Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Almost Smart
Sep 14, 2001

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway. when you had sex with me and that monkey
I've never actually watched that NSMB trailer before. Having the ability to make platforms where and whenever you want kind of violates the spirit of the game, doesn't it?

TunaSpleen posted:

Help me decide, goons: with preorders going fast, should I snatch up one or two more units so I can flip them on eBay after Black Friday for easy cash?

You should clean out your bank account preordering those bastards and then hit up your parents and grandparents for more. Just check out the mad money being made, bro:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B0050SVHZO/ref=dp_olp_0?ie=UTF8&condition=all

Who cares if it makes you an immoral shithead? MONEY.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Almost Smart
Sep 14, 2001

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway. when you had sex with me and that monkey

cat doter posted:

Is there any point to getting the 'pro' pack if you can expand the internal memory with USB storage? Is it going to be that only certain things can be on the internal memory, or is it going to be more open? I ask because the regular ol' white version is only $50 more in Australia (HOLY poo poo :siren: :supaburn: :siren:) but the 'pro' version is $80 more.

Not sure anyone would even know, but might as well ask.

The only reason to get the deluxe version is to get NintendoLand for about $10 cheaper than retail, plus a system stand and gamepad cradle. As far as internal storage is concerned, 8 and 32GB are almost equally useless if you plan on downloading demos or digital titles.

Almost Smart
Sep 14, 2001

Eej posted:

Also it's black.

Yeah, I guess there's that too if that kind of thing is important to you. My Wii U is going in the same place occupied by my Wii - literally right behind the tv (I have an LCD sitting on a stand originally made for one of those fat rear end CRTs). In my case, the Wii U could be adorned with rhinestones in the image of two guys loving and it wouldn't make much difference to me. Your mileage may vary though.

Almost Smart
Sep 14, 2001

Sushi X posted:

Admittedly the launch lineup for the Wii U looks very impressive though a lot of the games seem to be souped up ports that you can find on a 360 or ps3. Nintendo is showing more willingness to branch out and attract "core" gamers this time around, which is very commendable. The Nintendo brand itself does not hold the same luster that it once did.

That's kind of my assessment of things too. Nothing shown for the Wii U thus far seems out of reach for 360 or PS3 (unique control schemes notwithstanding), and I would say there probably are some legitimate concerns on how well the U will ultimately hold up against those systems' successors. It's honestly too early to tell how things are going to shake out, but I don't see why it should matter. The Wii U seems pretty affordable, and if gaming is a serious hobby of yours, I'm sure you'll be able to scrounge up the cash for another system over the following year or two.

Almost Smart
Sep 14, 2001

Bombadilillo posted:

Yes. During the time of barren wastelands and "mom games" where everyone had abandoned the wii. You know, History.

...if only you could get that as a launch game :smug:

A large part of the reason my love for Nintendo has waned over the years is because their brand seems to attract the very worst kind of fans, the kind who congratulate one another with poo poo-eating grins and share in the success of a company they had absolutely nothing to do with.

Almost Smart
Sep 14, 2001

Bombadilillo posted:

Anyway if smug fans is your kryptonite thing how the hell do you stomach reading about the ps3, or worse, the 360 fans, or worse pc supremacists?

I don't encounter any of those types of people in this forum. It's only the Nintendo ones, and I don't understand why.

Almost Smart
Sep 14, 2001

YorexTheMad posted:

This just seems puerile.

"The games look the same, so it's a problem that they cost the same."

Should they cost less for an identical product, for some reason?

Yeah, I'm confused by this too. I'm accustomed to paying $60 for PS3 and Xbox360 games, so if Wii U launch titles are in the same league graphically, why shouldn't they cost the same? I wouldn't complain if they gave them to me for cheaper, but I don't see where the expectation to get them for $50 is coming from.

Almost Smart
Sep 14, 2001

That honestly doesn't look much better than DQ8 on the PS2 that released back in... 2006 I think? I don't know if that's a knock against the Wii U or a testament to how good DQ8 is though.

Almost Smart
Sep 14, 2001

Has Nintendo said whether VC titles will be playable through the gamepad's screen? Having the "real" versions of LttP and Final Fantasy 3/6 as portables would be a dream come true.

2012 posted:

I just got the itch to start giving a poo poo about purchasing a Wii-U. Since preorders seem to be out, am I going to have to wait in line at midnight at this point?

Good luck. It's not impossible to get one by any means, but after waiting out in the cold and rain for both the 360 and Wii, I'm never doing it again.

Almost Smart
Sep 14, 2001

Maybe it's still too early, but is there any info on what AC3 brings to the table beyond the 360 and PS3 versions (besides the obvious gamepad-related fluff)?

Almost Smart
Sep 14, 2001

After MGS4, I'm not sure how many MGS fans are left to piss off.

Almost Smart
Sep 14, 2001

Oh Dreamcast controller :allears: Could you have been designed any worse?

Almost Smart
Sep 14, 2001

The Saturn analog pad is no prize pig either, but at least it's got the cord coming out of the right end.

Almost Smart
Sep 14, 2001

It could also mean there aren't a shitload of them available for purchase on day one.

Almost Smart
Sep 14, 2001

greatn posted:

The songs in the games I've seen(I haven't seen any of 2) are all very musically distinct. They have the same flavor and usually same instruments but it isn't the same music at all. I actually like the theme in the video for NSMBU, but like all of you I really hate the "wah"s they keep putting in. It is totally unnecessary and detracting.

NSMB2 looks, plays and sounds like a romhack of NSMB Wii. There's no original music in it as far as I can tell. Hell, I think the world layouts are ripped directly from the Wii too. Grass, desert, winter, water, lava... no surprises whatsoever. loving Madden and Call of Duty updates have more originality in them than NSMB at this point.

Almost Smart
Sep 14, 2001

Monode posted:

I really hope this is them going "Well poo poo people don't want Murphy levels? Guess we'd better take them out". Because I will gladly wait longer if that's the case.

The Murphy levels sound like they're the only things that take advantage of the Wii U controller, so taking them out... would actually be pretty smart on Ubisoft's part. Then they could release the game on PS3, 360, PC and your microwave and make a hell of a lot more money than they would ever see with a Wii U exclusive.

Almost Smart
Sep 14, 2001

Teenage Fansub posted:

big text doesn't facilitate the centered one, but how about

Just use this one so we don't waste another page squinting at teeny tiny thread tags that most people will pass over in lieu of "SEX" or something similarly inappropriate.

Almost Smart
Sep 14, 2001

ZombiU is one of those games no one would give much of a poo poo about if it was released later in the console's life. That's not to say it's going to be a bad game or anything, but what I've seen just seems so... average. It's got weekend rental written all over it.

Almost Smart
Sep 14, 2001

Smuckles posted:

We sat there for about a half hour playing Rayman together and agreed that the system would be a must-purchase.

Instead of letting your PS3 gather dust, you and your girlfriend could have used it to play the excellent and probably nigh-identical Rayman Origins.

Almost Smart
Sep 14, 2001

I finally saw a Wii U commercial on the television. I'm sure NSMBU will be great (I preordered it months ago), but I'm not sure that's what you should lead with if you want to demonstrate your brand new HD system.

Almost Smart
Sep 14, 2001

suddenlyissoon posted:

I've never been a Rayman fan but drat is that game pretty. Stopped in to Gamestop to try it and I was blown away graphically.

I was less than impressed by the quality of the gamepad screen. Maybe I'm just spoiled by my phone and Vita, but that screen was kind of a letdown. I wouldn't want to play a significant portion of a game on it.

Almost Smart
Sep 14, 2001

Game over. Wrap it up, Wii U-ailures.

And you thought the iPhone killing handheld gaming argument was dumb.

Almost Smart
Sep 14, 2001

Head's up - if you placed an online preorder with Gamestop, they're starting to charge cards already. I mention this only because my bank sent me a potential fraud alert this morning and I had to confirm that the purchase was legit.

Almost Smart
Sep 14, 2001

What's the fascination with a midnight Wii U launch anyway? It has a solid launch library as far as these things go, but nothing there really screams "Oh God, can't wait gotta play it NOW."

Almost Smart
Sep 14, 2001

Rirse posted:

Is anyone else kinda excited to just use the controller as a mini-tablet?

The single-touch interface would instantly render it the most obsolete, crippled mini-tablet on the market today. It sounds lame, but what I'm most excited about is having the tablet to sort through my inventory on the fly in the inevitable Dark Souls 2, should it arrive on the Wii U. I know it's not a very imaginative use of the tablet, but it would be a godsend for what essentially would be the only game I would play for the following year.

Almost Smart fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Nov 15, 2012

Almost Smart
Sep 14, 2001

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Nah, not really.

Yeah, pretty much. It's 2012, not 2002.

Almost Smart
Sep 14, 2001

greatn posted:

I saw skyrim still has a subforum as well as Saint's Row 3 over a year later, so I figured maybe.

If people want game-specific threads, I say they should go ahead and make them. As far as I know, there's no mandate that everything be lumped together in a huge megathread. I get something like 95% of my gaming news and information from this forum, so if I don't see a game mentioned here (which can be difficult if it's buried in a 100+ page thread) I probably won't know that it even exists.

Almost Smart
Sep 14, 2001

Glumwheels posted:

Has anyone been able to pick up a Wii U game yet that's already been released?

edit: Like AC3, Batman, or Rabbids? They're all supposed to be out on 11/13 and Best Buy says you can pick them up on their website.

I picked up AC3 on Wednesday. The Gamestop guy didn't even know they had them in stock until I asked. The manual is a scant three pages long, but it sounds like the gamepad can be used to clear the HUD from the main screen or you can play the whole game off of it if you'd like to free up the tv.

edit: Also, next week is going to be absolutely ridiculous. In addition to the Wii U and AC3, I've got NSMBU and Persona 4 Golden coming in. And if that's not enough, episode 5 of the Walking Dead is also coming out on Tuesday. To make things even better, I have Thursday and Friday off for the holiday. Unless I win the lottery, Christmas is going to be a huge disappointment in comparison.

Almost Smart fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Nov 16, 2012

Almost Smart
Sep 14, 2001

I checked the tracking number on mine. Even though I paid for two-day shipping, they seemed to have bumped it up to overnight out of the goodness of their hearts. Or maybe because I'm a few hour drive from one of their distribution centers. Either way, it's guaranteed to be here Monday morning :dance:

Almost Smart
Sep 14, 2001

Bombadilillo posted:

Now I'm just being contrary because I want it to be good and everyone everywhere so far has said the game is awesome in previews and I will be pissed if that was all lip service.

That's what previews are though. It's understood that the final product isn't being shown, so the journalist tries to avoid passing judgment. It's also easy to be optimistic when the developer is there talking up the game and all the wonderful things they're planning to implement. I don't want to beat a dead horse, but it really does sound like Zombi U is the Wii U's version of Red Steel.

Look for a bevy of posts claiming "It's not that bad" and "I think it's pretty awesome" over the next few days that gradually get replaced with "gently caress :("

Almost Smart
Sep 14, 2001

Bombadilillo posted:

You say this like it's the majority opinion. It's not. You didn't like it, cool. Why are you so shocked other people did? Most people loved it. Dont pretend like you didn't know that.

You're as bad as he is. At least around these parts, the overall consensus was that it was an ok to good game, nothing awful but nothing terribly special either.

Almost Smart
Sep 14, 2001

bluegoon posted:

Would it be a terrible idea to buy a 3DS (The 3DS Xl looks like a beast!) alongside the WiiU? Are they going to be aggressively interchangeable?

$200 impulse buys are always good decisions. Always. But if you're the skeptical type, you might want to research the system and its games in a bit more depth before taking the plunge. The 3DS isn't going anywhere. You can walk into any retailer on any given day of the week and walk out with a 3DS with no problems whatsoever.

Almost Smart
Sep 14, 2001

I was in Meier this morning, and although I already have a Wii U on schedule for delivery tomorrow, I decided to swing by the electronics section for shits and giggles (and to potentially get the huge rear end day one update out of the way early). Anyway, they were of course sold out, but their entire allotment was only a measly 10 systems (6 standard, 4 deluxe). For reference, this is the same Meier that had 80 odd Wiis for sale back on the 2006 launch. I don't know if there's any conclusions to be drawn from this, but Nintendo's claims of having adequate stock on hand to meet demand are starting to sound like a load of bullshit. Good luck to those of you pounding the pavement this morning.

Almost Smart
Sep 14, 2001

Ulio posted:

What's up with this ZombiU? I am hearing its the surprise of the launch titles or something.

Surprise! It's only so-so. People expecting a break-out hit and people expecting diarrhea in a disc format will both be disappointed.

Almost Smart
Sep 14, 2001

I really like how the pro controller feels in my hand, but the button placement is going to take some getting used to. I can definitely see my thumb cramping up after prolonged play. Nintendo already aped so much of the 360 pad I kind of wish they just said "gently caress it" and mirrored the stick placement too.

Almost Smart
Sep 14, 2001

I don't think I've ever seen a new console thread go through such a rapid about-face. Over the course of 24 hours, it transitioned through anticipation, joy and then landed on sheer dread. I guess it will take some time (and a steady flow of quality games) to erase the memory of the last 3-4 years gaming on the Wii.

I like the system thus far, but it really does seem to feel a bit out of time and place. It feels like the original Wii ought to have released in 2005 alongside the 360 and the Wii U should have succeeded it back in 2009. I guess there's really no point in musing over "what should have been" though. It is what it is. That said, there's really nothing stopping me or anyone else from supplementing the Wii U with a "real" next-gen system later down the road.

Almost Smart
Sep 14, 2001

The Amazon Video app is really freaking sluggish compared to the PS3's. Being able to search with the gamepad should facilitate things, but in my experience it's so slow and cumbersome that it's better to just use the directional buttons and find your stuff the old-fashioned way. Video playback is flawless though. I'm currently sitting in my pajamas, watching Christmas Vacation on my Wii U on Thanksgiving, and everything is right with the world.

Almost Smart
Sep 14, 2001

Q_res posted:

Even if the doomsayers are correct, it still won't be as bad as the Wii was. Didn't the Wii have something absurd like a 2MB frame buffer? Regardless, it was on the wrong side of the HD divide. I expect the gap between the Wii U and the other next gens will be closer to PS2 vs XBOX than Wii vs 360.

We have no way of knowing how the Wii U will fare against the new consoles until we get more information about them. It could be the difference between an Xbox and a PS2 like you said, or it could be the difference between the Dreamcast and the Xbox. Time will tell. Nintendo knows their business better than I do, but speaking for myself, I would have had no problem shelling out another $100 to get better quality components in my system.

Almost Smart
Sep 14, 2001

Bombadilillo posted:

I havent played 3 on other systems but compared to the last 4 games on other consoles this is visually amazing. Its smooth as butter. I don't know what framerate issues people were talking about in some reviews because its very good on my WiiU.

I don't know what your definition of "smooth as butter" is, but AC3 on my Wii U is decidedly anything but. That's not to say it runs poorly or is unplayable, but I've seen the framerate drop into the 20s on multiple occasions and the pop-up can be pretty jarring at times. Like you, I have no frame of reference for how it runs on the other systems, but I seem to remember AC2 running smoother on the PS3 than this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Almost Smart
Sep 14, 2001

The PS3 didn't get its trophy system until a few years after its release, so there's always a chance something similar might muck up the Wii U down the road. I don't mind achievements/trophies unless they gently caress up the multiplayer component of a game.

• Locked thread