Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

TunaSpleen posted:

Help me decide, goons: with preorders going fast, should I snatch up one or two more units so I can flip them on eBay after Black Friday for easy cash?

There were a lot of people who thought they could do that with the PS3 and got burned.

I can promise you that there will be mountain of people doing that with the Wii U so you're going to have a flooded secondary market to go with the possibility that the Wii U will get off to a slow start (though I think that's unlikely). You've got a get rich quick scheme that's pretty obvious and that's going to reduce your return considerably.

Basically high effort, minimal reward with the added bonus that you're killing your soul a little bit by trying to exploit people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Almost Smart posted:

You should clean out your bank account preordering those bastards and then hit up your parents and grandparents for more. Just check out the mad money being made, bro:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B0050SVHZO/ref=dp_olp_0?ie=UTF8&condition=all

Who cares if it makes you an immoral shithead? MONEY.

And hey, it's not like he's going to be abusing other human beings. They're just "yuppie parents spoiling the crap out of their brats".

TunaSpleen has already made up his mind and is looking for someone to pat him on the back and tell him what a clever fellow he is for coming up with this scheme.

It does bring up an interesting question, though. How many systems do you guys think the scalpers have preordered? I wouldn't be shocked if half the preorders are going to people intending to resell them. That's about the percentage of PS3's that went that way when everyone thought it was going to balloon the way the PS2 did.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

The rumours are all over the place, particularly in regards to the next Xbox which may or may not be positioning itself as a Kinect media hub first and a console second.

If the XBox rumors wind up being true then I may just skip their next iteration. But that's assuming that they're true and you can't believe anything you hear about a next gen console until you get the truth right from the horse's mouth.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Policenaut posted:

Yeah, pre-announcement console stuff can be some of the most outlandish poo poo. Anyone remember when people were saying PS3 would have "anti-used game tech" that would burn a serial code into your Blu-ray disc so it could only be recognized by that console?

That didn't stop people from claiming that all the next gen systems this time around would have that. :rolleyes:

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Bobnumerotres posted:

I don't even see why they need encouragement. You get to sell the game with one less middle man taking a cut of the revenue, and there's no expense for discs.

The problem with that is that nearly every single content producer in the transition to digital has seen that as an opportunity to pocket extra revenue instead of reducing prices to encourage more sales. Games, books, movies, television; if they were part of one of the big producers then the digital versions wound up costing more than the physical because of an absolute determination to live in denial of basic economics. Until there's a fundamental change in how content producers are viewing digital distribution the pricing is going to be bad.

(Before anyone chimes in, there are a couple huge exceptions to this in Valve and Amazon. Both of whom look at pricing from a retailer perspective and have economists on staff to help work out the optimal way that they can get people to constantly throw money at them.)

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Chronojam posted:

Hey now I clarified, I meant they were similar in that they skipped a generation. MGS is on odds, Civ is on evens. That's why it was a semicolon v:v:v

That still doesn't work. Where does Alpha Centauri fit in then? :colbert:

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

greatn posted:

Well preorders are basically sold out everywhere. It will be sold out everywhere for months. Even the PS3 with no games at $600 was sold out everywhere at launch.

The PS3 sold out everywhere for about two days and then sat on shelves for the rest of the holiday season. Anyone remember the Sony executive who said he would give people $1500 if they could find a PS3 on shelves in early December and everyone joking about how they could now be millionaires?

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

suddenlyissoon posted:

Am I the only one who really wants Zombiu to be so badass but each time they look at it they see the empty promise of Red Steel?

Nope. I remember thirty years of empty promises from game developers every time I preorder a game.

I still have my fingers crossed, though.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

japtor posted:

I also like how console launches make some people go kind of crazy with buying games. Instead of staggering game purchases over time, all of a sudden there's an impulsive need to buy everything they want all at once with the console.

...and yes I've done it before too :doh:.

You've got a shiny new toy. You've got to play with it.

I like to have three games when I buy a new console, myself. And I usually pick up another one or two in the next few months before I slow down to my usual wait for the bargain bin style.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Kurtofan posted:

Miyamoto gave an interview to a French website:
http://www.gamekult.com/actu/miyamoto-la-wii-u-et-le-secret-de-la-triforce-A105550.html

He says he is surprised to hear people want more F-Zero.

Let's be fair to Nintendo here. You could pick just about any game, set up a poll, and get people to demand a new version of it. I'm going to assume that Nintendo has a bit better understanding of what they can sell then what an Internet poll tells them.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Whelp, I just spotted my first Wii U scalper. On my local craigslist someone is selling his pre-order from Wal-mart for $600. :rolleyes:

I'm finding myself hoping that the Wii U gets off to a PS3 style slow start just so that anyone who does try this kind of stuff gets burned as badly as the PS3 guys did six years ago.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Boten Anna posted:

The appeal of a midnight launch is that they are fun StreetPass/Mario Kart parties and also it's a known quantity. I'd much rather stay up late and have a fun party and know I'm getting a system then spend a week or two memorizing the shipment times of every store in the area until I luck out.

I forgot about the streetpass stuff. Now I think I'll go by a couple stores that will have midnight launches around 11pm and collect a few.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Like so many of us my pre-order has shipped. :woop:

And because of work, family, and holidays I probably won't be able to play until next Friday. :negative:

Fortunately I didn't pay for extra fast shipping since I knew that this would happen.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Bombadilillo posted:

I've rented them before and payed them a bit and...its a fun concept but I don't think it has staying power.

Same here. Love the idea, I just find that there isn't a lot of game in the idea.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

HarveyVdarski posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3wSG2BGe3_c

Looks like ZombiU is a piece of poo poo! Thank you based gamestop for leaking your videos and getting that guy in tons of trouble. You can still cancel your ZombiU preorders kids.

I'm not going to take one review at its word because if I listed to professional game reviewers I wouldn't buy 90% of the games I love and would waste a lot of money on games I hate. That said, the review did raise a lot of red flags for me on things that I wouldn't enjoy; I thought ZombiU was going to be a lot less combat intensive and focus more on the survival aspects.

There's no harm in yanking my preorder. I doubt that there's going to be a game shortage for any launch titles so I'll be able to pick it up in a few days if the buzz is good when it gets into people's hands.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Aeros Wilhelm posted:

I'm getting NSMBU and AC3 with my premium (meaning Nintendoland as well).

I also want to buy a bunch of wii games that I didn't have the chance to get since I skipped it; I'm thinking Skyward Sword (maybe) and Endless Ocean Blue World (Zorak's LP in the LP Forums really makes me want this), any other suggestions? I'm thinking the Kirby collection game as well.

All of the Kirby games for the Wii are good though they're easy. They're the kind of game you kick back and relax with. Skyward Sword is the best put together 3D Zelda in my view (Wind Waker had better parts but gently caress that pointless, time wasting sailing). So they're both good picks. Pretty much any first party stuff for the Wii is really well put together including all the things that no one talks about like ExciteTruck/Bots, Rhythm Heaven Fever, and Sin and Punishment. And there's plenty of good third party games that no one ever talks about because people ignored the Wii like Muramasa, Klonoa (remake of a PS1 game that's done really well), and the de Blob series. The Wiimote functions best as a pointing device so all of the light gun games are a lot of fun; the two Resident Evil Chronicles games, the House of the Dead games, and Ghost Squad come to mind immediately. Hell, I even like the port of Trackmania for the Wii because of the four player split screen multiplayer modes.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Waffleopolis posted:

There's also one for Old Navy where if you spend $40 or more, you get a free copy of New Super Mario Bros. U. I checked the Old Navy here and said they'll have like 40 copies to give away, so it might be hard to get.

Closer to 5 per store. They've pulled this a few years and it is a rip off and you have to go through Black Friday shopping to get it.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

zenintrude posted:

Once again, take everything this man says with a giant pile of salt... he is the Armond White of game critics.

Take any game critic with a giant pile of salt. There's so many factors going into making game reviews worse than any other kind of entertainment review that you just can't trust any review that's out before a month after a game's release.

I cancelled my ZombiU pre-order because I was already kind of skittish about it and and the video showed me that it didn't look like the game I thought it would be. And I know that if it does turn out well I can pick it up Wednesday.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

parasyte posted:

Trip Report: Discovered that the Wal-Mart in town is no longer 24 hours! Closed from midnight to 6AM.

Gonna make the rounds by Target and Wal-Mart after midnight and see how the lines are (or aren't).

There was no one lined up at my local store. I didn't even get any street passes.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Is the YouTube app not working yet? I started it up and I just went to a description of it. When I hit the Plus button it told me it needed a software update to work but I didn't see any way to do that.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Thanks for pointing that out, though I had the system hardlock on me when I started the browser. I had to pull the power to shut it down.

Goddamn that Miiverse stuff is really annoying. It's like a constant stream of annoyance when I'm on the menu. I tried to find an option to stop it but I couldn't find it. Is there anyway to get rid of the crowd spewing stuff onto my television?

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Sonic and All Star Racing is way better than I expected it to be even with that bug that renders one course unwinnable. My big problem with it, though, is it's yet another game where 95% of the content isn't available the first time you start it up. I've got people coming over in a few hours and we're going to get some five player WiiU action going on but I need to unlock as much as possible so we have some tracks and racers to select from.

It doesn't help that the game is way harder than I expected it would be.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Original Gamer posted:

A few quick thoughts on Nintendoland:

Obviously Mario Chase and Luigi's Ghost Mansion are the big winners in the set. I wish Nintendo had spent more time making all the games deliver a unique gameplay experience like these 2 games do, where as most of them feel like tech demos designed to show off a single feature of the gamepad.

Speaking of these 2 games, the balance dramatically shifts when going from 3 players to 4. Even though the levels scale in size, playing as Mario was a huge advantage with only 2 chasers, and a much more even affair when faced with 3. In Luigi, the ghost has an overwhelming advantage when against 3 humans, but with 2 each person gets 2 lives before needing to be revived, and this actually seemed more balanced. Either way, can't wait for the chance to try both games with the full 5 people. Should be insane.

The only single player game I found remotely fun was the balloon flight. The others lost my attention within 2 minutes.

Actually we had a wild time with Animal Crossing and five players. The player controlling the guards had a target rich environment but the players could coordinate to steal candy. Much more than the other multiplayer games. I think the preferences were AC, Luigi's Mansion, then Mario Chase way below that. Mario Chase was more interesting to us with three players but as you noted Mario has a big advantage on that one.

Metroid was fun when we had two players but bumping that one up to five made things too simple. It seems Zelda had a similar problem. We did have fun with Pikman and three players.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Minidust posted:

- Am I correct in assuming that there is no difference between the Wii U-branded remotes and the later Wii remotes (that have "Wii motion plus inside" printed at the bottom)? Then I figure there's also the Wiimotion+ dongle for the old remotes, but I was just wondering if the two linked above were literally the exact same hardware. Shopping online turns up a whole of results so I want to be sure I'm looking for the right thing going into this.

You are correct. They're just second generation Wiimotes in WiiU boxes. They didn't even push up the price.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Minidust posted:

Aha!
Ooh thanks for this. Is that their usual price or some kinda Black Friday special? I'll probably just get one so I can have the rest in different colors.:kiddo:

Flingsmash has been available cheaply for a while now. I got it at that price before Skyward Sword came out so I'd have a good Wiimote for it. Since no one wants more copies of Flingsmash (it's okay, but no better than that) I bought one of the WiiU branded ones a few days ago so I could have a few different colors as Wiimotes got passed around at parties.

Another alternative is that Red Steel 2 has a Wiimotion Plus attachment with it and often can be found cheaply. Also, it's a decent game.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

Did some people say they didn't like the Youtube app? I really like it. It's nice and clean. Way less screen clutter. Makes Youtube feel like Netflix. I dig it!

It's the same as the YouTube app for the PS3 which was barely functional but usable to put YouTube videos on your TV. The problem is that it lacks basic functions like showing you channels and related videos and the search interface is worse than Bing.

Making things worse for the WiiU version is how the WiiU's web browser is much better at displaying YouTube videos than the YouTube app. It does everything that the app doesn't, has better display options for the video, and a better interface.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Bombadilillo posted:

Its gotta show more 'yeah!'ed posts more often. I refuse to believe a random sampling of WiiU users is as awesome as my Miiverse feed.

Yeah, it has to be something like that. While I'd prefer an option to shut it off completely it also is not nearly as awful as I'd expect from randomness.

I tried to shut it off using parental controls but that just meant I got a constant stream of Nintendo advertisements instead of the usual constant stream of nonsense.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

My television just died and I was sitting here thinking, "Of course is did right after I get a new console. Wait a second..."

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Seph posted:

Do you think the numbers will increase to anything close to Xbox levels? It's disheartening that no one is playing modes like ground game.

The Call of Duty players are really entrenched in their existing platforms and getting them to shift to a brand new one is going to be extremely hard. That's a process that will take a revision or two if it's ever successful. On top of that there's not a huge number of Wii U's out there to build a huge player base and the Miiverse numbers make me think that only about 10% of them are online.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

Because the fastest charging ones that I can find take at least 4 hours to recharge (http://data.energizer.com/PDFs/chdc.pdf).

E: oops wrong response

That's why you have two sets and one are constantly charged.

Technically I have something more along the lines of five sets and one always in the charger for when the currently used set run out but the principles the same.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

Have fun doing that with four controllers.

I do it with about ten, actually (four wiimotes, two XBox 360 controllers, a Wavebird, and a couple of other things). All I have to do is when one set of batteries run dry I pop a new pair out of the charger and put a dead set in to be charged. This isn't exactly rocket science.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

mfny posted:

Out of interest who here has bothered with a case/screen protector for the Gamepad anyway ?

I got a screen protector for mine after seeing some really aggressive stylus usage by some people. I haven't applied it yet, thought.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

ReliableSand posted:

Does Motion Plus on a Wii U just work that much better (in particular, better 1:1 sword play than Skyward Sword and Wii Sports Resorts)?

If so, why?

Actually, it seemed exactly the same as Skyward Sword to me though the enemies were a bit simplified. I figured it was probably the same code underneath.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Robolizard! posted:

I'll probably like it more on the pc version, but the frame rate and places itll randomly consider me out of bounds (i was on the edge of that bridge for half a second and it did the oob / zoom out while I was driving normally right after) have made me dread it somewhat.

It's glitchy even after the patch that finally made some basic functions work correctly but it's also loads of fun. And the Wii U version is the one that has five players in the same room and that was a pretty fun thing to do. If you're not setting up racing teams then you're not doing it right.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Tvii!! :argh: I was trying it out even though I'll probably never use it and my options for providers went off the screen. I couldn't make the page scroll at all so I tapped one of the buttons that was on the edge of the screen that I couldn't even see the name of hoping that would force it to scroll and now I'm locked into whatever that it. No option to go back.

As it turns out the only way to go back is to fully complete the set up, tap on the Mii face, then you can change your provider.

Since I don't have any non-internet way of getting television (I don't even pick up broadcast television here unless I want to put up a pretty large antenna), I was hoping that TVii might be nice to coordinate streaming services but the interface isn't geared around that at all. Oh well, I'll just keep using the streaming services the old fashioned way.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Louisgod posted:

Has anybody found it necessary to put a screen protector on the WiiU screen? I'm sure it's inevitable before it gets a scratch but am wondering if it's more resistant to scratches than say the 3DS or DS. I've heard the Hori one sucks, which is unfortunate considering their track record.

I got concerned enough that I put one on mine. I think it'll be okay since I'm more likely to use fingers than the stylus on that screen but better safe than sorry.

Unfortunately I bought the Hori one since I they had made good protectors in the past and found out that it was about an eighth of an inch too short. Of course I found this out after I lined up the protector with the bottom of the screen...

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

marauderthirty posted:

Wow.. So they have U's in stock at a bunch of retailers here locally, even though the impression that I got was that they would be hard to find until March or so. I only skimmed the thread, but it sounds like there are a lot of issues with the system. I'm not a Nintendo fanboy by a longshot, the last system that I owned myself was the SNES. I bought Wiis for my mom and dad, and borrowed one when there was a game that I wanted to play, or just used my roommates when they had one. I was going to get a U, but I was too little too late on getting a pre-order, so I decided to wait until they were available, rather than pay some inflated price on eBay. What do you goons recommend for someone in my position? I'm really only interested in first party titles, as I'll probably end up getting a PS4 and a Xbox 720. Should I stay away for now, and wait until they get some of this crap ironed out?

I like my WiiU but there's nothing wrong with waiting a bit. Patience is a virtue that's rewarded when it comes to buying video games.

The technical problems at the moment aren't that bad. Obviously they exist, but we're not talking about an Xbox 360 scale fiasco here. More on the scale of the out of the box problems you see at every console launch. I wouldn't let that be a deciding factor in the purchase.

I guess it comes down to if you want to wait about two years. That's roughly when Nintendo will be looking at the first price drop on the system. If you think you'll want it sooner then pick up a WiiU when you have the money. Or wait, since it'll only get better for you if you hold off.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Joramun posted:

Not if the 3DS is any indication, which it well might be.

The 3DS was a real aberration in historical console pricing. It's possible that Nintendo will repeat that but it's so unlikely that's it not worth talking about.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

gobbledygoat posted:

Bit.trip Runner 2 is coming to the Wii U eshop, I love the bit.trip games and runner is my favorite so I'm pretty happy to see this.

What happened to Bit.Trip's unique visual style? Those screenshots look terrible...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

VarrosAnon posted:

While I'll totally agree that GTA V won't come out because of specific Rockstar tendencies, I have a lot of hopes that there will be many more mature titles on the Wii U as Nintendo seems to be progressing and evolving past their near-censorship lack of support and encouragement for non-family friendly titles. And that's a really good trend for Nintendo to be taking, after 20 years of no-blood-in-Mortal-Kombat.

Is it really a trend if they stopped that twenty years ago and have published piles of mature games since then? They're not evolving; they evolved. Past tense. In 1993. What's happening with Nintendo's publishing policies with the WiiU is nothing new; this what Nintendo has been doing since before the SNES was off shelves.

Now there is a problem with Nintendo's image since it seems that most people's opinion of them, including those in charge of game publishers, is frozen at around 1990 which is why people are constantly saying things like "I'm glad Nintendo is finally allowing more mature games on their system!" them when Nintendo has published games like Killer Instinct, Conker's Bad Fur Day, and Eternal Darkness.

Edit: I should note that Nintendo probably didn't care that much about their image problem since other companies have the hyper-aggressive, young male demographic pretty well sown up and hardly anyone until smart phones came along was looking at the broader market. Which is why the Wii was such a massive hit while the rest of the game industry put their fingers in their ears and went "La La La! The Wii doesn't count! We're happy driving the industry over this cliff! Happy with it!"

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Jan 6, 2013

• Locked thread