Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
Y'all are gonna be mad jealous when the Xbox 720 and PS4 roll around next year, with its 4GB of RAM and 1TB solid state hard drives running Unreal Engine 5 games and every third-party abandons the WiiU. Source: Kotaku

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Chaltab posted:

It's Brian Ashcraft. Take anything he says with a few barrels of salt.

The only thing Brian Ashcraft knows is the BWH of every Japanese idol and high school girl just by eye-balling them. That is the extent of his "gaming knowledge".

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

If Oliver North being a war criminal doesn't disuade anybody, he's also on Fox News.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

Strange Matter posted:

Man I didn't even know they were still making King of Fighters games.

KOF XIII was the best game at the last EVO.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

Supercar Gautier posted:

I've already got a full set of remotes, so I appreciate not having to pay extra for some.

Nintendo will be making sure to supply stores with a lot of Wiimote/Nunchuk bundles that are Wii-U branded so that even the most confused consumer will know "I can use this". They've got this poo poo covered.

I've already seen rebranded Wii Remote Plus controllers at some stores. They mention they're for the Wii U, and then say they're compatible with the original Wii. Hopefully, that alleviates some confusion. It ain't like the packaging for them is overly complicated.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

Dr. Fetus posted:

Where do you even find the time to play all those games? :stare:

If that blows your mind, don't visit the Retro Gaming Thread.

Hopefully I'll be able to round out my Wii collection pretty soon, with a lot of (third-party) games potentially dropping in price hard with the next system coming out, but before it turns into a Gamecube situation.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

Policenaut posted:

Man, where do you people live where you're finding all this Wii stuff for that cheap? Whenever I go to Walmart or Future Shop or EB Games, it's always $19.99-$39.99. This sucks :(

Like Neddy mentioned, department stores and such that most gamer-types wouldn't normally shop for video games will clearance out their old stock soon enough. Hell, several months ago I was able to buy several PS3 games for $3 a piece at a random unadvertised Shop-Ko clearance sale, and I'm talking games like Super Street Fighter IV, God of War III, Heavy Rain, etc., not to mention the second Professor Layton game, Glory of Heracles, Red Steel 2, and Loco Roco 2 for about $2 each. You just gotta get there at the right time, and hope nobody else bothers checking those stores. The less traffic the store seems to get on a daily basis, the better (as in, I am 100% surprised that my local Shop-Ko has stayed in business as long as it has with how empty that parking lot always is; it's sandwiched between a Wal-Mart and a K-Mart, both about two block apart on either side).

Mercury Crusader fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Oct 23, 2012

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

Didn't the blue shell used to hit anybody that was in its way before hitting the leader, before they decided that it should just harmlessly fly over everything and hit only the leader?

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

But we still haven't determined whether or not NSMB is played out/Smash is a real fighting game/Mario Kart is fair/the new Zelda game is gonna conform to my weirdly specific vision!

I wonder if the PS4/Xbox 720 anticipation thread will have to deal with the same kind of poo poo this thread has had, or if everybody in those threads will be 100% content with whatever Sony/Microsoft does because :shrug:

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

Vaerai Archon posted:

Not only that but it's allready going to go where I have the PS2,PS3, Xbox, Xbox 360, Wii, Gamecube, and Dreamcast. I was only planning on needing a single outlet and I've yet to find a proper powerstrip that will comfortably fit a bunch of charging bricks.

poo poo, you have all those consoles plugged in at the same time? I mean I have a shitload of consoles myself but I'd never keep them all plugged in at once. Your power bill must be massive (unless you flip that power strip switch off regularly).

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

Both of my brothers want to get in on that whole midnight release thing, so I might have to tag along as well, even though I was just going to wait it out until stores can sell the drat thing to me like normal. Best case scenario, we each walk out with a Wii U, worst case we get drunk and play Mario Party later.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

My youngest brother and I grabbed our Wii U at our local Best Buy's midnight launch pretty easily. He played ZombiU most of the night after we got everything updated. From what I watched it looked pretty good, and from what he has said it's the closest thing to the ideal survival horror game he has always wanted in terms of a FPS. Melee seemed to be limited to a shoving attack ala L4D, a generic slow overhead swing, and a context-specific finishing attack (which is a generic overhead swing). On the one hand, it was pretty boring to watch melee battles, but on the other hand it made melee fights really risky if you had to fight two or more zombies at the same time, so I could kind of see where that was going. In fact, any situation where there was more than two zombies was a losing battle and you'd better have an out. It's a pretty slow and methodical game as far as searching for items and trying to be careful.

So far he likes it, though he wishes it was a bit more sandbox-y and that it was more strict on things like requiring food, water, and sleep reguarly like it was some kind of Project Zomboid: The First Person Shooter. I need to fire up NSMBU and Nintendo Land later and see how that goes.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

I'm glad that configuring the TV Remote feature only linked to my Samsung HDTV and didn't link to my old Samsung CRT that I use for old vidja games, as they are both in close proximity to each other. It would've sucked if hitting the power button turned both of them on at the same time like my HDTV's remote. Probably using some newer-ish remote code that wasn't available on the older Samsung TVs I guess?

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

After playing around with it for a while, I gotta say I'm enjoying the console a lot. Of the few complaints I have about it, the only one that stands out involves the Wii transfer tying the downloads to the console rather than an account. It isn't too much of a big deal at the moment; as my youngest brother owns the console and not myself, I can just wait until I grab one of my own down the road before I actually transfer anything. The other thing would be how the Nintendo Network ID system works at the moment, but I figure they'll do "something" eventually to resolve that whole "tying the account to the console" issue. This just means I don't have to buy anything from the eShop until further notice.

Miiverse rules, even though most of my posts are bad drawings of "Gotta Go Fast" Fan Art Sonic with a crudly-drawn Mario cap on him giving advice on specific stages in NSMBU where you, in fact, have to go fast to get star coins. Folks on there can draw on a tablet, kinda crazy what kind of drawings people can make with that limited amount of drawing space.

Anybody actually try playing older Wii titles online yet? I know there aren't many, but I figure it's something to test out.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

I don't really care about achievements myself, but Miiverse rules. I don't care when some person gets an achievement or trophy or whatever saying they beat some chapter in a game or won 50 online games, but I do think it's funny when some guy beats a stage then draws a high-as-hell babby Yoshi or a terrible GOTTA GO FAST Sonic drawing for everybody else to see. There are some pretty good artsy folks out there.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

McFunkerson posted:

Well, I just did my Wii -> Wii U transfer and discovered I had 1500 points in the wii shop channel. Looks like they are useless in the new eShop, so are there any must have WiiWare titles I might have missed not paying attention for the past couple years?

In addition to what Neo Rasa recommended, which are all great recommendations, I'm going to give two Genesis import titles on the VC in particular, and they are Super Fantasy Zone and Monster World IV. Super Fantasy Zone is, well, it's easier to just watch this video. Monster World IV is a 2D platforming action RPG in the same kind of vein as Zelda II. Not too much backtracking, and the RPG elements are pretty light, but the platforming is excellent.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

Chronojam posted:

What do you propose as a solution?

I'd be satisfied if they just put the Wii Shop Channel stuff on the Nintendo eShop proper as an alternative way to purchase Virtual Console/WiiWare games, much like how DSiWare stuff is purchasable through the 3DS's eShop. Despite all the poo poo the Virtual Console gets for its slow trickle of releases, there are still plenty of games on there I'd like to purchase, and having a means to do so that doesn't involve buying more Wii Points would be great.

Granted, there's probably more to it that just throwing them up there and calling it a day.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

So I just got my Wii U right now, bought it off Amazon and it just shipped.

How long do I need to let the Wii U game pad charge before I can actually turn this thing on? Also, can I bring in my Wii saves and stuff later on or do I need to do it during the initial startup of the system?

It takes about two hours thereabouts to charge the pad the first time. As for Wii transferring, you can do it whenever.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

LividLiquid posted:

I'm almost done with New Super Mario Brothers U, which despite having the worst name ever, is the sequel to Super Mario World I've been waiting 20 years for. The overworld and branching paths and what-not really give it a much grander feel than the static menus of Yoshi's island and NSMB1, plus the level design is top notch and I love the Koopa Kids. The Squirrel Suit and baby Yoshis are so much fun it's insane.

I haven't played New Super Mario Wii and I don't have a 3DS yet, but are either of them as good as this? How about Super Mario 3D land?

I'd given up on Mario games after NSMB was underwhelming and Galaxy made me nauseous.

If I had to rate the NSMB games from best to worst, it'd be: NSMBU > NSMBW > NSMB 2 >NSMB. NSMB2 is good as a score attack game (I love Coin Rush), but it's level design is hardly better than the first. NSMBW is alright if you wanna give it a go.

Super Mario 3D Land is great in the sense that it is how I always wanted to see a 3D Mario game; incorporating the obstacle course point A to point B gameplay of the 2D games. Unfortuantely, the first half of the game is ridiculously easy. It makes up for it near the end though.

Galaxy 2 is easily my favorite 3D game at the moment, though. However, if they do another 3D Land-style game and gave it better level design and challenge, it may overthrow it.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

Gunder posted:

Will the Wii to Wii U system transfer require a blank SD card? The only one I own is the 4GB one that came with my 3DS. Is it smart enough to create a partition, or will it just format the drive during the process? I'd rather not lose my 3DS saves and data.

I did the transfer on the 2GB card I used on my Wii for Virtual Console/WiiWare games just fine. Granted, I had to then delete and re-download all the games to the card after the transfer, as it wouldn't let me play any of those games otherwise.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

Louisgod posted:

Really the thing that the WiiU should be used for by the majority of people in this thread is Xenoblade. If you haven't bought it yet then gently caress you, what is wrong with you, you are literal garbage.

I've been using mine to play Monster World IV lately. I'll finish Xenoblade eventually, honest. :(

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

Supercar Gautier posted:

Has any person gotten a game over in a Mario game since 1996? Have human eyes ever known what the last several game over screens have looked like?

I'm sure more folks than just veteran superstar platforming gamers from the rough and tumble world of the 1980s play these games. I mean, my brother can play the poo poo out of Dota 2 and Counter-Strike, but has always kinda struggled in 2D platforming games. Just saying.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

Seaniqua posted:

It would be hilarious if a game came out that forced Miiverse posts after you lose too many times, without giving you the option of turning it off. Auto-shame.

"I DIED 34 TIMES ON THIS LEVEL"

Wii U needs a Souls game that does this. It will be the best game.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

DoctorWhat posted:

As many have said, Lives persist in Mario games to preserve the iconography of the one-up mushroom and the life-every-100-coins schtick.

They're as much a part of Mario games as thematic worlds, bottomless pits, and floating blocks that contain things. Removing them would be stranger than taking them out just because some folks don't think they're relevant anymore.

Conversely, I wonder how people felt when FPS titles started phasing out medkits for regenerating health.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

The only way I can see people that are decent at platformers care about 1-Ups and all would be if they just made another Mario game like Lost Levels.

I'd play it. :allears:

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

DoctorWhat posted:

Gimme a TF2 port with Kid Icarus Controls and/or Metroid Prime 3 controls and let me sync it with my Steam and YESSSSS I WOULD PAY (even tho it's F2P already).

I wanna know how complicated it would be to rocket jump with either setup.

Then I wanna master it. :getin:

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

ZombiWUUUUUUUUUUUUU Featuring Ric Flair

You fight a zombified Hulk Hogan for thirty minutes straight but of course he no-sells the entire fight and you lose. Then an alive Kevin Nash pokes Hogan in the chest with his finger and Hogan's torso explodes.

:wcw:

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

Gutcruncher posted:

Edit: I havent unlocked it yet, but apparently theres a character thats a VMU and drives the Hornet, a Dreamcast controller, and an F14.

There is, it has the best name, and each form has the best voice clips and sound effects in the game.

I just got done unlocking all the characters in the game myself (sans Alex Kidd because Christmas ain't here yet :colbert: ). Like you said, all the little details are great if you're an old school Sega fan. I really hope they get around to actually releasing some DLC down the road. I know they had that online fan polling to see which characters folks would be most interested in getting as DLC, and I guess Sumo Digital is just waiting for the OK from Sega proper.

The game's Rainbow Road analogue has the most appropriate music. :allears:

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

Gutcruncher posted:

Considering I just about jumped off a bridge when I saw that Ryo didnt make it back in, I know who Im voting for!

The poll was finished back on Dec. 1st, and they were going to try and get the top three incorporated into the game somehow. Ryo made it to top three (and apparently was the #1 fan choice overall), with the second place winner being Hatsune Miku ( :geno: ) and the third place winner being

:black101:SEGATA SANSHIRO:black101:

So, there's that to look forward to perhaps.

The official thread for it on the Sega boards

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

Supercar Gautier posted:

I think anyone who got over 1000 votes is in consideration, and the three will be decided from a combination of popularity/negotiability. That means Vectorman, Bayonetta, Ristar, and Toejam/Earl are also possibilities. It's a good field.

Ah right, I re-read those rules and yeah, it's a pretty good spread. Unfortuantely, Opa Opa, Space Harrier, and Bonanza Bros. didn't make it so screw you Sega fans. :smith:

Hell, Opa Opa would've been the easiest to model and animate. Just reuse the assets from the last game. It ain't like Opa Opa needs a vehicle or to transform into others to glide across the roads and water and fly in the sky.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Space Harrier Dude can pilot Opa-Opa for double the fanservice!

They can be called "Team Fantasy Zone". :allears:

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

I had one of my Miiverse comments made about a month ago pulled by Nintendo just recently for apparently being a spoiler. The game in question was NSMBU, and the spoiler was apparently me making an off-hand remark about Bowser putting the Sumo Bros. back on the payroll. :shrug:

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

AngryCaterpillar posted:

That... was me who flagged it. I hope we can still be friends.

They don't pull the comment though do they? They just tag it with a warning.

We're cool. :)

I'm not sure if they actually removed it or marked it as a spoiler, to be honest. All I know is that I got a warning about it and that was that.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

Minidust posted:

Kind of a general question, but here goes:
What are some goon-recommended standout Wii games that aren't Nintendo properties? I only ask with that caveat because my brother already has most of the iterative Nintendo stuff in his collection, so I pretty much have access to all that. I just picked up MadWorld and Epic Mickey so I'm looking for more stuff in that vein. Bonus points if the game isn't likely to get a Wii U version that makes it obsolete.

Glancing over at my shelf, here's some of what I have for third-party stuff on the Wii that I recommend:

- Boom Blox
- de Blob
- Goldeneye 007
- The House of the Dead Overkill
- NBA Jam
- No More Heroes
- No More Heroes 2
- Red Steel 2
- Sonic Colors
- Tatsunoko vs. Capcom
- Zack & Wiki

Some folks will probably argue against a few of those titles (Tatsunoko vs. Capcom mostly) but I enjoyed what I played of those to varying degrees. Red Steel 2 is significantly better than the first Red Steel, and Sonic Colors is surprisingly good which threw me off initially.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

greatn posted:

It's funny, I don't think Nintendo's dues will ever be paid for censoring Mortal Kombat 1. Even though the following year Mortal Kombat 2 had no censorship at all. They will never live it down.

I'd like to think it's fallout from the 16-bit console wars. Even if MK2 was uncensored and was technically a better running game than the Genesis version, the damage from the results of MK1 was done. Sega always had more of those "controversial" games that you most likely wouldn't find on a Nintendo platform, but even after Nintendo started laxing their censorship control a bit, Sega was still outputting more of those kind of games. Even if the fanboys of today weren't around for the 16-bit days, the scars still remain. 16-bit console wars never forget :911:

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

greatn posted:

How the hell can anyone get enough points?

You buy enough Nintendo crap over the years and not spend the points on anything, you end up affording a lot of the high-end stuff. That's how I was able to get the two Game & Watch DS games, the G&W Ball reproduction, and the gold nunchuck.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

I thought everyone had agreed by now that the best 3D zelda is either Majora's Mask or Wind Waker.

All I ever heard for years was folks arguing between Link to the Past and Ocarina of Time. I only ever hear Majora's Mask or Wind Waker on these forums. Besides, Zelda II is the best. :smuggo:

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

Artix74 posted:

It was posted in the Wii thread, but it might as well be posted here too, considering that the Wii U can play Wii games.

X-Seed is localizing Pandora's Tower for Spring 2013

I accidentally clicked that link and ended up on Kotaku. That's bad.

But at least Pandora's Tower is coming to the US. That's good.

I already own Xenoblade and Last Story, so Pandora's Tower will just balance things all out.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

It sure is nice that Balloon Fight is running at an appropriate aspect ratio. Between that, the restore point feature from the 3DS VC games, and having the option to play on the pad, I won't feel too bad re-purchasing/updating my Wii VC library to Wii U as they come down the pike.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

robot roll call posted:

And honestly I find the correct aspect ratio, tablet play and retardedly mappable controls to be worth a buck for any games I really want to upgrade.

The aspect ratio thing alone was enough for me, but all that extra stuff is just so nice in general. Regardless, I can play all the VC games I purchased over the years on my Wii U with no problem at all (unless you consider going into Wii Mode a problem) and having the option to upgrade it for a buck isn't that bad considering it's just that: an option.

Haven't heard anything about other consoles moving onto Wii U VC either, and stuff like R-Type for the TG-16 is probably going to never make it on there either.

Since other digital services were mentioned, all that Crimson Skies DLC I bought through Xbox Live is gone forever. RIP Crimson Skies, the best Xbox Live game ever. :smith:

Mercury Crusader fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Jan 24, 2013

• Locked thread