Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
It's :psyduck:-worthy seeing some Lib Dems on Twitter praising Cameron as the valiant defender of press freedom, and those most likely to support Clegg at that.

Anyone got any parts of the Report to share? I recommend the entirety of F.6., it's a brilliant read.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

Lizard Combatant posted:

For a bit of levity, I submit this cross post from AusPol. How does News Ltd's react to the suggestion of regulation?

They're only just now shocked that Conroy's a piece of poo poo?

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

JoylessJester posted:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-21848746

I'm Ian Hislop, and I shouldn't be regulated whahaha wha.

I think Hislop more than anyone has the right to be concerned; he's not known as the most sued man in Britain for nothing. That said, the Eye haven't actually had a libel writ against them in ages. And Private Eye actually got some praise from Leveson. It's a shame that his objections on practicality (the Eye's legal defence fund is kept up by donations) is being drowned about about the powerful media barons whining that they aren't allowed to break the law any more.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

Good morning. In less than an hour, union activists from here will join others from around Scotland. And you will be launching the largest doorstep battle in the history of Leftkind. "Leftkind." That word should have new meaning for all of us today. We can't be consumed by our petty differences anymore. We will be united in our common interests. Perhaps it's fate that today is the Fourth of July, and you will once again be fighting for our freedom... Not from Murdoch, Mandelson, or Lord Sainsbury... but from capitalism. We are fighting for our right to live. To exist. And should we win the day, the Fourth of July will no longer be known as an American holiday, but as the day the Left declared in one voice: "We will not go quietly into the night!" We will not vanish without a fight! We're going to live on! We're going to survive! Today we celebrate our Independence Day!

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

How about you gently caress off, Murdoch?

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

There was one good thing about Hillsborough: it still keeps Liverpool together, and it keeps most of the footballing world together.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mFX07w2-4ls

:unsmith:

TinTower fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Aug 19, 2013

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

Political parties are also required, under PPERA, to include similar information. Which often leads to expensive pulping operations when they forget. It's not a laughing matter.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

I'm almost certain that the Harris sentence was fit around his age; he turns 90 in, you guessed it, 5 years and 9 months.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

notaspy posted:

If he got a modern sentence what would he have expected?

Maximum he could've got today is 24 years. The crime of sexual assaulting a child now carries a 14-year sentence, presumably for each count?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

So, after a trans woman was literally hounded to suicide last year by press intrusion into her private life, you would think they'd have learnt not to do it again, right?

Hahahahahahahahaha nope:

quote:

Kellie Maloney, the former boxing promoter Frank Maloney, has revealed she was forced to go public about her sex change operation after two newspapers threatened to expose her.

On Sunday, Maloney told the Sunday Mirror she was undergoing gender reassignment but, speaking in her first live television interview on Good Morning Britain, a "very nervous" Maloney admitted she had been doorstepped by journalists in February.

"I wanted the transition very privately because of my family - they are going through a lot as well and I wanted them protected," Maloney said.

"But unfortunately someone exposed me at a group which I was going to - I was indoors and one day you get that dreaded knock at the door, it was journalist, I won’t say from which paper and obviously I denied all knowledge of it and they said they were going to run the story on the Sunday, so I got my lawyers involved and we had to sort of threaten injunctions.

"That was going on in February and we kept it under control and six weeks ago another newspaper turned up at my house, then they turned up at my daughter's house, they turned up at all members of my family’s house so I spoke with my lawyer and a couple of people who have been very good to me and I said, ‘look, I’m living in the shadow, I’m living in the dark, I can’t go out of my house no more and I’m terrified’ and I started switching back to Kellie and Frank and my head was getting so confused about it.

"I said I’d only do this as long as I’ve got control because previously transgender people have been ridiculed in the press and I didn’t want that to happen to me and I didn’t want it to happen to others because it would terrify others of coming out. So we built a relationship with the Sunday Mirror and they handled it very well and it came out and since then it’s exploded, but it was never my intention. My intention was just to bring a book out in 18 months when I had completely transitioned and my family had got used to it because they are under terrible pressure at the moment.”

On the reaction since the news broke Maloney added: "It’s been really good - from people I never expected it, like Stan Collymore, Lennox Lewis and other people in boxing have been fantastic, but more it has been great in the transgender community which is really what I want to help.

"There’s been some mothers that have got in contact via a support group and they’ve got young children that are going through it and they have asked would I come and talk to them and I’ve been invited to talk at a school so it’s something that I really want to do because, you know, I went through a lot of pain and struggle and I really would like to help them as much as possible now, now that I’ve sort of come out."

• Locked thread