Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Flint_Paper posted:

EDIT: Definitely looking forward to New Super Mario Bros U. Is it worth getting the Wii version as well, or just diving straight into the WiiU one? (NB: Have not played any NSMB game, inc DS)

A lot of people give the NSMB series poo poo for its aesthetics and such, but the Wii and Wii U games are pretty good. I'd argue NSMBU is right up there with SMB3 and SMW in terms of great level design. Both games have completely different levels so it's not like you're buying the same game twice. But I'd recommend getting NSMBU first, then grabbing Wii if you liked what you played and want some more levels.

It's the handheld entries, NSMB 1 and 2, that most people are down about because they really don't have very good level design.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

jivjov posted:

"more or less the same game" with completely different levels each time around.

Nobody cares about level design in the year 2014.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

Dr. Dos posted:

This is definitely the case, I decided to pick it up as my Club Nintendo reward and now really want to play Excitebike and Balloon fight. Joke's on nintendo though since I have an original NES still. But otherwise!

I always thought Balloon Fight was better than Joust since it made more sense as far as how you were supposed to hit enemies. And I thought it was weird that the physics in that game mirror the underwater segments of Super Mario Bros. until I read somewhere that they were in fact the same.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

ChaosArgate posted:

From what I remember, Nintendo's NES emulator applies a filter onto the screen that replicates how the games would look on a CRT instead of giving us a clear and sharp image. That filter is permanently grafted on there and can't be disabled.

I don't recall NES games looking not-very-vibrant at all on CRTs. Then again I still own a CRT TV for my older games and it's not even a good one.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

I wonder how Steam players handled the lack of online multiplayer for Dynasty Warriors 8...

To be honest, I forget that Dynasty Warriors games have multiplayer at all a lot of the time.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

Serrath posted:

This is a really basic question but I can't seem to find a straight answer so apologies for something I should have been able to find myself.

Everybody else has covered most of the info, but I'm gonna add some advice in the event you decide you want to upgrade to Wii Remote Plus controllers: the standard non-plus Wii Remotes are pretty much worthless in regards to selling them off since there are so many of them out in the wild and people want the Plus. Depending on your love of Wii light gun-style games, you can use your extra Wii Remotes on Wii Zapper shells and pretend they're dedicated light guns. Of course this also assumes you have extra nunchuck accessories as well but you can find those cheap enough I guess.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

Was Vegas Stakes not released on the Wii U VC yet?

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

Whatever is in the new thread OP, I recommend this picture somewhere on it, thanks in advance.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Come to think of it, what the hell happened to Watchdogs Wii U? I can't imagine anyone cares at this point, but still, is it officially cancelled?

Probably. As such, much like Aliens: Colonial Marines, that makes the Wii U version the best version.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

Wildtortilla posted:

I found myself near Beat Buy this morning so I stopped in to see if they had any Wii U or 3DS games on sale. Their Nintendo section looked absolutely picked over and barebones. Everything was a mess and they barely had any games available. Their Nintendo section looked exactly like this immediately after E3 and I figured it was ravages by people in a Nintendo craze but now I think they just don't give a poo poo about Nintendo.

The Best Buy in my area is about the same. But then everything in the video games section is in disarray, it's just more pronounced in the 3DS/Wii U area because it's not as large. The only aisle that's even remotely in decent shape is the Skylanders/Disney Infinity aisle.

There's also this tiny little section dedicated to the OUYA with like three or four of them that have been sitting there seemingly forever.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

Take out lives, add regenerating health.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

O__O posted:

What about the story????

David Cage had other projects going on.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

Sticker Star was a point-and-click adventure with "RPG battles" tacked on to it because "Paper Mario" and a better story wouldn't have fixed its gameplay issues.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

Quest For Glory II posted:

I'm enjoying Sticker Star but I had different expectations going in than the people who paid full price for it on release date

I started enjoying it more when I stopped pretending it was trying to be an RPG and started pretending it was a point-and-click adventure game ala Sam & Max or something. Most of the progression in the game was "find this item to get past this obstacle" so I'm assuming that's what they were aiming for. Even the boss fights functioned more or less in that manner, in that you had to find some item to make it trivial. The battles didn't make much sense being there but I guess they needed to pad the game out with something.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Was more just trying to poke fun at it as I recall Miyamoto disliking stories in Mario and having the game gutted and Bowser silenced because of it.

If I'm misremembering then whoops v:v:v

I can't remember where that interview was, but I'm sure Kotaku and Polygon and every other games journalist took the translated interview, cherry-picked through, and figured "Miyamoto hates stories in Mario" would be a great clickbait article.

Mercury Crusader fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Aug 10, 2014

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

But it was important to establish the origin of Bowser Jr. for all my fanfic canon needs

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

CatsPajamas posted:

The black sheep of Mario RPGs, Super Paper Mario and Sticker Star, both tried to diverge from the turn-based RPG style while still obstinately carrying the Paper Mario name. Super Paper Mario is more of a platformer / RPG hybrid, and Sticker Star is more like an Adventure Game with RPG elements (like other people pointed out in the thread). I still think they're both fine games and I'd definitely encourage people to play through them once, but it's understandable that they didn't meet people's expectations for games in the genre. It's like if you were expecting Super Mario Bros. 3 and got Super Mario Bros. 2 (USA) - it doesn't mean Super Mario Bros. 2 is bad, but it's not what you wanted.

I'm glad they've decided to make the Paper Mario series more of their weird experimental series much like how Kirby games get the occasional weird title. Even if they aren't as good as I think they could've been due to some expectation of the series needing RPG elements, at least they're trying new things with it. It probably didn't help that having both the Paper Mario AND Mario & Luigi sub-series as RPGs didn't make too much sense.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

The New series using "wahs" in all the music tracks is a summoning ritual to ensure that future generations are prepared for New Super Wario Bros.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

TVs Ian posted:

I have no idea if you could do with with 2 GBAs, an e-reader, and printed versions of the cards though, since those are probably impossible to find now.

I'm such a big dumb fan of Super Mario Bros. 3 that I jumped on getting all those required components when they first came out.

I wish they could've released more of those cards that give additional stages.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

theminx posted:

im pretty sure those eReader things are semi valuable at the moment, you should check into selling them, that is if you're not an insane collector.

Actually I'm an insane video game hoarder. :negative:

Think of all the dumb poo poo I could buy if I sold my CIB copy of Earthbound or Panzer Dragoon Saga.

Mercury Crusader fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Aug 14, 2014

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

Nolgthorn posted:

I've just noticed Mario Sunshine is on the eShop.

I'll probably not buy it. Rather play something better with improved graphics, music and gameplay. One of you who loves the unholy hell out of Mario Sunshine convince me to waste my money on it anyway even though I've already made up my mind and am never gonna budge, no sir.

I recommend buying a new graphics card, it can make all the difference in the world. Check with SH/SC for the latest new video cards, and maybe one of them has Super Mario Sunshine included with it.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

I'll end up getting a PS4 sometime in the near future, but I haven't really enjoyed Sony's first-party offerings in recent years. Back in the PS1 era, they had quite a selection of more niche and experimental (for the time at least) titles such as Parappa the Rapper and Intelligence Qube. With the PS3, it was mostly just downloadable titles like Tokyo Jungle and echochrome. And I'm really not interested in most AAA titles, which is why I ended up investing more time on the Wii, DS, PSP, and PC than I did the 360 or PS3.

I've been hanging on to the 360 for the exclusives on that, but most of Microsoft's first-party games don't interest me outside of I guess the first Crackdown being kinda fun, and the first Dead Rising still being exclusive on it. I was also keeping it for the Good Version of Bayonetta, but since that's getting ported to the Wii U it gives me less of a reason to keep it around. Also Chromehounds is dead. :(

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

whaley posted:

Final Fantasy is a bad reason to buy a game console nowadays unfortunately. After the three horrible Final Fantasy 13s I'm pretty convinced SquareSoft doesn't know what the hell they're doing anymore.

They know what the people want, and it's more of Motomu Toriyama's waifu Lightning.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

Personally, I like how the 360 handles its advertisements, by plastering them everywhere on the dashboard. Especially the ads that have nothing to do with video games.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

New Super Luigi U rules, so if you haven't played it yet I'd say go for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

Fremry posted:

What's the consensus on this because I still have $15 on the eShop. I really don't need to be buying a new game since I already have a Wii U backlog but I LOVED NSMBU. I'm thinking of using the money as a discount on Bayonetta 2.

The stages are about half the length of the stages in NSMBU, but they're more difficult by comparison, lack mid-stage checkpoints, and you only get 100 seconds to clear the stage. Also, Luigi's controls are similar to how they worked in Lost Levels, in that high jump is higher and he's a little floatier in the air, but his ground traction is worse so he's harder to stop once moving. I'd say it's great if you loved NSMBU and wanted more of a challenge.

• Locked thread