Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers
Is there any point to getting the 'pro' pack if you can expand the internal memory with USB storage? Is it going to be that only certain things can be on the internal memory, or is it going to be more open? I ask because the regular ol' white version is only $50 more in Australia (HOLY poo poo :siren: :supaburn: :siren:) but the 'pro' version is $80 more.

Not sure anyone would even know, but might as well ask.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

Astro7x posted:

Probably answered in the thread already, but in the states it's $50 and comes with Nintendo Land, 4x as much internal storage and some nifty stands. Nintendo Land alone is $60.

I remember getting by pretty well on my PS3 with only the 20GB hard drive, and still could probably get by if I didn't load it up with videos and use it for a media center.

I've got external hard drives and SD cards lying all around the place. The idea that I would pay $80 more for such a minuscule amount of space is just laughable to me. Nintendoland just looks uninteresting to me, I'd rather put the money towards something I want to play.

I've been wondering, most games for the current consoles only get to use around 256mb for video memory (sometimes more on the 360 since its memory is unified), whereas the WiiU has 1GB. I'd love to see if this results in an appreciable difference in texture resolution, since that's a very easy way to make games look better. I've heard the console isn't quite powerful enough to be pulling 1080p in games like AC3, but if it's using twice the resolution in its textures, or hell, even more, that would be awesome.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

I think ZambiWiiUNintendo looks pretty awesome, but I'm a sucker for these kinds of games. Damnit, I told myself I wasn't going to buy this loving console. God drat it. I shouldn't be spending this kind of money at the moment!

I am weak.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

greatn posted:

Apparently Nintendo only has to sell one piece of software to make money back on Wii U, so this isn't nearly a big of a loss per console as people thought. They are going to make money on this very quickly.

Saying that Nintendo sells the console at a loss is kind of misleading anyway. The pro console in Australia costs $430, which is a bit over US$440. There are definitely some territories where Nintendo is straight up profiting per unit.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

I didn't know saves defaulted to the USB drive you have plugged in and I accidentally formatted it and now my windwaker save is gone agggghhhhhh shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

Harry posted:

I've actually enjoyed it a lot more than I thought I would. This is looking to be the first console game I've completed since Dragon Quest 8. Not a fan at all of this wind temple though.

Are you taunting me with your not deleted save? :(

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

These are early report figures and might not be entirely accurate but Wind Waker HD sold an estimated 152,000 copies for the first week of October in North America, good for fifth (behind GTA V PS3/360 and NBA 2K14 for PS3/360). Wii U also sold 35,000 consoles for second best that week (behind 360, ahead of PS3). This all coming from VHChartz.

If accurate, good for Zelda and the Wii U. I had a feeling it was going to be a decent seller. Seems like a lot of new Wii U owners this past week because of the game.

I'm one of those new owners, although I got mine pre-owned since it was like $250.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

I hope this actually becomes a trend in HD ports. Not in a George Lucas way, but in a fix old bad game design kind of way. There are so many games that would go from great to amazing with a little tweaking and cutting down on the tedium.

Oh btw, is there anywhere online to buy cheap download codes for eshop games? I wanted to grab zombi u and monster hunter 3 but they're $40 and $80. Do download codes even work in every region or is there blocking?

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

greatn posted:

They almost certainly wouldn't, but I'd bet they would redo it with their much improved synths like they did with Wind Waker.

I've done a bit of replacing old synths with new video game music remastering myself, and I can tell you it requires very little work. Just doing that is the lazy way around it, but I'm not sure an HD remaster brings in enough money to warrant an orchestral OST.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

Lord Lambeth posted:

I want a Resident Evil 4 HD on the Wii U so I can replay it for the billionth time. :zombie:

You could always try it on Dolphin if you have a decent i5 CPU. You could easily play it in 1080p or even higher.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

SatansBestBuddy posted:

Well, if they don't have the original assets anymore than they're up poo poo creek without a paddle when it comes to porting to HD systems, since they'd either just port the GC game as is and have it look like crap, or have to guess at how everything was originally rendered and try to recreate it at which point they're making an entirely new game from scratch anyway so why bother making a port?

Basically, pre-rendered backgrounds are exactly what they say they are, a far more powerful machine than the system you're playing the game on spent time rendering everything into a static image, then the devs took those images and used them as backgrounds for the characters to move around in. Those assets were probably built using a polygon count and texture resolutions that would make a PS4 sweat, so they'd be impossible on a GC without pre-rendering them. As for why they didn't keep those assets, it's possible they were misplaced, damaged over time or intentionally destroyed.

Regardless, if they're gone then so go the chances of getting the REmake for HD systems, the amount of work required to rebuild those assets would be insane, it'd actually be easier to just remake the remake than it would be to rebuild it.

I think the pre rendered assets in REmake are a bit different. Supposedly each room is actually laid out with polygons (albeit simple ones) and the pre rendered stuff is basically a texture on those polygons. That's how they achieve those multi angled cut scenes.

The fact they don't have the assets makes that even worse since you can't just have a digital artist scale up the backgrounds and paint over them to clean them up (there are some bootleg ff7 mods that do this).

I just tried the zombi u demo. That game is kinda cool, I just wish it wasn't $40. It's zombie dark souls!

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

Guess since I've owned my Wii U for a few days now I have a few problems with it. Does anyone else get a weird pain in their wrist when they use the gamepad? I find going from the analogue stick to the face buttons kind of uncomfortable as well. It's not exactly great ergonomically.

Isn't the gamepad supposed to function like a sensor bar as well? Because it doesn't seem to work with mine.

Other than that, it's a pretty cool console. It's a shame it's going poorly though.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

greatn posted:

I don't really have any ergo problems with it. The sensor bar can work on the gamepad, but it depends on the game if it is on or not. For instance if you boot into Wii mode and select the option of using the gamepad, the sensor bar should work. If you're just browsing around in the WiiU menu it isn't going to register it because they would rather you use the TV.

It doesn't seem to let me choose the gamepad when I boot into wii mode, and it forces me to use the wiimote pointer, so I thought I'd just use the sensor bar on the controller, but it's not working.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

Jesus, dudes, ZombiU is like, really, really good. You know how horror and survival horror has been going the way of the dodo? It's all action from the Resident Evil guys, the Silent Hill games are terrible, everyone's making Slender or Amnesia clones...the sorts of old school survival horror games that are interesting mechanically and their horror is emphasised mechanically are just plain dead. But ZombiU is interesting mechanically, there's a ton of great design work going on here, plus it's old school survival horror. Inventory management, items are scarce, saving your game requires traveling to a safe place, death has a consequence. It's a really, really good game and the fact it will go down in history as a forgotten gem is just depressing.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

Not sure if there's an answer to this, but why is the wifi signal on the wii u so goddamn bad? I can't seem to maintain a simple connection to a router that's about 8m away through a single thin rear end wall. Is there anything I can do to help with this? Face it a certain way? Make a ghetto rear end antenna?

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

Gah it's so annoying that it doesn't have a LAN port in the first place, it'd cost them maybe 15c worth of parts. My drat PS3 has a far better wifi signal.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

Is there still an active Monster Hunter thread? I just got 3 Ultimate and I'm a total monster hunter noob, I need some monster hunting buddies.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

It's less a roguelike (unless you're playing survivor mode) and more like someone mashed Dark Souls and old school survival horror together. And yeah it's pretty fantastic.

By the way, for dudes who have tried the wii mode just on the gamepad, does it let you use the controls on the gamepad for games that use a classic controller? I had a quick look at the wii mode yesterday and it was telling me that you can't use the gamepad's controls in wii mode which is just confusing.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

Anyone know why an SD card wouldn't be working if I plug it into my console? Could it just be a dud card? I don't really have any other SD devices, I just got it for this. It's just a regular 8gb SDHC card.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

Gutcruncher posted:

Some Wii U stuff can use the SD card. Off the top of my head Animal Crossing Plaza and Mii Maker use it for moving pictures between Wii U, 3DS, and computer.

I'd read that you could expand the storage with an SD card but I guess I should have just grabbed another USB stick.

• Locked thread