Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Fatal
Jul 29, 2004

I'm gunna kill you BITCH!!!

Bombadilillo posted:

What are you guy's looking at getting at launch?

I'm thinking.

NSMBU
ZombiU
Nintendoland from deluxe bundle
~Rayman will be rent and see.

This exactly all coming from different corners of the internet. ZombiU, Rayman and a WiiU Delux from Bestbuy instore pickup, NSMBU from Amazon and a whole second WiiU Deluxe from Wallmart.com I figure I'll be playing something by Tuesday at the latest, depending on if Best Buy fucks up everything and I have to wait for shipping on Amazon/Wallmart. Whichever console I get I'll just return the other, seems like a plan :D

AngryCaterpillar posted:

I'll get the deluxe console with Nintendo Land as pack-in, and use the premium promotion to download Black Ops II and New Super Mario Bros. U.

This seems like a better idea for NSMBU, but you can't sell used downloads, hmmm...

Fatal fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Sep 17, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fatal
Jul 29, 2004

You think those are crazy, wait till you see the next thing coming from Nintendo:

Fatal
Jul 29, 2004

plasticbugs posted:

Promo code is: EMCJNJD242 - You can use it once per order. Shipping is free.

Thanks for this, saved $36 plus some tax! Got a Pro controller, Pikman 3 and Rayman.

Keeping my pre-orders going for Wallmart/Best buy since I don't want have them screw something up and end up with nothing launch day.

Fatal
Jul 29, 2004

SpeedRazor posted:

Just picked up two copies of Flingsmash for $42 at Toys R Us. Each copy comes with a black Wii Motion Plus controller, so it's a cheap way to get a few extras for the Wii U.

Have two other Wii Controllers with the Motion Plus adapters on the bottom. Those will be for player three and four. The ones that usually get the Gamestop brand 3rd party controllers.

Thanks for this, just went down to my local ToysRUs, had 5 in stock, I grabbed 3 so I'll have a complement of controllers. $75 including getting suckered into a $4 replacement plan.

Anybody wanna by a copy of Flingsmash? :smuggo:

Looks like the deal is available on ToysRUs Ebay if you want more than one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/FlingSmash-with-MotionPlus-for-Nintendo-Wii-zS4-/350644374036?pt=Video_Games_Games&hash=item51a4088a14

I should also mention they were selling Wii U games so if you want to buy them before release that seems to be the place to go, Bellevue WA store YMMV

Fatal fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Nov 16, 2012

Fatal
Jul 29, 2004

Toady posted:

Day one updates are not uncommon. The issue is that it's taken over an hour for the "1 GB" download, and it's not even daytime Sunday yet. Start your updates now if you can!

Or just skip the update until they figure this all out or you're not using the system? My plan is to not start the update until tomorrow evening after I'm done playing so it has all night and the next day to update until I get home from work.

Fatal
Jul 29, 2004

dongsweep posted:

Also, what is the cheapest people have found Wii-motes with Motion Plus for new? I only have the old Wii-motes so looks like I'll need to purchase some but do not want to get screwed on the price if they are commonly on sale.

$25 at toys-r-us, the Flingsmash bundle has a motion plus controller. Going to buy a 4th so I have 4 for mario broz

Fatal fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Nov 18, 2012

Fatal
Jul 29, 2004

Utnayan posted:

Is this system update taking forever for anyone else? Trying to determine if my network is slow or if the servers are being slammed.

I am at 10% after five minutes.

People have said 1+ hour for updates. If you don't start the update it will just download in the background and prompt you when it's finished. Not sure if you can do this now that you've already started :(

Fatal
Jul 29, 2004

Gendo posted:

I have mixed emotions about digital delivery. The technology is neat and I love the idea of immediate availability without waiting for replication, but I also like owning physical media and I don't like giving up control.

As long as there's an option to purchase either way I suppose it doesn't matter.

Console games are still in the realm of being sold back to gamestop/Amazon/whatever which is why I'm not a big fan of digital distribution on systems like the WiiU. Hopefully they can compete with sale prices (price matching Amazon/Gamestop) which would make me feel alot better.

Still though, Amazon botched my delivery of Mario (arrival of Wednesday) so I just bought it through the WiiU store. Can't beat that convenience.

toxicsunset posted:

I used to think this way, too. I was really against it. I don't know how to explain what happened to me other than "Steam".

Steam has sold it for me too for PC games, I think it's the sales and the massive library to choose from. If Nintendo can capitalize (big if) on their gigantic backlog and pump out games consistently they will have digital distribution in the bag for the Wii U. I hope that's the case.

Fatal fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Nov 19, 2012

Fatal
Jul 29, 2004

Astro7x posted:

I pre-ordered Mario with Amazon, and they always stated a Wednesday delivery of the game.

Still call it botched, when was the last time you pre-ordered a game from Amazon and it didn't show up launch day? My assumption was that they would update the ship date as it grew closer, should have checked it over the weekend but still, 4 days after launch is a bit slow when you have Prime.

Fatal
Jul 29, 2004

Was poking around looking at the mini-battery and noticed something else:

Looks like a tripod mount or something, wonder what it's going to be used for?

Fatal
Jul 29, 2004

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

But but but the number isn't bigger...

Bandwidth != Latency.

Lets compare two different usage scenarios for these metrics using something more relatable: internet connections.

Joe is a pirate, he downloads anything and everything. For him, a 100Mbit connection that averages 250ms latency would be perfectly fine. Sure his webpages load a little slower but 100Mbit! He can download the latest walking dead in a matter of seconds.

Paul on the other hand is big into Counter-strike. For him, a 5Mbit connection with 10ms latency to his nearest CS server is key. Anything over a 30ms ping is unacceptable because he can't Boom headshot the n00bs.

Swapping these two users connections would result in both users saying the connection was poo poo yet they both are baller awesome when paired with the right user. Similar concepts are in play with the WiiU's CPU/GPU/RAM, just because some journalist looked up the spec sheet of a RAM chip doesn't mean he knows what he's talking about (not to mention he botched it on his first try).

Fatal
Jul 29, 2004

parasyte posted:

you do have to manually install it

This is insane btw, I experienced this with NSMBU. Why in the hell would I download it but not install it?

Fatal
Jul 29, 2004

Bombadilillo posted:

What's insane? You can download in background but not install in background. So you pick when you want to install. Makes sense to me. I guess they could have a install when done dling box you could tick.

It's insane because it takes another half-hour to install. I don't want to have to babysit my game downloads. 360 and Steam do this right with a minimal wait between finishing the download and playing the game.

Fatal
Jul 29, 2004

Bombadilillo posted:

And nobody wants to get kicked out of a game when the WiiU starts to autoinstall when a download finishes. The choice is between playing during the 2 hour download or not playing anything and getting a 2 and a half hour and not having to press a button. It cannot install in background.

Arguably it wouldn't kick you out of the game either. All the install is doing is extracting a compressed file, why couldn't it run in the background as a very low level process if you were playing a game. All I'm saying is the process was not very polished and just stood out to me. In my case it was me waiting for the game to download for like 2 hours, coming down to check on it and being prompted to "install" the game which made me wait another half hour.

Fatal
Jul 29, 2004

Sly Pistachio posted:

The Wii U Game Pad is the poster child of why proprietary rechargeable batteries do not belong in gaming controllers.

Can someone explain to me the advantage of having a proprietary battery when a single rechargeable AA battery can hold up to twice the amount of power as the proprietary one that Nintendo sticks in there?

Okay, fine. Maybe AA batteries are a little fatter than the battery Nintendo puts in there. I still think Nintendo could have worked the fatter AA battery into the game pad's design without much trouble. But for the sake of argument, here's two AAA rechargeables compared:

The AAA batteries seem to be the same thickness of the Wii U proprietary battery.

Look how many AA batteries you could fit into the Wii U Game Pad's battery compartment:

If you could stick six 3000 mAh AA batteries in there you would have over 10x the battery life that Nintendo's current pitiful 1500 mAh battery provides.

It's not like proprietary batteries are cheaper. Nyko's third party higher capacity battery solution of 4000 mAh costs $25. You could get 8000 mAh of capacity in rechargeable AAs from Amazon for $9.50 if the Wii U didn't use a proprietary battery.

Not to mention how annoying it is going to be trying to replace proprietary batteries a decade or two from now when the console has been long dead and all accessories ceased manufacturing.

There is just no win for the gamer in this case which is why I find it so bizarre how people will whine about having to use AA batteries in the Xbox 360 controller and praise the PS3's built-in proprietary rechargeable battery.

You're ignoring that you're comparing 1.2V cells to a 3.7V cell (essentially you need 3 of those AA or AAA batteries to create the same voltage). Nintendo didn't go with a higher capacity battery because they wanted to either make the pack lighter or save money (or both). Not to mention the cells you're comparing aren't even of the same technology (Ni-MH vs Li-on) which can greatly affect price/number of rated cycles/discharge rate/etc.

Fatal
Jul 29, 2004

Sly Pistachio posted:

Which is why I did a size comparison which shows that Nintendo could have put a six AA battery compartment in the same amount of space for all their voltage needs. Six 1.2V 1000 mAh AAA batteries are also the size of a single proprietary 3.7V 1500 mAh Nintendo battery.

When a pack of four 1.2V 2000mAh AA batteries can be had on Amazon for $9.50 (for an effective power of 4.8V/8000 mAh) and that 3.7V Nyko 4000 mAh proprietary battery is $25 I think it's pretty clear that we're getting ripped off by this decision - especially when Nintendo comes out with their "official" enlarged battery pack that costs twice as much as Nyko's pack.

A pack of 6 1.2v 1000mAh batteries *is* almost the same capacity as Nintendos battery. The pack would be 3.6v 2000mAh if you were trying to match the voltage. And it's not the same battery tech, I'd bet that the Li-ion battery would weigh less and be able to be cycled more than the NiMh pack.

Here's something that's approximately equivalent: https://www.sparkfun.com/products/8483 $17 in single units. Yes, it's cheap, but we're talking about a $250 video game console, a part that costs 7% of the total is pretty dang expensive.

You're doing power math wrong, 4 1.2v 2000mAh AA batteries is *either* 4.8v 2000mAh or 1.2v 8000mAh or something in-between. And you're still comparing NiMh batteries to Li-Ion, two very different techs (the difference between what powered early 90's cell phones and iPhones)

Fatal fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Feb 12, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fatal
Jul 29, 2004

Apparently I pre-ordered Pikmin 3 waaay back in October of last year when Newegg was running a 20% off sale. Got an email this morning saying my order had been processed, I thought my account had been hacked. At least I got it for $12 off, free shipping and no tax! Guess I've got Rayman on order too...

Fatal fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Aug 3, 2013

• Locked thread