Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Plasmafountain
Jun 17, 2008

Yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plasmafountain
Jun 17, 2008

Seriously BM, I hope all you put on that application form for the BBC was "I am Brown Moses" since you're doing a bangup job.

Plasmafountain
Jun 17, 2008

Brown Moses posted:

A Greater London Assembly spokesperson said: "At no point during these meetings or conversations did the mayor discuss Operation Weeting [Police investigation into phone hacking]."

No? Really? No one could possibly be so stupid as to say this.

Plasmafountain
Jun 17, 2008

The gently caress!? How on earth are they justifying that?

Plasmafountain
Jun 17, 2008

Does anyone know who wins the "called it!" stakes if it comes out cameron/brooks had an affair? I think I said something in the original thread but I cant remember - someone else might have done that when we were throwing out "This poo poo could go anywhere, even <xyz>" scenarios.

Plasmafountain
Jun 17, 2008

Just when I think that irony has died, theres another idiot who comes along to prove me wrong.

Plasmafountain
Jun 17, 2008

Did the BBC get back to you about that scheme BM?

Plasmafountain
Jun 17, 2008

Brown Moses posted:

Everyone has plead not guilty, so full trials, the lot. Hopefully there won't be loads of reporting restrictions.

I wonder what their game plan is since the deck seems so stacked against them.

Plasmafountain
Jun 17, 2008

Is Coulson still working for Cameron in downing street?

Plasmafountain
Jun 17, 2008

Since were on the subject:

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/south-yorkshire-police-wanted-spend-5749493

quote:

South Yorkshire police chiefs wanted to use funds donated in memory of Hillsborough disaster victims to pay for breaks in the sun for their officers, it has emerged.

The ECHO can reveal a holiday flat, microwave ovens for police station kitchens and new gym equipment were on a wish list circulated among senior officers in February 1991.

The majority of the £12m fund had been given to families, survivors and others affected by the disaster, including match stewards at the stadium.

But a significant amount of what were described as “residual” funds remained, and its trustees asked police and other organisations for ideas on how they might be used.

Former Merseyside chief constable Norman Bettison, then a Superintendent based in South Yorkshire Police’s F Division, requested £2,000 to refurbish the reception area of his police station.

Other ideas included new blinds for the force’s casualty bureau and “better gifts” for officers on sick leave.

The disaster fund included £100,000 from Liverpool FC, as well as money from Liverpool city council and the proceeds of a charity version of Ferry Cross the Mersey featuring Paul McCartney and Gerry Marsden, which was number one for three weeks in May and June, 1989.

Chair of the Hillsborough Family Support Group, Margaret Aspinall, said: “It is one of the most shocking things I’ve heard in a long time.

“It’s not something I was previously aware of and to hear how, even in 1991 when it was clear to everyone that the police were to blame, they were suggesting money should go to them to pay for microwaves and holidays. This really is quite hard to believe, and to hear Bettison suggesting money should go to refurbish a police station is sickening.

Plasmafountain
Jun 17, 2008

Brown Moses posted:

As far as I'm aware their only asking for copies of private Eye near the court to be taken off sale.

Its at Southwark, right? I wont be able to pick up a copy of the Eye when I head into uni then. :argh:

Plasmafountain
Jun 17, 2008

ewe2 posted:

I have no idea how the defence plans to counter this tidal wave of evidence, because it stretches deniability to a snapping point.

Man, you should have watched the original leveson inquiry testimony. "I do not/can not recall (exactly)" was said so many times the participants might as well have had it on a tape recorder in their pocket so they didnt wear their vocal cords out.

Plasmafountain
Jun 17, 2008

Brown Moses posted:

Due to contempt laws I'm not sure..... [edit] actually, I won't say that.

Since youre now pretty internet-famous, have any of your critics brought up something youve posted on SA as ammunition?

Plasmafountain
Jun 17, 2008

Im pretty sure we speculated on a brooks/coulson affair in the original thread. Does anyone remember who called it?

EDIT: My mistake, I called a Brooks - Cameron affair. Heres hoping :getin:

Plasmafountain fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Oct 31, 2013

Plasmafountain
Jun 17, 2008

Have they brought up brooks husbands clumsy attempt at destroying that file yet?

Plasmafountain
Jun 17, 2008

Darth Walrus posted:

He actually addressed that counterargument by pointing to the Sonia Sutcliffe case, which demonstrates (as he says) how even relatively poor people can successfully go after newspapers by invoking legal aid for a meritorious claim. I don't know how readily available that is, though, or what the criteria are for getting it.

Has everyone forgotten the legal aid cuts?

Plasmafountain
Jun 17, 2008

Are the names tippexed out particularly juicy ones or are they names of people that have already reached a settlement with the paper?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plasmafountain
Jun 17, 2008

They've been a shower of bastards before so why expect them to change?

• Locked thread