Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
XOIC of Radishes
Oct 1, 2009

I planted radishes in this special dirt and they came up all weird!
:science: :ughh:

2012 posted:

Wii-U is cool on its own. You don't need to justify it.

This was pretty much my philosophy with the Wii, and still is with the Wii U.

I like Nintendo's systems primarily for their creativity/novelty, and not for graphical performance. If I want a game that benefits from the latter, I'll get it for PC. Granted, the PC can be more expensive than either a 360 or PS3, so that may not be an option for some people. I miss out on a few PS3/360 exclusive games, but a good majority share a PC release.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XOIC of Radishes
Oct 1, 2009

Ohtsam posted:

Anyone think they might make a DS player in the vein of the Super Gameboy and the Gba Player now that they have a console with two screens?

Interesting. Even though it would be possible, I think downloadable games have taken the place of such a device. Nintendo has seen that people are willing to re-purchase games via download just for convenience's sake, and the sheer number of those purchases without need to manufacture additional hardware is satisfactory enough for them.

XOIC of Radishes
Oct 1, 2009

I am sad to hear Epic Mickey 2 has frame rate issues. I pre ordered it for my mom's birthday, and it should be delivered today. She loved the first one, and she is kind of new to video games, so hopefully she doesn't notice it too much...

XOIC of Radishes
Oct 1, 2009

Shadowgate posted:

This lockup issue is getting really annoying and there are a ton of people complaining about it. Nobody else is experiencing this? It's probably happened 6 times since I got the console yesterday.

Someone on the Nintendo forums took a video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2UhaepkdFI

It pretty much happens at random in any Nintendo Land game, but other people are reporting it in other games as well.

That noise reminds me of this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P9bk_QLvc_c

Anyways, finally got my Wii U up and running (and updated...after a couple hours and several internet disconnections). Everything seems smooth, although I've noticed the audio from Nintendo Land is a bit unsynced between the TV audio and the gamepad audio (TV sound plays first, and a fraction of a second later, gamepad audio is played; quite annoying). Is this normal, or is this something I need to fuss about within my TV's audio options?

edit: Or maybe the gamepad audio is played first? I don't recall, but they are certainly out of sync for one reason or another.

XOIC of Radishes fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Nov 20, 2012

XOIC of Radishes
Oct 1, 2009

So far, things have been going relatively smoothly for the few hours I've been playing Nintendo Land. Only two notable issues:

1) I hit the Home button while playing Nintendo Land, and tried to return to the Wii U Menu. It got hung up when trying to load the menu, though, so after 5 or so minutes, I had to pull the plug (couldn't turn off console any other way).

2) I got that lovely freeze/buzz bug while playing Nintendo Land.

So far as we can tell, these are just software/OS issues, correct?

Also, I was able to fix the slight delay/slightly out of sync audio between my gamepad and T.V. Had to switch the A/V setting on my T.V. to "Game mode," and that made things nice and smooth.

XOIC of Radishes fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Nov 22, 2012

XOIC of Radishes
Oct 1, 2009

Are there two settings that need to be set to "English only" (one in Miiverse, and one in Nintendo land), or is it just the Miiverse setting? If there are two settings, how do you access the Nintendo land one?

XOIC of Radishes
Oct 1, 2009

I have a gamepad charging issue. Whether the remaining charge on the gamepad battery is high or low, sometimes it will simply not charge when either plugged in or set on the charging stand. If I move the charging cables to another outlet, however, it will work. However, I can only charge the unit from this new outlet a few times, and then it will cease to charge, making me need to move back to the other outlet. Devices plugged into these outlets continue to function; it's just an issue with the gamepad/gamepad charging equipment.

Has anyone run into this issue? If it is a hardware malfunction, do you think I will need to send the gamepad back, or the charging equipment?

XOIC of Radishes
Oct 1, 2009

Has anybody else had a charging issue where your gamepad stops charging at one outlet, and changing to another outlet will let it work (for x amount of time...then you have to switch back to the first outlet or another outlet)? I haven't touched my Wii U in months, but I've had this issue since release. I went to pick my gamepad up today from the cradle, and it had 0 charge; had to switch to another outlet and it started charging fine. Not sure if it's a charging cable issue or gamepad issue. Going to try and re-set the battery to see if it makes any difference.

The worst part about the issue is it's really random. It might start charging fine, then I'll come back a few hours later and see that it hasn't charged at all. And the switching outlet issue baffles me. I can't simply unplug/replug the cable into the same outlet; I have to move to another outlet entirely (note: the issue isn't with the outlets. Other devices plugged into them are fine).

If anyone can relate, I'd appreciate any input on the problem. It's irritating enough for me to want to get a replacement, but sporadic enough where I can't nail down exactly what is going on.

XOIC of Radishes
Oct 1, 2009

Sorry, one additional question:

The port on the gamepad charging cradle (where you plug in the charging cable) is a bit loose. That is, when plugging into the port, there is a little bit of "wobble" to it. Is this normal, or should it be firm?

XOIC of Radishes
Oct 1, 2009

Supercar Gautier posted:

It's got a little system of notches and guide-wheels that cause it to settle into place even if placed imprecisely, the tradeoff being that it doesn't firmly click into place.

Ah, sorry, I meant "this" going into "this":

I should note that plugging the cable directly into the gamepad = no "wobble." It's just this port that seems to be a bit loose.

XOIC of Radishes
Oct 1, 2009

WORLDS BEST BABY posted:

It said that the battery was low, so I plugged it in - but the orange light didn't light up. So I thought I'd try taking the battery out and putting it back in again, and now it doesn't turn on at all.

If it's similar to the issue I was experiencing, it might help to unplug the AC adapter from the outlet you're using, and try another outlet instead. Sounds stupid, but I've had a lot of luck with it.

And make sure the little arrow is showing on top when you plug this back in. Otherwise, it's upside-down.

XOIC of Radishes fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Apr 28, 2013

XOIC of Radishes
Oct 1, 2009

WORLDS BEST BABY posted:

Yeah, I've tried a different outlet and it's all hooked up right. I'm going to guess this is has something to do with having left the gamepad unplugged and lying idle for a week or so. Still, that shouldn't kill a battery.

Interesting that you should say that. I'm wondering if the issue I'm experiencing might have something to do with the gamepad just being left idle for X number of days, even when hooked up/on the cradle (since it automatically stops charging once it's initially "full"). It's been months since I touched it which would explain why it may have lost its charge in the interim.

XOIC of Radishes
Oct 1, 2009

Kilometers Davis posted:

Mine has done that since I got it. I think it's completely normal. The port just moves around.

Much appreciated!

I went ahead and set up a repair order with Nintendo. I played a bunch of Nintendo Land today, and even though the gamepad was plugged in and charging, eventually the charging light turned off (not from orange to blue; just off). Sure enough, even though it was still plugged in, the battery was draining. I unplugged the cord for 2 minutes from the wall/gamepad, reconnected them, and it went back to charging. Not sure if the problem is with the cord or the gamepad, so it all goes back!

XOIC of Radishes
Oct 1, 2009

I posted a month or so ago, but was still looking for some input on the issue I've been having.

To recap, when I've left my Wii U gamepad to charge on its cradle/when directly plugged in, the device will cease charging when fully charged. That is, if I were to leave it on the charger for the next few weeks untouched, the battery will be depleted because it stopped charging after the initial couple of hours. Furthermore, were I to use the gamepad and place it back on the charger immediately after this initial charging cycle, it will not charge the gamepad until I reset the AC adapter by removing it from the outlet for 2+ minutes. I have also had the experience of playing while the gamepad was plugged in, and when the orange light turned off, the battery on the gamepad began depleting as if it were no longer plugged in/being charged. Again, it seems as though the AC adapter is "tripped" after a few hours of being plugged in and charging the device, and then needs to be reset before further use.

I ended up sending in my gamepad and adapter for repair, and while the order said that both accessories were "repaired" and functional, I am still having this issue. Thus, I'm wondering if there really even is an issue to begin with; perhaps what I'm experiencing is normal. I have tried charging the gamepad using two outlets, and both have the same issues. Other devices plugged into these outlets (lamps) function properly at these times.

Does anyone else share this experience of needing to reset their AC adapter so frequently? If not, I was wondering if anyone has left their gamepad charging for a few weeks or more without use, and can comment on whether their gamepad is still fully charged when next used or if the battery has depleted by this time.

Any input would be appreciated. Overall, it's kind of an inconvenient thing to have happen, but not critical. Still, I'd like to avoid sending all of my stuff in for a replacement if there isn't actually a problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XOIC of Radishes
Oct 1, 2009

HellFox posted:

I actually noticed that mine did the same thing. I bought one of those Nyko USB->gamepad chargers and tried it after taking my gamepad off of the charger. It lit orange for a second, then turned off. I thought that maybe the USB AC outlet adapter didn't give enough amperage at 1amp (the Nintendo one is 1.6amp) but then I plugged it into the official cradle and saw the same thing. It was then I realized that this was normal.

I've been using my Wii U enough that I haven't run into your problem but I can totally see how it would happen. I saw one of these at Meijer (a regional grocery store) on sale yesterday and your post made me think of it--

http://www.amazon.com/APC-P4GC-Powe...c+timed+outlets

Could you set it to say, turn off at 2am and turn on at 3am every day? That would cause the gamepad to "unplug" and "plug back in" every day. Silly workaround I know...

Hah, a creative idea, but that would certainly do the trick!

More than anything, though, I'm glad it's not just me, so thank you for sharing your similar experience. Maybe there isn't a lot of material on this issue because A) It isn't really a big deal, and B) It's a bit of an irregular gaming schedule to only play the Wii U once a month and run into this problem consistently. So long as it's "by design," I can live with it.

And by the looks of things, I should also be playing it a lot more often in 2014, so maybe this problem won't arise as much at that time.

• Locked thread