Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Warrahooyaargh
Sep 15, 2007
Oh the mundanity

Byolante posted:

Am I correct in thinking there won't be a stream of brook's court appearance?

Correct. We don't have televised court rooms in the UK - I think that's part of the reason the Leveson Inquiry stream was so popular, it's the nearest most of us will get to seeing court TV.

I don't think much will happen at this appearance anyway, other than the accused confirming their names and that they understand the charges (but am happy to be corrected).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warrahooyaargh
Sep 15, 2007
Oh the mundanity

Brown Moses posted:

He follows me on Twitter, and my contributor wrote a rather scathing article about him and his lack of self-awareness, and when I tweeted it he replied "Excellent!", so I tweeted it again saying something along the lines of "described as excellent by Neil Wallis", and he sent me a DM complaining, asking that next time I quote him in quotation marks, and to include the exclamation point. I think perhaps the irony of him asking that in relation to that specific article was lost on him.

I guessed who that HuffPo article was going to be by even without clicking on the link. Did any of these people whining about "ARE PRESS FREEDOM" even watch the inquiry? LJL said many times he doesn't intend to gag the press and public interest reporting was discussed frequently too.

Warrahooyaargh
Sep 15, 2007
Oh the mundanity

Nuclear Spoon posted:

Yo, latest episode of The Thick Of It had a pretty interesting episode inspired by the Leveson Inquiry if you're interested.

I enjoyed that. I wonder if Malcolm Tucker's rant at the end in which he said that none of the inquiry team had made it into the room without bending the rules will be taken as a dig at Lord Justice Leveson and his team or whether the actor was just improvising in character.

Warrahooyaargh
Sep 15, 2007
Oh the mundanity

dimebag dinkman posted:

"Countryside".

I'm guessing this is a reference to an episode of I'm Sorry I Haven't a Clue when they did a round of funny definitions and that word was said to be defined by the phrase "the murder of Piers Morgan". I was listening to it over Sunday lunch and nearly choked. Good old Radio 4!

Warrahooyaargh
Sep 15, 2007
Oh the mundanity

spamman posted:

How something get even bigger than the Dowler story?

Also, thanks for the heads up for the lecture Lord Justice Leveson is giving at Melbourne University via your twitter feed. Would there be any particular questions people here might want to be asked if they provide some kind of avenue for that?

I'm hoping that the fact Brian is off to Oz (presumably as soon as his report is out) means a lot of people are going to be really, really pissed off.

Warrahooyaargh
Sep 15, 2007
Oh the mundanity

Brown Moses posted:

I think this Tweet might clue you in with what's been discovered, along with this article.

Roop sex tape leaked? :ohdear:

Edit: Actually I'm guessing the story is that the Sun bribed a US military official, which would open them to a lawsuit in the States. Isn't that what we've been waiting for for some time?

Warrahooyaargh fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Nov 17, 2012

Warrahooyaargh
Sep 15, 2007
Oh the mundanity
Isn't the Daily Beast run by Sir Harold Evans's other half? Dish best served cold, and all that.

Warrahooyaargh
Sep 15, 2007
Oh the mundanity
Why does the Daily Beast article say there would be an audit trail for any dodgy payments by the press for the Saddam photos? Wouldn't that be a cash-in-a-plain-brown-envelope sort of job or have I watched too many crime thrillers?

Edit: Also, £500 is surely a huge underestimate of any sum paid for those pictures, no?

Warrahooyaargh fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Nov 19, 2012

Warrahooyaargh
Sep 15, 2007
Oh the mundanity
It sounds as if someone's going to have to bribe somebody at the Met or News Corp's internal investigation outfit, and then there'll be e-mail traces of that, and it'll get revealed, and we'll all disappear up our own behinds.

Warrahooyaargh
Sep 15, 2007
Oh the mundanity
Heads up, the Telegraph now has the "Saddam in his undies" story:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/wor...orporation.html

Warrahooyaargh
Sep 15, 2007
Oh the mundanity
It's only when you pay keen attention the Evening Standard's Twitter feed all day that you realise just how poo poo it is. :(

Warrahooyaargh
Sep 15, 2007
Oh the mundanity

Is it too much to hope for that such a tape might actually exist?

At the moment it seems as if various papers are just re-running the 2005 story of the underpants picture without adding anything new. Are they just egging each other on to obtain and publish incriminating evidence?

Warrahooyaargh
Sep 15, 2007
Oh the mundanity

Payndz posted:

Yes; noted perjurer Jeffrey Archer was in an 'open' prison for a while, being allowed out to work and have home visits, but ended up abusing his privileges by having lunches with his Tory mates and was sent back to an actual prison.

... which says all we need to know about the Tories' willingness to turn a blind eye to wrongdoing if you're the right sort of chap.

Warrahooyaargh
Sep 15, 2007
Oh the mundanity

Brown Moses posted:

The ideal Christmas present, the Leveson Inquiry Report, only £250. Alternatively there's the Leveson Report Overview for the cheap price of £29.75. Fun for all the family.

I wonder if Mr. Jay would autograph a copy for me. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warrahooyaargh
Sep 15, 2007
Oh the mundanity
A video of Piers Morgan explaining phone hacking to Charlotte Church in 2003 has surfaced. How timely!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jKNuiClg_Vc

• Locked thread