Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ufarn
May 30, 2009
Is News Corp. still on the line for bribing a foreign government official?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ufarn
May 30, 2009
These are pretty much what I'd expect the ramblings of a syphilitic mind to be like. It's the textual equivalent of frothing and shouting expletives and nonsense with spittle flying in all directions.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Jeez, you'd think Saddam was a Mormon judging by those pants.

Looks like Rupe might be getting a taste of his own medicine. Can't throw money to make that problem go away.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Either works for me. Which day are they waiting to break this? Is there a particular day that's better for it to catch on in the news cycles?

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Man, this story is going to break while I'm sound asleep, isn't it.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Brown Moses posted:

The ideal Christmas present, the Leveson Inquiry Report, only £250. Alternatively there's the Leveson Report Overview for the cheap price of £29.75. Fun for all the family.
Any idea what the page numbers are in both? It's not exactly heavy on the details.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Illuminati by Nature posted:

There'll be a PDF, HTML and (knowing TSO) an XML version published probably at the same time. That money is for the published bound copy. Hilariously you buy any committee report for pretty much the same amount. Doubt there is much of a demand for that though...
Hence the high costs, perhaps. Even if they let someone like Lulu do it.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

PiCroft posted:

I'm disappointed Hunt and Cameron basically got a free ride, but I imagine Leveson was wary of anything that might politicise the report. If Hunt and Cameron get off scot free (all but certain) I'll be angry but if it comes with the press having a significantly improved regulator I'll be mollified.
Hunt was mentioned pretty explicitly in the speech, though, with regards to the Sky bid and Hunt's secret collaboration with them.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Are there, like, any journalists left in Britain now? Kinda surprising that there isn't room to employ Brown Moses somewhere. :p

ufarn
May 30, 2009
It confounds me that Piers Morgan has eluded capture.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
What's the naming convention for these operations? Is it alphabetic?

ufarn
May 30, 2009
I'm not the praying sort, but I might just make an exception.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Another kind of Hackgate is the one going on with Bloomberg, who've abused their Bloomberg terminal client data to find information for their articles:

New York Post posted:

In one instance, a Bloomberg reporter asked a Goldman executive if a partner at the bank had recently left the firm — noting casually that he hadn’t logged into his Bloomberg terminal in some time, sources added.

Goldman later learned that Bloomberg staffers could determine not only which of its employees had logged into Bloomberg’s proprietary terminals but how many times they had used particular functions, insiders said.

New York Times posted:

The news gathering technique appears more widespread than the Goldman incident, which was first reported by The New York Post. A preliminary analysis at Bloomberg revealed that “several hundred” reporters had used the technique, a person briefed on the analysis said. (Bloomberg employs more than 2,400 journalists worldwide. A spokesman declined to comment on the analysis and said no reporters had been fired.)

There are also fears that the monitoring may have gone beyond Wall Street. Banking regulators at the Federal Reserve are examining whether their own employees were subject to tracking by Bloomberg reporters, according to people briefed on the matter. A spokeswoman for the Fed declined to comment.

BuzzFeed: Bloomberg Execs Knew Journalists Were Tracking Clients In 2011.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

wibblewobble posted:

Do we know whether there's a pre nuptial agreement? Hopefully there isn't and Murdoch dies of grief as his precious little empire gets torn apart.
You'll still need to find the fucker's Horcruxes.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

thehustler posted:

This secret recording of Murdoch is starting to get some traction, aye?
It's on Gawker, so yes.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

prefect posted:

After it was revealed that Apple paid almost zero US tax, the CEO was called before Congress, where the representatives (or maybe Senators) took turns kissing his rear end with extraordinary fervor. Please tell me they do things differently in the UK.
You should watch the UK hearings. They were quite entertaining.

There's a reason Starbucks suddenly felt an urge to pay their taxes in the UK - and that David Cameron started suggesting companies follow suit.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Lots of love.

The cherry on top of this is to hear this news broken in the most understated, British manner by the likes of Nick Davies on Twitter.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
This may sound like a weird question, BM, but why are you only getting the attention in MSM you are now - and not way earlier, such as when you applied to the Beeb for a job?

Is it because you are so central to the story of Syria's chemical weapons - which themselves are so central to our (Western) discussion and understanding of that conflict?

ufarn
May 30, 2009
On the first day of Christmas, Brown Moses gave to me ...

ufarn
May 30, 2009

SedanChair posted:

What I don't understand is why Cameron gets to "apologize" for hiring Coulson. Supposedly he didn't know about his crimes, so why would he apologize? Doesn't that come off as hollow, meaningless pandering yes I know it's David Cameron? If he was going to apologize, shouldn't he apologize for kowtowing to Murdoch? Who is supposed to buy this poo poo?
Cameron promised to apologize, if Coulson would get convicted. Don't have a link handy, but it happened a while ago.

It's also why it was such a non-apology.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Grats on launching, Moses. Looks like you did a great job of announcing it. You even made a mailing list.

Can't help reading it as bellendcat every now and then, though. :P

ufarn
May 30, 2009
You should put a link to bellingcat/your kickstarter in your Twitter bio, BM.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Brown Moses posted:

Kickstarter has also asked me to write an article for them which they'll publish today, and are going to promote it really hard for the rest of the week. Seems they really liked the Kickstarter, and they said this was the best Kickstarter update they've ever read.
Have they at least acknowledged the awkward irony that they turned down your first prject?

ufarn
May 30, 2009
It's up now FWIW.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Darth Walrus posted:

I'm curious - have any countries, like, say, America or France, had similarly large and high-profile abuse scandals that we've learned about in a similar amount of detail?
Nope. But the UK system is also sui generis; it takes all the worst elements of parliamentarism, aristocracy, and bicameral systems, and adds old, white Etonites to the mix for the worst possible result.

France has its share of extra-marital affairs and such, but the public don't seem to care much about it.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

notaspy posted:

I would be happy to find out Ted Heath was holding bunger bunger parties with all the spies from Russia rather than find out that my country is run by peadoes
The bunga-bunga parties had minors, but it was okay, because they were prostitutes. :/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Munin posted:

I thought the problem was that they were prostitutes. Namely they were above the age of consent but were being paid for their services (in theory just company and stripping...) which is illegal for minors.
Ruby was a minor - presumably unbeknownst to Berlusconi.

• Locked thread