Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
MykonosFan
Sep 9, 2012

Hows my homies training
going? Whaa? Hey! What
are you doing Ronald?

Hey OP. Great thread, but since you mentioned the amount of playstyle options available with the Wii U, you may want to include that Wii Balance Boards will work with the Wii U. Pretty sure that was confirmed the other day. Probably doesn't matter to too many people, but I haven't really seen anyone mention it since then...so it may answer at least a few people's questions at some point.

EDIT: Thinking of it, that was probably covered by "every Wii game and accessory"...ah well.

MykonosFan fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Sep 16, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MykonosFan
Sep 9, 2012

Hows my homies training
going? Whaa? Hey! What
are you doing Ronald?

greatn posted:

Nintendo should shuffle the deck chairs a little. Put a kirby guy in charge of Zelda, put Aunoma on Mario, put Miyamoto on one of the side franchises like Wario he hasn't typically worked on. I love all of their creators, there's plenty of projects to work on. If they want stuff to feel a little fresher and want the creators to feel like they are doing something fresher, shuffle them around a little bit.

This worked pretty well when the Kirby guy was in charge of Kid Icarus. Sort of an atypical example and a potentially polarizing opinion, of course, but...ah well.

Rake Arms posted:

Is it weird that I'm most excited about Nintendo TVii? Like, I'm always pumped for a new Nintendo system because I love their IPs, and there's a few great looking launch titles, but I suspect the first thing I'm going to do is set up my Nintendo TVii data, program the universal remote, etc (note to self: reactivate Netlfix/Hulu accounts). Unless there's some big Nintendo-style oversight that I'm missing, Nintendo TVii looks loving awesome. I knew they would need to step up their multimedia support to compete, but that came way out of left field.

Not at all. It's not the thing I'm most excited for, but I'm surprised with how much I want to play around with Nintendo TVii. And I'm one of those "I just want my game console to play games dammit!" types. Funky.

MykonosFan
Sep 9, 2012

Hows my homies training
going? Whaa? Hey! What
are you doing Ronald?

Chronojam posted:

I hope I get lucky with that, because of room layouts the toilet's just a wall away from the TV.

Works well enough for me and my TV is on the opposite wall, maybe 20-ish feet away?

MykonosFan
Sep 9, 2012

Hows my homies training
going? Whaa? Hey! What
are you doing Ronald?

Can not wait. These are the announcements that I've been waiting on since I got my Wii U last month. I've never played much Yoshi but I loved Kirby's Epic Yarn so I'll probably pick that up. Xeno2 is pretty much a must-have, and...Wind Waker HD...sigh. :allears: I also forgot how fun Balloon Fight was. I played it a ton thanks to Animal Crossing when I was younger, but I have gotten really bad at it judging by how well I just did. Can't wait for each month to come so I can build up my VC library for cheap.

Between all of this and the 3DS games I want this year, Nintendo is robbing me blind.

MykonosFan
Sep 9, 2012

Hows my homies training
going? Whaa? Hey! What
are you doing Ronald?

Yeah, pulling them just to sell them again on the Wii U VC would be pretty weird. I don't remember the exact pricing but I don't feel like the Wii U VC's costs are any more than the Wii's, if anything you think they'd leave them up there to get that initial 6/7/whatever bux, then get the extra 1.50 from people for the upgrade. Also the issue of "Why just the DKC titles?". I was bummed to find out they were removed because after playing Returns and watching two certain internet people play through DKC 1 & 2, I really wanted to give them a go for myself. If I feel really inclined I'll look into the Advance ports I guess.

MykonosFan
Sep 9, 2012

Hows my homies training
going? Whaa? Hey! What
are you doing Ronald?

Not to start spamming the Wii threads with deals, but Walmart has Kirby's Epic Yarn with free in-store pickup for :10bux:. And for those saving up for a Wii U, Costco's got your back.

Basic $244.97 USD Shipped:
http://www.costco.com/Nintendo-Wii-U-8GB-Basic-Set.product.100021629.html

Deluxe $299.97 USD Shipped:
http://www.costco.com/Nintendo-Wii-U-32-GB-Deluxe-Set.product.100021626.html

Hopefully this can help out any Goons who have been saving up for one. No clue how long these will last so get on them while you can. Godspeed Goons.

MykonosFan
Sep 9, 2012

Hows my homies training
going? Whaa? Hey! What
are you doing Ronald?

I was really banking on being able to play that this month. Oh well, some money saved at least?

MykonosFan
Sep 9, 2012

Hows my homies training
going? Whaa? Hey! What
are you doing Ronald?

While reading your post I was having flashbacks to the printer scene from Office Space. Good to see the system came out much better than I was expecting. Interesting looking.

MykonosFan
Sep 9, 2012

Hows my homies training
going? Whaa? Hey! What
are you doing Ronald?

Der Shovel posted:

Yeah that sounds like a plan. I bet both or either are also available as second hand games by now, and honestly I'm probably going to get both anyway.

Going back here, but if you watch Amazon Warehouse Deals, Very Good and Like New copies regularly appear for about $35-$40 USD. That's how I got mine. If you like Club Nintendo codes though, beware as it may not come with one.

MykonosFan
Sep 9, 2012

Hows my homies training
going? Whaa? Hey! What
are you doing Ronald?

If I recall Pikmin 2 didn't really have all that many copies published, even. I remember seeing a single used copy at a nearby Gamestop for years priced at $40 always wondering why it wouldn't go down. Then a few years later I got internet and saw that they were priced the same. Googling has always suggested that Nintendo wasn't really expecting it to burn up sales charts and I guess it didn't. Thank goodness for the Wii port. I love Pikmin and really can't wait for 3, but I can't help but feel a lot of excitement for Pikmin 3 is just Wii U owners wanting something to play, which is reasonable. Or a vocal minority, or Nintendo Land really spurring a lot of people to try the series. I dunno.

MykonosFan
Sep 9, 2012

Hows my homies training
going? Whaa? Hey! What
are you doing Ronald?

Zeeman posted:

Punch-Out is up in the NA eShop. I've actually never owned or played it before, so I'm pretty psyched.

There are a lot of classic Nintendo games everyone tells you you should love, but Punch-Out is definitely near the top of my list for NES games, it's just pure fun to me. Psyched to grab it later today.

MykonosFan
Sep 9, 2012

Hows my homies training
going? Whaa? Hey! What
are you doing Ronald?

Didn't Iwata or Miyamoto make their first Miiverse post saying to expect a Nintendo Direct on Miiverse soon? We'll probably get some solid dates then.

MykonosFan
Sep 9, 2012

Hows my homies training
going? Whaa? Hey! What
are you doing Ronald?

Supercar Gautier posted:

The wording for the Wii U VC is that they're launching with a selection of NES/SNES games, with GBA and other systems coming soon. That doesn't mean "those three and nothing else", they're just spotlighting the GBA as the new addition.

They could easily spotlight GBA as the new addition either way though. If you had N64 games on the way, why wouldn't you advertise that alongside NES/SNES? That's more incentive to buy into the Wii U.

MykonosFan
Sep 9, 2012

Hows my homies training
going? Whaa? Hey! What
are you doing Ronald?

Supercar Gautier posted:

They say "and other systems" right on their website, but I guess "and absolutely no other systems ever" could be a valid way of interpreting that.

Well, there's my point gone. I dunno, if I was in charge of that I'd totally let people know N64 games were on the way too. v:shobon:v

MykonosFan
Sep 9, 2012

Hows my homies training
going? Whaa? Hey! What
are you doing Ronald?

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

"Release window."

Better late than never I guess. Earthbound makes up for it in my eyes though. Can not wait for that.

MykonosFan
Sep 9, 2012

Hows my homies training
going? Whaa? Hey! What
are you doing Ronald?

I just wish they were telling when the update will drop as opposed to the VC lineup. Unless they're doing that too, which would be great. Really I'm just anxious for this update.

MykonosFan
Sep 9, 2012

Hows my homies training
going? Whaa? Hey! What
are you doing Ronald?

EC posted:

Am I losing my mind one brain cell at a time or was there supposed to be a patch today? I saw a bunch of new posts in this thread but it's the same old doom n gloom it always is.

The rumor was that it was coming out today, not sure anything official was said other than "this week". I hope it's today, I'm pretty excited for my console to work more better. Plus I want to get a couple VC games soon so tomorrow would be great.

MykonosFan
Sep 9, 2012

Hows my homies training
going? Whaa? Hey! What
are you doing Ronald?

I'm hearing Panorama View / Virtual Console is up on NA eShop right now from Twitter. Is that so?

EDIT: Yep

http://www.gonintendo.com/?mode=viewstory&id=201284

quote:

Nintendo may not have given a release date in their press release earlier today, but that doesn't matter now. If you hit up the Wii U eShop, you can now purchase the Wii U VC launch games, as well as Panorama View. You can find all this content under the see all button at the bottom of the main page. Thanks to Alan for the heads up!

Looking now and can confirm. GET SPENDING GOONS

MykonosFan
Sep 9, 2012

Hows my homies training
going? Whaa? Hey! What
are you doing Ronald?

Super Mario World on the GamePad is bliss. And being on the Wii U going out to an LCD flat screen the game looks so good. Can't wait for more games to come out. Also wow, Ice Climber is very...picky with its edges...

MykonosFan
Sep 9, 2012

Hows my homies training
going? Whaa? Hey! What
are you doing Ronald?

Crowbear posted:

Have there actually been any successful $60, 6 hour single player games? Not stuff like Call of Duty that has a focus on multiplayer, just a short rear end single player only game that sold well.

Not being snarky, I'm honestly curious and can't remember any off the top of my head.

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance can have about that length, if you wanna consider it successful (I do, thinking critically and with factoring my own enjoyment of the game in).

MykonosFan
Sep 9, 2012

Hows my homies training
going? Whaa? Hey! What
are you doing Ronald?

Policenaut posted:

It makes me really sad that Sega never got to make a Smash Bros rival because they have SO MANY IPs holy crap.

The Transformed developers (Sumo Digital) have entertained the idea of a SEGA fighting game, for what it's worth. Don't know how well it'd go though; both of their SEGA racing games were fantastic, but if you look through Sumo Digital's library it's a lot of great racing games. It's a field they're pretty experienced in. It would definitely be interesting either way.

MykonosFan
Sep 9, 2012

Hows my homies training
going? Whaa? Hey! What
are you doing Ronald?

The last one is the best one, without a doubt.

"Uhh...yeah...where's the HD button again? TIA help mii soon"

MykonosFan
Sep 9, 2012

Hows my homies training
going? Whaa? Hey! What
are you doing Ronald?

Vrikkian posted:

It's worth the extra $2.

Definitely. I'm not sure there's many other digital SNES games I'd blindly plop down that cash for in 2013 but goodness gracious I have not regretted it with Earthbound. I can see why this game got such a dedicated following.

MykonosFan
Sep 9, 2012

Hows my homies training
going? Whaa? Hey! What
are you doing Ronald?

I've got one coming my way. :whatup:

Something tells me the modest poo poo-eating grin and apprehensive eyebrows are sold separately, though.

MykonosFan
Sep 9, 2012

Hows my homies training
going? Whaa? Hey! What
are you doing Ronald?

As if I wasn't sold on this game already. Wow.

MykonosFan
Sep 9, 2012

Hows my homies training
going? Whaa? Hey! What
are you doing Ronald?

If there's a psychotic cyborg ninja in this game...well, I'm already 100% confident I'll love TW101, so that'd bump it up to about 200%.

MykonosFan
Sep 9, 2012

Hows my homies training
going? Whaa? Hey! What
are you doing Ronald?

Zeether posted:

Apparently Yakuza 1+2 HD did pretty bad in Japan, didn't even hit the top 50 in sales :smith:

I'd buy it in an instant here in the States. And then I'd buy it in an instant on the PS3 to have it with the rest of the games on one system (disregarding Kenzan and the PSP games).

But SEGA.

MykonosFan
Sep 9, 2012

Hows my homies training
going? Whaa? Hey! What
are you doing Ronald?

They're also super expensive, I recall gaming sites posting articles about this one dude who had to pay some amount in the $100-150 USD range for a replacement Game Pad or something like that?

MykonosFan
Sep 9, 2012

Hows my homies training
going? Whaa? Hey! What
are you doing Ronald?

The most exciting bit of this for me is the hope that Wind Waker HD is coming out on September 20th, instead of the October 4th release date gaming sites were just talking about a few days ago.

The image they posted on their Facebook gives some release dates:

That's only a few weeks closer but makes me so much more excited. I can't wait to play it.

MykonosFan
Sep 9, 2012

Hows my homies training
going? Whaa? Hey! What
are you doing Ronald?

Crowbear posted:

It has a download voucher for a digital copy apparently.

I was going to joke about this, that's expected and disappointing.

DarkHamsterlord posted:

That would be hilarious, because then Nintendo's release schedule would put W101 in direct competition with GTAV and Wind Waker HD.

W101 and WWHD would be in the same week, no less. Sorry in advance Platinum, we still love you.

MykonosFan
Sep 9, 2012

Hows my homies training
going? Whaa? Hey! What
are you doing Ronald?

Well poo on that. Just found something for you European fans though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tL7OiHU6Y48

Wind Waker HD Limited Edition AKA "This one comes with a badass Ganondorf statue thing". Crossing fingers for a US version / not costing $120.

MykonosFan
Sep 9, 2012

Hows my homies training
going? Whaa? Hey! What
are you doing Ronald?

Dixie looks a tad daft. I'm very excited to play this though. Crazy to think that in a few weeks a stream of games I can't wait to play are finally coming out for the Wii U. My wallet aches in anticipation.

MykonosFan
Sep 9, 2012

Hows my homies training
going? Whaa? Hey! What
are you doing Ronald?

Crowbear posted:

Seems like it's coming to the US as a Gamestop exclusive for $54.99 which is a WAY better deal than the EU bundle.

I was gonna grab the digital version early but screw missing out on that sweet Ganondorf statue :getin:

Do you have a link or anything? Not that I don't trust you, just don't want to miss out. :shobon:

EDIT: I'm seeing news sites mention this, maybe I just need to scour the GameStop website harder or wait for them to actually list it.

MykonosFan
Sep 9, 2012

Hows my homies training
going? Whaa? Hey! What
are you doing Ronald?

It's probably pretty safe to assume they didn't update Wind Waker HD's soundtrack, isn't it? I figure if they had put the effort into that it would've been touted as a selling point by now. :( I know they didn't touch Ocarina of Time's soundtrack, but was holding out hope for WW.

MykonosFan
Sep 9, 2012

Hows my homies training
going? Whaa? Hey! What
are you doing Ronald?

Lizard Wizard posted:

Yeah man, I remember Wind Waker's soundtrack being bad and awful too.

Because I said it was bad...? Haha. I love Wind Waker's soundtrack. I just hate the MIDI-ness of it, the only thing that could make it better is to be performed. The Symphonic Suite still makes me well up a good bit if I can be honest, that's why I was hoping it was redone to some capacity for this release. Zelda Re-Orchestrated just spoiled me, I guess.

MykonosFan
Sep 9, 2012

Hows my homies training
going? Whaa? Hey! What
are you doing Ronald?

So, Goons. It seems like Wind Waker HD's OST got a face lift after all.

http://flanoirbunny.tumblr.com/post/60422679967/so-i-was-watching-this-footage-of-wind-waker-hd

Beyond happy about this. Just a few more weeks...

MykonosFan
Sep 9, 2012

Hows my homies training
going? Whaa? Hey! What
are you doing Ronald?

Legdiian posted:

So I missed the bus on that Wind Waker HD special edition with figurine didn't I? Was this a pre-order only thing or is there a chance I could actually pick one of these up on launch day?

Ask a local store just in case. I've seen a couple people here and there with stores that still had a few pre-orders available.

MykonosFan
Sep 9, 2012

Hows my homies training
going? Whaa? Hey! What
are you doing Ronald?

greatn posted:

Digital all the way. I will never understand some of you people's obsessions with physical copies.

You can actually hold and read a book though. You can't hold and read a disc. It has to go in the system where you no longer even see it.

I really like the Ganondorf figure, even if it means I have to wait 2 weeks longer than I'd have to otherwise. v:shobon:v

MykonosFan
Sep 9, 2012

Hows my homies training
going? Whaa? Hey! What
are you doing Ronald?

Lord Lambeth posted:

So I got the Wii U/Wind Waker pack and it's...ehhh. I should not have played Wind Waker a month ago, because once the novelty of how pretty and awesome sounding the game was wore off I got bored.

This is why I don't understand people who go back and play the original before a remake comes out, or games that have very similar game play before a new entry releases (Pokemon, for example). It just seems like a fast track to burn yourself out. As far as remakes go it would definitely make you appreciate all the nuances and updates, but...I try to hold off on them for a long time before-hand just to help make sure I can really get into it.

I dunno. :shobon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MykonosFan
Sep 9, 2012

Hows my homies training
going? Whaa? Hey! What
are you doing Ronald?

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

The Chao/A-Life stuff was the brainchild of one specific dude who left Sega after SA2, hence the death of Chao gardens.

To add on to this, one of the lead Chao programmers, Yoshihisa Hashimoto, left after he created the Hedgehog Engine and directed Unleashed. He's now doing fancy graphics engine stuff for Square Enix, I think specifically he's doing the Luminous Engine but I'm not sure. I'd need to check his FB again.

For all you hopefuls, at Sonic Boom the head of Sonic Team was made aware that people do indeed like Chao (despite what I see everywhere else online, amazed to see people here supportive of it), so hey. Who knows. I think it's pretty unlikely, but I used to run one of the biggest Chao sites on the web so seeing that people still like them even today warms my crusty old heart. I think if they cut out the whole "Chao Races required for 100% completion (AKA Emblems)" even people who don't care about them would be fine with it. I'll always keep my fingers crossed regardless. Anyways I guess this is kind of completely off-topic so I'll shut up now.

• Locked thread