Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

Brown Moses posted:

From Peter Jukes

Going to be hard to claim ignorance that it was going on now.

Liar, liar pants on fire... Boom, done

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

Brown Moses posted:

Southwark Crown Court, but it's likely they'll be summing up by next week, so it won't be so exciting.

Summing up is the best part!

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

Brown Moses posted:

Southwark Crown Court, but it's likely they'll be summing up by next week, so it won't be so exciting.

Are you sure? There is nothing on the listings.

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

Brown Moses posted:

Back to summing up, Peter Jukes is Tweeting it. Could be there's no court listings for next week because it might be done by then. Very bad luck for Coulson and co Goodman appeared after all of them, not before as planned.

Even look at today's listings I can see anything, does the case have a combined reference? If not no biggie, there are other things to waste my time on.

Edit: I knew you were talking bollocks Brown! It's on at the old bailey not Southwark! I can never trust you again. Wait until I tell everyone on Twitter, this is the final piece of the puzzle to expose you as the CIA/FBI plant we have always suspected you of being!

!

notaspy fucked around with this message at 16:36 on May 19, 2014

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

They are powerful people, and the powerful go unpunished in the UK just like everywhere else. Justice is a pretty word used to get people to die for the powerful in wars and such, it's not something to be used on the powerful, just by them. :sigh:

Did you see how pisspoor the case against her, her husband and her pa was? If I was of a conspiratorial mind I would make with interest that all the evidence available pointed to the more politically damaging person while saving the chosen one.

This is why we need an organisation that can investigate the rich and powerful in secrecy. As soon as NI saw this coming they deleted everything, truly does government need to be moving at the speed of business.

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

Plavski posted:

"I have an old fashioned view about innocent until proven guilty. But if it turns out I've been lied to, that would be a moment for a profound apology," Cameron told MPs. "And in that event, I can tell you I will not fall short."

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/cameron-will-apologize-if-ex-aide-lied-about-hacking-1.1079236

And then he fell short and almost derailed the entire trial.

It was surprisingly bad timing was it....

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

I've seen this going around so I'd like to clarify that Coulson having access to classified documents isn't precisely the issue. His clearance allowed for supervised access to them, but his statements during Leveson mentioned unsupervised access.

Heard of an email cache [80,000 of them on a CD] that turned up and nearly derailed the trial. Anyone know the situation around how that appeared?

And what was in them?

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

I thought that it went like this

Guilty
Not guilty
Innocent

Meaning that just because you are not guilty doesn't mean you're innocent.

I'm probably wrong but if a legal person could chime in.

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

Venmoch posted:

You may be getting confused with the Scottish Legal System. Under the English system we only have two results:

Guilty
Not Guilty

The Scottish system has the following:

Guilty
Not Proven
Not Guilty

"Not Proven" under Scottish Law basically means that there is not enough evidence to convict but also not enough for the jury to be convinced that the accused is innocent. It is an acquittal but one with some added weight. (Although bear in mind, I am not a lawyer.)
Had the trial been heard in Scotland I think its a possibility that Brooks would've been found "Not Proven"

Yes I was, sorry for the confusion.

On this nonsense £100m cost is that just for this trail or does it cover the entirely of the 3 ongoing operations?

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

Brown Moses posted:

Rolf Harris was just found guilty, convicted of 12 accounts of indecent assault.

And in court, Neville Thurlbeck just stated the following
Thurlbeck says voicemail hackings "were a corporate practice" known to Kuttner, Coulson, senior NOTW exec and NI lawyer
Thurlbeck says he was one of substantial team working on Milly Dowler story directed by Stuart Kuttner and Andy Coulson in 2002
Thurlbeck says he was one of substantial team working on Milly Dowler story directed by Stuart Kuttner and Andy Coulson in 2002

That's Kuttner who was found not guilty last week.

Am I understanding this correctly? If you're found not guilty of something and then say 'haha, I totally did that' you get away with it?

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Well it's not what's happening here (Thurlbeck is accusing Kuttner, Kuttner isn't confessing) but yes - you can't be tried for the same crime twice.

Now there's a pretty big loving asterisk after that for the most serious crimes where substantial new evidence comes to light or where serious malfeasance by the trial judge or jury is suspected, and a particularly vindictive prosecutor may be able to use that confession to get a new trial on a different charge for a different crime but broadly speaking double jeopardy is still forbidden in English law, and the whole lot of them are free to publish Phone Hacking For Fun And Profit if they wish.

I understand the concept if double jeopardy, I am amazed that it's written in such a way that you can confess after acquittal and still be OK.

But as you say this is one person pointing fingers to get a lesser sentence.

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

Brown Moses posted:

Keep in mind sentencing reflects the law at the time of the offences, which have increased significantly since the time they occurred.

If he got a modern sentence what would he have expected?

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

Jedit posted:

Some of them are also running concurrently.

To answer the question about how much of the time he'll serve: he's expected to serve half the sentence in prison and be tagged for the rest. He may also have to pay prosecution costs.

Do nonces get good behaviour?

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

Plavski posted:

If he doesn't molest any more children in jail, sure.

I expect this government to make a similar mistake as the last when they fired a nonce into space but put a child in there by mistake. Bloody nu labour!!!!

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

HortonNash posted:

This government had an alleged nonce on staff in Downing Street. Cameron is such a wonderful judge of character.

Last time the Tory sleaze was all extramarital affairs, dodgy arms deals and cash4questions (we buy any question), this time it appears to be paedos, private eyes and private functions.

I amazed just how bad labour have been capitalising on all the poo poo coming out of the Tory party.

It writes itself, just a constant dribble of raw sewage that should have killed any other government but this lot just get away with it

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Tebbit kinda put his foot in it this morning on the Andrew Marr show - while I'm sure he was just looking to preemptively distance himself from any putative cover-up by waffling about the general Westminster culture he ended giving a pretty damning soundbite of "There was a culture that the Establishment had to be protected" which has been interpreted by a lot of reporters as "There definitely was a cover-up".

The genie is coming out of the bottle on this and we're rapidly approaching a point where - regardless of whether or not a cover-up existed/still exists - everything out of the mouth of every politician is going to sound like part of the cover-up. Like at this moment Labour can sit on their hands and make vague noises about maybe investigating something and it sounds like it's just Labour being their normal indecisive mealy-mouthed selves, but a few more days of this being at the top of the news agenda and people will start wondering just who they're trying to protect - there's already rumours of a "senior Labour figure" being involved in the Eighties.

They are all up to there neck in it but I get the feeling that the Tories are the worst ones of the lot (for a change) but this'll all come down to which way the papers go. This is their turn to completely poo poo all over the political class after the shoeing they have just taken.

I was talking to my dad about this whole clusterfuck and it all stems from the guardian do their job and not giving up on a story. It really is one of those storied that a journalist gets into the business for; it shows how incestuous the powerful have become. Take a bow Nick Davies.

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

I'm of the mind that paedo stuff would have stayed covered up if the wider hacking and corruption hadn't been exposed. This is where the guardian cones in. They didn't go along with this one rogue hacker line and kept digging which uncovered the Milly dowler story. It was this that blew the whole thing open and put the institutions of the land against each other.

You could argue the paedogeddon was on the cards once the newsnight report was buried but we'll never know.

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

Crashbee posted:

What does the existence of PIE say about how child abuse and paedophiles were regarded in the 70s? The people behind it were willing to out themselves publicly as paedophiles, so was it just not considered a big deal? Or were they pariahs trying to jump on the civil rights bandwagon?

Bit if both, it was an era when all the old norms were getting challenged so these guys came out from the shadows and stood up for paedosexuality and were somewhat accepted by the civil rights movement. This is why there was once a connection in the public eye between male homosexuality and paedophiles. Then everyone came to their senses and treated these abusive cunts the way they deserved.

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

Hats off to the PM, he is announcing an enquiry BUT it'll cover the NHS and the BBC along with government. Can anyone guess which organisation (s) will come off the worse? To the point they will need total root and branch reform, something best handled by the market.

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

Is this a real attempt to make this legit or an attempt by one part of the establishment to gently caress with another?

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

Darth Walrus posted:

Make what legit, exactly?

The announced enquiry into child abuse coverups.

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

Mr. Squishy posted:

I feel like I'm having a stroke. Of course that's what they were asking, what on earth else could it mean?

Haha, thanks man. I can sometimes be obtuse in my questions. Glad someone understands me (I'm looking at you mum).

This feels more like the elites doing all they can to make this a cluster gently caress so when the truth comes out there is a convenient way of saying 'look, see it was never done properly, my friend was never a peado'

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

Banano posted:

Googled Russell Tricker and these Nick Davies articles came up

http://www.nickdavies.net/2000/10/01/paedophilia-is-easy-how-police-finally-caught-up-with-a-network-of-child-abusers/

http://www.nickdavies.net/2000/10/01/paedophilia-is-easy-2-how-a-paedophile-murder-inquiry-fell-apart/

It seems up until the late nineties paedophiles were pretty cavalier and well used to getting away with it. These are Guardian articles but be warned they are pretty :nms:

O h god why did I read these? They a loving horrifying.

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

Peter Jukes is being 'investigated' my the Daily Mail for lying to his kickstarter backers.

He missed a mortgage payment due to covering the hacking trial but the heil says this is bollocks.

Guess who I believe

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

Brown Moses posted:

MediaGuido is having a go now, looks like someone has it in for Peter Jukes and has started sending out the claims to their allies in the media.

Mediaguido is that rightwing twat who thinks he's a free man of the land

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

Does anyone know if the to books on the hacking trial will be coming out on kindle?

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

I thought anything that came from ibtimes could be safely ignored as bullshit?

But if it is true I bet he is feeling a bit of a tool for being such a good soldier. He is going to want something massive when he gets out.

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

Trying to buy the beyond contempt book and I can't find the link on the hacked off website, can someone link it?

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

glitchkrieg posted:

Is Hack Attack actually out? Should have arrived yesterday according to Amazon but I've had no word on dispatch.

I bought it on kindle earlier, don't know about the dead tree version

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

OppyDoppyDopp posted:

I finished reading Hack Attack this evening. There's a lot of interesting material - I wasn't aware that an infuriated Max Mosley had promised to underwrite the cost of the early litigation against News International, which in turn provided much of the documentation that firmed up the Guardian's story.

I wonder if Murdoch & Co think the 'Nazi hooker romp' expose was worth all the aggro.

I want to know how the gently caress the IOC report didn't end just about everyone.

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

Whitefish posted:

I'm a fool - when I download the MOBI file, how do I get it on to my kindle?

You can email it to the account that is automatically created for each kindle (look in your settings) or there is a desktop app which I have never used

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

Brown Moses posted:

Not as good as my journalism based Kickstarter (still time to contribute as well *cough*)

gently caress you Brown, I just remembered how this works and I've got less drinking vouchers than I thought I did because your loving useless website hasn't taken my money yet you scumbag oval office.

(Keep up the good work, I've got plenty to keep me going for the rest of the month)

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

Whitefish posted:

Okay, thanks everyone. I probably should have been able to figure this out for myself.

No problems man, never be afraid to ask questions or ask for help. Anyone who gives you poo poo for it is a oval office and can gently caress right off.

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

I've just finished reading hack attack and beyond contempt. Both are brilliant books.

I read hack attack first; it seemed an open and shut case against the them, that there was no way they could get away with what they did but after reading beyond contempt it became obvious that there is almost no way of making them responsible for their actions.

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

Brown Moses posted:

By someone, I'm getting site moved to Google Ideas Project Shield as soon as possible, so that should stop DDoS attacks being a problem.

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

gently caress buying the mail in Sunday so can someone tell me what they said about Woolf and Brittan?

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

Brown Moses posted:

So after Brooks and co decided not to ask for costs to be repaid, the remaining two people, Charlie Brooks and Stuart Kutner, have also had their application for costs rejected, because their "conduct brought suspicion on themselves".

Can this in any way, shape or form be construed to mean that the judge thinks they are guilt as hell but the barstards got way with it? (I know the answer is no, but a man can hope)

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

In a a lot of the bribery cases that are on going there are allocations that Mrs Brooks was aware of payments. If these people are found guilty doesn't take also make her guilt by extension? And if so would that be a basis of a retrial?

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

Rumfitt:"police + prosecution allowed themselves to be spoonfed evidence by mighty multinational [News Int] desperate to save its own skin"

This was a tweet from @lisaocarroll, and I have to agree. I think NI have been very clever in who they have given up. Makes me wonder what they have buried while we have been distracted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

Mr. Squishy posted:

Her web-guru was exposed as a sex-pest and I guess she's not found another one.

Pedo to be accurate, and in a hosed up why fitting for what is being discussed here

• Locked thread