Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

Robolizard! posted:

Who was the goon that took a picture with his 14 wii consoles and got the forum title "I RUINED CHRISTMAS"? I forgot

This is the first I've heard about this. Any idea how much money he ended up making off them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

Bombadilillo posted:

It seems like everywhere (except Bestbuy) is being very careful about not taking orders for more systems they are allotted.

There are 2 possibilities.

1. There is an initial quota to gauge how many systems to make, spying demand as it were.
2. This is really what is allotted and yes you missed it.

Given that even Japan is getting a launch later then the US because they are limited in making systems, the later is probably true. God for basic or hope for a place that has one or roll the dice with Best Buy.

After reading a bunch of stuff like this I'm getting antsy about this best buy preorder. Do they really have a history of preorder gently caress ups? How were they handled, am I looking at having to wait an extra week for my preorder or having it canceled altogether if they mess up?

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

So I'm guessing more reviews will go up around midnight? I just got my email from Best Buy saying my Wii U will be ready to pick up tomorrow during regular store hours, I didn't realize they opened at 11am. It was about this time of day on Wii launch that I got in line so I guess it could be worse.

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

xgalaxy posted:

I called best buy a few days ago and the lady I talked to was pretty frank and said they took more preorders than they had units and said there was going to be some pissed off people and I shouldn't bother waiting because whatever additional stock they were going to get from then until probably the end of Black Friday was gonna have to go to the oversold preorders.

Then two days later Target.com had their bundle and I got one through that.

God drat it, you had to post this right before I went to bed. I swear, if they tell me my preorder is not there at Best Buy tomorrow I will be a broken man.

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

I'm about to head out the door to try my preorder at Best Buy. Still can't decide between Black Ops and Zombiu, guess I'll shoot from the hip when I get in line.

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

Rirse posted:

Is there a way to adjust the screen on the Wii U? I been noticing this on a lot of games that they are cropping off on the side, especially if the tablet showing the same screen as the tv.

Do you mean on the TV? I had to change the aspect ratio on my TV to just scan, seemed to fix it

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

My house is not a large house by any means, but when I bought it I think they forgot to tell me I have loving lead lined walls. Tried some Mario in bed last night and it kept stuttering and freezing, not blaming in on the Wii cause my Nexus 7 also has a hard time picking up wifi signal in my bed.

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

The Miiverse is so cool, it really is hard to explain to people that don't have a Wii U how fun it is to be a part of. I really hope Nintendo realizes the potential it has and continues to expand it.

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

I am sorry if this has been asked a hundred times before, but is Black Ops not going to be available from the eshop? I would have bought it long ago if it was.

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

After registering my Wii U and Mario U I am only 40 points away from Club Nintendo Platinum for the second year in a row.

:getin:

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

I have skipped several pages of cpu/tech talk so I apologize if this had been answered. Will I get Nintendo points if I buy Black Ops? I am saving for that sweet gold nunchuck hoping that it comes back in stock so sadly this will probably be the deciding factor on whether I buy it or not this weekend.

Follow up question, do I receive Nintendo points on any item I buy from the eShop? If so I may pick up NBA 2K13 instead.

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

I was just checking out the Miiverse on NBA2K13 and people are complaining about the frame rate and how a patch may be incoming to fix it. Do you all know anything about this? To anybody that has played it, is the frame rate that bad? I want to buy it on my Wii U so I can play it in bed, but if it has issues I will save the $30 and just get it on Steam.

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

Does anybody know how big the Sonic demo is? Also, if I download the demo and then decide to purchase it, is it just a download a small unlock thing or do I have to download the entire thing again?

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

The demo is ~1100MB, off the top of my head. The full game is substantially bigger.

Thanks, since it is going to take almost 4 hours to download this demo I am tempted to just go ahead and buy the thing so I will only have to wait all night once.

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

Boba1213 posted:

FOUR hours?! I downloaded and installed it in less than the time it took me to shower, with the Rayman demo also downloading at the same time. (That's about 10 minutes.) Are you playing on Dial-up?

BTW in case it matters this was done around 3:30 this afternoon.

I just started it again and its less than an hour.. seems to be more on par for my connection.

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

I just started watching Dumb and Dumber on Amazon Instant Video and noticed they have their Xray service on it. It seems like a cool use of the pad while you are watching a movie on the tv.

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

I am glad to hear that more people are playing Black Ops now. I loved playing it in bed, but as fun as team death match is, it will be awesome to actually have people to play with in other modes.

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

I am pretty excited to actually be able to use all the Wii U money I had people buy me for Christmas this year. Since I finished ZombiU my Wii U has been used primarily as a cat chair, for some reason the little bastard loves sitting on it. I think suck a long drought is going to prompt me to go crazy now that games are coming out, will probably get Lego GTA, NFS, and Monster Hunter. Well played Nintendo.

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

I'm about to start Monster Hunter downloading and go to bed. Can anybody confirm what exactly I need to to in order to make sure it downloads overnight uninterrupted? I just turned off the auto shutoff but want to make sure I'm not missing anything.

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

I started downloading Pikmin 3 last night and went to bed so hopefully it's finished and ready to play now. Do you guys that have played it suggest wii mote + motion plus or the gamepad for the controls.

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

Is the new Lego Marvel game available on the eshop? I just cashed in my deluxe gift codes and have some money to spend on the shop, was hoping to use it towards that game.

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

Decided I would save a few dollars and get Arkham City on Wii U instead of Origins, went even cheaper and got it used from Gamestop. Just got home and tried it out, it is showing invalid disc when I try to load i and I am getting the message disc cannot be read. I eyeballed it and didnt see any huge scratched or smudges on the game so I hope this is not an indication of bad things to come. Anyone else had a problem similar to this? I only have 1 physical Wii U game, Nintendo Land, and it loads fine. I also tried a couple Wii games and no problem so I really am hoping it is just the one game.

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

I did think they may have put the wrong game in afterwards, but it checks out, it's wii u armored edition. I even thought that maybe it was for another region, but it says "Plays on Wii U systems sold for the Americas only" around the edge. I'm hoping it is a bad disc, I'm going to try to exchange it tomorrow. One thing, I did find a couple of small scratches but if it is the scratches that has caused this, my physical wii u games don't have a chance, they are really tiny.

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

Minidust posted:

Optical media can just be weird like that. I've had games, music CDs, and blu-ray movies where the disc looks pristine but just doesn't play for whatever reason. Meanwhile an older disc with visible scratches plays fine without a hitch. Often there is very little rhyme or reason to it. Don't be too worried about it!

Right on, exchange it for another used copy today and have been playing for an hour with no problems, I am really relieved. Its funny, I asked the guy at Gamestop if he had a wii u I can try this one in and he just said nope.. do the display models not work with retail discs?

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

I am pretty disheartened about my Wii U right now. I tried to push it on my brother that came in for Thanksgiving.. he is the perfect Wii U customer.. raised on Nintendo, has a 7 year old that plays games.. but he just didnt seemed impressed with the system at all. He alternated between playing my Shield, all old NES and SNES games via emulator, and being excited that Minecraft is coming to Vita soon. I guess I did have a small victory because it sounded like I sold either a Vita or a Shield, but I really want more people to be excited for the Wii U.

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

Commissar Ken posted:

I totally expected that but it still hurts. The best game. :smith:

For anybody that doesn't own this yet, its down to $23.99 on Amazon.com right now. It is a crime to not pick it up for that.

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

I ordered a Wii U Pro controller from Amazon before they sold out and it should be here tomorrow. I was tired of using a Wii remote + classic controller as an alternative to the gamepad. I have a couple of questions. Does it work with the new GBA games that came out, specifically Mario RPG. Also, are there any games that you guys feel benefit from using the pro controller over the gamepad? How is mario Kart with it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

I am 4 points away from another $5 code from the Deluxe Digital Promotion. What is that, 40 cents?

• Locked thread