around in Texture Packer.

Now on to making the main character and the cat correctly overlap, which I'm being told will be a bitch to pull off.

I thought your character was Jake from the old Jake's Booty Call flash games for a minute there

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

mutata posted:

Anyone have an Oculus? An "Oculus Rift Gameboy Emulator" where you sit in a virtual car's back seat at night and virtually hold a 3d gameboy and play games in 2d on the screen while trying to grab street light light juust right...

Maybe it could be done cheaply with Google Cardboard?

Shalinor posted:

Am I the only one that had the light attachment? That thing was awesome, worked great.

That's DLC

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Shalinor posted:

Talk to Dana at Spoke & Wheel Strategy. It still won't be cheap (you're looking at $500 to $3k or more, depending), but she's honest, and very good at what she does. She might at least be able to point you elsewhere, if her rates are too high, or work out some cut-rate simple services deal.

From my dealings with PR/advertising in a different industry, this seems really cheap.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Omi no Kami posted:

So I love that thing where you spend days agonizing over the logic of how to implement something, then when you finally have it down and open your code, you find that you made it so modular and extensible in advance that it only takes a couple of minutes to add what you spent ages slaving over.

Sure beats discovering that it will take days to refactor your code to add in what you spent ages slaving over.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

TomR posted:

I made a really simple game to try out Twine.

Go to Lunch

That's ready for greenlight, imo

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

I want to dig tunnels with a pet chicken!

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Mystery: The Game

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

From Earth posted:

I spent most of yesterday piecing together over 1600 screenshots recorded during almost seven hours of gameplay. The result is a time-lapse video of a 1000-piece puzzle in my upcoming jigsaw game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3e-NGbq1xq8

This looks pretty neat and I didn't think I'd like the idea of a virtual jigsaw puzzle when I started the video.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

It reminds me of the PS2 spiderman game(s), in a good way. Riding webs through the city was great fun. The rest of that game wasn't so great.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Atoramos posted:

Been getting Skeet: VR Target Shooting ready for release. Things are going well, and we're just about set up for Steam. Shot some footage tonight that's going to get cut down into a trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rbxBB__8vnM

This looks pretty neat. I don't know a lot about VR, what are the controls? I like the weapon controls and it seems like everything is fairly realistic. But, it would be nice if it was juiced up a bit. Some spark particles or flashing neon hit indicators or something. I can see stuff being hit but it doesn't feel very spectacular.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Atoramos posted:

The controls are actually displayed at the start, hovering around the controller. Left hand calls 'Pull' and spawns ammo/grabs pump, right hand opens gun/shoots.

re: Juice: Yea, I'm no artist and it's really hurting us. Our environment could be spruced up too but, we've got a week and get to decide on adding another nice gun, mode, or juice...

The sounds for hitting the metal targets doesn't seem right. Check out some of hickok45's videos, when he hits the metal plates they really ring out.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

supermikhail posted:

Yeah. Although in my case it's possible for the player to look at the animals for unlimited time, if they wish. I thought it would be a nice touch to add blinking. But I'm probably going to redo this model several times yet (not to mention possibly remove the extended admiration mode), so it's not big issue yet.

I think it would be a very nice touch if there aren't performance considerations.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

KRILLIN IN THE NAME posted:

little while ago I realised if I slow a game down to 30fps and record with gooncam (max 30fps record) I can just half the delay and get silk smooth 60fps gifs

Tell me you are making a frog unicycling game.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Frog should get fatter and fatter as he eats. But he keeps shrinking because he is so hungry, and you just have to keep eating more.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Is it possible to have the right arm punches go behind the enemy sprite? Seems like that might actually be pretty be hard to do. Also, it would be amazing if the enemy's head got knocked back a little when punched.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

That gif is great, I want to play that.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Corbeau posted:

I made a fantasy map generator as part of my (failed) Big Awful Jam entry.

It produces results I'm quite happy with, and I've made an effortpost about the techniques used. I would appreciate it dearly if anyone here had feedback to give. I might turn this into an actual game yet, so if there are things I could or should do better I'd love to hear about it.

I have to put your blogpost aside at the moment, but I wanted to say that the map looks gorgeous and I would love to play a game that used it.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

John F Bennett posted:

I see a lot of people on my Twitter developing for pico-8. I actually just heard about it for the first time only recently.

Does anyone have any experience with this? Is it fun? Because it seems like fun to me.

I'm sure it is fun. Chip8 is fun and this looks like a modern vision of what chip8 was for.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Drone posted:

Let's break some fuckin' bricks.

I'm gonna hold off on starting another clone since this one is functionally "done", and instead spend the weekend juicing this as far as I can, just to see what's possible.

I started off already by upping the laser speed, but I hit an issue where I guess the lasers were moving at a speed that was greater than the room's refresh speed (set to the default 30), and so the lasers were skipping over blocks. At least that's what I assume the issue was. So note to self, set room speed for 60 in the future instead of 30.

This is really drat fun guys.

Well, that was quick. Nice job.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

LordSaturn posted:

It's not juiced until the drat screen shakes. :colbert:

The new thing is shaking the screen all the time and only stop shaking when things blow up. Negative-shake.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

How long is the game and how many times do you expect people to play the game? Respec'ing is a bigger deal in a AAA cinematic FPS-RPG that the typical person will playthrough once, versus a roguelike where even casual players will play dozens of times and have a lot of opportunities to learn from their mistakes.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Omi no Kami posted:

So I know culinary puns do not a tough detective make, but now I'm dearly tempted to make an egg metaphor and instead of easy/normal/hard, have Soft, Tepid, and Hard Boiled. (A violence-oriented build can be called the Deviled route. Pacifist/intellectual detective is sunny side up.)

You forgot Raw, but that sounds like a great idea.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

The White Dragon posted:

so like "enemy that can attack you" and "attacks that can hit it" is basically all you need to make the rest of a game right :v:
That was the mantra of the last 24 hours of my octojam entry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Just add some chiptunes and palette shifting and you are halfway to a demo.