Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GetWellGamers
Apr 11, 2006

The Get-Well Gamers Foundation: Touching Kids Everywhere!

Ularg posted:

What's a good way for a beginner composer to just start throwing himself at indie projects?

I run/mentor the game development club at the local university, and we'd love to have another composer available for the teams. Doubly so if you've got any experience with foley work. PM me and let's talk. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GetWellGamers
Apr 11, 2006

So, out of curiosity, anyone ever submitted a game to the IGF, student or pro?

GetWellGamers
Apr 11, 2006

Well, okay, can you go into it a bit? I mean, do you just submit and it flies off into the void? Do you gt any kind of feedback on its status before february, or what?

Any details would be helpful.

GetWellGamers
Apr 11, 2006

The big rule change I saw was that you couldn't submit, sell your game, and then re-submit. But I think that's just an extension of the "You can only be a finalist once" rule, both of which I think were a more or less direct response to Fez.

GetWellGamers
Apr 11, 2006

Spritesheet Sunday? Heck, I'm game.

(Timg'd for table-breakage)

GetWellGamers
Apr 11, 2006

So, the deadline for IGF submissions is in 9 days, and we've got what I think is a pretty solid entry, but even so, any way I can conscript a few goons to play through the latest build and give feedback? I'll PM the link if you say yes, or otherwise give me some means to send you the link... :shobon:

GetWellGamers
Apr 11, 2006

Figures everyone says yes right after I go to bed.

Oddx posted:

Is this for the student submissions? Main comp deadline was the 17th. Either way would be happy to give feedback!

Yes, it's for the student version. Funny thing, since the team is half students and half alumni, we checked and it's actually okay for us to enter both. We got in main comp on the 17th, and we're gonna update out main judging build on the 31st when we submit our student one, too.

In any case, PMs sent, don't hold back!

GetWellGamers
Apr 11, 2006

Sent!

And hey, even if you guys don't have much time to play, just installing it and seeing if it opens is good testing, too. Compatability cannot be underrated, if the player can't lay your game you lose no matter how good it is. Just a "Yup, it runs" is good feedback. :shobon:

GetWellGamers
Apr 11, 2006

Haha, wow, six hundred entries for IGF this year? Glad I'm still able to get in on the student showcase... :arghfist::smith:

GetWellGamers
Apr 11, 2006

BizarroAzrael posted:

I was thinking of doing gently caress This Jam myself.

gently caress this Jam sounds great, but I like so many different kinds of games I think if I participated I'd be limited to... sports games? And maybe racing- well, no, I like Burnout and mario kart... Uh... farmville-knockoffs?

It's hard to do a genre you hate when you love almost everything. v:shobon:v

GetWellGamers
Apr 11, 2006

SSH IT ZOMBIE posted:

Welp. I'm tossing the level I made, I got the game sort of in a playable state, had a couple people try it. They got confused and died a lot. Guess I'm going to have to ramp up the difficulty really gradually. It's not a complete waste, the spike traps and difficult pieces I made in the level, I can just remake or use elsewhere. The ideas are there...just not good for a first level I guess.

We are all quite a bit more hardcore than the norm in here, and it's a hard mindset to get out of. A learning cure that seems natural to us looks like The Black Gate to normal/casual gamers, I've had to severely lengthen every tutorial I've ever made once I get it out of the lab and into what might be called "The real world". If you really want to test it out, have a boomer take a spin at it. If they can figure your game out step-by-step, you know you're golden, but it might be worth a "Skip" option for people more like us.

GetWellGamers
Apr 11, 2006

I'd suggest something like the way people were depicted on old travel posters- sharp shapes but soft shading/colors:

http://img0.etsystatic.com/006/0/7291161/il_fullxfull.381349592_e5x3.jpg

Edit: Eeep, tables. Does posting an image url automatically add img tags now or something? :pwn:

GetWellGamers
Apr 11, 2006

Serious Ultima Online flashbacks with that inventory, heh.

GetWellGamers
Apr 11, 2006

Is it supposed to be scary? Because the one on the left looks so incredibly :haw: to me.

GetWellGamers
Apr 11, 2006

Well, I didn't have anything for screenshot saturday or sprite-sheet sunday, so here's something for tindeck Thursday. My composer really busted rear end on this one and I thin it's one of the best tracks, maybe the best track, in the game:

http://tindeck.com/listen/jhdg

GetWellGamers
Apr 11, 2006

Approval+1, they already said what I was going to.

GetWellGamers
Apr 11, 2006

Ulgress posted:

As an artist who regularly freelances for games: Please don't do pixel art games. It's lazy work in this day and age, and it's not something you will enjoy doing as an artist (I assure you). Leave that (in and of itself) perfect art form to the Demo Scene and the 1980's platformers. Follow the style of Braid and Bastion.

I disagree. I think Pixel art is just as much a viable aesthetic as cubism or any other "regressive" art style. Technologically we might've moved past it in terms of capability, but I still think it's a perfectly valid medium to use. Not everything needs to be photo-realistic or even pushing for it, not everything needs to be in 3D, and if someone wants to get good at Pixel art I'd no more discourage them than I would a student of Mark Rothko or Jackson Pollock.

GetWellGamers
Apr 11, 2006

That's always one of the things I've found funny about game development. Creating a particle emitter of swirling kaleidoscopic energy pulses is easy. "Throw poo poo on the ground" is hard.

GetWellGamers
Apr 11, 2006

Since we're talking about colorblindness, http://www.ablegamers.com/ has a bunch of stuff on how to make your games just as accessible to a wide range of audio, visual, and physical handicaps as they are to normal gamers. Even stuff as simple as programmable controls make a huge difference in how dsiabled gamers can play your game.

GetWellGamers
Apr 11, 2006

"When cyber-chavs ruled the world!"

GetWellGamers
Apr 11, 2006

Dunno if this is the right place to say it, or if I'm behind the curve, but I just talked with the E3 organizers today and they're bringing back Kentia Hall!

The Gaming Ghetto lives!! :whatup:

GetWellGamers
Apr 11, 2006

Yeah, like, make the wheels different sizes, throw some jags into the bumper... when I think "scrap" one of the bigges qualities that comes to mind is asymmetry. Your logo looks too clean.

GetWellGamers
Apr 11, 2006

TJChap2840 posted:

How long did that village take, because holy poo poo.

Yeah, I'm already salivating for this and I know next to nothing about it.

GetWellGamers
Apr 11, 2006

ianhamilton_ posted:

Until then though, just search for color blind simulator on your phone, you can get realtime apps that apply the colur blind filters to whatever your camera is displaying, so you can point it at your game and see what it looks like with the various types of colorblindness in realtime.

:aaa:

That is bad-rear end. That should be in every developer's toolkit to ensure accessibility.

GetWellGamers
Apr 11, 2006

This is totally true. I found not only a circle of people to review my work, but one of them was an artist and look a liking to illustrating what he liked. I busted rear end to make stuff just to see the art he would make off it, I'd never have done a tenth of what I've done without that motivation.

GetWellGamers
Apr 11, 2006

Since you lot seem to have your poo poo more or less together when it comes to this stuff and I respect your opinions, would any of you mind looking over my Greenlight Submission and giving any critiques? I don't mean to spam but I'm super nervous, I really want to start out on the right foot.

GetWellGamers
Apr 11, 2006

No, that's exactly the kind of stuff I wanna hear. Fixing/changing now.

GetWellGamers
Apr 11, 2006

Orzo posted:

Unless 'reaching the top' and 'achieving redemption' are actually two totally distinct goals in the game, I might combine that into "...reach the Summit--and your redemption?"

Actually, they are. You can beat the game (Reach the summit) and still screw up story-wise. I put that into "features" on the bottom, adding "Multiple endings" to the "minor features" list at the end, along with language support and achievements.

e: gently caress, quote/edit failure. :eng99:

GetWellGamers
Apr 11, 2006

One of the big things is to avoid trying to teach or test the player too much at once. Something that might sound obvious and reflexive to you and I- say, a running jump over a gap- needs to be taught to the player in steps like, "Jump", "Jump a gap", "Make a running jump", "make a running jump over a gap".

Here's a great breakdown of Super Mario Bros. Level 1-1 and how it teaches the player second by second:

http://screenhog.com/blog/2009/09/02/learning-level-design-mario-bros-1-1/

GetWellGamers
Apr 11, 2006

Reminds me of the old Fantasy Zone games...

GetWellGamers
Apr 11, 2006

Only if you can drift it :black101:

GetWellGamers
Apr 11, 2006

Vankwish posted:

Haha, that's f'ing brilliant. I need that game.

Everyne needs t play Nier, but not for the reason you think. :unsmigghh:

GetWellGamers
Apr 11, 2006

A shock wave from something so insubstantial as an air elemental or a genie seems kinda counter-intuitive. I think you could get the same effect with a quickly-expanding whirlwind on the ground or something when they land.

GetWellGamers
Apr 11, 2006

Oddx posted:

I've had a rough couple of weeks, but I'm back in the groove of things. Here's a late #screenshotsaturday of a hidden effect in the game

Fol-der-ol-der-ol-do, fol-der-ol-der-ol-do...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e8yx4k4tzqE

GetWellGamers
Apr 11, 2006

It's February now, so I'm posting up the link to the GDC Goon Meet thread again:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3529459

We've got a whole side-room rented out, so don't be shy with the reservations. :)

GetWellGamers
Apr 11, 2006

We're a month out from Game Developer's Conference, so I'm going to plug the GDC Goon Meet thread again for reservations. Walk-ins are fine, but it helps to have an "At least this many people are showing up" estimate. I'd like as many goons to be there as possible, it's always a lot of fun.

But don't just take my word for it!

"Last year was hilarious"- Sigma-X

"I'm in. This is consistently good fun."- Star Warrior X

Come join the fun today!

GetWellGamers
Apr 11, 2006

Their predilection is to posting; I assure you the enjoyment is universal.

GetWellGamers
Apr 11, 2006

He's a fine size, but it seems like a very shallow z-space to be fighting in, unless that level's an exception and not the rule.

GetWellGamers
Apr 11, 2006

http://donhodges.com/images/defender/defender_m.png ?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GetWellGamers
Apr 11, 2006

quote:

Yeah, one major problem I have right now is that the jump distance is balanced for the platforming elements but not dodging or headstomping, it feels too floaty for that -- you spend too much time in the air. Not sure what to do about this. I guess I could scale down the platforming elements into smaller jumps, but that would feel like sort of a shame and might limit what I could do in terms of level design. Maybe make jump a charge-up mechanic? Longpress to do a full jump and tap for a small one? I'd love to hear your thoughts on this.

I would definitely recommend tap for hop and press for jump. I've got several puzzles that already rely on that distinction and they're some of the most well-liked for their challenge. And after all, what is combat in a video game than puzzling out "How do I get past this with the least amount of damage?"