Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
It's always like this, no matter how many awful Mario spinoffs come out, any game that has both Mario and Bros. in the title will sell like crazy. I would sell out of even NSMB for the regular DS every other day, regularly, til like maybe a month ago...when NSMB 2 came out... :aaaaa:

I read an article somewhere that observed that sales were so big that if the ONLY games released for the GBA/DS ever were the Mario Advance games and New Super Mario Bros., they still would have been financially successful systems for Nintendo.

Nintendo, as a brand, definitely lacks the luster it used to have, but any side scrolling Mario Bros. game is an automatic hit. Gaming has grown up a bit in that we're way beyond the point where Nintendo and other old guard were dropping games every year that were completely redefining how video games function, but There's no way the WiiU won't be a success for them.

That said, I hope they really roll out the red carpet consistently for third parties and don't make publishing anything on their online service the worst experience ever again. I feel like this is a really critical time for the company. With the original Wii you could tell in all the presentations and how they conducted themselves that they knew it was going to be huge, but here they have this really short window to keep getting stuff like Mass Effect and Call of Duty on it and looking slightly better than on 360/PS3 (impossible from Activision, but possible from say Ubisoft or EA and others). Like if they can drop Battlefield 3 on it running at 60FPS or still locked at 30FPS but looking even slightly better than on 360 it would be a huge deal.

Unlike with the previous generation, the big games of the past year (excepting the few AAA Call of Duty games) are selling way less than they used to, part of it's because the economy sucks, people are bored with their current systems, etc., but it's interesting because it puts publishers in a position where just dropping a ton of ports the first year like with the Wii isn't going to get the easy sales like it did, so they have an opportunity to focus on the newer stuff making it on.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Sep 17, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Chronojam posted:

ZombiU is due out before the end of the year

It lacks the luster mostly because gaming journalism has been making GBS threads on them for a decade, proclaiming their imminent failure, while they continually sell gangbusters and people eat it up.

That reminds me, in the late nineties and early 2000s Nintendo's website had the coolest thing. If you went to https://www.nintendo.com/status, you'd just get a white screen and simply an "Okay." in size 12 Times New Roman. It was always the thread closing link when console warrior arguing got out of hand.

Honestly though, proclaimed doom or not (and you're right gaming media had poo poo all over Nintendo routinely for years) they did lose a lot of luster for me. I'll the reasons why for me are Mario spinoffs, Other M, and their refusal to do anything really interesting with Legend of Zelda.

In the Gamecube's early years they had stuff like Rogue Leader, Animal Crossing and Eternal Darkness where they were really going outside of Pokemon/Mario territory, and they had they major balls to bring not only bring out the DS, but kill the GB brand entirely instead of doing the three pillars thing with a home system, game boy, and weird experimental other handheld. Kirby Canvas Curse, WarioWare (and this was a huge one, WarioWare GBA, more than Mario Party, created a genre), all those games had some serious polish. Go back further and you'd have one publisher putting out things as disparate as Uniracers, Star Fox, Super Metroid, Super Punch-Out!!, etc.

These days though they were dropping stuff like Mario Sports Mix and Wii Motion Party on the Wii and expecting them to be taken as seriously as something like Mario Galaxy. Bwah? I'm aware that in Japan there were some more interesting things published on the Wii by Nintendo but I don't think they would have made a serious impact in the US as something applied to their major franchises. Remember the makers of the Conduit (I know Sega published but bear with me)? They were making a bloody gladiatorial combat game with heavy amounts of customization as well as a very fast Left 4 Dead clone, those got canned so they could do a cookie cutter sci-fi FPS sequel to a cookie cutter sci-fi FPS that no one wanted a sequel to. Higher Voltage Software, you started with White Men Can't Jump on the Jaguar and out of nowhere came close to touching the stars. Why settle?

With the WiiU Nintendo has a machine that can theoretically make everyone happy, I just hope they make the most of it and get that level of diversity and ambition back. Right now NSMBU and ZombiU will keep me happy. ZombiU especially, and of course anything Platinum puts out I'm getting ASAP, but I'd love for Nintendo to really reach out and do something outside of the expected. Sci-fi Zelda spinoff (they can't do an equivalent of Ultima Underworld series and just use the name to push whatever odd adventure game concepts they have kicking around?), Eternal Darkness 2, whatever, those two things will never happen but anything.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Chaltab posted:

The Wii U can run these sorts of games, and it can run them, judging by the specs, better than the 360. It has an abundance of control options out of the gate, and it has plenty of storage for the average user and easy expandability. Unless and until the next console cycle popularizes a new style of game that can't be done, then the Wii U can still get ports of those big games, maybe with some graphical bells and whistles turned off, but not a paltry imitation like Dead Rising: Chop Till You Drop.

One thing they really need to do is make that new pro controller a standard with all SKUs some time next year.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Chaltab posted:

I don't see why they need to do that. The Gamepad has all the functionality of the pro controller and then some, so it makes a lot more sense to only sell the pro controller to people who really want or need it.

The average consumer will 100% not see the Gamepad as anything other than a tablet thing for touch games, and that mindset does have an effect on developers as well, who will be of the mindset of "the consumer might not have a core game controller === no core games for this system." Literally no chance can be taken with this system being as easy as possible for third party stuff to be on. I guess that's what I was posting before, with the Wii Nintendo was supposedly going to be "more open" to third parties but the system lacked the power and the standardized control options to make it a reality. With the WiiU they have chance to market a system that truly has it all if they actually put that controller in the box with it.

Nintendo created this effect themselves with the Wii. Look at how many games they published with no Classic Controller support that absolutely, 100% would have played fine with the Classic Controller.

Like we're all saying though, none of this will matter if Nintendo actually brings the heat with their first/second party stuff this time.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Sep 17, 2012

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

I think I heard this line of thinking before. I think it was around late 2004? Had to do with handhelds?

You have, in my very own posts actually regarding the ambition and diversity of Nintendo's first party titles. Most people forget but there was a brief time where the PSP was the handheld you bought. The DS was kind of interesting and had a lot of games that were either pure five minute tech demo (Pac Pix) or purely unplayable (Bomberman, Nanostray).

It wasn't until the tri-fecta of Kirby: Canvas Curse, WarioWare Touched and Nintendogs came out in mid-2005 that the DS exploded, sold like gangbusters and its potential was realized. The DS Lite+New Super Mario Bros. simultaneous release in May 2006 (see a pattern? Very diverse output and a game with Mario and Bros. in the title, the ultimate team-up) then made the brand immortal.

All I'm saying is that after the Wii's life post NSMB, Nintendo needs to work much harder if they want to keep the third party stuff coming after the first year or so. Making sure customers perceive it as a "real" system and not an add-on for the Wii or another handheld (this is still happening regularly at retailers everywhere) is still a hurdle that has to be overcome because, frankly, I don't think Nintendo itself has what it takes to meet or exceed what they accomplished with their DS library. IF they can then it won't matter if they have third party support or not, but after the second half of the Wii's life I doubt that that's possible.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Sep 17, 2012

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Using it for maps and menus can have meaning as long as it isn't shoehorned in. ZombiU as an example doesn't let you pause the game when you check your inventory. When you check it your character gets down and opens up/starts picking through his backpack which limits your viewpoint, you then have to look at the Gamepad to equip/manipulate your stuff. That's awesome.

Nintendo Land also has a few Pac-Man Vs. sort of games on it, again, really awesome use of it that provides an experience only it can provide. Hopefully unlike with the DS though, after having such great stuff in 2006/2007 it doesn't peter out to just "look at the Gamepad to see your health."

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

A lot of it was based on the word of paranoid software pirates. A few PSX developers (Capcom in particular) devised a copy protection that was actually very effective for about two years. There was paranoia that the next step would be the games being locked to your system, with small rumblings of this even when the PS2 was coming out.

I gotta agree about the XBox though, I buy digital games all the time but if the next iteration is some subscription Live hub thing I'm not gonna touch it with a ten foot pole.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Bombadilillo posted:

So the gamepad has a camera right. So when games come out that give you a buy new bonus or some such, is there anything stopping them from having 2D barcodes or something similar as opposed to entering ridiculous codes.

Wouldn't it be really easy to crack something like that though? I guess ideally you'd be able to just take a picture of the code and have it recognize the characters. We're at a point where you can deposit a check with your cell phone camera, the Gamepad should be able to handled twelve characters in a uniform line or whatever.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Astro7x posted:

I remember reading that there was regenerating health after each section of enemies, basically taking out a lot of the difficulty in the Ninja Gaiden games.

Also in the vanilla release of the game...you only have the dragon sword. The WiiU version will have all the weapons added back in, I believe these were released later on on 360/PS3 as DLC packs.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Bobnumerotres posted:

Impulse had an awesome sale on PC games a bit ago. I guess what I heard was bullshit then.

Their prices for major stuff are often in synch with Steam's too. You can walk into a GameStop and get codes for demos from their site too, they have a rotating group of stuff.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Everything plays and looks exactly the same, but stomping on enemies results in real time flesh deformation with four layer models of bone and muscle damage. Stomped on enemies do not fall off of the screen or fade away.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Chaltab posted:

drat, the Ayane segments look like they could have come from an Xbox game. She looks like she's made of plastic and the environments are really sparse.

Sadly, that would make it a perfect port of Ninja Gaiden 3.

Honestly though it looks like the same model/assets/challenge map from Sigma 2 on PS3. The plastic skin is their style though. You can see it in the Dead or Alive series too where the male characters all have a variety of complexions but the female characters are all flawless porcelain dolls.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

What's surprising is that they didn't upgrade the Fatal Frame 2 Wii remake for this instead. It's pre RE4 but still enough of a known horror game that anyone who picks up RE/Silent Hill/etc. would get it day one. I'm surprised that even came out on the Wii (just this June I think?).

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Bombadilillo posted:

What we're you expecting? This isn't new. The multiplayer was asymmetrical and local from the start. I guess online coop would be sweet, but that was never even talked about was it? Were you expecting a dm mode?

Truly a betrayal of the fans on par with Metroid Prime 1 and Dead Space 2. Curses.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Bombadilillo posted:

Can you get procontrollers yet?

GameStop is taking pre-orders.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

greatn posted:

Mainly that if you have limited income it's better to have that 300 on hand in case a pipe bursts or your transmission gives out or you have to go to hospital and other emergencies. If it doesn't happen you buy the U as normal. If it does happen you gotta wait. I don't know what Gamestop's cancellation policy is though, so maybe it's liquid anyway.

GameStop lets you get a full refund whenever you want. The individual employee may not want to do it because they don't want to hurt their numbers but that's the policy. Contrary to popular belief, GameStop can't actually spend or otherwise use or list pre-order money for anything. So they'd much rather someone cancel a reservation than just have a like a $50 deposit sit there forever.

However, once something is taken out of the reservation list in their registers (like the WiiU has been in this instance), you won't be able to reserve it again if you take the money out. It's either all or nothing.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Sep 19, 2012

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

This unrealistic expectation gets perpetuated by the resolution listings on the back of the boxes. On the back of the 360/PS3 box it will list 1080p if the game upscales to it regardless of what it actually runs at. PS3 games became honest with this at some point (I think from 2010 on?), but many 360 customers think that their games run at 1080p natively. This isn't their fault, it's due to deceptive marketing, but I can understand why gamers are so clueless about this when the packaging of the products themselves is full of it.

Oddly there are a lot of PS3 games that are native 1080p, mostly really random ones like NBA 07, Fifa Street, Conflict: Denied Ops, a large number of PSN games and so on. I remember the disappointment when it was announced that God of War III dropped down to 720+30FPS despite them saying it would be native 1080 and locked at 60FPS for the longest time, but just the fact that it was native 720 made it better looking than most other games out at the time and many that come out today. There's only a few on 360 but people assume it's the same thing anyway because the boxes all say 1080P on it because it was such a selling point when these systems were first coming out.

Given that we're a long way away from everyone having wall screens I do hope the next wave of packing for these systems isn't outright dishonest, since having some kind of LCD/plasma screen is so common now it probably won't be a major part of the marketing anyway.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Sep 19, 2012

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Bobnumerotres posted:

It's also due to the fact that many people (including me) have trouble telling the difference. I have 20/20 vision and a 32' 1080p TV, I don't know what's running at ~true~ 720/1080p and what's just being stretched, it's not like there's an immediate tell.

60 FPS is a huge boost in visuals for me though, and it's upsetting when games don't run smoothly. I won't be getting it but recent HD trailers for NSMB:U look silky drat smooth.

I actually am the same to be honest. I'm slightly colorblind and I have never had a tv larger than around the 24~30" area so the only things I care about personally are "Mass Effect 2 you are the best game ever but why did you choose to have small red text on an orange background" and the framerate. It will never happen but if the next wave of systems overall is just a very slight improvement over what we have now but with everything running at 60FPS and with text I can clearly read I'd support it as much as I can.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Chaltab posted:

To be fair, performance is something Nintendo is a stickler for usually. A lot of their Wii and Gamecube games run at 60 most of the time, and those that don't tend not to drop below 30. That's one of the reasons they tend to hold up a lot better graphically than many PS2 and Xbox1 games.

Yeah I was going to say, most Nintendo published games on the Gamecube either run at 60FPS or are locked at 30. I feel like their developers had a better understanding of lighting at the time also, it's one of the reasons the Metroid Prime games look great even today, or how Eternal Darkness, despite the outdated character models, has some truly breathtaking scenery at times.

Wasn't there a really really old interview with John Carmack where he said the Gamecube would have had the best console version of Doom 3? Did I imagine this?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

"If you don't have real friends, don't play a Nintendo game!" ~Wario (WarioWare: Mega Party Games manual)

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Chaltab posted:

You were playing it at a public event full of dozens of people, weren't you? It probably works better without all the ambient noise.

Whenever I'm at these, all the major publishers (Ubisoft included, hell even Konami can afford it) have headsets on every kiosk so it's a non-issue.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

CrushedB posted:

So surprise there's a Nintendo Direct for both NCL and NOA coming in 2 hours: https://twitter.com/stephentotilo/status/251480427351638016

They're getting dangerously close to announcing these after they actually happen.

I predict the return of unique friend codes for every game.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

They need to just make stuff up to get some nerd rage. I couldn't believe the hilarity that ensued over Bayonetta 2. They have to go all out. A two hour boring conference about how online works, then Hideo Kojima walks out and announces Metal Gear Solid 5, exclusively for Wii U.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Policenaut posted:

So for anyone considering Darksiders 2 Wii U, here's what the bonus content for that version is.

Looks like basically all the DLC as well as the pre-order bonus stuff, glad I waited.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

You don't have to play the original to understand the sequel, correct?

Basically one of the four horsemen, War, is set up for bringing about the end of the world early, so he goes around killing stuff and fighting demons to clear his name and try to restore things, stuff happens that they recap in Darksiders II. In Darksiders II you play as Death out to figure out what happened and hopefully clear his brother's name. That's pretty much all you need.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Yeah Metal Gear is a popular enough series to receive ports, but all of them began life with a single platform in mind. Revengeance is actually the first in the franchise to be multi-platform from the ground up. I think a numbered sequel in the series probably will be PS3/PS4 only for a year or so before moving on to the other systems.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

At this rate they'll probably have one about their online plan in fall 2013.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Cuboidal 64 posted:

Lack of 1080p for NSMBU is kinda disappointing, but I don't think it matters much. Looking at it, it doesn't seem it'd benefit THAT much from it. I'll be pretty disappointed if they don't get that on the next 3D Mario though.

Doesn't pretty much every game on PS3/360 only run at 720 anyway except for God of War 3 and like two other games? I know many of them say 1080 on the box but don't they just upscale to that?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Red Steel was trashed waaay before release. I mean as soon as Kotaku or whatever was the equivalent then noticed that the game is called "bloody sword" but is rated T and that it began as a PS2 game there was much skepticism.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Louisgod posted:

I generally hate anything zombie related because that genre has been played out for too long, but a lot of the hands on for ZombiU seem pretty positive so far with how they're really trying to make the game both difficult and feel like a survival game by providing you with little to no means to defend yourself. While the concept may not be completely revolutionary, seems like adopting the hard as balls Dark Souls difficulty and applying it to the genre may work out in their favor.

From what little I played it feels like they're definitely going for a middle ground where it's not unfair like parts of the original Resident Evil but still reasonably challenging like Dark Souls and Demon's Souls. I never felt like I died for reasons that weren't totally my fault during my play time with it. So I'm hoping the full game keeps that up.

That's the real reason zombies are played out, it's not that there are products with zombies, but that they get shoehorned into everything. Like Human Revolution was one of my favorite games of last year but did it really need an entire zombie level at the end? I'm hoping that ZombiU's status as a reboot/whatever of a zombie game ripped off from a zombie movie about zombies keeps it on track. This stuff was played out and being mocked way before it was even a thing in video games (remember that X-Files episode with Gary Shandling and the sniper zombies?) though so I can understand not being interested.

What was that SWAT spinoff with zombies Irrational was making? That sounded like a genuinely great game too. I forget its name, but I'll never forget why it got canned, the publisher decided that "zombies won't be a popular next year." That January of course saw the release of Resident Evil 4. The way it was structured would actually work great on the WiiU now that I think about it. Imagine something like that or Starsiege and Starsiege: Tribes where the commander player can use the tablet as their overhead for coordinating everyone else. Those games were waaaaay ahead of their time.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

In an industry where major titles are released in every region within a month of each other now instead of there being a year delay (of course there are still exceptions like Megami Tensei stuff in Europe or anything XSeed gets a hold of) I seriously do not understand why region protection exists, at all. The amount of people who import games from a different country is extremely small and often consist of people so devoted to the hobby that they buy tons of games (often the same they import) from the same developer in their own region anyway.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Louisgod posted:

From what I understand, for Nintendo it comes down to the rating system and controlling specific content that may not be "suitable" for other regions. I think they really buckled down on this when they introduced the DSiWare stuff since it could be obtained digitally. Nintendo tends to be really conservative when it comes to controlling game content regionally.

This does make sense for them since their handhelds were all region free until the DSi came out. Though personally I still don't see the point since you'd either need a credit card or a hook-up to get a points card from a different region to get things that aren't rated for your own region (and not even the most hardcore mom and pop game stores have those in the building). Either way an adult is involved.

I also don't understand the pricing thing since Japanese retailers manipulate the prices beyond whatever Nintendo wants their stuff to sell for all the time anyway and no one cares. The DS Lite launch was a good example, it go so popular that rather than waiting for more units from Nintendo stores were buying back DS Lites for higher than what they sell for new and then re-selling them for even higher than that. This is done with any super popular Nintendo game as well rather than the store just ordering a ton of new units. This from the country where Nintendo most aggressively pursued its anti-used game/system stance (of course if they really wanted to stop their games from being re-sold they'd be at the forefront of digital distribution instead of just barely getting their feet wet now).

Quest for Glory II has the right idea, I feel like Nintendo is very inconsistent and eccentric with what standards of how the industry is "supposed" to work they cling to and what they're willing to change. I will say though that part of the reason it stands out to me so much is that Nintendo hardware was the absolute easiest non-SNK hardware to import games for until the Wii and then DSi came out.

That said, I can't believe anyone within Nintendo is against having achievements at this time. I mean the entire 3DS social experience is based around coins and achievements and unlocking stuff. There's an entire dippy JRPG parody that exists on the 3DS based around unlocking stuff and adding more Miis for its own sake. Is there a source for this anywhere? I'd genuinely like to know the reasoning for it. The no online for Super Mario Bros. I can kind of sort of understand but that seems just out of touch.

Reminds me of something I posted earlier in the thread from the Gamecube WarioWare manual though. It says outright that you need to have real friends to play a Nintendo game followed by Wario's laughter. :shepface:

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Oct 18, 2012

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

I was going to say, I can respect that outlook, but I don't think it's what developers or gamers want or need in today's industry.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Wasn't that how they got that statistic that only 10% of people actually complete the single player in games today or whatever?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

This is pretty awful. The only way it would work is if the gamepad has massive amounts of stuff on it even while playing with the pro controller. Like maybe the matchmaking/friend lists/whatever can still be done on that in between matches?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Vaerai Archon posted:

I thought the Metal Slug control issues could be negated if you used the GC controller? Because shaking to throw the grenade was bullshit. There is a fix to the USC's clipping though it just has to do with changing the menu options. Then again I played it on a 70 inch screen so many of the problems it had just weren't present on a larger screen.

The button layout on the GC controller is questionable (similar to the odd reversal of the Mega Man Anniversary Collection). The best way to play these games at home if you don't have a Neo Geo is to either get them off the Virtual Console, though this of course adds up, or to get the PS2 version of Metal Slug Anthology. If you only care about the best ones, 1/X/3, You could get X/3 off the Virtual Console and then buy SNK Arcade Classics Volume 1 for the Wii as it has a great port of the original Metal Slug along with great ports of Shock Troopers, Last Resort, Magician Lord, and several other great early Neo Geo games.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

That's an odd choice, given Rayman Legends was pushed off of the launch list and back to 2013. I guess they just had the demo ready and ran with it.

It's actually the first kiosk besides the Vita that's actually shipped with stuff built on the internal storage instead of having to wait for a marketing person to drop off a demo disk or whatever. They're probably going to have a disk with demos/full game disk for I'd think at least Mario. A surprising amount of the games it's launching with are rated M for a Nintendo system so that's probably having an effect also (it's not like the Gamecube games where FuncoLand would just pop in the Resident Evil 4 preview disk and let you go to town).

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Certainly they'll do both. Depending on how much people love downloading the newer Zelda titles compared to the original and Link to the Past on the Wii, they may not even need to. I know sales overall online for the Wii were an embarrassment but the top selling games on there were basically Zelda 1 and Mario 3 from the minute they became available til now. With that kind of popularity I don't think they'd even bother remaking any of their stuff.

BioTech posted:

How about the frustrating controls? The fetch quests? The musical notes thing? There was so much wrong with that game.

Twilight Princess just stuck with what worked and only added Wii stuff where it wouldn't damage the game. Skyward Sword just used it everywhere and hoped some of it would work, no matter what the result was.

I really wouldn't be disappointed if the next Zelda game uses the Wii U tablet as a map and that's it. No motion controls, no crazy interaction. If it ensures no more stuff like flying the bird with motion controls I can live with aiming my bow with the controller instead of pointing.

I found the controls to be really good myself (especially when compared to Twilight Sword on the Wii). What I didn't like about it was the way the game was structured. They had this premise with the entire overworld being a dungeon and having the open skies to explore and yet, there's basically no exploration in the game.

I really do hope Nintendo does what it did with their earlier games and let you use any controller combination for anything they publish. Especially since most of their games' controls are refined enough that there's no way you don't have enough buttons on the pro controller to make it happensd.

greatn posted:

I wouldn't write off Nintendo Land as a pack in game guys, considering every successive hands on preview finds more and more depth and content in the game. It has a lot more levels and a lot more satisfying single player than we initially thought from E3.

At any conference or whatever I've been to Nintendo has emphasized this, their along the lines of it not being just a collection of mini-games but a huge world to explore with tons of content and things to find. I figured it was just exaggerated marketing but this will be great if there's a straight up game in there too. I think we were talking about it earlier but I hope with all the games from different Nintendo franchises it has some sort of Namco Museum (well the first few volumes from the PS1 at least) kind of structure to it where you can learn about the history of their classic games and stuff.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Having a dungeon overworld is a great idea and reminiscent of the games that inspired Zelda (and to an extent the original Zelda itself) in the first place, just the implementation in Skyward Sword was very boring because it was based around making you focus on and constricting you to particular conflicts and objectives instead of giving you a ton of options and saying "do whatever." Metroid Prime 1 and 2, Zelda 1, Super Metroid, King's Field series, Link to the Past, Dark Souls, even Ocarina of Time and plenty of other games do a great job of having this dynamic where when you're traveling of near the entrance to an area things aren't so bad you can kind of bumble around wherever and find some stuff and learn where you could be going. However when you go way underground or get closer to an objective things are designed to gradually get more intense.

The actual level structure, sound design and enemy placement of these games (assuming you're not breaking sequence) has this incredible and clearly intentional ebb and flow to the atmosphere that Skyward Sword lacks. Unlike those other games it does a very bad job of hiding its linearity and, while the game isn't terrible, it's definitely a letdown coming from a franchise that was so important in the development of this type of experience in gaming. I feel like, as people take games more seriously now as artistic experiences or whatever it's actually lost relevance by adding in so much more hand holding and pre-set stuff rather than embracing and refining the series' roots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Yeah seriously if in the next wave all three of these guys are running a subscription based set up only I'm going back to Neo Geo/PC Engine 24/7.

Speaking of dumb pricing structures, is EA really still rolling out Mass Effect 3 for $59.99 when they're releasing the trilogy for everything else at the same price?

• Locked thread