Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Ghost Head posted:

I've been interested in text adventure games lately but some of the ideas I have don't seem possible using the Inform 7 game maker. Just simple things like playing a song in the background or having a different font or display. Is it difficult to learn to program text adventures for someone with no programming knowledge? I'm guessing the text parser might be difficult.

Guilded Youth was written in Inform 7 with the Vorple frontend. This seems to suit your needs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

evilentity posted:

Unity is kill.

Nah. They have different niches.

Crytek, on the other hand...

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Game Programming Patterns, perhaps?

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Mr Underhill posted:

No problem. The main character is very Charlie Sheen-y, so I figured that would irk some people, definitely saw that coming. I thought long and hard whether to have him sport a smug smile all the time or not, and thought about balancing it out with a very soothing voice... I guess we'll see where it goes from here.

Generally speaking, making your main character an unlikable smug douchebag is not a great idea, even though a lot of adventure developers who are making 'old-school adventure games' seem to be oddly obsessed with it.

Also, if you have two verbs, use and look, why the gently caress do you have a separate menu for them instead of just going left-click use, right-click look and wasting less of player's time?

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Mr Underhill posted:

Yeah man, we love us some tropes, I'm the first to admit it. In my defense, I do intend to turn it on its head a little.

Well, uh, good luck.

quote:

No but seriously, it's probably one of those I-won't-let-go-of-my-childhood things, or adventure gamers' predilection for masochism, but I always love it when that verb coin pops up, and if you notice, in games that give you the left click right click thing, you really tend to ignore the right click. I think it's why Broken Age went the single-click way, and it's the single thing I really dislike about that game. What I love about adventures is exploring, and giving "examine" a visual representation I feel nudges you a little in that direction.

Actually no, I don't notice. I examine everything compulsively. I've asked a few online friends and if they actually play adventure games, so do they. How the gently caress do you even beat an adventure game if you don't examine poo poo? I'm pretty sure it's just you.

The coin (or, even worse, the right-click to cycle through verbs) in a PC adventure game that's less than twenty years old, on the other hand, guarantees that I will not play it. Yeah, you need a coin on the tablet version, Wadjet Eye added one to all their iOS ports, but even Broken Age had different UI settings available between tablets and PC. (Drag items to spot vs click item then click spot, for ex.) I mean, it could just be me who's picky about basic quality of life UI poo poo, so, again, good luck?

Megazver fucked around with this message at 18:57 on May 15, 2015

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
I dunno, man. It's kinda subtle. Could you make it blink?

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Ekster posted:

I want to make games just for fun, I have no intention of making money out of it and I'll mostly do everything myself. Naturally I'm not thinking about doing anything ambitious, just something to test some ideas of mine. I've tried Unity out a couple of years ago but it was bit too complex for my purposes. I don't have a problem with doing some minor programming but I'd much rather focus on the visual and audio stuff.

Given the above GameMaker seems to be my best bet, right? It doesn't necessarily have to be a 2D engine.

Gunpoint's Tom Francis has been doing GameMaker tutorials on Youtube. I'm halfway through what he currently has available and it's a pretty fun way to learn.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Omi no Kami posted:

So this is a weird consideration, but is there any way to incentivize daily activities without sims-style bars? I'm trying to go for zero or near-zero UI, and balancing bars isn't fun, but I really don't like that without the life sim component your character has no motivation to eat, use the bathroom, shower, change his clothes, or really do anything that flesh and blood humans do- he's basically robocop at this point, spending all his waking hours chasing the guilty.

I can make that work, but I'd really prefer to work out at least a rudimentary economy for daily life.

Why, though?

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Or you could just do what every other narrative does and imply it's being done in-between the interesting bits, because, y'know, if it wasn't tedious bullshit it would actually be one of the interesting bits.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Omi no Kami posted:

Thank you for the vote of confidence! :)

It's really frustrating in a way, because I have way more programming skill than this time last year, to the point that 70-80% of the remaining features are going to be trivial to implement, but getting the actual investigation gameplay down is slow going- as far as I can tell nobody else has done a genuinely challenging procedural mystery system, so there's not very much other material to draw from. I think I almost have it down to something fun, but I still need to shave what I've got down to get rid of excessive iteration/menu juggling, and make sure it's genuinely enjoyable to close case after case with.

Procedural mystery as in the genre or as in randomly generated crimes? What games with investigation have you played?

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Omi no Kami posted:

Procedural mystery as in randomly generated crimes, there are plenty of great detective procedurals (as in, crime-themed action/adventure games), but I find that the ones I enjoy the most tend to benefit from going with a linear storyline & caseload, which gives writers the chance to sculpt and really refine both the mysteries, and the overall story.

Over the last three months I've gone through LA Noire, some of the Sherlock Holmes stuff, the Phoenix Wright games that focus on the investigation aspect, Life Is Strange (which is more pure adventure than investigation, but there's a whodunnit component pervading the main storyline), Sam & Max, Still Life, and even Deadly Premonition. Vanishing of Ethan Carter is next on the list, but the problem all of these share is that with the exception of LA Noire, they're basically great story games with investigation as a frame to hang the narrative on, and even including LA Noire, the actual gameplay involved in solving mysteries is often some variation of "Find shiny object, interact with shiny object, get a new conversation prompt".

I am skeptical about being able to create an engaging game where procedurally generated mysteries are the main gameplay, but eh, whatever. You might want to check out Noir Syndrome, An Act of Murder, Make It Good, Toby's Nose, and David Gilbert's games [url=http://www.wadjeteyegames.com/games/](the Blackwell series and The Shivah).

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

RabbitWizard posted:

Thanks, trying it out right now. Seems promising. I'll report back.

I'm almost done working through Tom Francis' (Gunpoint, Heat Signature) GameMaker tutorial series and he's pretty good at it. That's what I recommend you check out. There are also other GameMaker tutorials on Youtube that have been recommended to me but I haven't tried any of them yet, so if you search for them, you'll know as much about them as me.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Omi no Kami posted:

I've actually been playing through Persona 4 lately- it informs a lot of things in my design (it convinced me to shift from a literal 24-hour clock to a vague circular "Here's where the day/night cycle is at"), and it hits the exact balance of time management I want (thought without pressure), but I'm actually finding that the real world is an example of how not to do it- once I know its layout, navigating the town isn't fun- I make liberal use of the fast travel system, because in most cases my thinking isn't "Let's go to the flood plain and see what's happening," it's "Okay, I need to visit the velvet room, the armor store, and the school roof before evening, how do I do all three with the fewest loading screens and travel time possible?"

I just beat Sherlock Holmes Crimes & Punishments a couple of weeks ago and although the environments were nice, I found myself thinking I would have preferred that the game used the Phoenix Wright screens instead, for speed.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Unormal posted:

Here's my spiffily-edited IRDC 2015 presentation on the 10 year development of the engine behind Qud and Sproggiwood: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U03XXzcThGU

It's mostly targeted at people just getting started and having problems getting off the ground.

It's so awful watching yourself speak. :gonk:

I decided to check out Sproggiwood after watching this. I'm not a big roguelike fan but I've spent the last two days slaughtering jellies, goats and spiders when I should have been doing other poo poo. It's a fantastic game.

It actually made me interested in trying Caves of Qud. Do you actually have any timeline on the sexy Steam version?

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Unormal posted:

I've been saying 4-6 weeks for a few weeks... so... 4-6 weeks? Basically "Whenever we're ready but we're fairly close"

Sounds good.

Also, tips?

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Black slimes have to be dealt with very carefully; don't kill them unless you'll be able to move across their slime to clear it (or I guess unless you know you'll have access to the stairs shortly).

Yeah, I know. I've beat the game on Normal.

quote:

I'm guessing this is Savage mode? I should probably try that out at some point; looks fun. :v:

Protip: in a situation like this, Cleave, not Dervish.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Omi no Kami posted:

That's actually not far off from something I've been thinking about : I'm not letting myself work on this until every core feature is done, because it smells suspiciously like a rabbit hole to get lost in, but I've been wondering if it wouldn't be easiest to write down 5-10 generic personalities (angry, cowardly, courageous, stupid, etc), and write variants of high-detail dialogue for each personality. Then you just assign a personality to each NPC, and when they get a line it checks how they should deliver it.

That still sounds really sketchy though, enough that I'm going to explore how far I can go without any dialog first.

Frankly, you should either go no dialogue or everything handcrafted. The inbetween will inevitably suck poo poo.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Noyemi K posted:

I miss the cRPGs of "Specialize or Die!" that allowed you to experiment with playstyles to find the best or most fun. I don't want to be the master of everything, I have real life for that (:thurman:)

This is terrible design for terrible people. :colbert: In RPGs you want to either a) have a party of people with different competencies who, in a group, have overlap in everything or b) in a single character RPG you want to either be able to beat the game by specializing in any branch you want and doing the plot or to get good at everything you want by being an obsessive completionist.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

hailthefish posted:

Is it weird that I REALLY WANT to play horsies create horrifying horse-beasts now?

You're in luck. This game actually exists and it's good.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Forer posted:

Original the game do not steal.

There I said it now it's illegal to steal it, I said the magic words!!!!

Hey guys I've been working on my new game for a while now, here's a gif:

What do you guys think?

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Forer posted:

Looks beautiful, Can I join your team? I know how to bake cakes and I'm potty trained

Fine but you'd better pull your weight.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
I disgusted by how all dads and kids are the same species.

There'd better be some dwarf and orc dads in the final game.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

KRILLIN IN THE NAME posted:

Can't promise dwarf and orcs, but I can promise Witcher dad and drowners

these are not actually in the game

Wow, way to mock Geralt's infertility. You monster.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
I appreciate fast travel, as long as you have to actually work for it and the world is designed to not be a pain in the rear end without it, like in the first Dark Souls and in the first two Gothic games.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Nition posted:

I actually now think he's lying about working for them since, well, why would you post something like this about your own company's game?

Yeah, he just seems like a weirdo. Admittedly, he says he works "with" them. So he could be, like, a contract janitor?

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Hammer Bro. posted:

Do it. I remember stumbling across an English translation of RPG Maker 95 when I was like twelve and it wasn't too hard to churn out something default, generic, and oh-so-blissfully mine.

Also, if you want to improve your writing abilities, Creative Convention actually has a wonderful system for that in the Thunderdome. Too-short deadlines, criticism from grumpy strangers, and the fear of failing an anonymous collective are all incredibly good (albeit intimidating) mechanisms for improvement.

Don't debate this kind of stuff; dive right in. The satisfaction that comes from pursuing one's dreams is downright nourishing. Merely intending to do things is no substitute.

There's also the Gamerdome which is in this very subforum and could use a few more participants.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Nuts, Bolts, Wheels, Guns: Scraps Is Out Now on Rock Paper Shotgun

gratz

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

retro sexual posted:

\o/ cool! Don't think we have a thread. Remember to write a steam user review! We're at 75% which is 'mostly positive'; getting over 80% makes it 'positive'.

Total Biscuit just did a WTF on your game, btw.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Unormal posted:

It's been a lot like Sproggiwood so far, though it's getting better word of mouth, so we'll see how it goes.

Do you have, like, any mentions of Sproggiwood in the game or on the Steam page? A "Hey, we also have a great roguelite game perfect for beginners!" splash page or something?

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
http://geekandsundry.com/co-optitude-guild-of-dungeoneering/

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Aneurexorcyst posted:

Reckon my game might be too low fi or the wrong genre for Steam?

Personally, I get a feeling that if you're working on a platformer or a runner or a metroidvania right now, you're like three years too late to the party. It'll get in, because pretty much everyone gets in these days, but there's a glut and an exhaustion now and much higher-budget games sell jack poo poo.

PS http://www.gamasutra.com/blogs/DanielWest/20150908/253040/Good_isnt_good_enough__releasing_an_indie_game_in_2015.php

Megazver fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Sep 9, 2015

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Karthe posted:

Thanks to the Humble Bundle deal I finally have the tools I need to make a legitimate Android game. I know exactly what kind of game I want to make, but I've never used GameMaker before. Can you guys point me in the direction of some tutorials that'll help me get the basics down? I'm no stranger to programming but I have zero experience with game programming.

Tom Francis, the guy who made Gunpoint, made a pretty good GameMaker tutorial. After that, try Shaun Spalding, HeartBeast or Making Games 101. There's also a few books and paid video courses.

Megazver fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Sep 20, 2015

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
For the many text adventure writers crowded like sardines in the tight confines of this thread:

Ryan Veeder, author of IFCOMP winner Taco Fiction and other stuff, has announced the inauguration of Ryan Veeder Exposition for Good Interactive Fiction, a competition for games specifically written to please Ryan Veeder and designed to improve his quality of life by getting you to dance for his amusement like the monkeys that you are*.

This is a legit contest and there are monetary prizes. Check it out.

*my wording, not his

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Fina posted:

I'm at the point where I feel like I have something cool to show off for my game. It's built in Construct 2 so you can play it right in your browser if you have about 10 or 15 minutes free, just be sure to read the controls first: Play me!

I like it. Feels quite polished already. The climbing up animation is sweet. (I do think you could make it even faster. The speed is just on the right side of acceptable but you can never make platformer animations too quick.)

I did think the brunette was a dude, though.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Triarii posted:

"Hiding important information from players will make them seek out and create online communities to uncover and share that information, which is good for the long-term health of a game."

Well... hiding important information about gameplay? No. That said, Undertale clearly shows that planting poo poo for players to uncover as a meta-game after they've beaten the game works.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

retro sexual posted:

I wrote up a pretty long post on TIGSource about Guild of Dungeoneering and streamers and how we got through to them:
https://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=36421.msg1214774#msg1214774

A good companion read about Punch Club:

http://www.polygon.com/2016/1/14/10767458/we-made-a-livestream-ignored-the-press-and-created-a-successful-indie

And hey, you hung out with Jesse and Dodger. I am envious. They seem like really nice, fun people.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
The scripting language Inkle uses for their titles like 80 Days and Sorcery! is now open-source and ready to plug into Unity:

http://www.inklestudios.com/ink/

They also recorded a podcast talking about it:

https://soundcloud.com/inklestudios/ink-now-open-source

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
The site for Adventure Jam 2016 is live. It's gonna take place in May and our very own Gaspy Conana is one of the judges.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Wrote my first game ever:

http://www.philome.la/captainperson/fatherhood-simulator-2016

Twine turns out to be quite easy to use. I spent more time on making it look not-poo poo with CSS than I did writing the game itself. I highly recommend it to anyone who wants who dip their toes into writing storygames.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Cheston posted:

Here it is. I really like the aesthetic (especially in motion) and I'm wondering how it would work in VR.

Personally I found it very pretty on screenshots but unplayable in practice. It's like swimming in shader pea soup.