Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Just realized my Wii Fit data will most likely never transfer over to the Wii Fit U. I guess my brain sot of expected it after years of the iOS stuff just working form device to device.

No big deal, I just use it for the scale pretty much these days, but me and my wife have 4 years of weight loss data stats in it which are kind of cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

cat doter posted:

Is there any point to getting the 'pro' pack if you can expand the internal memory with USB storage? Is it going to be that only certain things can be on the internal memory, or is it going to be more open? I ask because the regular ol' white version is only $50 more in Australia (HOLY poo poo :siren: :supaburn: :siren:) but the 'pro' version is $80 more.

Not sure anyone would even know, but might as well ask.

Probably answered in the thread already, but in the states it's $50 and comes with Nintendo Land, 4x as much internal storage and some nifty stands. Nintendo Land alone is $60.

I remember getting by pretty well on my PS3 with only the 20GB hard drive, and still could probably get by if I didn't load it up with videos and use it for a media center.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Sorry... but does anybody buy a next gen console and get just a Nintendo console? Pretty much everybody I know that has a Wii has a PS3 or 360 too. I also dont' see it that common to have a 360 and a PS3.

I buy Nintendo for Nintendo franchises.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
I'm assuming that huge Red spike in Wii sales was New Super Mario Bros. Wii, correct?

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

MUFFlNS posted:

Nintendo have currently positioned themselves where because they're first out the gate, they can wrangle a lot of quick ports from third parties who are willing to test the waters with the Wii U for minimal cost and effort. Will Nintendo still have smooth sailing once the next PlayStation and Xbox release? Chances are very slim, and if you're expecting third party publishers to prioritize the Wii U just because it has a bigger install base, you need only look at the Wii to see that simply doesn't work. Third party games sell terribly on Nintendo consoles which is why publishers abandoned Nintendo.

Well not only does Nintendo have the 'first out the gate' thing going for them, but the leap from the Wii to the Wii U will be quite significant. Graphically New Super Mario Brothers Wii looks dull and muddy in comparison to the Wii U version. Even though the Wii U is now pretty much on par with the 360 and PS3 visually, my Nintendo franchises are going to look a hell of a lot better, and that right there is a reason to upgrade for me.

I have no idea what Sony or Microsoft have in store, but it's really going to have to blow me out of the water to get my to buy within the first year or two of its release. I'm assuming that after the new Sony/Microsoft consoles launch a lot of the Third Party companies are still going to be making essentially PS3/360 ports for at least the first year. They will have their system exclusives, sure, but is that going to be enough for the Wii U to increase it's lead over the competition? I have no idea, but this round is going to be interesting.

I'm probably in the minority here...

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

I haven't played Ninja Gaiden 3 but from what I gather people hated it because they removed a ton of stuff for no reason and slapped a terrible Other M-level story on top.

Everything I've read about the Wii U version suggests it'll be significantly different - lots of stuff added back in, lots of new content, etc. Apparently Nintendo themselves have been working on it.

I remember reading that there was regenerating health after each section of enemies, basically taking out a lot of the difficulty in the Ninja Gaiden games.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Chaltab posted:

Sony and MS would be fools not to set their Next Gen specs at a level that makes it an immediately noticeable upgrade from the Wii U. The big question is how will developers respond.

You'll get your AAA titles that take advantage of it, sure, but a lot of games are still going to look no better because there is no budget for it.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

limaCAT posted:

Also black = fingerprints? :(

It's not a hand held, it shouldn't have fingerprints on it. Considering my PS3 and Wii look equally as gross with dust on it, I don't think the color saves it from looking nasty.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
The problem for me at least with the Nintendo TV thing is that it doesn't solve a problem I have. Very rarely do I think "I want to watch a movie, what service is it on?: Instead it's more of watching an existing TV series I already started, or just going on Netflix and finding something new that I haven't seen before.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
What's with all the clamoring for 4K resolution consoles when we're barely getting 1080p games as it is? I'd much rather see more polygon counts and more characters on screen, faster load times, and graphics that don't look like they were for the PS2. Who cares if it's outputting at 4K if the models look like rear end?

Bombadilillo posted:

So 1080 on 65" at 12 feet is noticable. I can tell 720p vs 1080p. But I have great vision. My wife has horrible eyes and cant tell the difference between sd and hd at all.

I hate it when I go home an see my dad who blows up an stretches the standard definition feed of HBO on his 60 inch 1080p set and says "Look at how great his picture looks in HD!". :doh:

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

Only the second person at the EB in the Devonshire Mall in Windsor to get the $299 Basic meaning I'm pretty much guaranteed one at launch.

The system they told me is that you leave them your phone number and there's no guarantee on the money down. Basically they get sent so many consoles and if they don't have enough for you at launch they don't. However, if they get five systems and you're number six, you'll receive a phone call when the sixth console is available for you.

Yeah, this is how reservations usually work and why so many people think otherwise is mind boggling. Like Best Buy is going to go "well.... we have 50 pre-orders but only got 10 units. Guess the logical thing to do is to make all the people that pre-ordered line up every morning before 9am in hopes we get a shipment in, and then hand them out first come first serve!"

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Bobnumerotres posted:

I hope not. Some games won't work with it and I can see a lot of people never even using that feature.

It's strange because of all the different control schemes. You want developers to use the Game Pad in innovative ways, yet you also have single screen play on the Game Pad and the Pro Controller I have a feeling that it's going to be like the 3DS, where on the DS you saw a lot of innovative uses with the two screens, but with forcing your game play to the upper 3D screen it turns the lower one into this auxiliary screen only used for maps and item selection.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

katkillad2 posted:

Nothing was wrong with the experience, I don't know how people are taking your question so out of context. You paid for the game, downloaded it and it worked.

I think a lot of people are just very skeptical about the whole Nintendo eShop experience because it lacks accounts. People are expecting something like Apple, where I can re download anything I purchase on any device I own for free. Simple! But as for Nintendo your download is tied to your device instead of an account. And if your handheld gets lost, stolen, or breaks to the point where your device cannot power up you are screwed. At least I know if I lose my 3DS system (since it is a handheld I am encouraged to take with me everywhere), I only lose whatever game is in the system. I couldn't imagine if I had a dozen games in there that I couldn't re download...

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
On the 3DS? No... it is linked to your existing My Nintendo account, I don't know why they can't use that though. But even if it is with an account on the Wii U there has been no proof that it is done in any sort of intelligent way that enables redownloading of files in the case of a system being lost or breaking.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
$53.99 plus sales tax roughly comes out to the same price I pay on Amazon. No thanks...

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

greatn posted:

Surprised Rayman isn't on there. Saves me sixty bucks at least.

Is the wipeout series any good? Is that already out on anything? Just wondering if that could give a nice F-Zero fix.

Haha... wrong wipeout

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5XmgIZbhvLs go to :38

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Detective No. 27 posted:

I think Rayman will come out a week before the system comes out. Ubisoft had most of their Vita games out before its release.

Well that certainly is an interesting strategy... why would anybody even put that on the shelves before a system release? Online sure... why the hell not.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
So... I already put down $5 on the Wii U at Best Buy. Does anybody know if you can put down more money on a reservation at Best Buy early? I just saw that for October AMEX has a deal where if you spend $200 at Best Buy you get a $20 statement credit. I'd love to go in and put exactly $200 down on my Amex since it's impossible to buy it in October anyway.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Bobnumerotres posted:

You are without a paddle, yes. Now you can be put on a waiting list and hope to god you get one before Monster Hunter comes out in March.

Was it like this with other console releases? I always pre-order things I'm sure I want early and I get a lot of "Okay, crazy dude" stares from Gamestop employees or whatever, but when I pre-ordered the U the second day they were like "You're in luck we only had a dozen or so left."

Maybe people have just learned from the last console release and know to reserve their poo poo now.

Game releases are plentiful nowadays. I hadn't had an issue getting a game without a reservation since the N64 cartridge days. So many retailers do first week sales or promotions that its smarter to wait until the week of release. I remember when TRU was doing those instant gift card things, Best Buy was price matching any B&M store (and price matching TrUs gift cards with a straight up discount), and Amazon is usually almost always cheaper when you factor in no sales tax, free shipping, and it always being a few bucks cheaper.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Fact is the Wii U will sell like crazy, by the time people figure out it is not just a controller they won't be able to get one anyway... And was there any benefit to making the console look nearly identical to the Wii? I dot mind it, but it just adds to the confusion. Could you imagine of they were selling the game pad on its own at launch? So many kids would get just a controller for Christmas.

Bobnumerotres posted:

I really thought the Wii couldn't be outdone.

Boy was I loving wrong. I pre-ordered early in case of some disastrous scenario, to learn that particular Gamestop ran out of both models within 24 hours.

When I sold my PS3 towards it today all the employees were talking about how lucky I was and how many people they've had to turn down/refer to the waiting list which is apparently a thousand strong (this is a university Gamestop with like 1.2 people in it at any given time).

I really thought the console would receive a mixed response out of the gate ("Mario, blops, and a bunch of ports? I think I'll wait") but holy gently caress it looks like it's going to blow the Wii's release craziness out of the water. People might get onto a waiting list today and get their console well into spring 2013.

I figure I am getting this system no matter what, so I might as well get it immediately instead of waiting a year.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Unless you folow this stuff it can be confusing. A coworkers was asking me about Mario Kart 7 when their kids started seeing commercials and wanted it. I had to explain how the 3DS is a whole new system... Dude is like 35 too and I'm only 28

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Bobnumerotres posted:

I honestly can't tell the difference. :corsair: (I am 21 and have 20:20 vision and a 32 inch 1080p TV. I don't know what the gently caress is 1080 and what's 560. 480 on the Wii kind of looks like poo poo though.)

Just poking fun with the comparisons.

From a distance, I think it's hard to tell the difference between 1080i and 720p on anything smaller than a 40 inch TV.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Probably helps that it doesn't need to be plugged into the WiiMote

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Well I mean like the classic controller on the Wii, needing to plug it into a more powerful motion controller to just sit there and do nothing.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

DarkHamsterlord posted:

If any of you work at Walmart and are looking to spend your meager pay on video games, definitely put one on layaway, they'll accept your discount card and save you thirty bucks.

The person who helped me said they only have the deluxe version, I dunno if that applies to all Walmarts though.

Since we're talking about Wii U deals, if you are buying at Best Buy they have a deal with Amex where if you buy $200 at Best Buy in October you get a $20 statement credit. So basically... buy $200 in gift cards now and spend them in November.

You have to link your Amex to the Amex Like, Link Love App, but hey... $20 free bucks! Plus you'll probably be 4/5 of the way to a $5 Best Buy Reward Zone Cert, that's pretty much $25 off your system.

Astro7x fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Oct 16, 2012

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

suddenlyissoon posted:

Am I the only one who really wants Zombiu to be so badass but each time they look at it they see the empty promise of Red Steel?

I have alway compared it to Red Steel, I'll definitely be renting it first before considering buying it.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

FPzero posted:

Go search "smw hack" on youtube. You will find tons and tons of custom made mario levels people make using the super-accessible editor, Lunar Magic. 99% are not very good.

I've been making these levels four going on five years now and I've only just started making levels that I think could be considered well-designed. An editor would be awesome, but it's incredibly hard to produce Nintendo-quality levels.

It's even telling when Media Molecule puts together a "Best Of" user level pack for LittleBigPlanet, and it's all garbage still... designing good levels is tough.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Bobnumerotres posted:

Apparently this is what IGN was talking about with the killer app stuff:

http://www.ign.com/videos/2012/10/25/zombiu-video-preview

Eh.

I'm still not impressed enough to buy it at launch when it will be in the bargain bin a year from now when more games are out.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

japtor posted:

I also like how console launches make some people go kind of crazy with buying games. Instead of staggering game purchases over time, all of a sudden there's an impulsive need to buy everything they want all at once with the console.

...and yes I've done it before too :doh:.

I went almost a year without buying a single game for my PS3! It helped a ton that I used it as a bluray player a lot, but I survived off demos and discounted rentals from Blockbuster. Why would I pay full price for a game I can beat in 8 hours?

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

fivegears4reverse posted:

People don't actually want this, if the wailing and gnashing about GX's difficulty around these parts is the majority opinion.

But I'd be one of the five people who buy this theoretical new F-Zero alongside of you.
The only thing difficult about F-Zero was the story mode. First of all, I can appreciate a racing game that has a difficulty that I can't beat every single time, unlike Mario Kart's 150cc. And second, that story mode was brutal. I never got past the one level where you had to race the ghost on a track that had no walls. Stuff like that should have some difficulty curve to it.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

katkillad2 posted:

I don't ever do anything for black friday and this won't change my mind, but some of you might be interested. Apparently Old Navy is going to give a copy of SMB U to a select number of people at their stores if you are one of the first people in line and spend $40 dollars.

I remember trying to go to Old Navy to get Lego Rock Band for free. They had something like 20 copies and more than that were lined up at Old Navy the night before. Not worth it...

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Rirse posted:

I know the Wii stuff is using a "Wii Mode" and probably not use the tablet part of the Wii U, but what about the VC titles that get transferred over? It would be nice to just play them in the tablet.

I think it was mentioned that the VC titles purchased on the Wii will only play in the Wii mode, meaning no tablet support. This is why I stopped buying VC titles, but then I learned my Wii point balance is stuck in my Wii console unless I do a system transfer, so blah I just don't loving know any more. I have about 1600 Wii Points stored up that I should just blow on some stuff and enjoy while my Wii is still hooked up I suppose.

I would be impressed if the Wii U even had the entire backlog of released VC and WiiWare on Day 1, and would be blown away if all VC had tablet support. But in reality I expect Nintendo to start from scratch with the Virtual Console and have tablet support not supported initially and then patched in later like what they have been slowly doing with the ambassador games and adding save states and stuff on the 3DS

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
I feel like it's weird that the console with the smallest internal storage is pushing the hardest for downloadable full games.

I couldn't imagine myself getting as much use out of Playstation Plus as I have been if I couldn't just download several 9GB games at once and not even have to think about it.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
I got my hands on a demo unit at Gamestop today. Overall I was very impressed. The controller felt light and a good fit in my hands, and I was very impressed with the graphics. I only played Rayman for a few minutes, but it looked pretty drat great considering I was playing Rayman Origins a little bit before I went to try to demo and the visual differences were pretty noticeable.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Polo-Rican posted:

I know it's the fault of the game and not the system itself, but these two snippets are really discouraging and will probably strengthen some of the base fears people have about the Wii U:

I don't think anybody expects much visually of these ports of older games like Batman and Ninja Gaiden.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Gutcruncher posted:

The Wii U doesnt charge its own controller? It's not a deal breaker or anything, but come on Nintendo!

Mario while pooping is perhaps the greatest thing of all time, so I can forgive.

To be fair, that's probably a good thing as long as it comes with it's own AC adaptor. The other day I was playing my PS3 when my Move Nunchuck died on me. So I figured I could just plug the Micro USB cable into my iPhone USB Charger brick thing and still play from the couch! Nope, for some reason the drat thing wouldn't charge. So I couldn't play my game and had to let the PS3 sit there idling with the power on to charge the stupid Move Nunchuck thing.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Supercar Gautier posted:

Plugging a charging dock into a wall outlet is at least twenty times more arduous than plugging it into a USB port, I cannot believe that Nintendo overlooked this crippling design flaw.

Crippling design flaw? I wouldn't call it crippling. Convenient, sure, but not crippling.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Why are people some up in arms about needing to charge their Nintendo controllers via USB with the Wii U itself? Please just get over the concept and realize that you don't need to charge the device with the device you use it with. And the device also doesn't need to charge in the same cabinet the Wii U lives in.

I do not understand it from a logistical standpoint. Your Gamepad is low on battery power so you have essentially 3 options. 1) Play with your Gamepad connected to your Wii U with a short USB cable sitting incredibly close to the TV. 2) Turn the system on to charge the Gamepad and not play a game, which is totally inefficient, charging at a much slower speed too (and be sure to turn that auto shutdown off so that you have time to charge your controller!). And 3) Play your game from the comfort of your couch with it charging from a nearby plug.

I don't know about you guys, but I'd probably chose option #3 99% of the time.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Gutcruncher posted:

That bundle only saves 10 bucks. Really, It's way better to pay full price and get games you want.

Won't Walmart buy back anything pretty much? I remember buying one of those huge PS3 Bundles when that was initially released that came with 8 games, and returned every single one of them to Walmart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Boten Anna posted:

You have to pay for like 3-4 people who make less than $10 an hour to show up to clear thousands of dollars of inventory. It's really not that bad of a deal.

Except when you realize that those same people would be there at 10am the next day

• Locked thread