Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

I'm pretty sure that's what it is replacing.

Commissar Ken posted:

If it's anything like the setup on the Wii whenever you're playing older games it wont recognize newer items. So i'm guessing no until they say otherwise.

Let me rephrase my question.

If I want to play Xenoblade Chronicles or any SNES or N64 games via the Virtual Console in "Wii Mode" can I use the new Pro controller or do I have to use the Wii Classic?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hobo Siege
Apr 24, 2008

by Cowcaster

Chronojam posted:

So what are you basing this off? I'd love to hear your sources.

History.

The Operative
Mar 15, 2012

I'd rather run over you with my car!

Bobnumerotres posted:

It uh, isn't a choice between the two? And it's not like the graphically intense consoles only have gritty shooter #1426 as exclusives (albeit that's certainly the majority of them), there are awesome exclusives like Halo and LBP that make great use of the console's graphical capabilities to contribute towards a very pleasing aesthetic, and processing capabilities to contribute to things that simply wouldn't have been possible on the Wii.

Graphic and processing capabilities are also a big part of the kind of ports the Wii U will get, and this can mean something as light as "Wii U gets the same game minus the PhysX particles/tesselation," or something as bad as "Wii U isn't getting the game at all."

Now if the Wii U is a success and totally swallows the gaming market whole, developers will give not one poo poo how much stronger the other consoles are, they will make games for the platform their games will sell on. Development is not funded by magic and love, unfortunately.

Given the rising cost of game development, it may be more advantageous for developers to lead with the Wii U and offer some small visual enhancements for the Orbis and Durango ports. Essentially, it could parallel multiplatform development during the PS2/GCN/Xbox era— start working from the lowest common hardware denominator and move up from there.

Mak0rz posted:

Let me rephrase my question.

If I want to play Xenoblade Chronicles or any SNES or N64 games via the Virtual Console in "Wii Mode" can I use the new Pro controller or do I have to use the Wii Classic?

Wii Classic Controller

The Operative fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Sep 16, 2012

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Hobo Siege posted:

Console comes out, gets some of the scant few multiplatform titles still slated for this generation, new consoles with modern architecture come out, third parties and core audiences jump ship, software dries up, Nintendo release a few great titles mixed in with numerous low-content experiments and gimmicks, Mom games as far as the eye can see, life support.

I guess it'll be cool if you have money to burn and the current drought of console titles is really chafing you, but I just don't see the appeal otherwise.

Because the Wii U doesn't have any sort of modern architecture.

Wait, is this gamefaqs?

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Hobo Siege posted:

Console comes out, gets some of the scant few multiplatform titles still slated for this generation, new consoles with modern architecture come out, third parties and core audiences jump ship, software dries up, Nintendo release a few great titles mixed in with numerous low-content experiments and gimmicks, Mom games as far as the eye can see, life support.

I guess it'll be cool if you have money to burn and the current drought of console titles is really chafing you, but I just don't see the appeal otherwise.

Thanks for a pointless prediction?

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

That early launch worked out terribly for the Xbox 360 didn't it?

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The Wii launched a year after the 360 so if you think you have some clever, "history repeating itself" thing you don't know what your talking about.

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Chronojam posted:

It's a good idea! You're out getting herbs and GREAT JAGGI OHSHIT. One thing I like about Monster Hunter is that player skill (versus character skill/stats/equipment) is a huge part of it. Tutorial process should reflect that.

Replace Jaggi with Kut-Ku because Kut-Ku has and always will be more awesome than a retarded looking Velocidrome :colbert:

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Oh, haha, you're being sarcastic and pretending to be one of those games magazines around the time of the Wii's release? I thought you were being serious for a moment.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
Maybe he's actually talking about the Saturn and Dreamcast.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

Maybe he's actually talking about the Saturn and Dreamcast.

Except neither had 'Mom games" or life support... they were hardcore till the day they died.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

What the hell is a "mom game" anyway?

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

Bombadilillo posted:

Cooking Mama, Gardening Mama, etc. ones probably. They're pretty popular.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Bombadilillo posted:

I'm assuming he's talking about things like this:

Or the "Mama" games.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

zenintrude posted:

Except neither had 'Mom games" or life support... they were hardcore till the day they died.

Replace mom game with dating sim I guess?

Hobo Siege
Apr 24, 2008

by Cowcaster

Bombadilillo posted:

The Wii launched a year after the 360 so if you think you have some clever, "history repeating itself" thing you don't know what your talking about.

The issue is that the Wii U is a 360 or thereabouts, just as the Wii before it was a slightly upticked Gamecube. This system will face similar challenges to the Wii, and it won't have an explosive new control scheme to get everyone talking. The only difference is that the U's going to have a year to compete with the current gen.

Ya'll sure are uptight.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

^^^^^ Let me go into a thread about a new console and say how it sucks and will die in 1 year, For reasons! Why everyone so uptight?

zenintrude posted:

I'm assuming he's talking about things like this:

Or the "Mama" games.

Nobody ever bought a WiiFit.
Nintendo's core audience will abandon them.
History.
:reject:

Bombadilillo fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Sep 16, 2012

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
Y'all are gonna be mad jealous when the Xbox 720 and PS4 roll around next year, with its 4GB of RAM and 1TB solid state hard drives running Unreal Engine 5 games and every third-party abandons the WiiU. Source: Kotaku

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

Hobo Siege posted:

The issue is that the Wii U is a 360 or thereabouts

Oh is it? Don't hold out on us man, you seem like a guy who knows what he's talking about. How powerful is the Wii U?

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Hobo Siege posted:

Ya'll sure are uptight.

Forgive us for pointing out how much you're trying to instigate something?

quote:

The issue is that the Wii U is a 360 or thereabouts, just as the Wii before it was a slightly upticked Gamecube. This system will face similar challenges to the Wii, and it won't have an explosive new control scheme to get everyone talking. The only difference is that the U's going to have a year to compete with the current gen.

The Wii U's graphics, processing and RAM run circles around what the 360 can do, and Microsoft's/Sony's offerings won't be much stronger unless they want to charge double the Wii U's price, and then they'll be dead in the water. This has been repeated in this thread and other threads concerning the next gen over and over again and should practically be in the OP.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Bombadilillo posted:

It's a codeword for "videogames are only for me, a Hardcore Gamer with Forum Opinions"

Hobo Siege
Apr 24, 2008

by Cowcaster

Bobnumerotres posted:

Forgive us for pointing out how much you're trying to instigate something?

If not being particularly enthused about the U's prospects for core titles counts as instigation, yes, I suppose I am instigating.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Sorry... but does anybody buy a next gen console and get just a Nintendo console? Pretty much everybody I know that has a Wii has a PS3 or 360 too. I also dont' see it that common to have a 360 and a PS3.

I buy Nintendo for Nintendo franchises.

The Operative
Mar 15, 2012

I'd rather run over you with my car!

Hobo Siege posted:

Ya'll sure are uptight.

I don't understand blanket statements like these. The Wii U has twice as much usable RAM as the Xbox 360 and a GPU that is at least three generations ahead of its predecessors. You could make the argument that the CPU is going to be a bottleneck for the device in the future, but to say that the Wii U is only as powerful as the Xbox 360 is an understatement at best, and disingenuous at worst.

The Operative fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Sep 16, 2012

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Astro7x posted:

Sorry... but does anybody buy a next gen console and get just a Nintendo console? Pretty much everybody I know that has a Wii has a PS3 or 360 too. I also dont' see it that common to have a 360 and a PS3.

I buy Nintendo for Nintendo franchises.

I have a PC, I can deal with missing the occasional game like LBP, and most important console games are ported over to PC.

What will never come to PC however is Nintendo.

Sushi X
Jan 13, 2001

I still love Nintendo games but my fandom for them have wane significantly throughout the years and I am sure this applies to many others as well. Nintendo exclusives such as a new Mario or Zelda games no longer hold the same appeal as they once did. My Wii has been collecting dust for the past two years and I am taking a wait and see approach with the Wii U. The tablet controller looks interesting but none of the implementation of it looks mind blowing or revolutionary. It seems very gimmicky.

Admittedly the launch lineup for the Wii U looks very impressive though a lot of the games seem to be souped up ports that you can find on a 360 or ps3. Nintendo is showing more willingness to branch out and attract "core" gamers this time around, which is very commendable. The Nintendo brand itself does not hold the same luster that it once did.

Hobo Siege
Apr 24, 2008

by Cowcaster

The Operative posted:

I don't understand blanket statements like these. The Wii U has twice as much usable RAM as the Xbox 360 and a GPU that is at least three generations ahead of its predecessors. You could make the argument that the CPU is going to be a bottleneck for the device in the future, but to say that the Wii U is only as powerful as the Xbox 360 is an understatement at best, and disingenuous at worst.

Consider that this thing is going to be rendering three screens at max load, one of them in HD. That's going to be a fairly severe drag, and the unimpressive CPU isn't going to help. I don't think we're looking at an N64 > Dreamcast type leap here.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Hobo Siege posted:

Consider that this thing is going to be rendering three screens at max load, one of them in HD. That's going to be a fairly severe drag, and the unimpressive CPU isn't going to help. I don't think we're looking at an N64 > Dreamcast type leap here.

But it's not going to do that?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Hobo Siege posted:

Tell me more of your in-depth knowledge of an unreleased game system. :allears:

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

Hobo Siege posted:

Ya'll sure are uptight.

Don't listen to the naysayers. History is on your side, right?

:allears:

Almost Smart
Sep 14, 2001

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway. when you had sex with me and that monkey

Sushi X posted:

Admittedly the launch lineup for the Wii U looks very impressive though a lot of the games seem to be souped up ports that you can find on a 360 or ps3. Nintendo is showing more willingness to branch out and attract "core" gamers this time around, which is very commendable. The Nintendo brand itself does not hold the same luster that it once did.

That's kind of my assessment of things too. Nothing shown for the Wii U thus far seems out of reach for 360 or PS3 (unique control schemes notwithstanding), and I would say there probably are some legitimate concerns on how well the U will ultimately hold up against those systems' successors. It's honestly too early to tell how things are going to shake out, but I don't see why it should matter. The Wii U seems pretty affordable, and if gaming is a serious hobby of yours, I'm sure you'll be able to scrounge up the cash for another system over the following year or two.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
I'm assuming that huge Red spike in Wii sales was New Super Mario Bros. Wii, correct?

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

Astro7x posted:

I'm assuming that huge Red spike in Wii sales was New Super Mario Bros. Wii, correct?

Yeah, it was out for Christmas 09

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Astro7x posted:

Yes. During the time of barren wastelands and "mom games" where everyone had abandoned the wii. You know, History.

...if only you could get that as a launch game :smug:

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

Hobo Siege posted:

Okay, so you concede that the WiiU having 32MB+2GB of RAM (with 1GB set aside for the OS) compared to the 360s 10MB+512MB isn't the issue. Nor is its vastly, vastly superior GPU. It's the unimpressive CPU, tell me what aspect of the CPUs design do you find most troubling?

Almost Smart
Sep 14, 2001

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway. when you had sex with me and that monkey

Bombadilillo posted:

Yes. During the time of barren wastelands and "mom games" where everyone had abandoned the wii. You know, History.

A large part of the reason my love for Nintendo has waned over the years is because their brand seems to attract the very worst kind of fans, the kind who congratulate one another with poo poo-eating grins and share in the success of a company they had absolutely nothing to do with.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

^^^ Like every sport ever :v:

Astro7x posted:

Also, it corresponds with the "Wii lead jumps by 2.5m" in this representation of total hardware units sold.

Like it or not, the 2D Mario platformer genre is a huge system and software seller; although, according to other figures, Wii owners still have an acceptable hardware-software tie ratio. They're not just getting NSMB, they're often getting the system with that before grabbing other games. It's in first/second/third party (and our) best interest to see a NSMB come out to increase the console install base, promoting sales of other titles.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Almost Smart posted:

A large part of the reason my love for Nintendo has waned over the years is because their brand seems to attract the very worst kind of fans, the kind who congratulate one another with poo poo-eating grins and share in the success of a company they had absolutely nothing to do with.

If you cant tell, that its a purposely ironic statement against Hobo Seiges assertion that the Wii's core audience abandoned it when the 360 and ps3 came out.

Anyway if smug fans is your kryptonite thing how the hell do you stomach reading about the ps3, or worse, the 360 fans, or worse pc supremacists?

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Bombadilillo posted:

To be honest the Wii was pretty terrible for a gamer. Being a commercial success is great and all but NSMB is their "poo poo out as quickly as possible for obscene profit" series, and first party games aside (and the occassional great thing like MH3) the Wii was loving barren.

So, I understand being cautious with the Wii U (it's hard to get the smell of poo poo off your hands, after all), but they're doing so many things right and acquiring excellent exclusive titles, having a modern online system, etc.

Instead of everyone going "Hey look, it seems Nintendo woke up and smelled the loving coffee but let me wait and see" they're going "How loving DARE they take my Bayonetta and Monster Hunter? Nintendo's a little kid company fisher price Wii lawl [even on these forums which is pathetic]" or making blanket statements like this guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Bobnumerotres posted:

To be honest the Wii was pretty terrible for a gamer. Being a commercial success is great and all but NSMB is their "poo poo out as quickly as possible for obscene profit"

Which is why they had so many sequels of the title come out over the Wii's 6 year life?

Now Pokemon, theres a poo poo out for profit franchise.

• Locked thread