Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Puttblug posted:

I'm torn on whether or not to get a Wii U. I told myself last year that I'll only buy myself one next gen console. But some of these games look like a lot of fun. I just don't want it to turn into a dust collector like my Wii did.

Since your posting I can only assume your asking for advice. Get a WiiU, wait a year after ps4/xbox launch to see which one looks better or is clearly on top with exclusives you want. That game will probably be in a holiday bundle.

Nintendo will always have game experiences you can't get elsewhere, the other 2 may as well be the same. (Ill get the ps again if you dont have to pay for online) and if you follow my plan you will wait 2-3 years before dropping money on another console!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Disregard. October in fact does come before November. That is all.

Bombadilillo fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Sep 16, 2012

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Well that explains my confusion.

I was watching another preview for Rayman Legends. It seems that nobody is awre to the extend you don't get to play as Rayman. The video even wondered if the game would be too easy when you are controlling the frog. They clearly thought it was a coop only feature. Looking at the levels shown though it doesn't look like you can play the levels without the help, and if the frog guy is AI, then your just standing there waiting for the computer to open up paths for you.

Im still interested in the game, but this just got bumped down from a day 1 buy to a rent and see.

Bombadilillo fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Sep 16, 2012

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Thats why there are allocating only enough to supply North America first. At the detriment of Japan! Combine that will the preorders already selling out. They arent overstretching

Seaniqua posted:

So I gave in yesterday and preordered at Best Buy since Gamestop stopped doing Deluxe preorders. I tried Wal Mart, too, but the dude there said they aren't doing preorders.

The only thing I ever preordered at Best Buy was Skyward Sword, and that worked out fine. I'm concerned with this one, though. I asked the girl at Best Buy if they will get a set amount of Wii U's that they're allowed to preorder and she said no. This makes it sound to me that my Best Buy preorder doesn't really guarantee me a Wii U on the release day. Am I going to end up waiting in line at midnight for this thing?

Based on horror stories all over the last thread...yes. Bestbuy has a scary rep for preorders. Any Targets near you?

Bombadilillo fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Sep 16, 2012

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

XOIC of Radishes posted:

This was pretty much my philosophy with the Wii, and still is with the Wii U.

I like Nintendo's systems primarily for their creativity/novelty, and not for graphical performance. If I want a game that benefits from the latter, I'll get it for PC. Granted, the PC can be more expensive than either a 360 or PS3, so that may not be an option for some people. I miss out on a few PS3/360 exclusive games, but a good majority share a PC release.

I have to agree. Graphics are nice, but I've played too many games in my life and a pretty game thats not fun will get ejected in the first few hours.

That said, there needs to be a decent baseline in graphics. The wii looked horrible on my 65in so it has been hooked up to a 27 in ctr where it does fine and the kids use it for netflix mostly. Even if its graphics never got better then this gens I would be perfectly fine with it, because Nintendo makes games for games, not a pretty game thats only shooting people for 4-6 hours.

cat doter posted:

I've got external hard drives and SD cards lying all around the place. The idea that I would pay $80 more for such a minuscule amount of space is just laughable to me. Nintendoland just looks uninteresting to me, I'd rather put the money towards something I want to play.

I've been wondering, most games for the current consoles only get to use around 256mb for video memory (sometimes more on the 360 since its memory is unified), whereas the WiiU has 1GB. I'd love to see if this results in an appreciable difference in texture resolution, since that's a very easy way to make games look better. I've heard the console isn't quite powerful enough to be pulling 1080p in games like AC3, but if it's using twice the resolution in its textures, or hell, even more, that would be awesome.

I think you should go regular. It doesn't seem worth is for 80$. Hell if you arent interested in NintendoLand I wouldn't recommend deluxe to anyone! The NA price of 50$ for a 60$ game, plus some other bonuses makes it very much worth it here. Again, if your interested in NinLand.

Bombadilillo fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Sep 16, 2012

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Bobnumerotres posted:

It uh, isn't a choice between the two? And it's not like the graphically intense consoles only have gritty shooter #1426 as exclusives (albeit that's certainly the majority of them), there are awesome exclusives like Halo and LBP that make great use of the console's graphical capabilities to contribute towards a very pleasing aesthetic, and processing capabilities to contribute to things that simply wouldn't have been possible on the Wii.

Graphic and processing capabilities are also a big part of the kind of ports the Wii U will get, and this can mean something as light as "Wii U gets the same game minus the PhysX particles/tesselation," or something as bad as "Wii U isn't getting the game at all."

Now if the Wii U is a success and totally swallows the gaming market whole, developers will give not one poo poo how much stronger the other consoles are, they will make games for the platform their games will sell on. Development is not funded by magic and love, unfortunately.

Your right, its not a choice between the two. I just hope with the improved graphics the games dont suffer. I don't want Zelda to be a 1-=15 hour game now because they spent so long making it pretty.

I think we will get to the point in 3 years where games look a bit better on other 2 but the gamepad lets you x,y,z. Pick your choice.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Hobo Siege posted:

Console comes out, gets some of the scant few multiplatform titles still slated for this generation, new consoles with modern architecture come out, third parties and core audiences jump ship, software dries up, Nintendo release a few great titles mixed in with numerous low-content experiments and gimmicks, Mom games as far as the eye can see, life support.

I guess it'll be cool if you have money to burn and the current drought of console titles is really chafing you, but I just don't see the appeal otherwise.

Thanks for a pointless prediction?

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The Wii launched a year after the 360 so if you think you have some clever, "history repeating itself" thing you don't know what your talking about.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

What the hell is a "mom game" anyway?

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

^^^^^ Let me go into a thread about a new console and say how it sucks and will die in 1 year, For reasons! Why everyone so uptight?

zenintrude posted:

I'm assuming he's talking about things like this:

Or the "Mama" games.

Nobody ever bought a WiiFit.
Nintendo's core audience will abandon them.
History.
:reject:

Bombadilillo fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Sep 16, 2012

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Astro7x posted:

I'm assuming that huge Red spike in Wii sales was New Super Mario Bros. Wii, correct?

Yes. During the time of barren wastelands and "mom games" where everyone had abandoned the wii. You know, History.

...if only you could get that as a launch game :smug:

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Almost Smart posted:

A large part of the reason my love for Nintendo has waned over the years is because their brand seems to attract the very worst kind of fans, the kind who congratulate one another with poo poo-eating grins and share in the success of a company they had absolutely nothing to do with.

If you cant tell, that its a purposely ironic statement against Hobo Seiges assertion that the Wii's core audience abandoned it when the 360 and ps3 came out.

Anyway if smug fans is your kryptonite thing how the hell do you stomach reading about the ps3, or worse, the 360 fans, or worse pc supremacists?

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Bobnumerotres posted:

To be honest the Wii was pretty terrible for a gamer. Being a commercial success is great and all but NSMB is their "poo poo out as quickly as possible for obscene profit"

Which is why they had so many sequels of the title come out over the Wii's 6 year life?

Now Pokemon, theres a poo poo out for profit franchise.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Almost Smart posted:

I don't encounter any of those types of people in this forum. It's only the Nintendo ones, and I don't understand why.

Out of curiosity, beyond my one purposely smug post. Did the rest of the thread seem too self congratulatory to you?

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

goferchan posted:

Wow that leap is insane -- I guess it was included in a bundle at that time? I don't even consider myself super picky but even playing with a few friends I didn't find the game that great -- fun in the moment, sure, but not like really compelling or anything I really wanted to finish. That seems crazy to me how much of a system seller it was

Got kids? I played the game with my kids and it was great. From the best to the worst everyone had fun, hard section, theyd kill themselves and bubble till we could get past it and then come back. I don't see its as a great beer and chips college dorm game, but it was great at what it tried to be.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Also Mii's.

My kids love mii's, you have no idea how many pages of miis I have on my Wii right now. They have put hours into making them, and any game where you can play as them gets bonus points right there. So Mario platforming with Chewbacca and Jack Black mii's. NSMBU is going to be so drat fun!

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

horchata posted:

Does anyone know of a place still taking reservations for the premium version? Every GameStop ever no longer takes reservations for it apparently

It might be too late to preorder one. Id call around to tagerts, walmarts, places like that. You can try Best Buy, but the word is they are taking preorders with no regard for how many consoles they will actually get in.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

horchata posted:

The Walmart online store still takes preorders but you have to purchase the whole thing :(

Ouch. That sucks, their "bundle" is like 400 too if I remember.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

So no Nsmbu or ZombiU? Wow.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

What are you guy's looking at getting at launch?

I'm thinking.

NSMBU
ZombiU
Nintendoland from deluxe bundle
~Rayman will be rent and see.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Console architecture really inst comparable to a pc setup. Would it really bump a price up 100-200$ to double the ram? Is the ram used here that special? I know the edram is. I just don't get it.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

^^^^Ive heard rumors of that this round too! It wont happen until all players decide to do it at once. If either major player did that theys just drive people to the competition. I cant rent games? gently caress that.

Random Stranger posted:

If the XBox rumors wind up being true then I may just skip their next iteration. But that's assuming that they're true and you can't believe anything you hear about a next gen console until you get the truth right from the horse's mouth.

I hope the rumors are true because I can ignore the nexbox, I dont need another media hub and I hate kinect. If the ps4 isn't substantially better looking or getting games that can't be ported to WiiU I wont bother.

Bombadilillo fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Sep 17, 2012

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

So the gamepad has a camera right. So when games come out that give you a buy new bonus or some such, is there anything stopping them from having 2D barcodes or something similar as opposed to entering ridiculous codes.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The Operative posted:

They could, but I would imagine that it requires more effort for them to implement than it's worth.

Just one app in the homepage or store or however they set it up that gets the dlc. You cant "crack" it because its still just imputing 26 letters and numbers.

It would be useful for gift cards too. Just scann the card and moneys sent to your account! With a big focus on digital dist. I hope they are thinking about these things.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Im buying Nano assault right away, that thing looks awesome.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Let's see how this Bayonetta thing plays out and Nintendo might just get a taste for exclusive ip's that "hardcore" gamers want.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The graphical difference was absurd from Wii to Other this gen. No matter how big the leap the ps4/xbox is it wont be as significant.

Wiimote also didn't work well for all games. Hopefully people get used to using the gamepad/procontroller and realise the WiiU wont have lesser controls for the games they want. That alone should help 3rd party. As well as the year see that.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

zenintrude posted:

Why are home console graphics so much more important to developers, publishers, and the consumer when compared to portables?

For all intents and purposes a 3DS is equivalent to a Dreamcast while the Vita is somewhere between a PS2 and a PS3 (probably closer to the latter) and yet the 3DS is trouncing the Vita in terms of game support and sales.

Has there ever been a good explanation as to why graphics matter less, seemingly for all involved, on portables?

Combo of the DS being awesome and loved. And the fact that this 'gimick' was a cool one, glasses free 3d that you can turn off if you dont like it?

Contrast with the psp with wasnt much loved and the vita didnt seem that much more different then the last one. Its gimmick was lame, a touchpad where you cant see where your touching!

So its a lot of things like then. Consoles are more easily distilled down into "which one runs the games there all getting best?"

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

computer parts posted:

I think the other elephant in the room is the Kinect/Move. if Microsoft and Sony believe that this is the 'future of gaming' or whatever and insist that their next control scheme be a Wiimote-esque thing then developers may shift focus more to the graphically less demanding but (control wise) easier Wii U.

I think Sony safely abandonned the move. There was word that the next xbox would be built around kinect, back before people got tired of it/couldnt get it to work. They might still try to intigrate it into voice commands for EVERYTHING along with their media hub angle.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Louisgod posted:

Uhm but the architecture WON'T be similar enough, especially when you look at the numerous engines being made for the 720/PS4 and developer comments about how they're not supporting the WiiU with those engines (UE4, anyway). They will not lead on the WiiU when the new 720/PS4 come out.

You have a source for UE4? A quick google has a bunch of hits saying it will be on WiiU. But Im at work so most game sites are blocked.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

^^^^Thats good news.

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

Nobody should buy Nintendo handhelds these days until they have had two years of life. Those two years should be spent playing all of the DS games (or in the DS' case, GBA games) you didn't play at full price and ended up missing on. By the time you finish those (there should be around 30 different games) then go ahead and buy a 3DS.

Only reason I got a 3DS early was because I had the money on Boxing Day, it was $40 cheaper (so Mario Kart 7 was basically free) and it let me give my DS lite to my nephew.

Or get gamefly and rent sweet DS games!

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Bobnumerotres posted:

Of course every software engine developer wants the consoles to have turbo boost and run on rocket fuel. They're not paying for the gas, they're just slapping on their logo and grabbing up all the royalties.

Just look at some of the stuff Crytek has said they want in consoles.

Seems like the little developers are scrared how much better graphics are going to cost to develop.

The liscenced engine designers want it to be prohibitably expensive to use anything but them.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

I just assume that the tablet screen will get a virtual keyboard, it has to right?

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

TaurusOxford posted:

That'll come in handy. Youtube guides are so much better than wasting time trying to find poo poo on GameFAQs.

Plus dedicated ram, so you can pause game, pull up youtube without shutting it down! Good times. Every system will probably do this next gen I hope.

Android gaming has spoiled me for pausing anywhere and cominc back to that spot later.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

I want more information on using an external HD. Mainly does it have to a dedicated device? I have a 1TB drive I use for pictures and movies and whatnot with tons of space left.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Hope it works the same here. Also I want a drive with an on/off switch so its only running when I want to play a game off it, wont have to have it running all the time.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Hamburglar posted:

Considering the original Wii was able to power a USB hard drive and it wasn't even supposed to allow them in the first place, I am sure you will be fine.

I am not sure why some people want a power switch though because the drive will only run when the Wii is out of standby mode. They do not get power when the WiiU is off or in sleep mode. If anything, I'd think hard drives that plug into a wall would use more electricity, since it's not being powered by the WiiU; a device that's already plugged in and on.

My kids will used the WiiU for netflix pretty much nonstop, I don't want the harddrive going that whole time. Also I have one with a swtich so Im just looking at the advantages of that.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Well thats good news, since they arent sold seperatly and the cost was supposed to be around 170$ for one.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

TaurusOxford posted:

He's not talking about turning smash bros. into Tekken. We simply don't want another game like Brawl that had its competitive aspects nerfed for "casual wackiness".

I didnt know this was a complaint. Isnt that what all the match adjustments are for? Turn of items and its more skill based? Whats the specific complaints?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

greatn posted:

The characters range from "useless" to "no other character can beat this character in the hands of a pro", the system randomly will make you fall down giving you less predictability that what you tell your character to do will actually happen, the number of stages that don't completely interfere in the match are very limited.

Forgive me for not being versed in fighting games but from what I have seen every game had characters that get used a lot and that nobody would ever use in a real competition.

I dont mean to start a debate. Smash brothers obviously isnt supposed to be a 'professional' gamer game. But I would NOT want a Smash Brothers that didnt have the availibility of all the wackiness.

• Locked thread