Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

The romance between Annette and Maythorn was surprisingly touching for me, and I was really hoping they'd work things out in the end. Especially since I thought Annette telling Jymre she was a lesbian was just a brushoff, I was shocked when she turned out to really be gay. It also made the posters in her apartment make more sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Bringing your thread to a screeching halt, guaranteed.

If I remember right the 'risque' posters were in Fusk's apartment. Or maybe we are thinking of different things.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Interesting about the names, I guess Rosendal shouldn't have been surprised her marriage with Fusk didn't work out. I felt kind of touched at how gleeful he looked when he dropped her to her death, followed by his sad expression after realizing what he'd done. And then Kubrick went into murder-mode and Fusk had more immediate concerns. I really have to agree on how good Thorsby is with facial expressions.

Also, a new biology lesson in the Accidental Space Spy.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

bbf2 posted:

I actually feel a little bad when I read these comics, because his writing is so ingenious but the presentation format (a simplistically drawn MSPaint word comic) feels like its kind of wasting his writing talent and guarantees that it won't be anything more than a niche thing that people discover on the internet. I really hope he gets discovered and is able to create something for Adult Swim or something equivalent like that, or at least is able to form a partnership with a talented comic artist.

Echoing this. He should be designing monsters for any big industry that calls for it. He could hand off a mountain of designs and descriptions to people who choose a few and draw them properly.

take_it_slow
Jul 7, 2011

Powered through all the comics in three days. This guy is amazingly consistent in his visual style. The only flaw I've seen is the men who acted as living biological models not having blood pulsing through their missing halves.

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich

take_it_slow posted:

Powered through all the comics in three days. This guy is amazingly consistent in his visual style. The only flaw I've seen is the men who acted as living biological models not having blood pulsing through their missing halves.

Stay inside the invisible zone entirely for 2 days, you become invisible, spend 2 days with your side or head outside the zone, that part of your body becomes visible but the blood and the part inside the zone remains invisible. One of the animals on the planet used that trick as well.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

I just read through Lies, Sisters and Wives and it was amazing. Once they started talking about horses I was dying. If any of you goons do get someone to perform it on stage, it must be filmed.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Today's Accidental Space Spy is eerily topical.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
I'm going to miss it once the plot moves past The Best loving Planet Ever.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

All right, another Zone planet. I can't wait to see what kind of life evolved there. Judging by the names, it sounds like the worst loving planet ever.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
I dunno, Thorsby loves to change around expectations. I fully expect this planet to be full of cute bunnies and rainbows or something, purely because of the terrible names.

Schizophrenic Orb
Nov 16, 2009

Intriguing...

vyelkin posted:

I dunno, Thorsby loves to change around expectations. I fully expect this planet to be full of cute bunnies and rainbows or something, purely because of the terrible names.

Or, knowing his work, things will appear to be super nice and fluffy, until they reach the tipping point and everything is suddenly awful and trying to kill them.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

My bet is that it is a world of very insular communities and anti-social individuals, so they try to keep each other away with intimidating names.

Or goth world, that works too.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Schizophrenic Orb posted:

Or, knowing his work, things will appear to be super nice and fluffy, until they reach the tipping point and everything is suddenly awful and trying to kill them.

Yeah, this is what I was getting at. Like the planet of literal aliens that would try and kill anyone they thought told a lie, out of nowhere, when everything was going so well.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

vyelkin posted:

Yeah, this is what I was getting at. Like the planet of literal aliens that would try and kill anyone they thought told a lie, out of nowhere, when everything was going so well.

I really liked that planet.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Buzkashi
Feb 4, 2003
College Slice
If the village is under the reverse gravity zone, will that mean all the buildings will be on the ceiling of a cave?

SCF
Nov 8, 2000

Schwarzwald posted:

I really liked that planet.

What I liked about that arc is that they got there and it all seemed normal even though everyone talked in this weird, vague fashion, and at first I thought nothing of it since plenty of aliens in the comic talk weirdly. I don't think it ever explicitly tells you why they talk like that, but later on I suddenly realized that, oh they say stuff like "he went home I believe if I'm not mistaken" so they technically aren't lying even if they're wrong. I thought that was pretty clever.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Buzkashi posted:

If the village is under the reverse gravity zone, will that mean all the buildings will be on the ceiling of a cave?

Maybe they're right below it and toss their garbage up into the zone. There's probably also a large landmass hovering at the top of the zone, unable to fall up or down, blocking out the sun for the people under the zone.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Unguided posted:

Maybe they're right below it and toss their garbage up into the zone. There's probably also a large landmass hovering at the top of the zone, unable to fall up or down, blocking out the sun for the people under the zone.

And that landmass will be formed out of the garbage they've thrown up into it. Then somehow our intrepid heroes will figure out how to turn off the Reverse Gravity Zone and a rain of garbage will bury everything.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Buzkashi posted:

Logically, the reverse gravity zone should be fully in the sky. And rock, dirt, or other form of landmass inside the zone would have flown up long ago, reaching the top of the zone; where it reached a sort of equilibrium between both gravity directions. The wind, then, would take it away to fall some distance from the zone.

So if the zone had been placed at ground level initially, it would have eventually created a large depression bordered with hills and mountains. A sort of crater.

Zinkraptor
Apr 24, 2012

So, new planet. The dialogue suggests that the names are only to appear intimidating, but there's no way the planet's main gimmick is just going to be explained on the first page like that. There's gotta be something more to this. Perhaps having to do with the demons they mentioned, or the weird rant about potential doom the alien went on. Maybe everyone's paranoid? Religious?

I'm not sure why I'm bothering since it's almost certainly going to be way more complex and interesting than whatever I guess but I can try

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
If I had to guess based on just the one comic, I would guess our intrepid heroes will somehow prove the demons aren't real and cause a complete societal breakdown.

Although I still think it's more likely they somehow deactivate the Reverse Gravity Zone and shower everything in debris and garbage.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

vyelkin posted:

If I had to guess based on just the one comic, I would guess our intrepid heroes will somehow prove the demons aren't real and cause a complete societal breakdown.

I wonder if we'll see an evolutionary argument about optimism/pessimism?

Roleplaying Larry
Dec 5, 2008

Zinkraptor posted:

I'm not sure why I'm bothering since it's almost certainly going to be way more complex and interesting than whatever I guess but I can try

Seriously, this guy's work is the one of the least predictable things I've ever seen, even though it's all based on logic and science. That's a lot of the appeal for me.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

I guess they're exceedingly paranoid people given that they have eyes on their asses.

GyverMac
Aug 3, 2006
My posting is like I Love Lucy without the funny bits. Basically, WAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH

ZearothK posted:

I guess they're exceedingly paranoid people given that they have eyes on their asses.

I cant wait to hear the explanation for that one. I hope Thorsby gives us a evoluntionary bio on these guys aswell!

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

Today I was glad to see that "Plume" is figuring out how to not say the wrong thing and get himself almost-killed. It only took how many missions now? :)

Roleplaying Larry
Dec 5, 2008
Just reread Hitmen for Destiny, and it's almost as good the second time. The only difference is the "oh poo poo" reveals have slightly less of an impact, but even then, not that much less. Fusk and Vorte own so hard, goddamn.

I need this published as a physical book. My kingdom for a hardcover Hitmen for Destiny.

smilingfish
Sep 18, 2012

fuck you i am smart

Mystic_Squid posted:

I need this published as a physical book. My kingdom for a hardcover Hitmen for Destiny.

If Thorsby started a Kickstarter for this I would be all over that like stank on a hog.

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

What shall we do with him? A permaban, perhaps? Probate him for a few years? Or...shall we employ a big red custom title? You, the goons of SA, shall decide his fate.
Kaladihr have eyes on their asses too. Prediction: they, too, are complete cowards.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
They basically have the same body as the local intelligent aliens. So those things on the torso actually are legs. They just evolved their tentacles into arms and legs so their six paws are useless vestiges; while the beast here evolved them into weapons and keeps crawling on its belly.

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

God I love the aliens in this comic. That feeler panel, while short, was amazingly perfect and makes complete sense.

Eeevil
Oct 28, 2010

Well obviously he didn't see it, or he'd be wearing a hardhat :colbert:

BiggerJ posted:

Kaladihr have eyes on their asses too. Prediction: they, too, are complete cowards.

On the other hand, this might mean it's running towards them right now.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Cat Mattress posted:

They basically have the same body as the local intelligent aliens. So those things on the torso actually are legs. They just evolved their tentacles into arms and legs so their six paws are useless vestiges; while the beast here evolved them into weapons and keeps crawling on its belly.

I really like this. If you look at land vertebrates here on earth, we're all remarkably similar. We all share the same basic skeleton, just with variations in the shapes of the individual bones. A mouse has the same number of neck vertebrae as a giraffe, a bat's wing has the same number of digits as a human hand.

I've never seen a sci-fi writer depict alien evolution and speciation as realistically as Øyvind Thorsby.

Grogquock
May 2, 2009
The author is usually great with his quasi-science material but it looks like there is an issue with the zone flower. It seems like friction in the tubes would cause all the balls to stop moving after a time. They'd eventually come to rest at the midway point between the zones (just like the rocks at the top of the zone) and any energy the plant put into getting them moving again would result in a net expenditure of energy. Am I missing something?

Edit - either the midway point or the top or the bottom of the flower, depending on where they lost their energy.

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

What shall we do with him? A permaban, perhaps? Probate him for a few years? Or...shall we employ a big red custom title? You, the goons of SA, shall decide his fate.

Grogquock posted:

The author is usually great with his quasi-science material but it looks like there is an issue with the zone flower. It seems like friction in the tubes would cause all the balls to stop moving after a time. They'd eventually come to rest at the midway point between the zones (just like the rocks at the top of the zone) and any energy the plant put into getting them moving again would result in a net expenditure of energy. Am I missing something?

Edit - either the midway point or the top or the bottom of the flower, depending on where they lost their energy.

When all else fails, just say the zoners made them. If they could make zones of different physical laws, they could make perpetual motion plants too.

BiggerJ fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Oct 13, 2012

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Well, it does look like not everyone in this planet is a coward.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Also pretty much all the aliens on this planet have six appendages growing out of their torso, in addition to any extra ones that distinguish themselves from any others. I assume we'll find out why, but it's an interesting thing for the time being.

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

vyelkin posted:

Also pretty much all the aliens on this planet have six appendages growing out of their torso, in addition to any extra ones that distinguish themselves from any others. I assume we'll find out why, but it's an interesting thing for the time being.

Note how the eerie spitter has six long, thin, presumably practical appendages, the salivator has six spindly legs, and the flashfish has six small, stubby legs, while the twolesy have six seemingly non-functional appendages that may be mere artifacts of evoultion. It may simply be because they all evolved from the same common ancestor. Like how the life-forms on the Planet of the Invisible Zone all had four nostrils. And like how two nostrils is standard on Earth. If there's an interesting evolutionary reason, though, you can be we'll find out.

BiggerJ fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Oct 22, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

They might need those torso legs to crawl through higher elevation parts of the sub-zone area.

• Locked thread