Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

This might be a bit tangental but the Leveson report included a section on how the media is perpetually disparaging and demeaning trans* individuals. This includes articles such as this wonderful little shitshow by Littlejohn on a primary school teacher, Lucy Meadows.

http://web.archive.org/web/20121221195332/http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-2251347/Nathan-Uptons-wrong-body--hes-wrong-job.html

It got pulled down this week. Did Littlejohn have a change of conscience about being an enormous shitstain?

Ah, of course not. Lucy Meadows killed herself after three months of vicious hate mail and death threats.

http://freethoughtblogs.com/zinniajones/2013/03/trans-woman-commits-suicide-after-being-bullied-by-the-daily-mail/

Christ.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

My understanding is that, while as an American you'd only be subject to American libel law under the Securing the Protection of our Enduring and Established Constitutional Heritage Act (which in a rare warm-and-fuzzy way was passed unanimously in 2010 and abbreviates to the SPEECH Act), you might still get done for contempt of court, which is what I would imagine that they would pursue you for.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

A Winner is Jew posted:

Wow, yeah they're pretty much hosed. Destroying evidence usually means the judge will direct juries to think of the most damming things that could have been contained in that evidence for which ever side was in possession of them when they were destroyed, then consider it's true. Well that's what happens in the US anyway.

That has to be my favorite rule in American evidence. I don't think it's "the most damning things," though, but it's the most reasonable negative inference. So if it's, say, a case of embezzlement, if you burn your accountbooks so that the prosecution can't access them, the prosecution is allowed to present that as evidence that the accountbooks would have incriminated the defendant.

Then again, I am an extraordinarily bad law student, so I could be talking straight out my arse.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Just have the Americans do it. We don't have to worry about being involved, the political ramifications are moot, and your libel suits are unenforceable here.

• Locked thread