Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stottie Kyek
Apr 26, 2008

fuckin egg in a bun
edit: wrong thread, sorry

edit2: actually it kind of fits here too: I thought Max Clifford had been arrested under something like Operation Tuleta or some other press corruption thing, I didn't expect that at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stottie Kyek
Apr 26, 2008

fuckin egg in a bun
I don't get the whole "swearing on the Bible" thing at all.

Matthew Chapter 5 posted:

33 “Again, you have heard that it was said to the people long ago, ‘Do not break your oath, but fulfill to the Lord the vows you have made.’
34 But I tell you, do not swear an oath at all: either by heaven, for it is God’s throne;
35 or by the earth, for it is his footstool; or by Jerusalem, for it is the city of the Great King.
36 And do not swear by your head, for you cannot make even one hair white or black.
37 All you need to say is simply ‘Yes’ or ‘No’; anything beyond this comes from the evil one.

Stottie Kyek
Apr 26, 2008

fuckin egg in a bun
I like the "4nd of July" part myself.

Stottie Kyek
Apr 26, 2008

fuckin egg in a bun

Iohannes posted:

Did we suddenly declare independence from somebody? I can't think why else a British Member of Parliament would refer to Thursday as anything other than 4th July 2013.

To be fair, ever since, the USA has gone around the world deposing other countries' leaders and installing their own if they don't like them, condemning drug use at home but exploits the increase in drug abuse elsewhere, enforcing its own ideals on other countries' governments, claiming territories for itself, using foreign countries' populations as sweatshop labour for their manufacturing and using its military might to maintain trade. We taught them so well. :britain:

Stottie Kyek
Apr 26, 2008

fuckin egg in a bun
It's hilariously badly written and the main character really hates women for some reason. He talks about his contempt for rich, successful women with their hair "perfectly quaffed". It gave me the mental picture of a lady in a suit sooking down a wig like it was spaghetti, which probably isn't what he was going for.

edit: just from the first chapter, I couldn't be arsed with any more than that or giving him money

Stottie Kyek fucked around with this message at 13:07 on Jul 10, 2013

Stottie Kyek
Apr 26, 2008

fuckin egg in a bun

Josef bugman posted:

Wow, so why doesn't the Gaurdian article mention that the guy has basically admitted to being interested in kids? I mean, alright, he isn't a child abuser (that we know of) but surely he should at least be in all of the therapy at the moment.

They had Julian Assange write a whole load of conspiracy theory wank for them this week, with no mention of the rape charges he even admitted to (but says wasn't "really" rape), and they love everything Roman Polanski directs, again with no mention of him raping a kid. The Guardian has a pretty strange attitude to sexual abuse, they often have articles on feminist issues sharing space with articles apologising for or idolising abusers. It's like they're against it as a concept, but when it actually happens they don't mind.

Stottie Kyek
Apr 26, 2008

fuckin egg in a bun
If it makes you feel any better, I don't think that was actually his cock, given that he said in his creepy Craigslist messages he was uncircumcised and it was a photo of a circed one.

Stottie Kyek
Apr 26, 2008

fuckin egg in a bun

goddamnedtwisto posted:

The actual problem is that because the public face of the Police in almost all media almost all of the time is far more Dixon of Dock Green than - to be honest I've been struggling for ten minutes to think of a popular-culture example of a bent copper in the UK and nothing's coming. Characters like Jack Regan and Gene Hunt are held up as anti-heroes (or even just plain heroes) and even Burnside was given redemption (and his own series). In that situation the slightest blemish on their character is far more damaging than it should be, and so is fought against all the harder.

I wish The Bill was still on, because that sometimes had storylines of bent cops, or previously good cops going bad over the course of a series, and they always got done for it or had everyone else in the station say, "what are you doing, you idiot, you will get done if you don't stop it now", or "how could you falsify evidence, the whole case will fall apart now", or "you could have talked to us about your gambling problem instead of taking bribes to pay off the loan sharks". They were an idealised version of the police and there were very few really bad guys (except the one Tucker off Grange Hill played, and occasionally Supt Okaro because his personality changed with each scriptwriter) but it was pretty good for what was essentially a soap opera.

Silk is brilliant too, Martha Costello QC is always defending her clients against bent cops (and is played by Maxine Peake who is a communist and does lots of good charity and campaign work!).

Stottie Kyek
Apr 26, 2008

fuckin egg in a bun
Might not have been a kid in the homicide case, could've been an adult who was close to revealing what was going on, as seems to have been the case with Daniel Morgan's murder (although he was finding out about different things).

Stottie Kyek
Apr 26, 2008

fuckin egg in a bun

Serotonin posted:

That's Edward. I'm not at all surprised by these accusations about Andrew. The bloke is a grade A tosser and dodgy as gently caress.

Dude was a gunrunner (sorry, "trade envoy") for the Indonesian government while they were under an arms embargo, after he knew Hawks had been used in the East Timor massacre. We already know he's indirectly responsible for some horrible crimes at the very least, and AFAIK hasn't faced any charges for it.

Stottie Kyek
Apr 26, 2008

fuckin egg in a bun
Plus we know that if we all continue to Work Hard and Get On, we, too, can be rich and powerful one day. It'd be like revolting against our future selves.

Stottie Kyek
Apr 26, 2008

fuckin egg in a bun

Brown Moses posted:

Careful, you're talking about the most dangerous person in the world.

God, I hate people like that. This thread is full of actual, real-life conspiracies going on, and the exploitation of huge chunks of the population whether by classism, racism, sexism etc. is obvious, and there are real horrors happening right in front of us in the news all the time, like abuse of immigration detainees and police brutality. But do these people care? Do they hell, they'd rather talk about how the lizardman Jewish illuminati are controlling our minds with fluoride trails.

I wonder if they're paid to do it to distract people who might otherwise campaign on real issues... :tinfoil:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stottie Kyek
Apr 26, 2008

fuckin egg in a bun

"Axe in the head but five investigations over twenty years found nothing suspicious" is my favourite

• Locked thread