Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Policenaut posted:

Kamiya's too busy with his new full-time job: yelling at morons on Twitter.

It's basically the best thing about Twitter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Bobnumerotres posted:

Wii U: loving Capcom making me buy this piece of poo poo for Monster Hunter ugh.

Stealing Tim Buckley's material, I see.

codenameFANGIO posted:

It's not Wii, it's U.

This one's the best one. :drat:

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

WendigoJohnson posted:

Yeah but they've removed stuff like Donkey Kong Country from the VC and it's not up on the New one.

If you bought the game prior to them removing it from the Wii Shop, you can still download them. Case in point, both SimCity and R-Type are no longer available for purchase, but I bought them back when they first came out and can still download them just fine on my Wii U after the transfer process.

Also, unless Nintendo is deliberately going to lock out your Wii VC stuff in order to force you to buy the Wii U upgrade, I don't see a problem. I can still access all my Wii VC stuff on the Wii U.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

Nuts & Bolts was a great wonky physics sandbox game, but that's about it. I spent more time in that game building goofy vehicles and seeing how or if they'd work than I did actually progressing through the game. The collect-a-thon parts were awful, but were necessary to get more parts to build even more ridiculous poo poo.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

kirbysuperstar posted:

You mean Autocombo: The Game? Yeah, no thanks.

Between the KILLER (Cuts) SOUNDTRACK and the *HONK*ing awesome commerical, I can forgive the otherwise mediocre fighting game. Then again, I'm a huge fan of the Art of Fighting series so...

Also, behold: Rare's greatest game!

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

Artix74 posted:

Just like Nintendo charged everyone to be able to play all their DSiware games on the 3DS, right? Oh wait, that didn't happen. The Virtual Console charge for the Wii U is to upgrade it to using savestates/button mapping/the gamepad screen, all of which take time and money to implement for each game considering how insistent Nintendo is that VC game play as close as possible to how the originals did. If you don't want to pay the fee, all of your games are sitting there in Wii mode, and you can play them any time you want.

Or alternatively, if you didn't buy the game on the Wii at all, it'll end up costing you the same to buy it at full price on the Wii U.

It's like people read a Kotaku article or NeoGAF thread (the headline/thread title) and think that all their Wii VC games are going to be locked out or something because there will be a separate Wii U VC. How many times has this come up in this thread, where people complain that they're "forced" to re-purchase their Virtual Console games if they ever want to play them again, yet ignoring that they're completely playable in Wii Mode? Unless they heard through the same Kotaku article/NeoGAF thread that Nintendo is actually going to disable Wii Mode or render your Wii VC inoperable via a patch once those games show up on Wii U VC so they can force you to repurchase games (Source: The Internet).

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

MissileWaster posted:

What day does F-Zero come out? I've heard the 20th, but I just wanted to be sure.

According to Nintendo's website, the 20th it is:

http://www.nintendo.com/wiiu/downloads/virtual-console/

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

ShadeofDante posted:

Why do they have Super Metroid on there? I mean that'd be great!

But... I'm assuming they meant the original?

If it was an error, they'd have fixed it by now.

And of all the games, the weakest is probably Yoshi. Y'all can make an argument for Balloon Fight being the weakest, but that was pretty much an arcade-style title (and a Joust clone that's arguably better than Joust) and Balloon Trip rules. Yoshi, on the other hand, was a poor puzzle game that came out well after Tetris and Dr. Mario came out. Still gonna buy it for $0.30, though.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

That game-breaking bug has a patch you can download via the Wii Shop Channel on Wii Mode. It's a free download. Haven't had to use it myself, so I'm not exactly sure how it works, but I just kept it on-hand just in case.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

Cliff Racer posted:

The Dreamcast did not win.

He said weakest console, not best.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

Origins was a weird situation where it was released against a shitload of competition, including Assassin's Creed: Revelations, which Ubisoft marketed the hell out of but not Origins. It had a lovely first month (I believe it sold about 50,000 copies in its first month) and everybody expected Ubisoft to just kill the franchise right there, since a lot of publishers really care about the first month performance of a game. Then all of a sudden it started selling after a price drop and over the course of several months it started turning a profit.

I dunno, maybe Ubisoft is expecting the exact same thing to happen with Legends.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

Neo Rasa posted:

If the GBA could handle Yoshi's Island though surely the Wii/Wii U can?

I'm sure they had to rework the game in some way for the GBA that didn't involve the Super FX chip. In fact, I'm guessing one of the reason the Wii U Virtual Console is going to feature GBA games is so they can throw the GBA version of Yoshi's Island out there instead of figuring out how to run Super FX chip games on their emulator.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

Widdiful posted:

Judging from your comments on the games it sounds fantastic. Should I pick up a copy of Origins now or wait for Legends to be released?

You can get it for about $20 or less for any platform of your choosing (except the 3DS which I believe is $30 and is also not that good). Just pick the platform you want to play it on because it's good no matter which you choose.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

zarron posted:

Microsoft has already been experimenting with this. I think you pay $99 for the console and then pay another $15 a month for 2 years. It seemed to garner them some success so I wouldn't be surprised if they did something like it again after launch.

Yeah, it was $99 plus $15 for the console plus a two-year Xbox Live Gold subscription. I thought it was a really weird way to sell the console when I saw it at Best Buy, but apparently they're selling. I'm not even sure which SKU it was, either.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

Louisgod posted:

It's really tempting to hold onto all these articles for a year or two this time around when things inevitably turn around so you can shove it back in the "journalist's" face how they were jumping on the DOOOOMED train but like it'd make a difference. Same gloom happened with the DS, Wii, 3DS and now the WiiU.

"Game journalists" don't care about being wrong in the long term. They care about the here and now, and right now they need those clicks and ad revenue, and nothing brings in the hits like Nintendo-brand Doom & Gloom Reporting (tm)! Over a decade of it and it still brings home the bacon!

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Maybe its a reference to Unreal engine tech or they started labelling them with the Playstation/N64 era.

I'm guessing the latter, because the Playstation brand has been going numerical and it's easier than getting them young'uns to remember how many generations of "ancient/unplayable" games they've missed.

I already think it's weird that there's a generation of gamers that never grew up with the NES, and now you have some that never grew up during the 16-bit era and possibly the 32/64-bit era. Feeling old.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

Crowbear posted:

Mario Kart: Double Dash or Mario Kart Wii were some people's first and thus favorite Mario Kart, and that is weird to me.

I didn't care much for MK Wii myself, but I'm probably one of the few folks that actually enjoyed Double Dash. It's not my favorite, but I didn't think it was the turd some people claim it is. :shrug:

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

The Dreamcast was too good for this world. Arcade-perfect ports finally realized, but much too late.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

Cliff Racer posted:

To think, all it took to get arcade perfect was for arcade tech to be surpassed by that which could be cheaply assembled inside a 3 by 8 by 8 box.

On the other hand, I don't recall the PS2/Xbox/Gamecube ports of Dreamcast games being all that great. Those three consoles just couldn't handle the Arcade Experience (except for F-Zero GX :getin: )

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

toxicsunset posted:

Because teams of people dedicated to figuring this kind of thing out decided that there isn't enough, if any, profit in catering to the specific needs of a relative handful of nostalgic gamers.

There will be a point in time where all those games will be lost in time, like back when people didn't care about film preservation, because all the hardware is gone and nobody will want to re-create it. And then we will all rely on emulators that are passable at best but still can't run games the way its supposed to due to all the weird things developers had to do to run on old, often times confusingly constructed hardware (the Saturn is already at that point; any games ported to newer platforms are based on their respective PC ports, and the rest are limited to whatever is on the used games market).

You have people that claim that "games are art" or whatever and yet gaming enthusiast don't give a poo poo about software preservation in the same way movie buffs care about film preservation. It's a drat shame.

Mercury Crusader fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Feb 21, 2013

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

Widdiful posted:

drat, 1.5Mbit? Do any other consoles have internet speeds from 1995?

Well, there's the Sega Saturn if you have the NetLink adapter. Blazing fast 28.8k modem according to magazine advertisements! But thems the breaks you pay if you want to play Saturn Bomberman with the two other people in the world that own such a setup.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

AngryCaterpillar posted:

Reading your posts is like reading the posts of a time traveller Mercury Crusader :allears:

I've been told by friends and family members that visiting my gaming room is like time traveling into a local video game rental store from the mid-'90s. And I guess they're kinda right.

drat, F-Zero is looking crisp on the Wii U Virtual Console. Can't wait to get all them other thirty cent VC games even though I own them all in a physical format because :retrogames:

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

MinibarMatchman posted:

FF7 has aged horribly and Square has been on a downward spiral with FF properties since Enix came along.

I don't see how Square merging with Enix caused Final Fantasy to go down the shitter. Dragon Quest certainly didn't suffer from the same merger.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

thefncrow posted:

I've found that, on remakes and such, many people have this mental image of how the original game looked that doesn't often line up with the reality of how the game actually looked. Unless you were actively going back and looking at what the N64 version looked like against what the 3DS remake looked like, it would be very easy to go "Oh, this looks the same".

That's true. My brothers and best friend get together on weekends every now and again to hang out, and Goldeneye on the N64 is one of our go-to games. First time we got back into it after almost a decade of hiatus, my friend mentioned that he didn't remember the game being so sluggish, as in the framerate dipping so bad. On the other hand, since he has never played FPS games outside of Goldeneye and the 32X version of Doom, he didn't have problems readjusting to the controls, unlike both of my brothers in which one played Quake III constantly while the other plays Counter-Strike a lot. Still had a blast, though, Goldeneye rules.

There also seems to be varying tolerance levels of old games like that. We get together to play Goldeneye and it's all good. But one time I was playing the game with some co-workers and while myself and two others loved it, the fourth couldn't stand it and wanted to play Halo instead. Then we played Halo and it was miserable for all but him. :shrug:

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

Artix posted:

Remind me why I should be outraged at not being able to upgrade my basic's internal memory when the first thing I did was attach a 1 TB external hard drive to it, again? :confused:

If folks are still complaining about the 32 GB internal drive being too small despite the fact they could add a larger external hard drive, they probably care a lot about the external aesthetics of the Wii U. It looks kind of awful to have that external drive just sitting there next to or behind the Wii U I suppose if you care about that kind of thing, like how the 360's HD-DVD external drive add-on next to the old model 360 looks kinda weird.

If the issue is that it is too little storage for out-of-the-box, I don't know what to tell you. First thing I did when I decided to get a PS3 was replaced the hard drive with a 500 GB drive. From a user-friendly standpoint, I would think attaching an external hard drive via USB is easier than replacing an internal drive, but then people complain about the bandwidth of USB or that they will probably have to buy yet another accessory or any myriad of issues people may find issue with.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

gently caress I wish EA just went ahead with their own console.

They kind of did with the 3DO back in 1993. Granted, it was created by the 3DO Company and not EA, but that company was formed by Trip Hawkins (founder of EA) and a large chunk of the games made for the console were from EA. That was the closest thing EA had to their own console, and even then EA didn't want to exclude themselves from the PC and Sega Genesis market.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

Minidust posted:

The way that article describes NFC in games reminds me of the GameBoy e-reader cards actually.
I bought a bunch of those.:negative:

So did I. And I still have all the stuff I bought for them tucked away neatly in a cardboard card box.

I really wish there were more Super Mario Bros. 3 cards. The extra levels were worth the e-Reader alone.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

greatn posted:

When it's available on WiiU, of you already own the Wii version and have system transferred it over to your WiiU, you still have to buy the WiiU version, but it is discounted to just $1 instead of full price. I think that's for NES games, SNES might be a couple bucks more.

You don't have to buy the Wii U version if you don't want. The Wii version should still be playable after the Wii U version is released. This is based on what's currently going on, with me owning the VC version of F-Zero and still being able to play it after buying the Wii U version. That being said, when they do start that discounted upgrade offer, I wonder if folks'll still have access to the Wii version if they upgrade to the Wii U version.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

Quest For Glory II posted:

Again, they're competing with free.

I don't really count piracy as legitimate competition, regardless of the ease of which you can do it. And the kind of folks that would complain about a $5 NES game, when the only other alternatives to getting those games are buying them on the original hardware or :filez:, are probably just buying the original hardware (as is the case with me (anecdotal evidence!) or that whole retro gaming thing folks seem to be doing) or more likely was never going to buy the game in the first place no matter what the price is.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

That's pretty funny because publishers do, which is why games get ridiculous markdowns on Steam and Amazon.

If only any of the three console publishers would do Steam-caliber sales.

All I'm saying is that if they don't lower the price I won't buy. I'm not going to side with livid liquid, because he doesn't consider "just don't pay it then" a legitimate option, but I do. I can just play the games I already own in Wii Mode and that's that.

And that's a valid stance to take. I have a shitload of Wii VC games that I transferred over from my old Wii, and I can play them whenever.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

I dunno, Ubisoft just had a big sale on Wii U, and Frozenbyte has put Trine on sale multiple times, and any publisher has the freedom to mark their game down on eShop as deep and as often as they want. It's the one concession that Nintendo has made that I'd like Sony and Microsoft to make.

I know Nintendo did a couple of sales on the 3DS eShop, but those seem to be pretty infrequent. The only hope at this point would be if Nintendo does regular sales with their Virtual Console stuff. If not them than third parties, provided they actually release games on the eShop, Virtual Console or otherwise.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

Gutcruncher posted:

Sure it would be neat getting points for buying Wii Shop Channel games, but Nintendo no longer has a reason to ask you questions about it. They dont care how your experience went buying old games they no longer care about on the old service they no longer care about. Its the same reason all my GBA and Gamecube games I registered pre-Club Nintendo didnt get me anything.

I remember registering a bunch of GBA/GCN/DS/Wii poo poo before Club Nintendo was a thing. All of a sudden, Club Nintendo becomes a thing and about maybe a third or quarter of all the stuff I registered gave me my first platinum year. Good times.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

The things I ended up getting with Club Nintendo coins were the two Game & Watch DS games, the Game & Watch Ball reproduction, and the gold nunchuck. I'm going to end up with a shitload of coins once this year's cycle is over and I start submitting codes for next year's platinum, but without any idea of what to get with said coins.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You have a point. For somebody like me, who ends up buying every platform anyways, the lack of third-party support on the Wii U isn't that big of a deal. But for others that were expecting the Wii U to cover as many different titles as the 360/PS3/PC did, and aren't going to invest in multiple platforms, it is a downer.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

Alteisen posted:

Most Nintendo fans should be used to it by now though. :v:

I grew up in an age where Nintendo had the majority of the third-party support. Seeing that support die down over two decades is still weird to me.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

ghostwritingduck posted:

Nintendo needs to make an achievement system that gives you stuff to personalize your mii. That would drive interest up in third party games.

If it's anything like the way the 3DS does it with Find Mii, all they need to do is give your Wii U Mii a Kirby hat. It's the best hat, and everybody would be happy.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

Commissar Ken posted:

Ahahaha. So wait you have to focus on the pad playing all those minigames while also trying to look out for creepy RINGU mom? That's amazing. Scariest part of the whole thing was the kid owns a Virtual Boy. Clearly this is a hosed up house.

As the owner of a Virtual Boy, you are completely wrong. Virtual Boy rules. Wario Land on Virtual Boy rules. :colbert:

The Virtual Boy having a battery lifespan of a Game Gear does not rule.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

Put a bunch of old school Nintendo characters in the game. Sonic & Sega All-Stars Racing had Bonanza Bros. and Opa-Opa, Transformed had Gilius and Joe Musashi, and both games had Alex Kidd. Let's get the guy from Balloon Fight in there; he already has balloons so he's ready for the battle mode. Also, Mach Rider and Excite Bike guy both have motorcycles so they're already set.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

Random Stranger posted:

The WiiU owners would be the only people desperate enough to buy the game. :v:

I wonder how many WiiU-only owners bought that apparently lovely Walking Dead game...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

Or maybe a sell a "N64 to USB" connector which plugs your original N64 controller to one of the USB outlets.

Asides from myself and maybe two other people from the Retro Gaming Thread, who else would have an N64 controller that still functions correctly in the year 2013?

• Locked thread