Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

"We'll see how the first year goes. But people better get us now, because we're going to keep getting better and better."
So I gave in yesterday and preordered at Best Buy since Gamestop stopped doing Deluxe preorders. I tried Wal Mart, too, but the dude there said they aren't doing preorders.

The only thing I ever preordered at Best Buy was Skyward Sword, and that worked out fine. I'm concerned with this one, though. I asked the girl at Best Buy if they will get a set amount of Wii U's that they're allowed to preorder and she said no. This makes it sound to me that my Best Buy preorder doesn't really guarantee me a Wii U on the release day. Am I going to end up waiting in line at midnight for this thing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

"We'll see how the first year goes. But people better get us now, because we're going to keep getting better and better."
Isn't that why there's a warning that says "online interactions not rated by the ESRB"?

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

greatn posted:

I think I'll play a lot of games on tablet when my wife is home, just so she can watch whatever.

This is absolutely what will get me to buy 3rd party games on Wii U over 360. There are plenty of games and shows that my wife and I both enjoy, but I'm not too likely to sit and watch an hour of Vampire Diaries. And she's not too likely to sit and play NCAA 2013 for an hour.

Now if only they'd announce NCAA 13 for Wii U :(

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

Seems reasonable, according to Wiki the Wii moved 5.84 million units through March 2007.

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

Sorry if this question has been asked/answered, but do we know when the systems will actually ship?

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

Just called my local shop where I preordered to ask if they were doing a midnight release. Not only are they not doing a midnight release, they are canceling all of their Wii U preorders because their delivery "failed".

So... guess I'm going to try to midnight it up at Wal Mart

:smith:

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

Bombadilillo posted:

What store is this? A gamestop?

No, it's a local Omaha place called Gamers. I've gotten mixed service from them in the past. I was really skeptical about it in the first place but I was out of options. Gamestop had just ran out of deluxe preorders, but Gamers was happy to take it. They reassured me they would have enough. I even called last week to see if they would be doing a midnight release, and they told me they didn't know yet but they reassured me they'd have enough units to fulfill my preorder.

I called a Wal Mart near me and the guy sounded sort of clueless. I still have a Best Buy preorder, so I think we're going to try to get it at a midnight sale at Wal Mart, and if that fails, show up early Sunday at a Best Buy.

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

Just got to wal mart. Third in line. Hope this works :smith:

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

Bombadilillo posted:

Good luck! I hope I wake up and you have a WiiU, wait, what timezone you in?

Thanks for the well wishes. Central time zone. 3 hrs 52 minutes and counting

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

Wal Mart trip report!

Called a smaller Wal Mart just outside of town, guy in the electronics section said there was no line but that they'd have Wii U's at midnight. Got there around 7:30, and there were two people in line in front of me. They weren't being clear about how many units they actually had, which made me nervous. So, I stayed and my wife booked it to another out-of-the-way Wal Mart.

My wife was the first one there. Dude in the electronics section seemed to actually grasp what was going on, so he started a list. Wife got her name #1 on the list, and was told she just needed to be around at midnight to get it. They had 6 premiums and 6 standards.

So, my wife came and picked me up from the first Wal Mart, and we killed 4 hours or so at the second Wal Mart. It was painless. The last premium spot on the list was full at about 11:00. There was really no reason to get there as early as we did, but we both felt more comfortable just sticking around.

Now I'm watching a progress bar! Happily! :)

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

posting from my wii u :smug:

This post took too long to type

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

So what's the status of Miiverse today? When we got our U set up and started playing NintendoLand, we could see people's comments floating around the screen after we played games. It was silly but sort of charming. Then on Sunday it went down? Is that right? I saw a Kotaku article saying it had gone down, but had gone back up since then. Still, for the remainder of Sunday I didn't see any messages pop up.

Are people seeing messages today? I'm at work so I can't check.

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

quiggy posted:

I've got Mario Bros U and NintendoLand and want something a little more... substantial.

I was wondering the same thing about Mass Effect 3. I know it came out forever ago, but I played the first two on my 360 and enjoyed them a lot. I procrastinated on playing the third one. I'm willing to pay more for the sake of playing it on my Wii U, but I don't want to end up the victim of bad frame rates like people have described with Batman and Epic Mickey 2.

Has anyone played ME:3 on U yet?

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

Wife and I tried Metroid Blast last night for the first time. I let her control the ship and I was on the ground. I'm sort of confused about the control scheme for the ground player. You hold down A to look around, but it just feels more natural to me to be holding down A all the time. I never played the Wii Metroid game, but I vaguely remember having to hold down a button to look around in Prime. Is that why they made it this way? I just ended up holding down A all the time because it made sense to me, do I just not understand the mechanic?

Seaniqua fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Nov 19, 2012

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

Revol posted:

With the HDMI audio stuff... people are complaining that you can't use HDMI along with another output at the same time for audio use. Is this something 360 or PS3 can do? Because I would never expect to receive this feature.

When I play Rocksmith on 360, I use HDMI out for video and standard RCA out for audio. I plug the HDMI into my TV, and the audio cables straight into headphones (using an adapter). HDMI can introduce a very noticeable audio lag. I think most people want it so they have way to hook their console audio into their audio receiver.

Anyway, 360 definitely has the feature. It shouldn't be a particularly difficult thing to include, but I'm not sure if Nintendo will prioritize it.

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

Gendo posted:

Enjoy your new toy regardless of whoever may be disappointed with it.

Its web browser is perfect for showing me that FireJerryKill.com hasn't been updated in a month:smith:

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

Astro7x posted:

And Red Level? There are more levels?!?

Yeah there's at least one more. It's weird. You beat the first level once, then you have to beat it again. After you beat it the second time, a new path opens up that takes you to the second level. In other news, it's currently my favorite NintendoLand game.

Astro7x posted:

Nobody on MiiVerse responded to my post about how the heck to get past that very last ramp on DK Crash Course in Nintendo Land. It is bloody impossible!

I saw your miiverse post right after I died 3 or 4 straight times on that last ramp. I've gotten to the second level twice, but my first level runs often end on that last ramp.

Seaniqua fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Nov 20, 2012

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

Pablo Gigante posted:

I think someone posted that you can turn off the Gamepad screen when you're not using it

I tried doing this while watching Netflix and it was a no go. You turn off the screen through the home menu, but Netflix itself pauses when you click the home button. So then there's no way to get out of the home screen without the display turning back on. Unless there's some setting I missed.

Dr. VooDoo posted:

It's like the IGN article claiming the way to add friends is nonsensical despite the steps he listed being nearly identical to Xbox live

I really wish that article had taken the tone of "here's how you make sure someone gets a friend request". It was actually pretty informative. Admittedly, I don't see why Nintendo needs the "registering" option. I wonder if that's the way it was originally going to be handled, then later developed the user search.

Seaniqua fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Nov 20, 2012

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

greatn posted:

Oh wait, I see what you mean, that wouldn't do anything. Can you press play on a Wii remote?

I'm not totally certain but I'm pretty sure Netflix automatically disconnects all the Wiimotes when you start it up.

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

J-Spot posted:

I'm sure I'm missing something obvious, but how are people taking screenshots and posting them to Miiverse?

Whenever you click the home button, a screen cap is automatically made. Click your home button, go to miiverse, and when you compose a post you'll see that there's an option to include a screenshot. It gives you the option to include a picture from the TV or a picture from the gamepad.

edit: efb

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

Well you can get gold plated connectors on there, that gives you a few more pixels </BestBuy>

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

Also note that youtube works very nicely in the web browser

Edit: Speaking of which, if you watch a video on Youtube using the web browser, you get a little button on the lower right of the gamepad screen. If you tap it, the video stays on your TV but the gamepad just goes back to the internet browser. You can even close the youtube tab you had open and go back on browsing other tabs if you want. Last night I watched youtube videos on my HDTV while surfing the forums on the gamepad, pretty neat.

It also makes me hopeful that more apps can do more multitasking things like this in the future.

vvvv
haha, you beat me on my edit :argh:

Seaniqua fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Nov 21, 2012

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

Maybe a dumb question, but how do I add friends on this contraption? I can't even find the list.

This bears repeating:

If you add people to your friends list through your "Friends List", you're not sending them a friend request. You're "registering" them, which means they have to register you too in the same way.

To send a friend request, go to Miiverse. Go to user options, and you'll see an option to search for users. Type in the user ID of the friend you want to add, and their profile should come up. On their profile page, there's a little button on the top right that says "Friend Request" (I think). Click that and you can send them a friend request.

This info is in the ID sharing thread but I'm not sure everyone is getting it.

I've really been enjoying reading my activity feed full of nerds, it's much more entertaining than I ever expected it to be. I figured Miiverse would be a novelty at best but it's actually extremely fun.

Seaniqua fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Nov 27, 2012

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

For anyone who is getting weird connection issues when they play the F Zero racing game in NintendoLand, I think I found a fix.

Remember when the iPhone 4 came out and if you held it a certain way, it would cut out reception because the antennae was being covered up? I tried holding the gamepad with "less" of my hand, and I stopped getting issues completely. I'm not really sure how else to describe it. I hold the screen vertically with the think part on the left, so I moved my hand a bit so I wasn't gripping with my left hand quite so much. No issues since then.

Of course this might all be BS so your mileage may vary

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

Folt The Bolt posted:

Wow! I can see why you guys really dig Netflix. It's a fantastic service!

I got so into Netflix that I haven't started a game yet...

If you haven't watched Arrested Development yet, it's one of the best things on Netflix.

Random NintendoLand experience:

Finally beat the second level of the Donkey Kong game. I beat the third level in one try, then found out the hard way on the fourth level that there's a time limit :smith: Guess I'll have to go quicker next time

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

It didn't come with a code but a survey automatically showed up for me after a few days.

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

Suaimhneas posted:

Probably a silly question, but how do I resume from a quicksave in NSMBU? Selecting the savefile just resumes from the last castle save with none of world 2 completed.

This isn't right. To quicksave, press start, click "Quick Save", say "OK" to whatever question it asks you. On the main menu screen, there should be a little red balloon on your save file. All you have to do is start that save and you'll be back where you were when you saved. If you're doing all this and it's not working, something's wrong.

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

I finally beat all four levels of Donkey Kong Crash Course yesterday with about 11 seconds to spare. What a nightmare. I have the first course down to about 83 seconds. How fast are you guys doing it?

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

Bombadilillo posted:

When you beat it a again time a door opens up (watch the TV screen), go through it and you get to level 2. Havent beat level 2 myself.

Luckily they don't make you do that for the second two levels.

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

^^^^^^^^^^^^
The third level is a modified version of the first (and 4 of 2). So the parts that aren't changed are easy, but there are a few sections that still take me a few tries in the 3rd level.

Bombadilillo posted:

Is there a way to skip the first level? Its frustrating to just get to the second level then die figuring out the next section. I end up playing the game once and then doing something else. I cant imagine that for 4 levels.

Nope. It's just a matter of getting extremely fast/consistent at it. There are also a couple shortcuts you can take. I'm sure there are shortcuts in the other levels, too, but I don't know about them. Someone posted a perfect run through a while back where the guy used a couple shortcuts. I had a lot of trouble with the second level, too, but got a lot of help through Miiverse and videos online. Now I rarely die more than once before getting to the third level.

I think one of the main reasons there's no level skipping is because there's a 600 second time limit. This seems like a lot, but the third and fourth levels always take me a while.

Edit: Random tidbit. Apparently you can hold X to make the "blow in the mic" platforms go up. I had no idea until yesterday.

Seaniqua fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Dec 3, 2012

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

I'm not a D&D guy but it seems like such an obvious choice to me. Is this a false memory, or do I remember hearing that the original Wii could connect more than 4 wiimotes? I don't know if a game ever did it, but I swear I remember the number being something way bigger.

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

I'm not crazy! Wiki says up to 16 via bluetooth. According to the citation it's from the user's manual.

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Area 9's much easier if you let the cart settle in the corner before you jump to the next one.

Is Area 9 the one with the consecutive angled R platforms? You can go fast if you just barely tap R every time, and make sure you're not too far to the left/right in midair. If you're jumping left, you should be slightly tipped to the left in midair. If you're jumping right, you should be slightly tipped to the right. If you get the hang of the angle you should be at in midair, this becomes one of the easiest sections of the first level.

There's a shortcut through area 10:

You can fall directly off of the first platform off the right and land to the right of the ending flag. You have to be just barely moving and keep your speed consistent, but once you get the hang of it you'll be able to do it in 1-2 tries. You actually do a full forward flip and land square on your wheels. I'm able to do this more consistently than doing the area the "right" way.

I think a lot of people know about that spoiler but I don't want to assume anything.

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

I'd kill for a gamepad with Gamecube ABXY layout on the right.

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

theflyingorc posted:

The thing that baffles me is why Nintendo made so many of the standard units

It's really incredible. I got my Deluxe at midnight at a Wal-Mart. There was a mom there who wanted to buy one for her family, she had come at midnight to be sure to have it by Christmas. She desperately wanted a Deluxe but she had no idea what the difference was between them.

Does anyone know if Nintendo makes more/less on one version of the console over the other? I could see that being a reason to make the basic model, if they make more money per unit on it.

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

I wish they would have said something about TVii

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

Maybe I'm a complete idiot, but I just realized that if I press A in TV remote mode, it brings up my tv's menu. Then you can navigate using the joystick or d pad. Awesome.

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

Chronojam posted:

The games should ship with iron man quicksave-only three lives maximum that posts your failure to Miiverse when a level finally gets the best of you.

It would be hilarious if a game came out that forced Miiverse posts after you lose too many times, without giving you the option of turning it off. Auto-shame.

"I DIED 34 TIMES ON THIS LEVEL"

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

"Ask me about dieing of dysentery 23 times."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

With or Without U

• Locked thread