Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
Edit: Beaten /\/\/\

Edit2: \/\/\/ - He didn't make it harder for you at all...

TaurusOxford fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Sep 16, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

FPzero posted:

I'd imagine Nintendo publishing Ninja Gaiden 3 for Wii U was part of a deal relating to Team Ninja working on Metroid Other M.

That's probably the worst deal in gaming history.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

MUFFlNS posted:

They obviously wanted something incredibly violent to try and attract core gamers, but forgot how terribly Mad World sold for the Wii.

Like Ninja Gaiden 3 is gonna sell any better? If Nintendo wanted a game to attract core gamers, throw From Software a ton a cash and make the next Souls game WiiU exclusive. That would do the trick.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Bobnumerotres posted:

The Wii U is catering to the core audiences again

There's no guarantee of that yet and you know it. If Nintendo keep titles like MHTriU and Bayonetta 2 on the console CONSISTENTLY throughout its lifespan, then you can say Nintendo is catering to us again.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

DoctorWhat posted:

HTML5 means Youtube, so I'm happy.

That'll come in handy. Youtube guides are so much better than wasting time trying to find poo poo on GameFAQs.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Rake Arms posted:

*I don't think achievements are confirmed for Wii U, but there have been a bunch of leaks strongly pointing to it. I personally don't give a poo poo if it has them or not, but I guess some people do?

I think Nintendo has said that achievements will exist only if devs want to put them in, which would make achievements useless since there won't be any dedicated Nintendo database telling the world how awesome I am at future Metroid games.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Vaerai Archon posted:

If you designed Smash bros. to be a competitive game like Tekken or any of the other real fighting games, you would lose of what made Smash bros., Smash bros.

First off they would need to trim the stable of Smash bros. characters to get rid of duplicates. Second, items would not be able to have the large effect on gameplay that they do. You cannot have a random element be a major part of a game that's deemed competitive. Third you would need to increase the skill that is needed to play Smash bros. You have no complex moves in the game at all, effectively making every character have equivelent move sets and combos.

This is pretty much why Power Stone never became a competative fighter. If you wanted it to be a serious business arena fighter you can't have all the other non-fighting based elements in the game. Fighting games at their core is all about perfecting a technique. Power Stone and Smash bros. are not about that.

He's not talking about turning smash bros. into Tekken. We simply don't want another game like Brawl that had its competitive aspects nerfed for "casual wackiness".

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Vaerai Archon posted:

I thought that's what the adjustment mensu were for? Or am I thinking of something else?

You can't adjust the horrible character balancing, floaty physics, and random tripping in the menus...

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Bombadilillo posted:

But I would NOT want a Smash Brothers that didnt have the availibility of all the wackiness.

It's fine for you to want that. However:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5098qGIuVps

I should not have to rely on fans to have to hack the game to make characters not lovely or to have some awesome 1v1 fights.

TaurusOxford fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Sep 18, 2012

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

greatn posted:

Yeah, but you know it will happen. It's a really loving weird custom.

I find it odd how you never see anyone run up and grab the console before it gets smashed. That's what i'd do at least if I had the opportunity.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Rake Arms posted:

If there's a silver lining to having owned only a Wii for an entire generation, it's that I'll be playing catch-up on last year's biggest titles for a while on Wii U, so I don't have to worry about a gaming drought :suicide:

Holy poo poo, may your wallet have the strength to survive the opening floodgates of quality gaming...

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Bobnumerotres posted:

Hopefully Nintendo will change this around a lot and offer an actual robust online shop with sales and such, but that they're even going online is miraculous.

You honestly think that Nintendo is gonna be on par with Steam right out of the gate? You're clearly deluded...

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Bobnumerotres posted:

I don't think that? I even said that they're even doing any of this is strange and new so hoping for anything more than basic stuff is reaching for the stars.

Well you're clearly hoping for something better than PS+ considering your post above complaining about it.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

greatn posted:

Surprised Rayman isn't on there. Saves me sixty bucks at least.

Is the wipeout series any good? Is that already out on anything? Just wondering if that could give a nice F-Zero fix.

Wipeout is out on PS3 and Vita. They're good games, but they just don't satisfy me like F-Zero GX did. You might get more mileage out of them than me though, so don't take my word as fact.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Artix74 posted:

So basically everything that's out now, plus a couple small bonuses. Is there any kind of transfer bonuses for having a Darksiders 1 save? Because if not, I have no reason not to grab this for Wii U.

If you have a Darksiders 1 save you get War's shoulder armor and a scythe that's based on the design of War's sword, but that's it. It's not even good armor.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

greatn posted:

Is Monster Hunter just basically world of warcraft with anime? What's the big deal about it?

HAHAHAHAHAHA no. This is Monster Hunter:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gSca95ZfnwE

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

greatn posted:

Back in 2006-2007, yeah.

Then you're either trolling or you remember jackshit about WoW.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Almost Smart posted:

It could also mean there aren't a shitload of them available for purchase on day one.

That's very possible. Nintendo could be trying the "launch with gently caress-all units, and then proceed to get on major news sites who'll stupidly report that the WiiU has sold out in record time in an attempt to make casuals think they need to hurry up and get one cause it's the next major thing" strategy.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Chaltab posted:

I watched the conference last year and I honestly I'm still not sure how people got so confused. Yeah, they emphasized the pad, but they were perfectly clear that it was a controller, not the system. They also showed the U, which is noticeably longer and rounder than the Wii, in the sizzle reels, and had both the sakura blossom and the Zelda tech demos that demonstrated graphics far above what the Wii is capable of.

It wasn't that clear. CNN still didn't know any better after THIS year's E3, and i'm willing to bet a lot of people who don't frequent the internet often still have no clue what it is if this video is any indication:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=FEJRURH2xiM

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

MaxDuo posted:

I realized immediately the Wii U was a new console when I watched that E3... I never once thought it was confusing / seemed like 100% nothing more than a controller for the Wii.

Many goons, however, were posting their raging hatred of Nintendo for releasing a new controller instead of a new console about 5-6 hours later.

Some of which had been posting angrily about it for hours, rather than having just seeing everything for the first time.

I don't get it.

Good for you? The fact that Nintendo even admitted the conference was poorly done kind of justifies everyone's confusion as to what the gently caress the WiiU actually was.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

OneSizeFitsAll posted:

Not sure quite what you're expecting from a cartoony, 2D platformer which is a launch title to boot.

Something that doesn't look like an up-rez'd NSMB Wii? The last two Rayman games are cartoony 2D platformers too and those games kick the visual poo poo out of NSMBU.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Your U is too small.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Teenage Fansub posted:

You gotta have the negative space U y'all. Here.

That middle line is pointless at that font size. It still looks like WiiW.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Policenaut posted:

Man, forget Brawl/Melee/Wii U SSB. The real question is whether or not Brawl Blog is gonna come back. That poo poo was the BEST!

I kinda hope it doesn't, but if it does the game had better live up to the hype that the blog provides.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Bobnumerotres posted:

I hope that Smash Bros. U will have a lot of content out of the box. I know for a lot of fans trying to remember hearing the Brawl disc load in your Wii for the first time is like trying to remember your toddler years but holy poo poo, not even half the characters and stages are available to you at first.

To make things worse you had to do ridiculously grindy things or play through the whole ten hour campaign to unlock everyone/everything. I still have missing trophies and poo poo.

It's definitely part of the fun, but drat. Keep 5, maybe 10% of the game a secret and have simple ways to unlock the characters. Not a massive barrier between you and half the game.

I wouldn't have minded unlocking the characters if Subspace Emissary was actually fun. It just felt like some shovelware Kirby game, which is ironic given the creator.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Polo-Rican posted:

I'm always vaguely interested in Smash Bros releases, but not sure where they'll go with the character roster. There aren't many more nintendo characters that will get people excited. Ridley and Waluigi would be great.

They NEED to fill up the Metroid roster more. Dark Samus and Ridley are two obvious inclusions, and they also need to update Samus' moveset and appearance. Three games in and she's still in her Super Metroid Varia Suit.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Artix74 posted:

So what, we should put her in the Other M Gravity Suit now? It would be cool to see the PED and Light suits as alternatives, I guess.

I'd prefer her Echoes/Corruption Varia Suit actually. I'm not holding my breath for Nintendo to give us proper alternate costumes for each character.

quote:

"Dark" versions of characters are almost always really lazy cop outs for character slots, just make them alternate costumes or something.

Nobody complains when Akuma keeps getting into Street Fighter/Marvel games despite Ryu already being there.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Policenaut posted:

Except Akuma and Ryu are actually different dudes? Ryu and Ken would be a more apt comparison.

Samus and Dark Samus aren't? It's not Dark Samus' fault you can't be bothered to remember enough about Echoes/Corruption to give Dark Samus a different moveset/playstyle to Samus.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Louisgod posted:

Apparently Nintendo is bad at both Internet AND HD.

To be fair this is the first time they have a console that's actually capable of doing both of these features.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Bombadilillo posted:

What did they do bad with the internet?

You have got to be loving kidding. Did you never own a Wii?

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Bombadilillo posted:

I never went online other then kids doing mii stuff/ youvote whatever and netflix. All those worked great. Never tried to game online.

(Not trying to troll)

That's the problem right there. To put it in short for you, online gaming on Wii was mediocre at best and a joke at worst. Third party developers generally had to work their rear end off to make their online work decently, and most of Nintendo's attempts at online play were a laughable trainwreck(see 4-player Smash Bros. Brawl).

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Atomicated posted:

Right but Nintendo is saying the Wii U is a next gen console so it should be superior to the 360 and ps3.

It was a next gen console six years ago. Nintendo hasn't quite realized that yet.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Chronojam posted:

TaurusOxford still hasn't realized Sword & Shield is superior to Switch Axe so I wouldn't worry too much about this.

Don't worry. I'll beat the monsters for you while you hide behind your shield in fear. :smugbert:

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

What if FFXV was... WiiU exclusive????

You thought the backlash to Bayonetta 2 was bad? Ooooooooo boy...

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Bobnumerotres posted:

Wasn't that another DS game that used the super annoying "use both screens and the space inbetween is just a big visual gap" thing?

Yes, and it annoyed the hell out of me.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Atomicated posted:

It'd be better than them not saying at all and letting people find out for themselves when they buy it. Which is what I assumed their plan was.

I'm still anticipating that we're gonna learn more about the online from launch buyers (goons) than we will directly from Nintendo before the launch.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

thexerox123 posted:

I've bought Chrono Trigger 3 friggin' times, Shinji Hashimoto. :mad:

Did you buy Chrono Cross three times? :v:

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Please tell me there's a matching WiiU for that...

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Not really. The only reason most companies do it is because they're built to a 'AAA-Checklist' of what's perceived will and won't make a game sell and online multiplayer is up near the top of the list. It's why it gets tacked onto a lot of games that never really needed it.

Besides, playing a zombie survival game on your own (preferably at night in a dark room) is all part of the fun.

If ANY game needed online multiplayer, it's ZombiU. Nintento's online for the past generation has been a joke. If anything, Nintendo should be pushing developers to put online in their game just to say "Hey, we're different now! We know you crazy Americans care about online! Here it is!".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
Nintendo: making my avatar relevant at all times.

• Locked thread